Home' Greymouth Star : September 18th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Thursday, September 18, 2014
Floodwall tree ban signal
The West Coast Regional Council
is considering a bylaw to prevent
people from planting trees on its
floodwalls. After the April storm,
the council removed some trees
from the Greymouth floodwall, at
Blaketown, as they were threatening
the integrity of the stopbank. Trees
were also removed from the Karamea
floodwall. Planning and environment
manager Mike Meehan said
Canterbury and Otago already had
bylaws in place controlling planting.
The concern was that roots could get
into the structure, and if they were
right on the stopbank the whole
thing may have to be rebuilt. The
only thing that should be allowed
was low grass, he said. “It’s not a
huge problem but we don’t want it
to become a problem,” Mr Meehan
said. Once councillors have agreed
on a draft bylaw, it will go out for
public consultation. It will only affect
rating district structures.
Boost for kea
The Government has announced
$90,000 from the Community
Conser vation Partnership Fund
to support the Kea Conser vation
Trust. Conser vation Minister Nick
Smith said: “ The funding announced
today will go towards boosting kea
conser vation efforts and see the trust
working in partnership with the
Department of Conser vation to play
a bigger role in co-ordinating kea
research and management. It will
also help to put in place a plan to
reduce conflict between humans and
the birds. ”
1080 ‘think twice’ call
West Coast-Tasman Ban 1080
candidate Peter Salter, fresh from
the last candidates’ meeting of this
election, says he wants farmers to
think twice about the poison. He
wants pest control targeted at the
fringes of farmland. “ If you can get
around your farm on foot, you can
get around the boundary on foot,” he
said. Farmers who thought 1080 was
wonderful “should be ashamed”. The
only thing separating farm animals
from wild ones was a fence. With
two days to go until the election, Mr
Salter, who was at the small forum
in Hari Hari last night, said he
had received more support than he
expected, but would have to wait to
see if that translated into votes. Even
National and Green supporters were
telling him they were sick of the
poison, he said.
Ten readers will get some
gardening tips as winners of the
Greymouth Star’ monthly garden
page giveaway. Evelyn Eder of
Boddytown, R Bollinger of Reefton,
C Roberts, Rona Wright and Yurie
McRae of Greymouth, each receive
a copy of the latest issue of New
Zealand House and Garden. Diane
Lord of Cobden, Lorraine Balloch of
Camerons, Beryl Hawker of Paroa,
Carol Brownlee of Greymouth and
Debbie Sagar of Hokitika each
receive a copy of the latest NZ
Port of Greymouth. — Arrivals:
Nil. Departures: Nil. In port:
Canopus, Tawera, 23 other vessels.
Expected departures: Nil. Expected
arrivals: Cook Canyon, today; Jay
Hospital delay ‘joke’
of the Westport News
The timetable for a new $68 million
Grey Base Hospital has slipped back a
year, and West Coast-Tasman MP Damien
O’Connor has accused National of lying
about the new health facilities.
This time last year Health Minister Tony
Ryall announced the Government had
approved the new hospital. He said design
work would start soon. Site work was
expected to begin late this year and the new
hospital to be completed by the end of 2016.
However, a Ministry of Health media
release this week said the design team has
just been appointed, construction was not
expected to start until the end of 2015 and
the new hospital would not be finished until
Mr O’Connor said yet another delay was
“an absolute insult and a joke” to West
“For six years we have been promised by
the National Party that the hospital will
be rebuilt and there’s money etc, and now
we have a press release saying they ’ve just
appointed a design team.”
The Government had dished out similar
empty promises before each election, he
“ We’ve been fed a pack of lies,” Mr
In 2009, the Government rejected a
$110m rebuild plan for Grey Base Hospital.
Prior to the 2011 election, the Government
said it had secured $37m needed for the
rebuild and would release the money once
tentative plans had been approved.
At the time, a $26m integrated 92-bed
family health centre was being mooted for
Westport. The centre is now proposed to
cost $8m and contain just 10 beds.
The latest media release does not mention
Mr O’Connor said new facilities for
Westport and Reefton were not even on the
Government ’s radar.
National’s West Coast-Tasman candidate
Maureen Pugh said she was unaware of the
media release and needed to check details
Thursday September 18
Urgent Cases Only
Phone 769 9300 first
Grey Medical Centre
Lesley. — Passed away
on September 13, 2014.
Treasured husband of
Helen (McPaike), loved
Maggie, Trish, Roseann
and Harold Leask,
Danny and Denise and
the late Maureen and
loved uncle of all his
nephews and niece. A
service for Warren will
be held at the Timaru
Town and Country Club,
Douglas Street, Timaru
tomorrow (Friday), Sep-
tember 19, at 2pm
followed by private cre-
Passed away peacefully
on Tuesday, September
16, 2014 at Richard
Seddon Hospital, Grey-
mouth. Dearly loved
husband of the late Jean,
much loved father and
father-in-law of Barry
and Leonie, and Carol
grandad of Nathan,
Sharleen, Malachi and
Cindie, great-grandad of
Ella, Ethan, Charlotte,
Jackson, James, Charlie,
and Tina Ellen step-
brother of the late Bob,
and a loved friend of
Henry Hole. In his 93rd
year. A special thank
you to Dr Tim Bolter
and staff at Richard
Seddon Hospital. Mes-
sages to PO Box 259
Greymouth., A service
to remember Les and
celebrate his life will
be held in the Anisy
Ceremony Centre, 77
(Friday) at 1pm, fol-
lowed by interment at
the Karoro Cemetery.
Resting in the care of
Anisy Funeral Home,
West Coast Tobacco Free health co-ordinators John Caygill, left, Karen Hamilton, Ann McDonald, Joe Mason, front, Jenny
Stephenson, Anne Hines and Sue Neilson were having a ball today promoting the latest smoking cessation campaign, ‘Stoptober’.
The large red ball was in Greymouth and Hokitika to raise public awareness of the 31-day stop smoking challenge, which gets under
way on October 1. “Red is for stop and we are using it to create awareness, accept the challenge and give up smoking,” spokeswoman
Ms Hamilton said.
Having a ball with stop smoking message
PICTURE: Paul McBride
British rider Rhys Lawrey on his
Triumph 800 XC, in Mackay Street
during a Greymouth stopover for his
around the world motorcycle tour.
The 22-year-old has been on the
road for four months and after
travelling from Queenstown, called
into Greymouth yesterday before
heading to Westport, and then across
to the North Island before shipping
across to North America. “I set off
from London on May 3 this year and
travelled through Europe, Central
Asia and China before flying across to
Australia and landing in Perth. I spent
a month biking around Australia. ”
Mr Lawrey is looking to set a world
record for being the youngest rider
to complete the global mission, while
riding for the Prince’s Trust English
Youth Charity. “My father, Kevin,
holds the record for the fastest person
to make the trip, so it runs in the
PICTURE: Paul McBride
Around-world rider passes through
After seven years Kumara School will
say ‘goodbye’ to principal Yvonne Blair
at the end of this term.
Ms Blair said she had enjoyed her
time at the school and was proud of the
“I have found the community, parents,
staff, board of trustees and children to be
an amazing bunch of people. O ver the
years I have had many experiences, some
learning, and some fun.”
Ms Blair said she would miss the
Kumara children, but was looking
for ward to spending time with her
grandchildren and leading Waikari
School, in North Canterbury.
Vic Hygate will take over as principal
from the start of 2015 and said she was
excited about leading the school.
“ I am looking for ward to working
together with the Kumara community to
provide excellent and exciting learning
opportunities for all our students,” Ms
The school is currently negotiating for
an acting principal for term four.
Stacey Lavulavu Tane, 30, of Cobden,
was ordered in the Greymouth District
Court yesterday to come up for sentence
within 12 months if called upon, for
possession of three spotting knives for
the consumption of cannabis.
On September 9, Tane was visited by
police at home and admitted to smoking
cannabis. He also told police he had two
spotting knives in the oven and some
cannabis on the premises.
Lawyer Liz Bulger said Tane had
replaced a booze problem with a drug
problem. Tane was also reprimanded
by Judge Noel Walsh after causing a
disturbance while waiting for his case
to be heard. Mr Walsh told Tane that he
should behave or he would be spending
some time in the cells.
Richard John Yardley, 52, of Kaiata, was
ordered to come up for sentence if called
upon within 12 months for obstructing a
police officer on August 22.
Yardley had been drinking with
friends when a woman, who was part
of the group got into an argument and
threatened to stab another member of
the group, proceeding to chase the man
down the road with a knife.
Police had been called to sort out the
situation but Yardley had got in their way
and had sworn at police, despite being
ordered to leave the premises.
Malcolm Reginald Francis Hackett, 32,
of Runanga, was fined $600 and banned
from driving for nine months for excess
breath-alcohol of 498mg on August 23.
Hackett drove in Greymouth and
admitted to police when stopped that
he had been drinking. He said he had
just come out to get some McDonald’s
Lawyer John O’Connell said Hackett
had been drinking with friends in
Runanga and had made an “error of
judgment ” in choosing to drive.
Zane Brendon Creagh, 28, of Rapahoe,
was remanded to October 7 for charges
of wilful damage, common assault and
breach of community work.
Lawyer Liz Bulger had asked for the
remand on behalf of Creagh, who wanted
to get full disclosure from Community
Probation over the alleged breach.
Judge Noel Walsh said Creagh had a
“ bad attitude to those in authority”.
New principal for
Two Korean flagged fishing
vessels boarded off the West Coast
were recently sent back to port
to sort out their non-compliance
marine protection rules.
The Gom 379 and Ser Este 700
were two of 16 vessels boarded
as part of Operation Moana,
run by Maritime New Zealand
and the New Zealand Defence
Force to ensure boats are meeting
environmental and safety standards.
Billington, said that in addition to
environmental protection issues,
the inspection of the vessels
covered certification and life-saving
appliances, emergency preparedness
and working practices.
Mr Billington said the HMNZS
Wellington and the RNZAF Orion
helped Maritime NZ to target
vessels while they were operating
The two Korean-flagged vessels
had to correct deficiencies in their
oily water systems and have a full
inspection before returning to
sea. Gom 379 remained under
investigation by Maritime NZ.
During six days on the water they
boarded six foreign fishing boats,
four New Zealand-flagged factory
trawlers, and six smaller inshore
Mr Billington said the rationale
for the operation was that being
onboard a ship at sea was the best
way to get a true picture of how it
“It ’s really good to see the vessel
when it’s actually working —
problems are a lot more visible than
when it ’s tied up. And when a vessel
is on the water, you get to see the
practices in action, which is when
any issues will come to light. ”
Prior to the on-sea inspections,
a Maritime NZ team onboard an
NZDF Orion flew over the area
to identify where the vessels were,
before passing this information on
to the inspection team.
Mr Billington said the New
Zealand vessels in particular had
good oil pollution prevention and
garbage management practices.
“They were doing exactly what
their plans said they would do —
they had the right facilities and
good practices. O ur team obser ved
that they often took the extra step to
ensure they were not only meeting
requirements but exceeding them.”
Mr Billington said that overall the
campaign had been a big success.
“This campaign was an excellent
opportunity for Maritime NZ to
have a close look at how our fishing
fleet is actually working out on the
water, to engage with operators at
the wheel if you like, as opposed to
on the wharf, and to demonstrate
that we are serious about enforcing
these rules.” He said Maritime NZ
would look at conducting similar
campaigns in the future.
Fishing boats boarded
off West Coast
of the Hokitika Guardian
Some Haast residents are angry
and insulted a young thief has
been sent to live there to whitebait,
goldmine and ride in helicopters.
The Nelson Mail reported the
sentencing of 18-year-old Robert
James Stuart in the Nelson
District Court on Tuesday with the
headline ‘Haast isolation ‘best place’
for thief ’.
The paper said Stuart was “now
off to whitebait and ride helicopters
in Haast,” following his conviction
on several counts of theft,
driving without a licence, and car
Haast resident Sheri Wright
contacted the Guardian yesterday
outraged at the negative inference
contained in the report that Haast
was the “only place” for Stuart.
“This town is going into a little bit
of an uproar,” Ms Wright said.
A “few Haast residents” were “not
happy ” at the prospect of Stuart’s
return after he had been “escorted
out ” of town last year following
several incidents, Ms Wright said.
Another local resident, Robyn
Hoglund, said the way the report
was published cast a negative
shadow over Haast ’s reputation,
inferring it was some kind of
“It’s insulting. It ’s a joke, because
Haast is not that,” Ms Hoglund
Judge Paul Whitehead imposed a
nine-month sentence of super vision
on Stuart after saying prison would
be too severe.
Stuart’s conviction related to a
series of incidents in Nelson between
April 28 and May 1, and a theft from
a Greymouth hotel in April.
According to Stuff, Stuart, 18,
told a local resident he had met
outside the Annesbrook dairy that
he was living on the street, had no
money, and was hungry.
The local gave Stuart $20 and
took Stuart to his home to use the
The resident did a further good
turn by taking Stuart into Nelson
and giving him $60 to assist getting
his driver’s licence, Stuff reported.
Stuart broke into his helper’s
house the next day, stealing a
cellphone, and a set of car keys.
The following night Stuart ’s victim
found his car had been stolen.
Stuart had his victim’s car keys,
the stolen phone, and a flick knife
on him when caught by police in
Wakefield on May 1.
Defence lawyer Wayne Jones,
said Stuart appeared to be mildly
intellectually disabled, that there
were worries about his intellectual
“ whitebaiting, gold-
mining and riding in helicopters”
did not sound like a sentence, Stuart
would be outdoors and isolated, Mr
Judge Paul Whitehead noted that
Stuart’s victim had tried to help
“out of the goodness of his own
heart ” and the offending was a
“total breach of trust ”.
Anger as young
sent to Haast
West Coast residents
have been encouraged
to nominate those who
have done good deeds
in the community,
for recognition in the
Kiwibank Local Hero
executive Paul Brock said
the awards, now in their
sixth year, recognised
people who had made a
powerful impact on the
lives of others.
“They may be
involved in business,
work, community and
clubs, working with the
disadvantaged or have
displayed courage in
overcoming a personal
Last year, three West
Coast ‘local heroes’ —
physician Dr Paul Holt,
West Coast Coastguard
founding member Mark
Bolland, and Hari Hari
Tom Clarkson — all
received award medals.
Nationally, the awards
will be presented in six
award categories. The
award winners from each
region will be honoured
at special ceremonies held
‘Local Heroes’ sought
A Cobden was remanded in the
Greymouth District Council on Tuesday
on eight charges of offering to sell
methamphetamine (P) and cannabis
Hayden Growcott, 22, was also charged
with stealing a $7000 quad bike in April
2013, and receiving $1000 of stolen bike
parts, on August 31.
Lawyer Richard Bodle said the drug
offences related to text messaging.
Growcott was on prison lockdown
for 22 and a half hours a day so taking
advice from Growcott while in custody
was difficult, the lawyer said.
He asked for Growcott to be bailed to
a sister’s address. Growcott was bailed
until September 25.
Rewa Dawn Buchanan, 34, of
Taylor ville, was sentenced to nine
months’ super vision, disqualified from
driving for 15 months and ordered to
pay $3027 reparation for careless driving
and driving with excess blood-alcohol
on July 18.
Buchanan admitted both charges.
On July 18, she crashed into a sign at
the Paroa Hotel, damaging the car. She
ran from police and tried to hide in a
house, but was later found.
Lawyer George Linder said it was
out of character for Buchanan. She was
stressed at the time and was waiting to
give evidence in a trial at the time of the
She had apologised to the hotel owners
and paid them reparation for the damage.
The car was written off in the accident.
Hamish John Costello, 38, of Cobden,
was given 80 hours of community work
for entering an enclosed yard on August
12 and stealing seven lead acid batteries
valued at $62.10.
Costello drove to a farm in Cobden
where scrap metal and batteries were
stored. Lawyer Marcus Zintl said
Costello sold the batteries to buy food
and nappies for his family, as he only had
$9 of his benefit left over after he paid
Judge Noel Walsh said the victim and
his wife felt their security was threatened
as a result of the offence.
Quaide Amtman, 31, of Greymouth
was sentenced to 100 hours of
community work for stealing $207 of
clothes and CDs on August 19, from
The Warehouse in Greymouth.
Amtman put the clothes on and took
the CDs after taking the labels off them
in the changing room.
Judge Walsh said Amtman had a
history of dishonest behaviour.
Remand on P charges
Links Archive September 17th 2014 September 19th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page