Home' Greymouth Star : September 4th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, September 4, 2014 - 3
Man dies in burn-off
A man has died during a rural
burn-off near Cromwell. The Fire
Ser vice was placed on standby after
reports a person had been injured
about 6.30pm yesterday during a large
controlled burn-off on Northburn
Station. A man’s body was later
recovered from the area last night,
acting senior sergeant Ben Butterfield
said. The man’s name and age would
not be released until next of kin had
been advised, Mr Butterfield said.
— Otago Daily Times
Train victim named
A woman killed on Monday after
being hit by a train in Napier has been
named. Police said she was Carole
Lynne Boswell, 55, from Napier.
— APNZ-Hawke’s Bay Today
Woman’s hand injured
A woman involved in a bench saw
accident at Linton Military Camp
was taken by helicopter to Hutt
Hospital yesterday. The woman in
her 30s suffered hand injuries after
the accident about 2pm. She was
stabilised at the scene before being
taken by Palmerston North rescue
helicopter to Hutt Hospital for
specialist care. — APNZ
A truck rolled in Waikato this
morning. The incident occurred
shortly before 4.50am on State
highway 1 at Atiamuri, St John
said. It is believed the truck rolled,
the Fire Ser vice said. One person
was treated for moderate to minor
injuries, St John said. — APNZ
Historic building burns
A fire tore through a historic
library building in Northland this
morning. The blaze damaged the
Williams House library in Paihia,
after the rear of the building caught
fire about 4.40am, Fire Ser vice
northern communications shift
manager Jarron Phillips said. No
injuries were reported. The building
was the home of early missionary
Rev Henry Williams, now used as a
library. — APNZ
$20m Big Wednesday win
A Big Wednesday player has won
more than $20 million in cash and
prizes in draw No 463 last night. The
winning ticket, sold in Pukekohe,
netted a prize of $20,048,756,
including some $18.6m in cash.
Other prizes in the first division
win included two cars — an Aston
Martin Vanquish and an Audi Q7
— a Rayglass 2200 boat, a $50,000
credit card, $50,000 of luxury travel
and $675,000 cash towards a bach.
Successful numbers were 1, 15, 20,
24, 33, 37; coin toss, tails.
Numbers in Keno draw No 10168:
44, 50, 51, 54, 61, 70, 77, 78. Draw No
10169: 2, 10, 11, 16, 18, 24, 31, 34, 36,
40, 41, 45, 51, 56, 62, 65, 66, 69, 77, 78.
Draw No 10170: 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14,
29, 34, 41, 44, 48, 53, 55, 58, 60, 61, 63,
73, 80. Draw No 10171: 1, 15, 17, 18,
19, 20, 25, 35, 36, 37, 42, 43, 46, 48, 60,
61, 64, 69, 73, 74.
Quake effects felt four years on
Motorists in Auckland are being
warned to avoid a busy highway
following a chemical spill from a truck.
Waipuna Road has been closed near
the intersection with Mount Wellington
Highway as firefighters try to mop up
“The chemical is a dye and the issue
is with its collection and disposal as it
cannot be flushed into the storm water
system,” police said.
Drivers are being warned to avoid the
area, which is expected to be closed “into
and possibly through the rush hour”.
Mount Wellington Highway is not
closed, but traffic attempting to turn into
Waipuna “will no doubt cause backlogs”,
Signs were in place to warn drivers.
The spill occurred about 4.50am, Fire
Ser vice northern communications shift
manager Jarron Phillips said.
It was not yet clear what caused the
spill, but the truck had not been involved
in a crash, he said.
About 20 litres of a liquid dye had been
spilled over a few hundred metres of road.
No injuries had been reported, but the
truck driver had been decontaminated.
in truck crash
Three men facing a total of 54 charges
of people-trafficking have appeared in
the Nelson District Court.
The charges relate to 18 people, believed
to be horticultural workers in the Nelson
Jaswinder Singh Sangha, 53, and
Satnam Singh, 52, have denied all
charges, Newstalk ZB reported today.
The elected a trial by jury and will
appear again on November 5.
A third man, from Auckland, has name
suppression. He faces 36 charges.
Outside court, one of the defendants
claimed they were trumped up charges
and said he had been picked on.
This is the first time a people-trafficking
case has gone to court in New Zealand.
Four years ago today, Cantabrians
were tossed out of their beds at
without warning. It would change
Confused, terrified, some ran
outside into darkness. Others
grabbed loved ones and huddled
It sparked a two-year Canterbury
would wipe out suburbs, flatten
Christchurch’s city centre, and
claim 185 lives.
Four years on, 64-year old gas
cutter Paul Tobin cannot believe
that his comfortable life has been
reduced to Third World levels.
The Earthquake Commission
(EQC) paid him out $54,000 last
August for repairs to his historic
130-year old Waltham cottage.
The “age and condition” of the
property was behind the cash
settlement decision, EQC said.
There were also “significant
deferred maintenance issues” with
Three times EQC claims to have
fixed his sewage.
But it is still broken and Mr Tobin
is left “crapping in a bucket ”.
“ He’s pretty jaded with the whole
thing,” his exasperated son, Mike
“It’s a very familiar story to many
Mr Tobin junior has launched
an on-line campaign to fundraise
$8000 to finally fix the underground
pipes once and for all.
Last night, Mr Tobin dismissed
EQC’s statements that they will
review his situation.
“I’ve heard it all before. They ’ve
been reviewing it for the last
four years — it’s just words,” an
emotional Mr Tobin said.
He said no proper engineering
report has been done on his
Suggestions the damage was
historic and not linked to the
quakes was “nonsense ”, Mr Tobin
“It’s been so long, I don’t know
what to do.
“They told me after February
(2011) when I had no water,
no sewage that my house was
‘moderately liveable’. It ’s just an
insult. I feel like giving up.”
Yesterday, when approached by
APNZ about Mr Tobin’s situation,
EQC’s Canterbury home repair
Reid Stiven said they would take
another look at the situation — a
u-turn on his comments to local
media six months ago when he
said EQC would not revisit the
“At the customer’s request, we are
currently reviewing this decision,”
Mr Stiven said.
While February 22 is the most
poignant earthquake memorial
date, Cantabrians will still pause to
reflect today on the moment that
would change their lives forever.
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm September 3, 2014
a2 Milk Company
Auckland Intl Airpt
3.73 +0.01 551.2
ANZ Banking Gr
37.80 +0.10 72.55
Diligent BM Services
DNZ Prop Fund
1.74 +0.005 6 .90
- 0 .01 50.31
9.23 -0 .03 262.6
Fonterra Shldrs Fnd
- 0 .01 25.69
5.15 +0.03 2.91
1.785 -0 .005 30 .38
Goodman Prop Tr
Guinness Peat Gr
0.95 +0.01 144.3
Kiwi Prop Tr
1.205 +0.005 44.85
4.68 +0.02 7.86
Mighty River Power
2.315 +0.005 42.62
- 0 .01 12.55
1.115 +0.005 78.38
Prop For Ind
3.37 -0 .01 0.89
- 0 .06 13.83
Sky Network TV
3.82 -0 .02 259.0
3.02 +0.03 2739
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
2.94 +0.02 49.68
3.75 -0 .01 274.7
2.57 -0 .07 8.57
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
1.46 -0 .01 4.31
3.10 +0.02 0.10
24.10 +0.10 16.54
- 0 .02 32.76
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, September 4, 2014
DECLINERS: 23 TRADED: 90
Aluminium High Grade
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Christchurch man Paul Tobin is still forced to use a bucket as a toilet, four years after the first Canterbury earthquake.
It is bright, airy, warm, sheltered
from the wind and gets afternoon
Sounds like the perfect home.
But an orange traffic light on one
of the busiest stretches of Dunedin
road also comes with drawbacks —
constant heavy traffic, flickering lights
and the potential to be moved on for
Nevetheless, a hardy blackbird chose
to make a Crawford Street light’s
cowl its home while raising its next
Department of Conser vation
ranger Graeme Loh said it was not
unusual for birds such as sparrows,
rock pigeons, swallows and dunnocks
to nest in urban places especially on
roofs or other nooks and crannies in
“They’re worried about rats. The top
of a pole is very rat proof.”
Dr Yolanda van Heezik, who
specialises in urban biodiversity,
said blackbirds were among the bird
species which had better adapted to
“They ’re very tolerant of the
modifications to their environment as
part of the urban system. But . . . this
is pretty extreme.”
The challenge would be whether
this bird could successfully raise her
chicks as they typically did not have
much success in urban environments
especially given they feed on
invertebrates, Dr van Heezik said.
Dunedin City Council contract
manager Peter Hughes said this was
the first time he had heard of a bird
nesting in a traffic light in Dunedin.
The bird, however, would need to be
removed as it could cause a traffic
accident distracting a driver or
obscuring the view of the orange light.
— Otago Daily Times
Bye, bye, blackbird
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Opposition sour on
National’s tax cut plans
Opposition parties are accusing
National of attempting to buy
election victory with tax cuts the
country cannot afford, as dairy
prices continue to fall.
National will outline its tax cut
promises next week.
Economists are predicting a lower
Fonterra payout to dairy farmers
that could take about $5 billion of
revenue out of the economy this
year compared with last year, Radio
New Zealand reported today.
At the moment, European dairy
farmers cannot sell their milk
products to Russia because of
economic sanctions imposed over
the Ukraine conflict, and with a
dairy product excess, they are eyeing
up New Zealand’s usual customers.
Add to that an economic
slowdown in China, and economists
are warning that tax cuts may not
be a sensible course to chart.
spokesman Bill English opened up
the government ’s books at the Pre-
Election Fiscal Update last month
he warned money would be tight
because the tax take was lower than
He said that meant there was no
room for significant policy changes,
and the Government ’s
responsibility was getting back into
surplus and reducing the country’s
But in the Christchurch leaders
debate on Tuesday night, party
leader John Key confirmed National
was going to offer moderate tax
cuts to lower- and middle-income
Green Party co-leader Russel
Norman said National was on an
irresponsible quest to buy votes.
“Since they got in office they built
up big debt and now they want to
give away tax cuts again to try to get
themselves back into office, rather
than build in some fiscal headroom
so that if the economy does not
perform as well then there’s some
space. This is not the time to be
giving away big tax cuts”
With the ANZ bank cutting
its forecast of Fonterra’s payout
to $5.25 per kilo of milk solids, it
seems likely dairy farmers will have
less money for paying off debt, and
the economy as a whole will take a
New Zealand First leader
Winston Peters said it looked like
New Zealand’s “rock star” economy
was about to hit the rocks and
National’s tax cuts were never going
“It shows that they ’re trying to
win the election not on sound
management, which was their
claim, but rather that their
management is now seriously being
exposed. Remember this, that these
farmers are also suffering from an
extraordinarily high, over valued,
artificially high dollar which the
IMF has been pointing out to this
country for the last two and half
Labour’s finance spokesman,
David Parker, said his party had a
plan to create a high value economy,
but National is floundering.
“It shows the vulnerability of the
New Zealand economy when its
too reliant on a narrow subset of
“Already exports have gone down
under National from 33% of the
economy to 29%. They ’re now
projected to go under 26 and maybe
with these latest prices they might
drop even to a lower percentage.
It shows that National’s economic
policies are failing to meet their
Mr Parker said National has run
six deficits in a row and should not
be promising tax cuts when it has
not even run its first surplus.
A woman who was supposed to be
at the Ashburton Work and Income
office for a 9am appointment is
counting her lucky stars she was
Shaken, but relieved, she said she
had planned to meet her housing
manager at 9am.
getting some stuff sorted out,” said
the woman, who did not want her
“ But after I left home, I ran into
a friend and I was talking to her,”
The woman arrived at Winz and
as she walked into the office she
passed the alleged gunman. She
saw a firearm in his backpack and
when she got inside, she could not
see any staff.
She then noticed Peggy Noble’s
body on the floor and left quickly,
“ It was quite horrible. I didn’t
realise what had happened until
later,” she said.
“ It’s really crazy. If I hadn’t stopped
to talk to my friend I would have
been in there, and who knows?
“ I’m just so thankful, and so sad
for the victims. I’m just thankful
that I got to go home and kiss
my children when they got home
from school. It could have been so
Yesterday, police continued their
examination of the Winz office
where Mrs Noble and Leigh
Cleveland died and their colleague
Lindy Curtis was seriously
Photographers and sur veyors
worked around the exterior as
members of the public arrived at
the cordon to drop off flowers and
notes of support and condolence
for the victims and their families.
Sarah McCrea, a friend of Ms
Curtis’s youngest daughter, left a
bunch of daffodils and her mother
handed chocolates to the police
guarding the scene as a thank-you
for their efforts.
Sarah said her friend was “doing
Friends and family of Ms Curtis
and her partner are rallying to
provide financial and other support
for the family.
Ms Curtis’s teenage daughter lives
with her, and she has her eldest
daughter’s three young children in
It is understood people close to
the family are collecting donations
of cash, food and other supplies to
support them during Ms Curtis’s
Funeral plans for Mrs Noble
and Ms Cleveland are yet to be
confirmed. Police would not say
when the bodies would be released
to their families. It is understood
post-mortem examinations were
being done in Christchurch.
— APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Woman recounts brush with killer
A Horowhenua man is intending to
plead not guilty after being charged with
manslaughter over the death of a young
Lincoln Kidd, 20, was killed in a
tree felling accident while at work on
A 46-year-old man was yesterday
charged with manslaughter, and serious
health and safety charges.
He appeared in the Levin District
Court this morning where his lawyers
indicated he would enter a not guilty
plea to the charges.
The public gallery was full with family
members and supporters of Mr Kidd.
Police said at the time that Mr Kidd
and his colleagues were felling trees on a
forestry block on State highway 1, near
Levin, when he was struck by a falling
His colleagues gave him first aid but he
died at the scene.
Including Mr Kidd, there were 10
forestry fatalities last year.
Earlier, a union said it was pleased the
man has been charged with manslaughter
over the death.
The news showed forestry work must
be taken seriously, First Union general
secretary Robert Reid said.
“ Lincoln’s tragic death was one of 10
lives claimed by this industry last year,
four of which were under the age of 30.
“ Employers have a duty to protect
workers and it is important that this duty
is upheld. Tragedies such as Lincoln’s
death needn’t occur, and a free and fair
trial will assist everybody in making our
workplaces safer. ”
Including Mr Kidd, there were 10
forestry fatalities last year, and the
number of deaths last year was twice the
“ If we don’t take the dangers and
hazards of the forestry industry seriously
then we could stand to lose more
workers,” Mr Reid said.
— APNZ-New Zealand Herald
over forestry death
The Twitter account used to drip-feed
information taken from the computer
of the Whale Oil blogger has been
Blogger Cameron Slater, who has
complained to police about the hacking,
tweeted: “And @whaledump is dead . . .
The account has been used over
recent weeks, apparently by the hacker
“ Rawshark”, to drip-feed information
aimed at backing up claims in Nicky
Hager’s book Dirty Politics.
This week the hacker began releasing
information which purported to be
social media conversations between
former Cabinet minister Judith Collins
The pair had called the transcripts
“forgeries”, which Rawshark denied.
The account, at the time it was
suspended, had more than 9000
followers, overtaking Whale Oil’s 7700
in just a few weeks.
Comment was being sought from
Twitter. — APNZ-New Zealand Herald
The Dunedin City Council’s
alleged Citifleet fraud may go
“considerably further back” than
first thought, with more cars — and
more missing money — likely to be
involved, it has been confirmed.
The revelation came from council
chief executive Dr Sue Bidrose and
Mayor Dave Cull, who both said
the alleged fraud appeared to pre-
date former Citifleet team leader
Brent Bachop’s time in charge.
Mr Bachop took over Citifleet
from former manager Bob Heath in
2003, and a Deloitte investigation
had found 152 cars had been sold
and more than $1.5 million in
proceeds pocketed — since then.
Dr Bidrose said the investigation
only easily examine
computerised financial records
dating as far back as 2003, as earlier
paper records were more difficult —
and costly — to trawl through.
However, evidence had emerged
suggesting the alleged fraud pre-
dated 2003, and had been going on
“for a long time”, she said.
“ Everything would suggest to
me it’s been going on since before
2003, which is when our financial
systems enabled us to start looking
“ People have worked hard, or
somebody’s worked hard, to cover it
up,” she said.
Asked how far back it might go,
she said: “I don’t know, but people
are reporting odd behaviour prior
to 2003. We simply can’t quantify
Despite that, the council had
decided to restrict Deloitte’s
investigation to examining only the
last decade, to limit the extra cost
borne by ratepayers, she said.
Going back further would not
provide “a cost-effective return” for
the council, she believed.
Mr Cull said he also understood
the alleged fraud may be “originated
considerably further back than
It was “unfortunate” the council
would “probably never been in a
position to be able to afford to delve
back that far”, he said.
Despite that, the revelation did
not necessarily add to the sense of
outrage, he said.
“It’s all pretty outrageous,” he said.
Mr Cull said he did not want to
speculate on whether Mr Heath
had also been involved in anything
untoward. — Otago Daily Times
Citifleet case goes further
Links Archive September 3rd 2014 September 5th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page