Home' Greymouth Star : August 28th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 3
Death on fishing vessel
A Nelson man died after being
struck by a wire on a commercial
fishing vessel. Leighton Muir, 27,
died aboard the Talley ’s operated
fishing vessel Captain M J Souza
near Kiribati on Sunday afternoon. A
Maritime New Zealand spokeswoman
said a crew member had been “struck
by a wire under tension”. Both
Maritime NZ and the Transport
Accident Investigation Commission
were investigating. Talley ’s general
manager Tony Hazlett said details
remained unclear. — APNZ
No Dudley appeal
The Crown will not appeal a
decision to discharge a teen who
assaulted schoolboy Stephen D udley
before his death last year. The
18-year-old, who attacked 15-year-
old Stephen after rugby practice,
was discharged without conviction
at the start of this month in the
High Court at Auckland. Justice
Helen Winkelmann’s decision was
challenged by Crown prosecutors
who referred the case to the
Solicitor-General’s office. However,
yesterday the Deputy Solicitor-
General said the Crown would not
appeal the decision. — APNZ
A man has been charged over
shooting a police officer in Hamilton
earlier this week. A 35-year-old
man, who was also injured in
Monday ’s incident, was released
from hospital yesterday. He appeared
in the Hamilton District Court on
charges over Monday ’s incident
and over incidents in Kihikihi, near
Te Awamutu, on Sunday. Police
had earlier named the man as Zeb
McCallion. He also faces charges
for alleged offending in May and
June and will next appear in court on
September 10. — APNZ-NZN
A four-wheel-drive vehicle rolled on
top of a woman and pinned her legs
for two hours on Tuesday before she
was found. The 53-year-old woman
had got out of the vehicle to open
a gate in the Hanmer River-Emu
Plains area when it rolled back into
a bank and tipped on to its side,
trapping her. She was found about
9pm by her husband who had gone
out looking for her. She was freed
and treated at the scene by emergency
ser vices before being flown to
Christchurch Hospital in a moderate
to serious condition. — APNZ
Big Wednesday draw
There was no division one winner
in Big Wednesday draw No 462 last
night. Successful numbers were 3, 5,
27, 30, 41, 47; coin toss, heads.
Numbers in Keno draw No 10140: 8,
10, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 35, 43, 45, 49, 50,
54, 60, 65, 68, 74, 75, 76, 77. Draw No
10141: 6, 11, 13, 17, 22, 23, 25, 26, 36,
43, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 67, 68, 74, 77, 79.
Draw No 10142: 4, 8, 31, 33, 34, 38,
40, 42, 45, 47, 56, 64, 65, 67, 68, 73, 74,
75, 79, 80. Draw No 10143: 8, 11, 13,
14, 16, 20, 27, 32, 34, 37, 41, 42, 44, 50,
51, 54, 68, 71, 74, 77.
Swarm of quakes near White Island
A man who allegedly chased another
man with a running chainsaw this
week appeared before a registrar in the
Alexandra District Court yesterday.
Hunter Craig Cavanagh, 45, of Lake
Roxburgh, entered no plea on a charge
of assaulting Michael Harr using a
chainsaw as a weapon in Alexandra.
He was given a registrar’s adjournment
to reappear in the Alexandra court on
The incident happened about 2.30pm
on Tuesday following what police
described as a “heated argument ”
between two men on the forecourt of an
Alexandra ser vice station.
— Otago Daily Times
Court sequel to
A 24-year-old woman was choked
unconscious when her hair and scarf
were caught in a vegetable conveyor belt
The incident happened at a vegetable
processing company in Bankside, 50km
south-west of Christchurch, on Monday,
a Garden City Helicopters spokeswoman
The woman’s hair and scarf were caught
in the belt, which pulled her in and the
scarf tightened around her neck.
“She had quite marked ligature marks
around her neck,” the spokeswoman said.
The incident left the woman
unconscious for about five to 10 minutes.
The scarf was cut away by the woman’s
co-workers, she said.
She was flown by rescue helicopter to
Christchurch Hospital where she was
treated and discharged on Tuesday.
Work Safe New Zealand said it was
investigating the incident. — APNZ
The Geonet seismic network
has detected a sequence of small
earthquakes near White Island
this morning. The largest quake
was magnitude 3.3 and was located
within 5km of the island.
The earthquake sequence was
Since 9.25am today Geonet had
located five earthquakes near White
Island and recorded several smaller
ones that could not be located.
All of the earthquakes appeared to
be within 5km of White Island. The
size of the locatable quakes ranged
from magnitude 2.5 to 3.3 and were
shallow (less than 10km deep).
Geonet had not recorded or
obser ved any changes on the volcano
since the earthquakes started.
Yesterday they measured volcanic
gases at the island and the results
did not show any changes in the
amount of gas been released from
relatively frequent near White Island
and had not resulted in changes in
activity on the island in the past, the
Geonet announcement said.
“ White Island remains in a state
of volcanic unrest. A range of
eruptive activity can occur under
these conditions and eruptions can
start with little or no prior warning.
Larger eruptions can eject mud and
rocks and may affect the crater floor
area. The volcanic alert level remains
at level 1.”
GNS Science was continuing to
closely monitor the activity at White
Island through the Geonet project.
— APNZ-Bay of Plenty Times
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm August 27, 2014
a2 Milk Company
2.22 +0.045 582.3
Auckland Intl Airpt
3.725 -0 .005 295.8
ANZ Banking Gr
37.20 -0 .10 27.72
- 0 .005 24.42
5.61 -0 .04 6.15
Diligent BM Services
4.45 +0.03 50 .00
DNZ Prop Fund
9.57 -0 .02 2.00
4.99 +0.04 67.53
9.25 +0.02 245.3
Fonterra Shldrs Fnd
6.15 +0.02 7.75
1.82 +0.005 1083
Goodman Prop Tr
1.125 -0 .005 28.10
Guinness Peat Gr
2.43 -0 .005 7.78
3.28 +0.01 17.88
Kiwi Prop Tr
15.01 +0.01 0.03
4.62 +0.02 19.77
Mighty River Power
0.78 -0 .005 116.7
0.82 +0.02 82.55
15.85 +0.04 0.58
Prop For Ind
8.16 -0 .02 24.04
1.60 +0.03 225.0
Sky Network TV
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
3.00 +0.03 43.90
3.76 +0.02 104.5
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
1.46 -0 .02 1.05
3.10 -0 .02 0.31
- 0 .05 109.1
3.97 -0 .01 9.86
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, August 28, 2014
DECLINERS: 17 TRADED: 82
Aluminium High Grade
0.9339 0 .8836
Aaron Rhys McDonald, 39, at his sentencing today.
21 years for
A P user who raped and murdered a
Christchurch woman before attacking
two hitchhikers on the West Coast
has today been sentenced to life
imprisonment with a minimum non-
parole period of 21 years.
Aaron Rhys McDonald, 39, spat on the
courtroom floor after being sentenced in
the High Court at Christchurch this
As well as receiving a sentence on
the murder charge of 21 years in jail
before he can apply for parole, he was
sentenced to preventive detention on the
rape charge with a minimum non-parole
period of seven years, eight months.
At the start of the sentencing, Justice
Christian Whata imposed widespread
suppressions, including the identity of
victims, the full summary of facts, and
victim impact statements.
After the March 29 murder in
Christchurch of the 24-year old woman
referred to in court today only under the
name “Jane”, McDonald, a kitchenhand
from Otaki, fled to the West Coast
where he picked up two foreign hitch-
hikers and assaulted them.
McDonald picked up the two female
hitchhikers, named as “Susan” and
“Karen” in court, near the White Heron
Tearooms in Whataroa but they soon
became “uneasy ” with the situation.
Their fears were realised when
McDonald produced a metal bar and
told the victims to keep still and “not do
Fearing for her life and seeing a car
coming towards them, Susan undid her
seat belt and dived out of the moving car.
She suffered a concussion, a deep
abrasive wound on her right hip, and
“road burn” injuries to her right shoulder,
forearms, and right lower leg.
Karen believed Susan had been
threatened with a double-barrel shotgun
and when McDonald did a u-turn, she
thought he was going to run her friend
She produced a fruit knife from
her pack and held it to the front of
McDonald’s neck and demanded to be
let out of the locked vehicle.
He fought back, got the knife and
stabbed her three or four times on the
right side of her neck.
The victim pleaded with McDonald to
stop. He then unlocked the door and she
“These victims were very fortunate
that the first two vehicles which stopped
after the attack contained advanced
paramedics who administered high level
medical attention,” a redacted version of
Justice Whata’s sentencing remarks said.
The pair were admitted to hospital and
had since suffered major post-traumatic
stress from the attack.
McDonald drove away from the scene
and sparked a high-speed police chase
for 200km in South Westland.
He threw Molotov cocktails from his
vehicle and then got into a three-hour
stand-off with armed police before he
was eventually taken into custody at 3am
on March 31.
Justice Whata said the scale and
type of McDonald’s sexual offending,
combined with the assessed high risk
of it recurring, “compel him to the
conclusion that preventive detention is
required” in this case.
The court ’s public gallery was packed
with family and friends today.
Crown prosecutor Claire Boshier told
the court that none of the victims or
their families wanted to speak to the
The victims had suffered “immense
personal tragedy” and media actions had
only compounded their distress, she said.
“ Poignant and heartfelt ” victim impact
statements were provided for the judge,
but their details were suppressed.
Ms Boshier said the victim was “dearly
loved” and had an exceptionally strong
bond with her family.
She was a good person who took
McDonald into her home because she
wanted to help him.
But now her family would never see
her again, never attend her wedding, or
have her children around as part of their
The hitchhikers have also suffered
physically and emotionally, Ms Boshier
said, and the effects would be long-
The murder and rape of “Jane” was
“ brutal, callous and cruel” and amounted
to mental and physical torture, the
The Crown pushed for a sentence of
preventive detention given his significant
and ongoing to the community.
There was no doubt he would receive
a lengthy period in jail before he could
even apply for parole, and even then
he might not get parole, the Crown
But he would still remain a risk given
his “ingrained personality and character
traits” which were at the root of his
offending and are difficult to change.
Ms Boshier said McDonald “operates
at a superficial level” and could not
meaningfully engage in treatment aimed
to reduce his extremely high risk.
convictions, he has shown only a
“minimal appreciation” that his actions
have had on others.
Defence counsel Elizabeth Bulger said
that McDonald, who has grown a bushy
beard while in custody, was high on
methamphetamine at the time.
She accepted that life imprisonment
with a lengthy period of non-parole was
inevitable but argued that preventive
detention was not necessary.
Justice Christian Whata said there was
nothing in McDonald’s childhood that
could possibly foreshadow his offending.
His adult years had been blighted by
drug use,in particular methamphetamine,
the judge said.
Justice Whata said it was difficult
to describe the level of McDonald’s
depravity. — APNZ
A 3D-printed nose guard has
earned a Wellington student the
top prize in the New Zealand leg
of a global design competition.
Zach Challies took away the
top prize in the New Zealand
part of the James Dyson Awards
for his shock-absorbing base for
Mr Challies learned that people
who wear a prosthetic nose after
an injury or surgery can have their
prosthesis accidentally knocked
off when playing sports or being
jostled in busy places.
The 24-year-old Victoria
University School of Design
masters student created a scaffold
that fits under the prosthesic
nose to anchor it and prevent
The base is connected to the
skull with magnets that fix to
implants in the wearer’s skull.
Mr Challies said his design can
be printed for less than $50.
A second part of Mr Challies’s
design is a shock-absorbing guard
His design was a 3D printed
facade and shock-absorbing guard
that would sit flat against the face
while still allowing airflow.
Mr Challies said it would cost
less than $100 and take two hours
Current replacements for
prosthetic noses cost more than
$1000 and can take a while to be
made, he said.
He researched the design
through consultation with a
person who wears a prosthesis
and maxillofacial and prosthetic
“It’s just nice to raise the
awareness of this condition, this
day-to-day struggle of someone
who has to wear a prosthesis,” he
The judges were unanimous in
Head judge David Lovegrove
said Mr Challies’s design
showed empathy for a delicate
situation and the solution
had real potential to make a
significant impact to the wearer’s
“Zach has undertaken a
thorough exploration to address
the problems facing wearers of
“ His solution has the potential
to improve the rehabilitation for
someone who is vulnerable and
“ He has given the wearer a
number of viable options, whereas
previously there have been no
choices available in traditional
prosthetics,” he said.
Mr Challies won $4000 from
the James Dyson Foundation,
and an official fee prize package
from the Intellectual Property
Office of New Zealand tailored to
his design’s intellectual property
needs, and a year’s membership to
The Designer’s Institute.
Supported by the James
Dyson Foundation, the
international design award is run
in 18 countries and recognises
emerging designers who have
developed inventions reflect the
Dyson design philosophy, to
make products that solve everyday
problems. — APNZ
A nose for good design
Zach Challies with examples of the outside and inside of a 3D-printed nose guard, which won him the
top prize in the James Dyson Awards.
A Lawrence man has been found
guilty of sexually violating and
indecently assaulting a young girl in
the early 1990s.
Wayne Derek Hudson, 44, was
found guilty by a Dunedin District
Court jury yesterday on one charge
of indecent assault and three charges
of sexual violation by unlawful sexual
He was found not guilty on one
charge of indecent assault, which was
alleged to have happened some time
between August 1987 and August
After four hours of deliberations
the jury found him guilty of kissing
the complainant inappropriately
while taking her duck shooting
between August 1991 and August
1994 (amended from 1993), when
the girl was 11.
He was also found guilty of sexual
violation by digitally penetrating
the girl numerous times when
she was staying at his home in
Lawrence between May 1990 and
August 1992 and on two separate
occasions between May 1990 and
August 1994 (amended from 1993)
and between August 1991 and
remembered what the defendant
did to her and roughly when it
She said she had decided as a
child not to say anything as she was
“petrified” of the defendant and
thought that nobody would believe
Judge Michael Crosbie remanded
Hudson in custody for sentencing on
October 7. — Otago Daily Times
Man convicted of indecent assault on young girl
Conser vative Party leader Colin
Craig has not ruled out working
with New Zealand First should
his party achieve a 5% party vote
needed to get into Parliament.
His comments follow a surge for
both parties in the latest 3 News-
Reid Research poll, which was
conducted in the week following
the release of Nicky Hager ’s book
The poll had New Zealand First
up 1.7 points to 6.3% and the
Conser vative Party almost doubled
its support, up 2.1 points to 4.6%.
Support for the National Party
dropped by 2.5 points to 45%, and
the party would need the support of
NZ First to govern.
The Labour Party also took a hit,
falling 2.6 points to 26.4%.
Mr Craig told Radio New
Zealand today that grassroot
support for his party was increasing
“out in the hustings”.
“ We’ ll keep going up, we’ve got
the upward momentum and the
other big thing to remember is we
always poll higher on voting day
than we do in polls beforehand.”
He did not believe the full impact
of Mr Hager’s book had come
through yet and the party might
pick up more support over the next
couple of weeks.
do think this fallout,
particularly for National obviously,
is the discussion around dirty
politics (as it) gets understood by
(the) voting public at large.”
The party was “hunting down” the
5% party vote and Mr Craig said
he believed it would achieve the
He also said it was possible the
party’s Napier candidate Garth
McVicar would win the seat there.
Mr Craig did not rule out
entering into a coalition that
included New Zealand First, but
said its leader Winston Peters was
not prepared to share a platform
with the Conser vatives.
“ He’d have to get over himself a
little bit I think.”
Mr Peters told Radio NZ he
thought the poll was “rogue” in
regards to the Conser vatives’
increase in popularity.
“ You’re all getting slightly ahead
of yourselves — just because you’ve
got millions of dollars, it doesn’t
mean you’re going to win an
He ruled out working with the
Internet Mana and Maori Parties,
but Mr Peters would not be drawn
on whether he would work with the
“ When we’ve heard everybody’s
argument and everybody’s policy, in
will make up our mind.
“I’m not ducking the question, I’m
ensuring that we have the full grasp
of all the facts before we make a
The poll had the Green Party
on 13.5% support, while Internet
Mana had 2.1% support.
The sur vey, which polled 1000
people, had a margin of error of
plus or minus 3.1% . — APNZ
Craig not ruling out
working with NZ First
A 49-year-old man who has been
charged with distributing objectionable
material has been granted bail, police say.
The Waikato man appeared in the
Rotorua District Court yesterday and
faced four counts of the charge.
He was granted name suppression and
released on bail with strict conditions,
The man was arrested and charged late
on Tuesday night.
Police said the was a “complex and
sensitive on-going investigation” and
would not comment further while the
case was before the court. — APNZ
may face retrial
A former political candidate faces
the prospect of a retrial for attempted
murder after a High Court jury failed to
reach a verdict yesterday.
Maurice Wairau, a former Ikaroa-
Rawhiti by-election candidate, was on
trial at the High Court in Napier this
week for the attempted murder of a
Hastings social worker on December 20,
The jury deliberated for four and a
half hours yesterday afternoon before
indicating to Justice Susan Thomas they
were unable to reach a unanimous or
Crown prosecutor Clayton Walker said
Wairau had been remanded in custody
until September 23, when the Crown
will advise its position on a retrial.
— APNZ-Hawke’s Bay Today
A man will appear in court in Nelson
charged with reckless wounding after a
woman suffered serious eye injuries at a
bar in Richmond.
The 24-year-old man, who was arrested
yesterday, would appear in the Nelson
District Court on September 2, police
A shard of glass became lodged in the
woman’s eye in the incident at the Star
and Garter Tavern on August 3.
At the time police said a group of
people were kicked out of the pub in the
early hours and shortly after a member
of the group threw a glass object into the
smoking area of the tavern.
It shattered and a shard lodged in the
eye of a woman who was sitting in the
area. She sustained serious injuries to her
eye. — APNZ
Links Archive August 27th 2014 August 29th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page