Home' Greymouth Star : September 2nd 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Tuesday, September 2, 2014
An Indian man has been granted a
divorce on the grounds that his wife had
an “insatiable appetite for sex,” reports
The man filed for divorce in a Mumbai
court in January saying his wife was
“aggressive and autocratic,” and had
harassed him over sex demands since
their marriage in April 2012, the Deccan
The judge dissolved the marriage,
saying the woman did not respond to a
summons ordering her to appear in court,
the Daily News and Analysis reported.
The man said his wife forced him to
have medicines to increase his sexual
stamina, and he claimed that he had
been admitted to hospital once because
of her demands.
“It is intolerable for him and he cannot
bear any more atrocities at the hands of
the respondent (woman),” the petition
“He apprehends danger to his life and
limb. The respondent has made his life
horrible by her cruel behaviour.” — DPA
Man wins divorce
Syrian army soldiers fire during a battle in Syria with rebels near the border fence with the Israeli-occupied Golan
Syrian army, rebels fight near Israel
Italy’s navy rescued 3866 undocumented
migrants in boats between Sicily and
the North African coast over the past
weekend, authorities say.
In a statement, the navy said the illegal
immigrants rescued between Friday and
Sunday were aboard boats that had set
off from North Africa.
Since the beginning of the year around
114,000 immigrants have arrived on
Italian shores, according to Italy’s
The rescue effort is costing 300,000
euros ($470,177) a day and Italy has
requested assistance from the European
Commission which last week announced
the launch of the enhanced role of the
European Agency for the Management
of the External Borders (Frontex),
known as Frontex Plus.
Frontex Plus is designed mainly to help
Italy manage the influx of immigrants
in the Mediterranean and depends on
voluntary contributions from other
countries of the European Union.
Ein Zivan (Golan Heights)
Heavy fighting erupted overnight
between the Syrian army and
Islamist rebels on the Golan
Heights, where 44 peacekeepers
from Fiji are being held by
militants and scores of their fellow
blue helmets from the Philippines
escaped after resisting capture.
Syria’s three-year civil war reached
the frontier with Israeli-controlled
territory last week when Islamist
fighters overran a crossing point in
the line that has separated Israelis
from Syrians in the Golan Heights
since a 1973 war.
The fighters also turned against
the United Nations blue helmets
from a peacekeeping force that
has patrolled the ceasefire line for
40 years. After the 44 Fijians were
captured on Thursday, more than
70 Filipinos were besieged at two
locations for two days.
All the Filipinos reached safety
over the weekend. Thirty-two
were rescued from one outpost on
Saturday and 40 escaped from the
other position early on Sunday
while rebels were sleeping after a
Fiji says it is negotiating the
release of its 44 troops. The UN
says it is not sure where they are
being held. The Nusra Front, Syria’s
affiliate of al Qaeda, says it is
holding them because the UN force
A senior Gulf official and a rebel
commander close to Nusra Front
said Qatar was acting as a mediator
in talks to secure the Fijians’ release.
It was not clear whether forces
loyal to Syrian President Bashar
al-Assad had managed to retake
control of the Q uneitra crossing
from the Nusra Front rebels.
explosions from mortar shells and
other munitions could be heard
on the Israeli-occupied side of the
frontier and combatants could be
clearly seen targeting each other
with their weapons.
At least one tank from the Syrian
army was also involved and some
rebels could be seen a few metres
away from the frontier fence.
A large Syrian flag that had
been flying for days between
the Quneitra crossing and the
abandoned town was taken down
and a UN position in the area,
thought to be unmanned, was
pounded with mortar shells.
The Syrian Obser vatory for
Human Rights, which monitors
violence in the Syrian civil war, said
the Nusra Front and allied fighters
were battling government forces
near the Q uneitra crossing and in
the nearby village of al-Hamiydiah.
The Obser vatory said there were
casualties on both sides.Obser vatory
founder Rami Abdelrahman said
the Nusra Front ’s aim appeared
to be “to end once and for all the
regime’s presence in the area and it
also appears that the goal is to expel
the international obser vers”.
The UN peacekeeping force in the
area, known as UNDOF, includes
1223 troops from India, Ireland,
Nepal and the Netherlands as well
as the Fijians and Filipinos who
came under attack last week.
The Filipino blue helmets had
been besieged in outposts known
as positions 68 and 69 until their
rescue from one on Saturday and
escape from the other early on
Sunday. The UN said both Syria
and Israel helped in the rescue.
The Filipino army chief, General
Gregorio Catapang, said his
men had defended themselves in
defiance of an order from their UN
commander, who had told them to
surrender their weapons to prevent
harm befalling the captured Fijians.
“The UNDOF commander wants
to save the Fijians at the expense of
the Philippines,” Catapang said at
the main army base in Manila after
speaking to Filipino soldiers on the
Golan Heights by Skype.
However, a senior UN official said
no order to surrender their weapons
had been given to the Filipinos.
The UN has announced the
Philippines will pull out of
UNDOF. Austria, Japan and
Croatia have also withdrawn
from the force because of the
deteriorating situation as the civil
war in Syria reaches the Golan. On
Sunday, Israel’s military said it had
shot down a drone that flew from
Syria into Israeli-controlled air
space over the Golan. — Reuters
Fijian peacekeepers held by Islamist group
Conser vative soulmates Narendra
Modi and Shinzo Abe have declared ties
between India and Japan were moving
to a “new level”, during a summit
pregnant with promise for a relationship
they hope will offer a counter weight to
Modi’s first foreign visit outside the
Indian sub-continent has been a relaxed
display of personal chemistry between
the leaders of countries that bookend an
ever-more assertive Beijing, and which
both have prickly relations with their
Despite falling short of launching a
“two-plus-two” security framework of
foreign and defence ministers, the two
men hailed the transformative potential
of the partnership between Asia’s second
and third largest economies.
“The world knows the 21st century
is Asia’s century,” Modi told a joint
press conference last evening after the
“ But its shape and quality are not
yet clear. This will be decided by how
Japan and India work together,” he
said, adding: “I think our relationship is
moving to a new level.”
Abe also lauded a tie-up he said was
“the one with the most potential in the
“ Together, working hand-in-hand
with Prime Minister Modi, I intend
to fundamentally strengthen our
relationship in every field to elevate our
relationship to a special strategic and
global partnership,” he said.
Both nations are wary of China’s
growing ambition to be seen as the
regional keystone and are keen to curb
its activity in the East and South China
Seas and in the Indian Ocean.
Tokyo and New Delhi have separate
long-running territorial disputes with
Beijing, which is widely seen as having
pushed its claims more aggressively in
Underlining the point, Chinese
coastguard ships briefly sailed into
waters off the Japanese-controlled
Senkaku islands yesterday, officials said.
China calls the islands the Diaoyus.
While neither man directly addressed
the Chinese elephant in the room, Modi
left little doubt it weighed heavily.
At a speech to business leaders earlier in
the day, he lambasted the expansionism
of yesteryear and said it was not a viable
model for Asia.
“There are 18th-century-style ways
and thinking that involve expanding
(geographically) by taking away the
land of another nation and going into
the seas,” he said through a translator,
without making any specific reference to
“If Asia is to become the leader in the
21st century, Japan and India should
lead” and promote a path of peaceful
development, he said.
Washington is eager for the two
countries to step up their co-operation
by way of offering a regional balance to
China, at a time when its own military
commitment around the world is being
questioned. — AFP
India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi, left, talks with Japan’s Prime Minister
Shinzo Abe during a signing ceremony at the State guest house in Tokyo
India, Japan will shape 21st century: Modi
Celebrities exposed in huge nude photo leak
Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana
Grande, Kate Upton, Kirsten
Dunst and Australian model
Teresa Palmer are among a slew
of celebrities whose nude photos
have been leaked on-line.
A spokesman for Lawrence
confirmed the photos are real and
slammed a hacker for a “flagrant
violation of privacy ”.
“The authorities have been
contacted and will prosecute
anyone who posts the stolen
photos of Jennifer Lawrence,” the
spokesperson said in a statement.
The risque images, which show
Lawrence in various states of
undress, were reportedly among
dozens posted on Sunday by
an anonymous source on image
sharing website 4chan.
The photos quickly spread to
social media sites Reddit, Imgur
and Twitter amid United States
reports they had been obtained
by successfully breaching Apple’s
iCloud ser vice.
Some of the photos of
Lawrence seem to be selfies,
while others appear to have been
taken by someone else.
The hacker reportedly claims to
be in possession of more than 60
nude selfies of the 24-year-old
Oscar-winning actress posing in
But she is not the only one to
have fallen victim.
The hacker claims to have
hacked 101 celebrity accounts,
including those of A-list stars
Ariana Grande, Amber Heard,
Kate Upton, Kirsten Dunst,
Kardashian, Hilary Duff, Gabi
Greko and Victoria Justice.
Australian stars Teresa Palmer,
Emily Browning, Clare Bowen,
Allegra Carpenter and Sahara
Ray also feature on an on-line
“master list ” although none have
yet commented on the leak.
A handful of intimate photos
appear to show Palmer with her
ex-boyfriend Scott Speedman,
including a couple of the actress
lounging topless in a pool along
with fully nude images.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead,
immediately denounced the
photos on Twitter.
“ To those of you looking at
photos I took with my husband
years ago in the privacy of our
home, hope you feel great about
yourselves,” she wrote.
“Knowing those photos were
deleted long ago, I can only
imagine the creepy effort that
went into this. Feeling for
everyone who got hacked.”
A spokesman for Grande told
Buzz Feed the images allegedly
of her are “completely fake”,
while Justice also rubbished the
photos of her as not real.
“These so called nudes of me
are fake people. Let me nip
this in the bud right now. *pun
intended*,” Justice tweeted.
Upton’s spokesperson said they
are “ looking into” the allegations.
Gossip blogger Perez Hilton
came under fire for publishing
the uncensored images of
Lawrence and Price but has
since deleted them, also erasing
the censored versions with which
he replaced them.
“I acted in haste just to get
the post up and didn’t really
think things through. I’m sorry,”
“Upon further reflection and
just sitting with my actions,
I don’t feel comfortable even
keeping the censored photos up.
I am removing them.” — AAP
Mexican authorities say a mass die-off of
fish at a lake in western Mexico was not due
to natural causes.
Over 48 tonnes of rotting dead fish have
been removed from Lake Cajititlan in Jalisco
The cause of the die-off has not been
determined but the State environment
department said late on Sunday it was not
due to natural causes.
Workers using shovels, a bulldozer, boats
and wheel barrels removed the dead fish,
which are being sent for testing. The small,
finger-sized fish are apparently a type of chub.
It was the fourth time this year there has
been a die-off at the shallow lake, which sits
between Guadalajara and Lake Chapala.
Some had speculated abrupt changes in
temperature or oxygen levels may have been
responsible for earlier incidents. — AP
Massive fish die-off at Mexican lake
Israel is facing increasing international
pressure after saying it plans to seize
400ha of Palestinian land in the
Bethlehem area in the south of the
occupied West Bank.
Washington, the United Nations and
Egypt have all called for an urgent
rethink after Sunday’s announcement,
which has angered Palestinians and
alarmed Israeli peace campaigners, and
comes days after a long-term ceasefire
between Israel and the Palestinians took
According to the Israeli military, the
land move is a political decision made
after the June killing of three Israeli
teenagers snatched in the same area,
known to Israelis as the Gush Etzion
“This announcement, like every
other settlement announcement Israel
makes, planning step they approve,
and construction tender they issue, is
counterproductive to Israel’s stated goal
of a negotiated two-state solution,”
a State Department official said in
Washington. “ We urge the government
of Israel to reverse this decision.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu’s policy of settlement
expansion on land the Palestinians claim
for a future state is deemed illegal by
the European Union and an “obstacle to
peace” by the United States.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
was “alarmed” by Israel’s plans, his
“The seizure of such a large swathe of
land risks paving the way for further
settlement activity, which — as the UN
has reiterated on many occasions — is
illegal under international law and runs
totally counter to the pursuit of a two-
state solution,” the spokesman said.
“The secretary-general calls on Israel
to heed the calls of the international
community to refrain from settlement
activity and abide by its commitments
under international law.”
Egypt — which last week mediated a
permanent truce between Israel and the
Hamas rulers of the Gaza Strip to end a
50-day war — denounced Israel’s move.
“This is not a positive step — it
contradicts international law and will
have negative consequences on the peace
process,” a foreign ministry statement in
The foreign ministry did not mention
the Gaza truce talks, but insisted
that Israel’s planned West Bank land
grab would be “an obstacle” to a two-
state solution between Israel and the
Palestinians. — AFP
on land grab
PM denies RAAF plane shot at in Iraq
Prime Minister Tony Abbott said an
Australian C-130 Hercules aircraft was
not shot at by extremists while delivering
humanitarian aid to northern Iraq.
The prime minister played down News
Corp Australia reports the RAAF
transport plane was attacked by Islamic
State extremists as it dropped aid to the
besieged town of Amerli.
“ Yes they were flying into an active
combat zone, so there may well have
been fire in the area,” Abbott said today.
“ But I’m not advised that they came
under direct fire themselves. ”
Reports the RAAF were fired on
will only heighten concerns about
its involvement in the humanitarian
airdrops and in an international airlift of
military equipment to Kurdish fighters.
The prime minister said the
government had carefully assessed the
risks before agreeing to the air missions.
“O bviously flying into a war zone . . .
even humanitarian airdrops into combat
zones are full of risks,” he said. “But the
risks are reasonable given the importance
of the mission they ’re flying.”
involvement in Iraq, saying dire and
dreadful measures were necessary to
combat the “pure evil we are now seeing”.
“The atrocities that were committed by
the Nazis, by the communists and others
they were ashamed of them, they
tried to cover them up,” he said.
“This mob by contrast, as soon as they ’ve
done something gruesome, ghastly and
unspeakable, they ’re advertising it on the
internet for all to see. ” It was right to
respond with “extreme force” to the IS
“death cult ”, he said. — A AP
Presentation Dinner, Shantytown,
Saturday October 11, 2014
Nominations are required for:
1. Sportsperson of the year
2. Administrator of the year
3. Referee, Unpire or Coach of the year
4. Best team performance of the year
5. Achievement in sport - Male & Female (Two New Awards)
‘Awarded to a sportsperson who is a West Coast resident aged
18 years and over and is dedicated and outstanding in their
chosen sport. The person must have an achievement within their
sport (on or off the field) that is deserving of recognition. The
achievement does not necessarily have to
have been at a national level’
Advert Proudly Sponsored by the Greymouth Star
Covering the period from
August 1, 2013 to July 31, 2014
Nomination must be accompanied by relevant
supporting evidence of achievement.Nomination
forms can be picked up from Grey and Westland District
Councils, Coll’s Sports World & Stirling Sports.
Nominations close, Friday September 5, 2014
Guest Speaker: John Morrison
2014 marks 150 years since the
founding of Greymouth. In July 1864
Reuben Waite opened the first store
in what was to become the town of
The Greymouth Star will celebrate
this special anniversary with a full
colour souvenir publication inserted
into every copy of the West Coast
Messenger and distributed to every
home on the West Coast. The
publication will contain historical
editorial on the town's history as well
as feature the events planned for
the weekend of September 26th to
celebrate the occasion.
This is a golden opportunity for
Greymouth businesses young and
old to advertise and promote their
part in our town and support this
Publication Date: Wednesday
Booking and Copy Deadline:
Friday September 5th
Patrick McBride 03 769 7921
If you would like to be part of this historical
publication please contact
to secure your space.
Deadline Friday September 5th.
Links Archive September 1st 2014 September 3rd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page