Home' Greymouth Star : December 16th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Monday, December 15, 2014
Rescuers are using
excavators to clear debris
in their search for more
than 70 people missing
after a landslide in
The death toll from the
disaster has risen to 32.
triggered the slip, which
hit Jemblung village in
central Java on Saturday.
“The rescue team has
found 32 bodies and
is still searching for 76
people buried,” National
Sutopo Pur wo Nugroho
Hundreds of rescuers
were digging through
the mud with shovels
and their bare hands
in a desperate hunt for
sur vivors, he said.
Military official Edi
reporters: “ We are trying
our best to look (for)
those still buried. It ’s a
big challenge because
we are still using manual
tools and the affected
area is very muddy.”
and rescue chief Agus
Haryono said rescue
efforts had been slow
because the ground was
“The affected area is a
large valley surrounded
by hills. The soil is loose
and muddy so we have to
be very careful,” he said,
adding that sniffer dogs
were being deployed to
“The chances of finding
anyone alive at this point
is slim but who knows?
We just hope and pray
we can find sur vivors.”
Authorities were using
heavy equipment to clear
a 3m-high pile of fallen
trees and rubble on the
main road leading to
the site of the disaster,
More than 2000
police, soldiers and
volunteers were involved.
Fifteen people were
injured, including 11
seriously, and more than
800 people have been
evacuated to temporary
Many of the sur vivors
were injured from being
hit by debris and are
being treated in hospital.
32 dead in landslide
Miss South Africa, 22-year-old
Rolene Strauss, has been crowned
Miss World 2014 at the pageant ’s
final in London.
An estimated one billion viewers
watched the ceremony on television
around the globe overnight.
Miss Hungary, Edina Kulcsar, was
the runner-up and Miss United
States, Elizabeth Safrit, came third
in the 64th annual competition,
contested by women from 121
Strauss clasped her hands together
in surprise and was presented with
the sash by the outgoing Miss World,
Megan Young of the Philippines.
The medical student sat in the
winner’s throne as the 2013 champion
put the glittering crown on her head
before a fireworks finale at the ExCeL
exhibition centre in east London.
“South Africa this is for you,”
Strauss said after wards.
“ I think I will brace myself for
what ’s about to happen. It’s a huge
responsibility.” — AFP
Miss South Africa Rolene Strauss waves to the crowd shortly after she was
crowned Miss World.
Miss South Africa on top of the world
More than 200 people were believed
missing after a boat sank in Democratic
Republic of Congo’s waters on Lake
Tanganyika on Friday, a senior Tanzanian
official said overnight.
UN radio in Congo, Radio Okapi, said on
Saturday that at least 26 people had died
and authorities had rescued 221 people
after the boat sank in the vast lake near the
village of Tembwe, 90km south of the town
Radio Okapi said it was not clear how many
people were travelling in the boat, which was
carrying passengers between Katanga and
South Kivu provinces in eastern Congo.
However Tanzanian authorities said the
vessel had been carrying some 500 people.
“It was carrying about 500 people and
about 230 people have been rescued so
far,” Deputy Inspector General of Police
Abdulrahman Kaniki said, attributing the
information to the head of the Tanzanian
Congo’s government spokesman and
regional officials were not immediately
available for comment. — Reuters
Hundreds missing as Congo boat sinks
Turkish police raided media
outlets close to a United States-
based Muslim cleric overnight
and detained 24 people including
top executives and ex-police
chiefs in operations against what
President Tayyip Erdogan calls
a terrorist network conspiring to
The raids on Zaman daily and
Samanyolu television marked
an escalation of Erdogan’s battle
with ex-ally Fetullah Gulen,
with whom he has been in open
conflict since a graft investigation
targeting Erdogan’s inner circle
emerged a year ago.
In scenes broadcast live on
Turkish tv channels, top-selling
Zaman’s editor-in-chief Ekrem
Dumanli smiled and studied
police documents before being
led through the newspaper’s
headquarters to applause from
staff crowded on to balconies.
“ Let those who have committed
a crime be scared,” he said before
police struggled to escort him
through the crowds to a waiting
car. “ We are not scared.”
Several hundred people chanted
“the free press cannot be silenced”
and “Turkey is proud of you”.
The European Union was
quick to condemn the raids. In
an unusually strongly worded
statement, it said the raids were
incompatible with media freedom
and ran counter to European
Istanbul chief prosecutor Hadi
Salihoglu said in a statement
arrest warrants had been issued
for 31 people on charges of
“establishing a terrorist group”,
forgery and slander.
In raids across EU-candidate
Turkey, 24 people have been
detained, including two former
police chiefs, state broadcaster
TRT Haber said. Also detained
were Samanyolu’s chairman
and the staff of two Samanyolu
drama series, one about an anti-
terrorism squad and the other
set in a southeast hit by Kurdish
“This is a shameful sight for
Turkey,” chairman Hidayet
Karaca said before his arrest.
“Sadly in 21st century Turkey
this is the treatment they dish
out to a media group with 10s
of television and radio stations,
internet media and magazines.”
Main opposition CHP
leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu
told reporters: “ This is a coup
government. A coup is being
carried out against democracy. ”
Zaman editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanli, surrounded by his colleagues and plain clothes police officers,
reacts as he is escorted from the headquarters of the daily newspaper in Istanbul overnight.
Turkish president orders 24 media arrests
Intelligence agencies believe a
teenager and her 20-year-old friend
have become the first Australian women
to go it alone to join terrorists in Syria
and offer themselves as potential jihadi
brides, it has been reported.
The pair, aged 18 and 20, are
believed to have links with the Somali
community and flew out of Sydney in
the past fortnight after lying to their
families about why they were travelling,
News Corp Australia
While there have been cases of
women joining husbands or boyfriends
in the Syrian war zone, this is believed
to be the first case of young women
going there independently.
If the pair travel to the Islamic State
group’s stronghold in northern Syria
they will face a jail term of up to 10
years if they return to Australia.
The IS group has issued a worldwide
recruitment drive to secure brides for
Attorney General George Brandis
would not comment on any individual
cases but said families were now on
the frontline of authorities hopes
of stopping young Australians from
travelling to the region.
“These terrorist organisations are
taking advantage of vulnerable youths
and luring them on false pretences,” he
told News Corp. — AAP
off to be jihadi brides
Thirteen fishermen have drowned and
13 others are missing after a collision
between two vessels in the Gulf of Suez.
The vessel that struck the fishing boat
carrying 40 men failed to stop following
the accident, Bakri Abul Hassan, the
head of Egypt ’s main fishermen’s trade
The accident occurred in the Gulf
of Suez between Ras Ghareb on the
Egyptian mainland and El-Tor on the
Sinai Peninsula, he said.
The bodies of 13 fishermen were
retrieved from the Gulf, which links
the Red Sea to the Suez Canal and
Another 14 fishermen were pulled
from the water and a search and rescue
operation was under way for those still
A Panamanian-flagged vessel suspected
of involvement in the collision was later
stopped near the port of Safaga, south
of the Gulf, said Abdel Rahim Mustafa,
spokesman for Public Authority of Red
A man who survived the accident, Al-
Sayyed Mohamed Arafat, told reporters
that he had jumped from the fishing boat
before the collision with the other vessel.
He said he had drifted in the water for
four hours clinging to a wooden crate
before being rescued. — AFP
Boats collision kills 13
fishermen, 13 more missing
Former US vice president Dick
Cheney is defending America’s torture
of al Qaeda suspects.
He says the CIA operatives who ran
the now-banned programme are heroes.
“I ’m perfectly comfortable that they
should be praised, they should be
decorated,” former president George
W Bush’s right-hand man told NBC
television’s Meet the Press programme
overnight, adding, “I’d do it again in a
Cheney made his remarks after the
release by Senate Democrats last week
of a long-awaited investigation into
practices at the Guantanamo Bay
In excruciating detail, the report
described crude torture methods
people for hours from their wrists and
locking them in tiny coffin-shaped
The report questioned the effectiveness
of such techniques, which it determined
were actually counter-productive for
getting actionable intelligence.
Cheney strongly disagreed.
“It worked. It absolutely worked,” he
said about the programme which US
officials euphemistically have referred to
as employing “enhanced interrogation
The remarks echo comments made
last week by the former vice president
defending the interrogation programme
and blasting the 500-page Senate report
as “terrible” and “full of crap”.
The report released on Wednesday
said the CIA’s interrogation of al Qaeda
suspects — including beatings, “rectal
rehydration” and sleep deprivation —
was far more brutal than acknowledged
and did not produce useful intelligence.
It also concluded the CIA deliberately
misled Congress and the White House
about the value of the intelligence its
interrogators were gathering. — AFP
investigating possible British links to
torture wants full access to a US report
on CIA treatment of al Qaeda suspects.
The news comes amid growing
questions in Britain about whether
its intelligence services made use of
information extracted using brutal and
unauthorised tactics after 9-11.
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said
overnight key figures in Britain’s Labour
government at the time, including former
prime minister Tony Blair, should face
questions on the issue.
Malcolm Rifkind, the chairman of
parliament ’s Intelligence and Security
Committee, said it would ask for redacted
parts of the US report but was not
confident the request would be successful.
“ We are taking the steps that are
normally taken to try to obtain
information,” he said. “ There are various
ways in which this might be dealt with.”
The US Senate Intelligence Committee
report released last week said CIA torture
had been more brutal than previously
acknowledged, badly super vised and
Detainees were beaten, waterboarded
and humiliated through the painful use of
“rectal feeding” and “rectal rehydration”, it
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon,
of Prime Minister David Cameron’s
Conservative party, has told the Sunday
Telegraph Blair and others should give a
public account of what they knew of such
“It’s for ministers in that government to
account for their actions,” he added.
Downing Street said last week British
intelligence had spoken to counterparts
in the US about removing some sections
of the Senate report but added that this
was on “national security grounds”, not to
cover up any role it played.
conducting an inquiry into whether
British intelligence agencies were
involved in mistreatment of detainees.
UK wants full access
to torture report
A mother-of-three is being
treated in a Malaysian hospital
after her husband hacked off her
hands and feet with a meat cleaver
before hanging himself.
The 44-year-old victim was
admitted to the intensive care
unit of a hospital at Kluang in the
southern state of Johor after the
horrific attack on Friday.
A staff nurse at the Enche Besar
Hajjah Khalsom Hospital said she
was in stable condition and was
discharged from intensive care
overnight and admitted to the
Her 47-year-old jobless husband
took poison and hanged himself
after the attack, the newspaper
The woman is believed to have
been working as a dishwasher in
Singapore for about 15 years.
A neighbour told The Star
newspaper the family depended
on the woman’s income as the
husband was jobless.
She only returned home once
a month to see her children and
Police said jealousy was a key
factor in the attack. — AFP
Man chops off wife’s hands, feet
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
say they could finish scouring the
priority zone by May, more than a
year after it vanished, if there are no
delays with vessels, equipment and
The Joint Agency Co-ordination
Centre ( JACC) said yesterday that
decisions about the future of the
search would continue to be made
in collaboration between Malaysia,
China and Australia.
Last week, families of the 239
passengers and crew on board the
March 8 flight from Kuala Lumpur
to Beijing provided DNA samples
to assist in identifying loved ones
once the plane was found.
A computer-animated video and
sonar images of the Indian Ocean
seabed where the search has been
focused has also been released.
The latest JACC update said the
survey vessel Fugro Equator was
continuing to map the ocean floor
and would return to Fremantle
when it completes its current phase
About 200,000 square kilometres
of the search area has been sur veyed
Danica Weeks, whose New
Zealand husband Paul was on the
missing flight, wrote an article for
the Sunday Times.
She said when she and her two
young children said goodbye to him
they never thought it would be for
the last time.
“But now, March 7 is permanently
engraved in my mind and often on
rewind,” she wrote.
“Not only as the day we kissed
Paul goodbye at Perth Airport, but
because mentally, for me, it is still
March 7.” — AAP
MH370 search could wind up by May
Open living area with designer kitchen, large pantry, separate lounge
opening to extensive decking and landscaping, 4 double bedrooms,
ensuite, bathroom, separate laundry, double internal access garage
with over-height door.
foundation and floors
Master Build Guarantees
A brand new home for Christmas!
Julie Coll: 027 696 0774
Trevor Kendrick: 027 231 0117
Office: 03 768 7145
Land area 830m2
Floor area 225m2
COME JOIN OUR
FAMILY FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
18 Ashley Drive
Annual street party 7/12/2014
Links Archive December 13th 2014 December 16th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page