Home' Greymouth Star : October 31st 2014 Contents Aussie’s plane outburst ends in court hangover
Friday, October 31, 2014 - 3
Pastor in court on
A Wellington pastor has been
charged with multiple sex offences.
Jone Conikeli faced charges of
rape, assault with intent to rape,
abduction, and indecent assault,
Wellington police confirmed today.
The pastor appeared in court this
week and will reappear for a list
hearing on November 11 in the
Hutt Valley District Court. He
was remanded on bail and had his
passport confiscated. — APNZ
Sprinkler fault causes
A fault in the sprinkler system led
to the evacuation of the Auckland
Airport’s domestic terminal early
this morning. Members of the
public and staff were asked to leave
the building briefly after a fire
alarm went off shortly before 9am.
An airport spokesman said a fault
in the sprinkler system had
triggered a false alarm. People
were allowed back into the
terminal not long after wards.
Fire ser vice emergency workers
based at the airport were on
hand but not needed, a northern
fire communications spokesman
confirmed. — New Zealand Herald
limited to backyards
Aucklanders wanting to celebrate
Guy Fawkes on November 5 must
find a public display or stay in
their backyards, the council say.
Fireworks were banned from
public places in May this year
with the aim of protecting people,
animals and property from the
risks of fireworks. They had
previously been banned in some
parts of the region but now they
are banned year-round in public
places across Auckland. “ The
ban also protects vegetation and
property from fireworks damage,
which unfortunately can be a
regular occurrence around Guy
Fawkes night,” Auckland Council’s
community development and safety
committee chairwoman Cathy
Casey said. — NZME
Keno draw No 10397: 1, 16, 18,
19, 23, 29, 32, 33, 37, 42, 43, 48, 49,
53, 58, 60, 63, 68, 69, 73. Keno draw
No 10398: 4, 10, 13, 17, 23, 26, 29,
32, 33, 35, 43, 45, 52, 53, 61, 62, 63,
65, 66, 77. Keno draw No 10399:
1, 8, 17, 22, 26, 32, 38, 41, 44, 49,
61, 62, 63, 64, 66, 71, 75, 76, 77, 79.
Keno draw No 10400: 5, 13, 17, 19,
22, 25, 33, 38, 43, 48, 49, 50, 57, 58,
59, 62, 64, 65, 74, 79.
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$NNZZ KKIIWWII DDOOLLLLAARR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
LOLOLONNNDODODONNN (((UUU $S$/S$/S$/OOOUNUNUNCCCE)E)E)
PPPPRRRREEEECCCCCIIIIOOOOOUUUUSSSSS MMMMEEEETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
LOLOLONNNDODODONNN (((UUU $S$/TO
source: interest.co .nz
ket moveme tnt
As at 4pm October 30, 2014
a2 Milk Company
2.01 -0.01 43.46
1.07 +0.005 47.70
Auckland Intl Airpt
3.87 +0.015 67.21
ANZ Banking Gr
37.45 +0.05 0.60
2.13 +0.005 218.0
6.19 +0.01 2.27
Diligent BM Services
4.81 +0.11 25.62
DNZ Prop Fund
5.61 +0.01 87.90
8.55 +0.07 283.2
Fonterra Shldrs Fnd
6.28 -0.01 74.63
5.52 +0.02 4.01
1.995 +0.015 619.0
Goodman Prop Tr
Guinness Peat Gr
1.01 +0.01 497.0
3.16 +0.03 88.12
Kiwi Prop Tr
16.00 +0.10 2.21
Mighty River Power
2.87 +0.01 76.57
3.19 +0.03 5.34
Prop For Ind
7.56 -0.04 8.83
Sky Network TV
3.90 +0.02 264.8
3.125 +0.01 361.5
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
2.77 +0.02 4.14
2.71 +0.01 36.44
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
Trading to 10:30am,
Friday, October 31, 2014
DECLINERS: 13 TRADED: 92
Aluminium High Grade
Dotcom may face
Immigration New Zealand says Kim
Dotcom might be deported if he has
failed to disclose a dangerous driving
If a decision was made to deport the
tycoon, he would be sent back to Finland
or Germany, according to a legal expert.
The consideration of deportation comes
after it was revealed the tycoon — who is
wanted in the United States — had not
declared a dangerous driving conviction
on his residency application.
Applicants for residency are compelled
to declare any brush with the law — and
Dotcom’s residency form clearly shows
he denied having a dangerous driving
The form was filled in eight months
after he was caught doing 149kph in a
Dotcom pleaded guilty under the
name Kim Schmitz in the North Shore
Immigration NZ said yesterday it was
checking on the existence of a conviction
and confirmed Dotcom had not declared
“ If any adverse information is obtained
INZ will assess if there is any liability for
It also admitted it never made its
own checks when it granted Dotcom
The statement said Dotcom had been
here for just 12 months and there was
nothing to suggest he had been charged.
On Wednesday Dotcom said he
believed speeding issues had been
disclosed by his advisers.
Told that they had not been, he said:
“Oh really? That ’s not good, obviously.”
Immigration NZ has previously stood
by its handling of Dotcom’s residency,
which was granted after the SIS raised
concerns and after Dotcom revealed new
convictions on arriving in New Zealand.
A review had been conducted and
“found that the correct procedures and
processes were indeed followed”.
A member of the NZ Law Society
immigration law committee, John
McBride said the process took more
than a year if it was decided the failure
to disclose the conviction warranted
deportation. — New Zealand Herald
Two gang members have been
sentenced to life in prison for a
shooting murder in the Hutt Valley.
Shane Harrison, 44, and Dillin
Pakai, 20, were found guilty by a
jury in September of murdering
Lower Hutt man Sio Matalasi and
reckless discharge of a firearm.
In the High Court at Wellington
this morning, Justice Jillian Mallon
sentenced Pakai to life in prison
for murder, with a minimum non-
parole period of 12 years and three
Harrison was sentenced to life
imprisonment with a minimum
non-parole period of 13 years.
Mr Matalasi, 25, was shot dead
in August last year at a block of
flats on Jackson Street in Petone
following a confrontation with
members of the Mongrel Mob’s
Petone chapter, Justice Mallon said.
Mr Matalasi was not a member of
the gang, but was friends with some
members of the Petone chapter.
He became involved in the fight
between the men and was shot by
Pakai with a modified rifle, before
the pair left in their car, Justice
At today ’s sentencing Mr
Matalasi’s father, Lafeta Matalasi,
read a victim impact statement to
He said he and his family had
suffered from “immeasurable pain”
and spoke about his son’s children
who would never see their father
“These two little innocent boys
will never ever be able to address
any male they encounter with the
word most sons and daughters use
daddy. I have lost my baby boy,
nothing will bring him back.”
Mr Matalasi told the court
that he had forgiven both Pakai
and Harrison and asked Justice
Mallon that they both remain
free, so they could learn to live
with compassion towards others.
Father asks for
be set free
Tami Neilson has walked away with the
2014 Apra Silver Scroll.
The country singer-songwriter was
presented the award at a star-studded prize-
giving in Wellington last night for her bluesy
soul number Walk.
The Silver Scroll is the annual award for
New Zealand song of the year as voted for by
the 10,000 local songwriter members of the
Australasian Performing Rights Association.
Neilson grew up singing and performing
with her family — including her brother
Joshua, who co-wrote Walk — in her native
Canada. But she has made New Zealand her
home for the past nine years, and is married
to a New Zealander.
She has already won three New Zealand
Music Awards for best country album in
2009, 2010, and 2012, and has contributed
greatly to the local music community with
her huge soulful voice and entertaining stage
The Silver Scroll will be a particularly
special accolade because it is a wide-open
contest and not genre specific — her
competition included songs by the Phoenix
Foundation, Broods, Tiny Ruins and Louis
As for the song itself, Neilson’s Walk
manages to distil one of humanity’s
most-lamented tribulations the temptation
to be with someone you know won’t do you
any good into a swinging, heartfelt, three-
Its relative technical simplicity is a brilliant
framework for great sassy, southern attitude,
plenty of retro colour, and enduring appeal.
It is a song nothing like many of the
electronic based chart toppers of 2014, but it
is rich, compelling, and emotional.
Last year’s Silver Scroll winners Ella
Yelich-O’Connor, aka Lorde, and her co-
writer Joel Little, took home two awards
this year, being awarded the most performed
work in New Zealand for Team, and the
most performed work internationally for
Royals. — New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: Getty Images
Tami Neilson accepts her Silver Scroll for New Zealand song of the year at an awards
ceremony in Wellington last night.
Country singer takes top gong
Husband killer Helen Milner will
argue that she should be allowed to
appeal against her conviction to New
Zealand ’s highest court in February.
Milner, dubbed the Black Widow,
was found guilty by a High Court jury
last December of fatally poisoning
her second husband Phil Nisbet by
lacing his evening meal with crushed
In February she was sentenced to life
in prison with a minimum non-parole
period of 17 years.
Milner, 50, appealed against her
convictions for murder and earlier
attempting to murder truck driver Mr
Court of Appeal judges rejected her
argument that Mr Nisbet, 47, had
Now, Milner has begun the first
of two stages in appealing against
her conviction at the Supreme
A spokesman for the Supreme Court
said a hearing date for an application
for leave to appeal has been allocated
for February 16 next year.
If leave to appeal is granted, a hearing
date for a full hearing will then be
Defence counsel Rupert Glover said
she “still maintains her innocence”.
Black Widow to
fight for appeal
The four Labour
Grant Robertson, Nanaia
Mahuta, David Parker
and Andrew Little, put
their case for election
as leader to a crowd of
about 200 members in
Dunedin last night.
Each of the four
mentioned how Labour
had lost its way, lost
its connection with
voters, and appeared
to be a divided party
in crisis, unable to
represent the aspirations
of working New
Mr Robertson, who
celebrated his birthday
with his mother in the
city yesterday, was the
— garnering extensive
applause through his
Flourishing a pledge
card, Mr Robertson
promised to reintroduce
party regional organisers
to build support
throughout the country.
He would also form a
2017 election campaign
committee as soon as
possible, and every
election hoarding he
approved would have
party vote Labour as the
in our community every
day, not just at election
Mr Parker was the only
contender to mention
Labour’s shortage of
funds and that he was
prepared to go out and
raise money for the party.
tonight in Invercargill.
— Otago Daily Times
A former Northland police detective
on serious drugs charges has pleaded
guilty after his lawyers received
“irrefutable evidence” late on the first
day of the high court trial.
Mike Blowers, 51, appeared in the
dock flanked by a security officer
yesterday and entered guilty pleas to
supplying methamphetamine between
June 1, 2011 and June 31, 2012, and a
charge of stealing methamphetamine
from a police exhibit room on or about
October 19, 2011.
A third representative charge of
supplying cannabis was discharged.
Blowers, who had ser ved all his
20 years policing in Northland, was
remanded on bail with strict conditions
until sentencing on December 3. He
was supported by at least a dozen friends
and family in court.
Outside court lawyer Arthur Fairley
said Blowers was ashamed he had let
down his family, police colleagues and
Mr Fairley said the Crown had to
disclose evidence and the defence would
prepare their case on that evidence.
Mr Fairley considered the new
evidence irrefutable and advised Blowers
it was unanswerable.
— Northern Advocate
A controversial plan to
ban domestic open fires
and old woodburners in
Auckland has been kicked
to touch until at least next
The Auckland Council
was due to approve draft
rules yesterday for public
consultation this month,
but voted to defer the
matter until February.
The ban would affect
an estimated 17,000
households with open
fireplaces and 64,000
that would have to be
replaced with modern,
A source said the
mayoral office was behind
the move to defer the
air-quality bylaw after
It follows a council
backdown in July on a
bylaw preventing people
from scattering cremation
ashes in public places.
Mayor Len Brown and
councillor Calum Penrose,
the bylaws committee
a high level of community
concern at the domestic
The bylaw is designed to
meet a Ministry for the
Environment deadline of
2016 for regional councils
to meet new air-quality
standards. — N ZM E
A Manurewa school that
was one of the biggest
casualties of the leaky
building crisis will be
almost completely rebuilt
at a cost of $22 million.
The Gardens School,
a decile 10 primary
school with just over
600 students near the
Botanic Gardens, says
only two of its 24
classrooms will be kept.
Four of the original
classrooms have already
been demolished and
others have been closed,
forcing nine classes into
that have taken over the
Board of trustees
head Julie Pizzini said
the decision to rebuild,
by Education Minister
Hekia Parata and assistant
minister Nikki Kaye, was
“a long time coming”.
“ We started asking
for this in about 2009,”
she said. “ The staff and
our teachers and our
community have been
really patient. Staff have
done a fantastic job in
keeping the property
issues away from the
children, and achievement
has been maintained.”
Fowler said the school
opened in 2002 with
just 132 pupils and other
buildings were added as
the roll grew along with
new housing in the area.
Ms Kaye said the new
buildings would cater for
700 students, but this was
still being negotiated.
Leaky school gets
A gun-toting criminal who went on a
crime spree around Auckland, targeting
Asian tourists, was on bail for similar
offending at the time.
John Koteka, 35, was found guilty of
seven charges including aggravated
robberies and reckless discharge of a
firearm — at trial in August. In the High
Court at Auckland this morning he was
jailed for two and a half years.
Justice Mary Peters said the prison
term would have been more than seven
years but Koteka was already doing a
lengthy stint for committing two violent
home invasions and she could not give
him a disproportionately long sentence.
It was revealed in court this morning
that Koteka was on bail on February 17
when he caused havoc driving a bright
blue Holden around tourist hotspots in
central Auckland brandishing a firearm.
The offending came to a head as
Koteka drove up Mt Eden on the sunny
He robbed one tourist on his ascent to
the summit and when he made it to the
top, he grabbed a handbag containing
cash, a passport and an iPad from a
When members of the tour party tried
to thwart his escape he fired five shots
into the ground before speeding off.
As he fled, two men clutched at the
steering and wheel and were dragged for
a short distance before losing their grip.
One suffered a broken finger but no
one else was injured.
The court heard today how it all came
only two months before he was due to be
sentenced for previous serious offending.
With the addition of today ’s sentence,
Koteka now faces a total jail term of 13
years and three months. — NZ ME
Armed criminal was
on bail during spree
An Australian appeared in court
yesterday suffering “probably the worst
hangover of his life”.
The 31-year-old Perth resident had been
flying home from a holiday in Chile and
was changing flights at Auckland Airport
for the final leg of his trip on Wednesday.
But a trip to the Qantas lounge and a
large quantity of vodka derailed those
He appeared in the Manukau District
Court yesterday afternoon charged with
indecent assault and threatening to kill.
The man, whose name was suppressed
to give him the chance to inform family
in Australia of his circumstances, said he
could not remember the incident.
It is understood the Qantas flight had
been taxiing to the runway when the
alleged incident happened. The man was
released on bail but ordered to surrender
his passport to police and will reappear on
Tuesday. — New Zealand Herald
A man who tried to sue a sex worker for
a refund has lost further court action against
the woman and her lawyers.
The man, known as Mr N, went to the Court
of Appeal to overturn an earlier decision
which cleared Ms M from contempt of court
accusations he levelled against her. He also
included her lawyers in his court action.
It was one of “a wide range of satellite
litigation in various courts” against the
woman, the judgment said.
It started when Ms M ended a two-month
arrangement with the man, after which he
hired a private investigator to track down
her real identity and a refund. She took a
restraining order out against him, which he
then appealed and had reduced from five
years to 12 months.
He then made “seven interlocutory
applications seeking some 17 different
orders”, the Court of Appeal decision said,
including breach of contract and confidence,
defamation, and maliciously filing harassment
proceedings, in which he claimed $84,000
in damages. During those proceedings he
launched 11 more.
They were thrown out of court for being
“frivolous and vexatious”, and he was found
to have “misused legal procedures to further
harass Ms M”.
He has since launched seven different
civil proceedings including appeals and
applications for judicial review.
However, the Court of Appeal has now
upheld an earlier decision that his accusations
of contempt of court and withholding of
documents was “vexatious, an abuse of
process and a further attempt to victimise
and harass Ms M through litigation”.
The judgement also revealed how Mr N
attempted to get two of the Court of Appeal
judges thrown off the bench at the start of
proceedings claiming they were “biased”
against him and would not be impartial. The
decision said Mr N’s arguments showed “a
misunderstanding of the judicial function”.
His appeal was dismissed. — NZ ME
Appeal used to ‘harass’ prostitute
The forestry sector is regarded as the most
dangerous sector in which to work, with a
fatality rate that is 15 times the overall rate for
all work sectors in New Zealand, a report says.
Today, the final report of the Independent
Forestry Safety Review panel was released in
The panel was put together in January, with
three members appointed — businessman
George Adams, health and safety lawyer
Hazel Armstrong and safety expert Mike
The purpose of the panel’s review was to
identify the likely causes and contributing
factors to the high rate of serious injuries and
fatalities in the New Zealand forestry sector.
The report said the forestry sector was
regarded as the most dangerous sector in
which to work in New Zealand.
The report recommends a package of
practical measures that are expected to result
in a significant reduction in the rate of serious
injuries and fatalities in the forestry sector by
These recommendations included making
changes to the safety culture across the
It also recommended establishing a Forestry
Leaders Action Group (FLAG) to develop a
forestry sector health and safety action plan,
which was hoped to be put in place within the
next three months.
The report also highlighted the need for
increased worker participation and setting
clear and consistent standards to support safe
work and safe workplaces.
The panel examined the health and safety
structure and culture of the forestry sector
and consulted widely, including with those
affected by serious injuries and fatalities.
The report pulled no punches and put the
responsibility on all forestry stakeholders
including workers and unions to work
together to bring a sea change of safety
improvements in the industry, FIRST
Union General Secretary Robert Reid said.
Safety overhaul urged for NZ’s most dangerous sector
Links Archive October 30th 2014 November 1st 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page