Home' Greymouth Star : February 12th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Thursday, February 12, 2015
Queenstown police say a final search for
a climber missing on Mount Earnslaw has
Acting senior sergeant Steve Watt said an
aerial search for Wellington climber Simon
Bell yesterday was a “possible recovery
operation”, and the disappearance would be
referred to the coroner.
“ In practical terms, without new
information and given the extreme and vast
terrain in the area, we are unable to search
further for Simon at this time.”
Low cloud, poor visibility and fresh snow
in the past four days have hampered the
search for the 33-year-old, who was on
a mission to be the first to climb the 100
“great peaks” of New Zealand.
Mr Bell, who was last seen about January
14 at Esquilant Bivvy Hut on the mountain,
was reported missing on February 2 by his
The Wellington engineer took leave from
his job for the summer and relocated to
Wanaka to pursue his ambition.
Mr Watt said police had informed Mr
Bell’s family of the decision to end the
search. — Otago Daily Times
Final search for missing climber unsuccessful
The mother of a baby who was
snatched from an Auckland hospital last
year says yesterday ’s sentencing of the
abductor helped to close the chapter on
the horrifying incident.
Loni Marsh, 27, was jailed for 18
months at Manukau District Court
yesterday after earlier admitting to
kidnapping a five-day-old baby from
Middlemore Hospital and driving while
A 31-year-old man charged with
kidnapping previously pleaded not
guilty and elected trial by jury.
The baby’s mother Elsje Pretorius said
yesterday ’s sentencing had helped to put
an end to the unpleasant incident.
“But I can’t put a number of years on
what we’ve been through and what we’re
still going through — it ’s going to affect
us for a long time, especially my children.
“But I’m really, really relieved it ’s all
come to a point. I ’m happy.” Her little
girl, who is nearly five months old was
doing well, growing and thriving.
“She’s happy and fat and she’s with
us, so that ’s the only thing that counts.”
Middlemore Hospital staff had been
in touch with Ms Pretorius to keep
her informed of the improved security
measures, which included a guard at the
ward and a card access system.
Ms Pretorius had heard from a visitor
trying to access the ward to visit a friend
that it was now difficult to enter.
The hospital had done enough to
improve its security, she said.
Since the kidnapping, Ms Pretorius
said there had been difficult moments.
“ It ’s weird — it ’s one of those things
where you think you’re fine and then
the next moment you feel you’re not.”
Ms Pretorius gave birth to her daughter,
her third, on September 20. The pair
returned to Middlemore days later with
About 8pm on September 25, just
after visiting hours had finished and
family members had left, Mrs Pretorius
had a quick shower while the baby was
sleeping. Her hospital room had an
ensuite and she was just metres away.
When she got out of the shower, the
baby was gone.
The baby girl was found at a Manurewa
property about 4am, safe and well, and
was reunited with her parents.
The kidnapping resulted in an
improved security policy for Middlemore
Hospital’s maternity ward.
Phillip Balmer, director of hospital
ser vices, said the security review led to
urgent recommendations to improve
patient safety and security.
Further actions being considered
include an alert system that could be
activated should a baby and unauthorised
person pass through a barrier.
A “disgusting” bread war bringing $1 loaves
to supermarket shelves has been blamed for
the loss of six Napier jobs.
Coupland ’s Bakeries is closing its
Thackeray Street bakery on February 15 and
the South Island chain’s managing director,
Karel Adriaens, said low-cost loaves were
the main reason for the closure.
The Napier store incurred losses “that
remain unsustainable to our business under
the current trading environment ”.
The $1 loaves sold by the two supermarket
chains was the main culprit and price
competition had expanded into other baked
goods, he said.
Coupland ’s produces a range of baked
goods, from pizzas to biscuits.
“ We are having to meet pricing other wise
we are in a worse situation,” he said.
The Napier branch suffered the most from
the bread war and no other closures were
The closure was no reflection on Napier
employees, Mr Adriaens said. “ They have
worked hard and to the best of their ability
to improve sales.”
Bakers’ and Pastrycooks’ Union secretary
Norm Holly said the bread war was a
“disgusting” practice because it undermined
“ You can’t sell product at the same price
as 10 years ago — somebody has to pay the
price when supermarkets are deliberately
selling below cost,” he said.
More job losses were likely because
supermarkets deciding the price of other
throughout the whole industry”.
“It is going to be absolute disaster for
He said Coupland ’s produced its own low-
cost loaf, from its North Island distribution
centre in Hamilton, to compete with main-
brand competitors George Weston foods
and Goodman Fielder.
“A dollar will become the norm. Once
bread’s a dollar you are forced to lower
prices on other products or you don’t sell
Mr Adriaens said the company had up to
three years to run on its lease.
“ We are working hard on finding a local
retailer that may wish to continue to support
our brand in Napier.”
The closure was a very difficult decision
to make “but we had to make some
hard decisions to support the whole
The family-owned Christchurch-based
business operates 26 stores in New Zealand,
supported by manufacturing facilities in
Christchurch and Hamilton.
Foodstuffs spokesperson Antoinette Laird
said $1 bread “continues to be well received
by our customers around the country”.
“Feedback for this initiative remains
positive and consumers appreciate being
able to access a staple item such as bread at
such competitive prices.”
Countdown spokeswoman Jess Miller
said $1 Homebrand loaves were available
throughout the country, including Napier,
“and are very popular with customers”.
— N Z ME -Hawke’s Bay Today
‘Disgusting’ $1 bread war costs jobs
Housing New Zealand told
MPs yesterday it could not build
State houses any faster even if it
was given a blank cheque.
The corporation’s bosses told a
Parliamentary select committee
it was now on track to complete
2000 new State houses in
two years — a target set by
Government in 2013.
But Opposition MPs on
the committee pointed to the
“ unmet demand” of at least 5000
people and questioned whether
Housing New Zealand could be
Labour’s housing spokesman
Phil Twyford asked whether the
$550 million in dividends taken
from Housing New Zealand by
Government since 2008 could
have been used to expand its
HNZ chief executive Glen
Sowry said a large-scale building
programme was under way and
there was no capacity to expand
“Cash is not the problem for
us,” he said.
“ We have sufficient capital
on our balance sheet to be able
to support those developments
It’s actually getting human and
construction resource at the scale
that it needs to be.”
Mr Sowry said the construction
already faced huge demand for
new builds in Auckland and
Asked about the two-year
target set by Government, he said
Housing New Zealand was “fully
confident ” that the 2000 new
homes would be “either finished
or close to being finished or well
under construction” by the end of
Although only 500 homes had
been built by the corporation in
the last year, he expected the rate
of building to gather momentum
and more than 1000 would be
built this year.
Mr Sowry said this was
especially given Housing New
Zealand was only building 100
to 200 houses a year during the
global financial crisis.
The ‘unmet demand’ for State
houses in New Zealand is
currently just under 5000 people.
This was not an exhaustive
list of all people seeking State
houses, but a register of those
categorised as “at risk” or in
Under a major policy outlined
last month by Prime Minister
John Key, Housing New Zealand
planned to sell 8000 State houses
to community providers over the
next four years.
HNZ bosses could not answer
questions from the committee
about how many properties the
corporation expected to own in
ten years’ time.
Mr Twyford was disappointed
that the corporation had been
“ left in the dark” about the major
policy and did not know “the
most basic things” about it.
He said in a statement:
“The policy is so shambolic
and so full of holes that the
$18b government entity is left
— N Z ME-New Zealand Herald
Housing NZ tells MPs it can’t
build more houses
The publisher of hip-
hop superstar Eminem is
taking the National Party
to court and a lawyer has
suggested the party could
pay more than $100,000
if it loses the case.
Eight Mile Style LLC
and Martin Affiliated
publishers of Eminem’s
copyrights, alleged the
National Party breached
copyright when using a
to Eminem’s ‘Lose
Yourself ’ in campaign ads
during last year’s election
The publishers and
the party will face off
in the High Court at
Wellington next week.
claimed they were
not approached for
permission to use
Eminem songs for the
The National Party
rejected those allegations
and said there was
nothing shady about how
the music was purchased.
At the time, National’s
campaign boss Steven
Joyce said National
stopped using the music
in its advertising after
the publishers contacted
Mr Joyce was derided
suggestions last year the
party could be sued.
“Oh we think it ’s pretty
legal. I think these guys
are just having a crack,”
he told local media.
John Oliver, host of
United States comedy
show Last Week Tonight,
ridiculed the ‘pretty legal’
comments in a segment
broadcast about the New
Zealand general election.
Today, Mr Joyce
referred to an earlier
statement the party
released last September.
“The National Party
with the action, and is
defending its position,”
Mr Joyce said.
The party rejected
allegations the library
music used in its
campaign was a copyright
infringement of any
artist ’s work.
“The National Party will
be defending this action
vigorously.” The music
licence and fee were
arranged through the
Rights Association and
Gus Hazel, partner
at James and Wells in
Auckland, said if found
liable the National Party
would probably have to
pay a licensing fee and
Eight Mile Style’s legal
“In this sort of case, the
likely licensing fees could
have been significant,
if the video featuring
the music was to have
been played widely
and frequently. Legal
costs may run to tens of
thousands by the time
the case progresses very
far.” Mr Hazel said it was
realistic to expect overall
liability to be in the five-
Although a first hearing
was set down for Friday
week, it was unlikely the
case would go to trial, as
parties typically settled
before that point, Mr
Hazel said. — NZ ME
Party to court
SHOP ONLINE: AT OUR BIGGER, BRIGHTER, BETTER WEBSITE
E402BRT4 TASMAN 403LT
WLE527WA 540MM FREE
MR-260GWA 260L FRIDGE/FREEZER
HWM70-1201 7KG WASHER
STARTS FRIDAY 13TH UNTIL SUNDAY 15TH
EVERYTHING FOR YOUR HOME
Cnr Boundary & Herbert Sts,
GREYMOUTH Ph: 768-4205
Links Archive February 11th 2015 February 13th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page