Home' Greymouth Star : November 11th 2014 Contents Dubai
A contemporary art gallery in
central Tehran is giving Iranians a
chance to let out their frustrations
by screaming into clay pots
sculpted by a Vancouver-based
artist, exhibiting in the country of
his ancestors for the first time.
The earthen pots, some of which
resemble traditional water jars, are
designed not for containing liquids
but to relieve the stresses of urban
life — noise, traffic and pollution
— if only for a moment.
“ When logic fails to explain, it
becomes natural to scream. The
(pots) reflect many conditions
that we are faced with, often
unexplained with logic,” artist
Babak Golkar said from Canada
last week, shortly after his
Gallery creator Sohrab Kashani
said it has been packed with stylish
Iranians screaming into vessels of
various shapes and sizes. Some are
designed to amplify sound, some to
mute, but all made with the same
clay that is typical of parts of Iran.
He, like many contemporary
artists who have departed from
traditional mediums such as
painting and sculpture, had
difficulty finding a place to
work with experimental and
performance-based mediums until
Sazmanab, a privately funded
art centre founded by Kashani,
Kashani, a self-taught artist
and curator, set up the centre
in 2009 to counter the “dearth
of contemporary art studies” in
Iranian universities. — Reuters
A United Nations anti-torture
review hearing into Australia has been
dominated by concerns that asylum
seekers are being sent to inhumane
offshore detention centres on Nauru
and Manus Island.
The UN Committee against
Torture is in the process of assessing
Australia’s record as a convention
signatory in Geneva for the first time
The committee on yesterday sought
further information on Australia’s
asylum-seeker policies, controversial
counter-terrorism laws and the
over-representation of indigenous
Australians in prisons — amongst
Chairman Claudio Grossman, who
heads a panel of 10 independent
experts, raised concerns that
conditions in offshore processing
centres had been described by both
Amnesty International and the
UNHCR as “inhumane”.
“They are actually in a place
surrounded by fences? And you need
a guard to move from one place to
the other?” Mr Grossman asked,
before requesting a copy of the guards’
Mr Grossman also questioned the
Australian delegation on reports it
takes 10 months for refugee claims to
be processed on Nauru and two years
in Papua New Guinea.
“That would produce tremendous
anxiety in people,” he said.
“I can’t imagine the number of
people that are there and don’t know
where they are or what is happening.”
Australia’s mandatory detention
policy also went under the microscope.
“There is some kind of reaction every
time we use the word mandatory. No
discretion, everyone goes through,” he
“ We’ve always said that children do
not belong in detention centres. Are
you considering changing this?”
The committee also asked for an
update on allegations of child sex
abuse in the Nauru detention centre.
The Australian delegation, headed by
Ambassador to the UN John Q uinn,
will reply to the committee’s concerns
tomorrow. — AAP
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 7
A suspected Boko Haram suicide
bomber disguised in school uniform
has killed 47 students in north-east
Nigeria, in one of the worst attacks
against schools teaching a so-called
The explosion ripped through an
all-boys school in Potiskum just
as students gathered for morning
assembly before classes began,
causing panic and chaos.
The massacre came just a day after
the release of a new Boko Haram
video in which the Islamist group’s
leader, Abubakar Shekau, again
rejected Nigerian government
claims of a ceasefire and peace talks.
Students at the Government
Comprehensive Senior Science
Secondary School were waiting to
hear the principal’s daily address
when the explosion happened at
Several witnesses described the
blast as “thunderous” and the bloody
aftermath as a scene of abandoned
footwear, charred school books, bags
and body parts.
“There was an explosion detonated
by a suicide bomber. We have 47
dead and 79 injured,” national police
spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu
said, adding that Boko Haram was
believed to be responsible.
Ojukwu also confirmed local
media reports that the bomber was
disguised as a student at the school,
which has more than 1000 pupils
aged 15 to 20.
Yobe State governor Ibrahim
Gaidam ordered the immediate
closure of all public schools in the
Potiskum area and slammed the
government in Abuja for failing to
tackle the insurgency.
“Urgent action must be taken right
now to restore a fast-waning public
confidence by doing whatever
it takes to stop the escalating
violence,” he said in a statement.
Student Adamu Abdullahi said
those at the centre of the blast near
the principal’s office were flung in all
directions and others were knocked
off their feet.
“ I found myself under the weight
of another student, who fell over me.
I’m certain he was dead,” he said.
“ Human flesh and blood were
splattered all over the place ... I ran
out of the school and went home.
When my father saw me he was
terrified. I didn’t realise my white
school uniform was stained with
human blood and bits of flesh.”
Boko Haram, which wants to
create a hardline Islamic state in
northern Nigeria, has previously
carried out deadly attacks on
schools teaching a so-called western
curriculum. — AFP
47 in school
Employees of Embraer’s main aircraft factory vote to end their strike for pay increases, in Sao Jose dos Campos yesterday. Embraer,
the world’s third largest commercial plane manufacturer, said their operations were returning to normal after the five-day strike for
higher wages was called off.
Plane makers return to work
downplayed chances of ever identifying
charred remains attributed to the
suspected massacre of 43 students,
saying only two bones were salvageable
for DNA tests.
Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam
said the remains found in the southern
state of Guerrero were “disintegrated”
into ash by suspected gang members.
Three purported Guerreros Unidos
hitmen have confessed to killing the
43 students, burning their bodies in a
14-hour bonfire, and tossing them in a
river after they had received them from
corrupt police officers.
The case has infuriated Mexican
society, with a new protest erupting in
violence in Guerrero’s Pacific resort of
Experts indicated that there were “two
remains, only a rotula and another piece,
that have a possibility” of being matched
to DNA samples, Murillo Karam told
the Televisa network.
The two pieces will be sent to a lab,
which “did not tell us that it could
(identify them) but (said) that there was
a possibility”, he said.
In a news conference announcing
the apparent killings on Saturday,
Murillo Karam said experts at Austria’s
Innsbruck University would help
identify the remains.
Authorities say gang-linked police
shot at busloads of teacher-college
students in the Guerrero city of Iguala
on September 26, in a night of violence
that left six people dead.
The police then handed the 43
abducted students to the Guerreros
Unidos drug gang, prosecutors say.
Mexican students’ remains disintegrated
A woman has described how she
is “ lucky” to be alive after being hit
in the head by a part of an aircraft’s
propeller that had sliced through the
plane’s fuselage following an emergency
Christina Kurylo was on board an Air
Canada flight that was forced to make
an emergency landing shortly after take-
off on Thursday, after a tire on one of the
plane’s wheels blew as it was departing
“ I’m really lucky. It could have been a
million times worse,” Ms Kurylo said.
“I could have died, you know, you never
know what could have happened.”
The plane was forced to make an
emergency landing at Edmonton
International Airport, Canada, as the
winds were too strong for the plane to
turn back to Calgary.
Ms Kurylo was one of four people
taken to hospital after the plane
skidded on the tarmac during the
emergency landing, causing one of its
propellers to slam into the fuselage
as the aircraft tipped over on to one
One passenger described how the
whole inside of the plane blew out
causing fiberglass to be embedded into
Ms Kurylo’s skin, before a huge purple
lump appeared on her head after she was
hit by the propellor.
A total of 71 passengers with five air
crew were on the flight bound for Grand
Prairie. The three other injured people
were released from the University of
Alberta Hospital with minor injuries on
Jazz Aviation said the remaining
passengers and crew were evaluated
by medical responders on the scene
and released. The incident is being
An Edmonton International Airport
spokesperson said: “ The sort of least
worst scenario is minor injuries like this,
so we’re certainly very happy to be in a
position that there are no worse injuries
than that.” — AP
Woman survives after
hit in head by propeller
Six out of 10 Indian men admit they
have acted violently against their wives
or girlfriends, with those facing financial
difficulties more likely to carry out
abuse, a study shows.
Some 52% of women sur veyed across
the country reported suffering some
form of physical, emotional or sexual
violence in their lifetime, including
being kicked, hit, choked and burned,
the study, released yesterday, said.
The report by the UN World
Population Fund and the Washington-
based International Center for Research
on Women underscores the high rates
of abuse facing women in the deeply
“The study puts a spotlight on the high
prevalence of intimate partner violence
in India,” the study said.
“Regardless of age, men who
experience economic stress were more
likely to have perpetrated violence ever
or in the past 12 months,” according to
the study called Masculinity, Intimate
Partner Violence and Son Preference.
“Educated men and women who were
35 years old or more were less likely to
perpetrate or experience violence,” it
India has faced intense scrutiny in
recent years in the wake of a series of
high-profile rapes that have unleashed a
wave of public anger against its violent
treatment of women.
The fatal gang-rape of a 23-year-old
student on a bus in Delhi in December
2012 sparked massive street protests and
led to tougher laws for sexual offenders.
Despite the laws, horrific violence
against women continues to hit the
headlines on a daily basis, with experts
stressing the need to better educate
young men about the importance of
sexual equality and respect.
The study is based on inter views with
more than 9000 men and 3000 women
aged 18 to 49 and conducted across
seven Indian states. — AFP
Six in 10 Indian men
admit family violence
Probe into Aussie asylum seekers
in island detention centres
The Manus Island detention centre.
An Italian appeals court on Monday
overturned a 2012 manslaughter
conviction against six scientists and a
government official for failing to give
adequate warning of an earthquake in
L’Aquila five years ago that killed more
than 300 people.
Judge Fabrizia Ida Francabandera said
there was no case to answer, according
to video streaming of her reading the
verdict, absolving the defendants of a six-
year jail sentence handed down two years
The seven, all members of an official
body called the National Commission
for the Forecast and Prevention of Major
Risks, were accused of negligence and
malpractice in their evaluation of the
danger of an earthquake in comments
made less than a week before the disaster.
The case has drawn wide condemnation
from international bodies including the
American Geophysical Union, which
said the risk of litigation may deter
scientists from advising governments or
even working to assess seismic risk.
A 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck
L’Aquila, in Italy’s central Abruzzo
region, at 3:32am on April 6, 2009,
destroying tens of thousands of buildings,
killing hundreds of people and injuring
more than 1500 others.
At the heart of the case was whether,
under political pressure, the government-
appointed experts gave an overly
reassuring picture of the risks facing the
Over the centuries, L’Aquila had already
been hit by deadly and destructive quakes
three times, and it was shaken by a series
of tremors in the months leading up to
the 2009 tragedy.
One defendant, a government official
from the State civil protection agency,
was convicted on a separate charge
of manslaughter, but handed a two-
year suspended sentence. Families of
victims of the earthquake, and lawyers
representing them in the civil case
against the defendants, called the ruling
“shameful” and pledged to appeal. The
trial can be appealed once more before
the ruling becomes definitive. — Reuters
Russia launched overnight a state-of-the-art
media organisation with hundreds of journalists
abroad intended to wean the world off what
it called aggressive western propaganda —
dubbing it, with echoes of the Cold War,
In a hi-tech presentation in a media centre once
used to host Cold War-era press conferences,
one of President Vladimir Putin’s favourite
journalists outlined plans meant to repair the
damage done to Russia’s image during the crisis
Although Moscow denies reverting to Soviet-
style techniques, Russian media executives
acknowledge privately they are waging a
propaganda war with echoes of the Cold War.
“ We are against the aggressive propaganda
that is feeding the world,” Dmitry Kiselyov, a
conser vative television anchor who heads the
Rossiya Segodnya media outlet created by Putin
last year to promote Russia’s image abroad, said.
“ We will provide an alternative interpretation
of the world, of course. There is demand for
His remarks were a dig at the United States,
which Putin accuses of trying to impose its
will on the rest of the world, including during
the Ukraine crisis which has left Moscow ’s
relations with the west at their lowest ebb since
the Cold War.
Widely regarded as one of Putin’s chief
propagandists, Kiselyov hosts a weekly current
affairs programme which spits venom at
the west, supports Putin, portrays Ukraine
as overrun by fascists and supports Russia’s
conduct in the crisis.
Standing on a stage in front of a huge
screen showing a starry sky which gave way
to television footage from around the world,
Kiselyov said Sputnik would have “news hubs”
in 30 cities including Washington, London,
Berlin, Paris, Rio de Janeiro and the capitals of
a host of former Soviet republics.
Its operations will include news wires, a radio
station, a website, applications for mobile
phones and social media as well as press centres
in some countries. Some of the hubs could have
up to 100 staff, Kiselyov said.
In an echo of Radio Moscow, the foreign-
language Soviet-era station that was beamed
abroad, Sputnik aims to be broadcasting in 34
countries, in 30 languages by the end of next
year. — Reuters
Russia launches Cold War
style media group
Google has launched a campaign to raise
money to fight Ebola, tossing $US10 million
($NZ12.9m) into the pot and saying it will
match donations to the fund two to one.
In addition, Google chief executive and co-
founder Larry Page said his family’s foundation
is contributing $US15m to the cause.
“O ur hearts go out to everyone whose lives
have been touched by this tragedy,” Page
said in a blog post announcing the campaign
Google started collecting contributions on
a specially made website, where a message
indicated that the two-for-one dollar match
would continue until $US7.5m more in
donations were collected.
Groups targeted by the California-based
internet titan to receive support included
InSTEDD, Medecins Sans Frontieres,
NetHope, and Save the Children.
The campaign comes less than a month
after Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg
and his wife announced they were donating
$US25m to help US efforts to contain the
deadly Ebola epidemic.
The Ebola virus has already killed more
than 4800 people, most in the west African
countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Underfunded health systems in the region
have been crippled by the disease, which has
spiralled out of control and infected more than
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in
September pledged $US50m to help boost the
fight against the Ebola outbreak, providing
the funds to UN agencies and international
organisations involved in the outbreak.
Google commits $10m
to Ebola fundraiser
A driver in Brazil’s
biggest city lost control
of his car and ran over
15 people standing on a
footpath after leaving a
Police in Sao Paulo say
at least two people are
in grave condition after
being hit by the speeding
car. They say they are
trying to track down the
driver, who fled the scene
yesterday after running
over a group of people
that included at least
Police said they
suspected the driver
was under the influence
of alcohol and possibly
drugs. Substances that
appear to be cocaine and
marijuana were found in
the abandoned car.
The car that hit the
people shows the
violence of the crash. Its
windshield is smashed,
along with the hood and
front bumper. — AP
Driver hits 15
people after leaving
A couple looks at pots at a Tehran exhibition, which people can yell
into to release their frustration.
‘Screaming pots’ for anger release
A woman has been partially stripped
and paraded on a donkey through her
village in northern India after being
accused of killing her nephew.
Members of the village involved in the
attack were following orders from a local
council of elders in Rajasthan, a police
officer said overnight.
Thirty-nine people, mostly members
of the village in Rajsamand district,
have been arrested over the incident
that took place on Sunday, additional
superintendent of police Sudhir Joshi
The woman was accused by the village
council of killing her nephew who had
died some time earlier, the officer said.
“The woman aged around 40 years
was in her house when some villagers
stormed into the house and pulled her
out on Saturday evening,” Joshi said.
“They cut her hair, blackened her face
and stripped her half naked. Then they
mounted her on a donkey and paraded
her in the village for 10 minutes,” he
“It was after a meeting of the panchayat
(village elders). The cruel punishment
was meted out to the woman just on a
suspicion,” he said.
The woman was now being cared for
by family members, the officer added.
Indian woman stripped,
paraded on donkey
Links Archive November 10th 2014 November 12th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page