Home' Greymouth Star : October 21st 2014 Contents Los Angeles
Led Zeppelin have lost
the first round in their
plagiarism battle over
mega-hit Stairway To
A judge has denied a
request from the group’s
lawyer to dismiss a lawsuit
claiming the classic song
was heavily inspired by a
late 1960s track recorded by
Led Zeppelin’s legal team
had challenged whether
the United States District
Court for the Eastern
District of Pennsylvania,
where the suit was filed, had
the right to rule on the case.
Helene Freeman argued:
“The individual defendants
are British citizens residing
in England, own no
property in Pennsylvania
and have no contacts with
Pennsylvania, let alone ties
sufficient to render them
essentially at home here.”
However, the judge
overseeing the case
sided with the plaintiff
Francis Malofiy, a lawyer
representing late Spirit
guitarist Randy California.
Earlier this year, the
children of Randy
California filed suit
against Led Zeppelin for
on the grounds that the
opening riff from Stairway
to Heaven was appropriated
from their father’s song
Taurus. They claim the
defendants ripped off the
song while performing as
Spirit ’s opening act in the
late 1960s, and they are
seeking monetary damages
and co-writing credit.
It has been confirmed that Prince
William and Kate’s second baby is due in
The Duchess of Cambridge will today
make her first public appearance since it
was revealed in early September she was
expecting another child.
The 32-year-old has been out of the
spotlight as she has battled severe morning
“The D uke and Duchess of Cambridge
are delighted to confirm they are expecting
a baby in April 2015,” Kensington Palace
said in a short statement.
“The duchess continues to be affected by
hyperemesis gravidarum but her condition
is steadily improving. ”
Confirmation of the birth month suggests
Kate has had her 12-week scan and seen
images of the baby for the first time.
Kate was photographed last week leaving
a London clinic with Prince William who
was clutching an envelope likely containing
images of the scan.
British newspapers did not publish the
photographs of the couple but they did
appear in the United States.
The duke and duchess in early
October sent a legal warning letter to a
photographer amid reports he tried to take
a picture of Prince George with his nanny
in a London park.
Kate had to be hospitalised due to acute
morning sickness when pregnant with
Prince George who was born in July 2013.
This time around she has been treated at
When it was announced Kate was
expecting another child Prince William
made a plea for people to keep things in
“It’s important we all focus on the
big news and the big international and
domestic things that are going on at the
moment,” the 32-year-old said.
A few weeks later William travelled to
Malta in place of his wife to mark the 50th
anniversary of the country’s independence.
The trip was to have been the Kate’s first
solo foreign tour.
Today, the couple will greet Singapore’s
president at a London hotel on behalf of
the Q ueen.
The duchess will also attend a wildlife
photography awards ceremony later in the
The Duke and D uchess of Cambridge’s
next child will become fourth in line to the
throne behind Prince George. — A AP
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 5
Nigeria has been declared Ebola-free
in a “spectacular success” in the battle
to contain the spread of a virus that is
devastating Guinea, Sierra Leone and
The World Health Organisation said
Nigeria — Africa’s most populous
country where eight deaths had sparked
fears of a rapid spread through its teeming
cities — had shown the world “that Ebola
can be contained”.
Another west African nation, Senegal,
was declared free of the virus on Saturday.
European Union foreign ministers
meeting in Luxembourg said the bloc
must step up efforts to contain Ebola and
prevent it becoming a global threat.
Amid concerns that the global response
has been too slow, the 28 EU nations
agreed to do more to get foreign medical
staff on to the Ebola frontline. They also
agreed to appoint an Ebola co-ordinator,
to be named in coming days.
In the United States, the absence of any
new cases in the last five days prompted
cautious optimism from health authorities
that the virus has been contained there
after a flawed initial response.
In another encouraging piece of news,
test results showed a Spanish nurse who
was the first person to contract the virus
outside Africa appears to now be clear of
the disease after treatment.
But while the rest of the world appeared
to be winning the fight to keep Ebola
at bay, the three west African countries
that account for the vast majority of the
4500 deaths — Liberia, Sierra Leone and
Guinea — were counting a rising human
and economic cost.
Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
warned that a generation of Africans
was at risk of “being lost to economic
catastrophe” because of the crisis.
The “time for talking or theorising is
over”, she said in an open letter published
by the BBC. “ This fight requires a
commitment from every nation that has
the capacity to help — whether that is
with emergency funds, medical supplies
or clinical expertise.” — AFP
At least 32 people were killed and
dozens injured when two buses collided
head-on in north-west Bangladesh
yesterday, police said.
The accident took place at Baraigram in
Natore, 220km from the capital Dhaka.
The death toll could rise further as some
of the injured are in a critical condition,
police official Mohammad Manirul Islam
said. A three-member committee has
been formed to investigate the accident.
Road accidents kill about 10,000 people
a year in impoverished Bangladesh. They
are often blamed on reckless driving, poor
roads and aged vehicles. — Reuters
32 killed as two buses collide
Salt Lake City
A United States judge will for the
first time hear the evidence against a
woman accused of killing six of her
seven newborns and storing all of
their bodies in her garage.
Lawyers for Megan Huntsman,
39, decided today not to waive their
right to a preliminary hearing. The
proceeding was set for December 11.
Huntsman is in jail on $US6 million
($NZ7.5m) bail, charged with six
counts of first-degree murder. She
has not yet entered a plea.
Huntsman’s estranged husband
discovered the infants’ bodies on
April 12 while cleaning out the home
they had shared in Pleasant Grove,
Utah, a city of about 35,000 south of
Salt Lake City.
Police say Huntsman strangled
or suffocated the infants from 1996
to 2006, and that a seventh baby
found in her garage was stillborn.
Investigators believe Huntsman was
addicted to methamphetamine and
did not want to care for the babies.
DNA results have revealed that all
seven babies were full term and that
her now-estranged husband, Darren
West, was the biological father of the
Huntsman lived with West during
the 10-year period the children were
killed, but he is not considered a
suspect in the deaths.
He went to prison in 2006 and
spent more than eight years behind
bars after pleading guilty to drug
West made the grisly discovery
while cleaning out the garage. He
called police to report finding a dead
infant in a small white box covered
with electrician’s tape.
Six other bodies were found
wrapped in shirts or towels inside
individual boxes in the garage after
police obtained a search warrant.
Mum accused of killing six newborns in court
Sweden’s navy has
widened the search
for a suspected foreign
submarine as speculation
mounted over the origin
of the mystery vessel.
The search overnight
was being extended
southwards to the open
sea about 70km south-
east of Stockholm, as
Swedish Prime Minister
Stefan Loefven said that
more military exercises
were being carried out in
the Baltic Sea.
“There’s an increase in
military exercises from
both the Russian and
the Nato side,” Prime
Minister Stefan Loefven
said, speaking at a press
conference in Helsinki.
“There’s no reason for
exaggerated concern here
but obviously we are
aware of what ’s happening
in the Baltic Sea because
it’s our neighbourhood.”
As the search expanded,
the military warned the
public for the first time to
keep a distance of at least
10km from the operation.
Since the armed forces
received a tip-off about
a “man-made object ”
on Friday, more than
200 men, several stealth
ships, minesweepers and
helicopters have combed
the sea around islands
close to the Swedish
“There is no submarine
hunt underway, there is
an ongoing intelligence
Yesterday the Swedish
armed forces released a
photo taken the same day
of what it believed was
a “foreign vessel” near
islands about 50km east
the Swedish capital.
Speculation has been
rife over the origin of the
vessel, with a Swedish
media report suggesting
that it might be a Russian
U-boat — a claim
dismissed by Sweden’s
military. Russia instead
pointed the finger at the
Netherlands, saying that
the mystery submarine
may be D utch.
That claim was met
with a swift denial from
the Hague, which said
its submarine was “not
involved”. — AFP
April baby for royals
PICTURE: Getty Images
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate, with son George,
are expecting another child in April.
Banning revenge porn will give victims
more confidence of getting justice,
campaigners have said ahead of a crucial vote
to make the cruel craze illegal.
Revenge porn — when people publish
sexually explicit pictures of former partners
— is to be made a new offence punishable by
up to two years in jail.
Distribution of a private sexual image of
someone without their consent and with
the intention of causing them distress will
be made a specific offence in the Criminal
Justice and Courts Bill. It was to be debated
in the House of Lords today.
It comes after figures uncovered by the
Press Association showed children as young
as 11 had been victims, while pop stars Tulisa
and Rihanna have also been targeted.
Speaking ahead of the debate, victim
Hannah Thompson, 21, said she was hopeful
the law would give power to those who had
sexually explicit images of them published
without their consent.
The campaigner from Surrey said: “My
main hope is that it will leave victims feeling
less helpless and alone and that it will give
them a route to get justice.”
The change covers the sharing of images
both on-line and off-line. It will mean that
images posted to social networking sites such
as Facebook and Twitter will be caught by
the offence, as well as those that are shared
via text message.
Images shared via e-mail, on a website or
the distribution of physical copies will also
Those convicted will face a maximum
sentence of two years in prison.
Cambridge MP Julian Huppert said: “ To
me it ’s about consent. People can send images
of themselves with consent, that ’s fine. But
the idea that somebody else — who knows
the person doesn’t agree to it — broadcasts
those naked images around, that is simply
not okay. ”
The Liberal Democrat MP said the Bill
could become law before Christmas.
Figures showed that schoolgirls were
among those targeted, while adults had
been blackmailed into having sex with their
tormentor after indecent — and previously
private — images were posted on the
internet. — PA
revenge porn ban Melbourne
Doctors have used a 3D printer to help save
a Victorian man from losing his leg to cancer.
After Len Chandler, 71, was diagnosed with
cartilage cancer in April he was referred to St
Vincent ’s Hospital surgeon, Professor Peter
Choong, who was developing techniques with
Patients with advanced cancer in the
calcaneus often lose the leg below the knee,
because it is difficult to replace the heel
A Melbourne team led by Prof Choong
used scans of his left heel bone to create a 3D
mirror image of his right one.
“Science advances have allowed us to
consider 3D printing of bones and we were
able to get information from Len’s foot and
use that to tell the computers precisely how
big his foot is, and reproduce that using the
new 3D technology,” Prof Choong told News
Melbourne-based implant manufacturer
Anatomics was brought in and created a
mirror-image design to help in the creation
of a new heel.
The CSIRO used its state-of-the-art Arcam
3D printer to build the implant from titanium.
Following the world-first procedure in July,
the Rutherglen builder is expected to be off
crutches by Christmas. — AAP
3D printer saves
Viagra could provide a treatment for heart
disease as well as problems in the bedroom, a
In trials, the impotency pill’s active
ingredient improved the heart performance
of patients with a range of conditions while
having no adverse effect on blood pressure.
Most importantly, it helped prevent harmful
thickening of the heart’s main pumping
chamber caused by the organ having to work
The condition, known as left ventricular
hypertrophy, can lead to heart failure, an
inability to pump blood around the body.
“ We found that the main ingredient in
Viagra can be used as an effective, safe
treatment for several patients with heart
disease,” Italian lead researcher Dr Andrea
Isidori, from Sapienza University in Rome,
“Large clinical trials are now urgently
needed to build on these encouraging
Viagra contains an enzyme inhibitor that
allows smooth muscle tissue to be more
relaxed. This in turn aids blood flow and helps
combat erectile dysfunction.
The Italian researchers pooled together
data from 1622 patients who took part in
trials looking at the Viagra ingredient ’s heart
The chemical, PDE5i, effectively prevented
the heart increasing in size and changing
shape in patients with left ventricular
It also benefited patients with other heart
conditions while maintaining healthy blood
However, they said further research was
needed to assess the Viagra ingredient ’s effect
on women with heart conditions. — PA
Viagra could treat heart disease
Led Zeppelin takes hit in Stairway to Heaven stoush
Links Archive October 20th 2014 October 22nd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page