Home' Greymouth Star : March 5th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 5
PICTURE: Getty Images
The Zasyadko mine in Donetsk, Ukraine. An explosion over 1000m below the surface overnight killed 33 miners and left
27 more missing.
German prosecutors have sought 10
and a half years’ jail for a former police
officer accused of killing a willing victim
he met on a website for cannibalism
Public prosecutors told the regional court
in the eastern city of Dresden overnight
Detlev Guenzel was guilty of murder,
court spokesman Ralf Hoegner said.
But they stopped short of demanding
the maximum sentence, usually 15
years’ imprisonment, because the dead
man, 59-year-old Polish-born Wojciech
Stempniewicz, had asked to be killed.
“The prosecutors believe the accused
is guilty of murder in a case of killing
motivated by a desire for sexual
satisfaction,” Hoegner said.
“In addition, prosecutors believe they
have also proved charges of disturbing
the peace of the dead by dismembering
the corpse. ”
Prosecutors said the act did not
constitute “killing on demand”, a lesser
charge that they argued was “reser ved for
close relatives and medical personnel” of
seriously ill patients.
A verdict is expected on April 1.
In a macabre case that made
international headlines, Guenzel, now
57, went on trial in August for allegedly
killing Stempniewicz at his home in
November 2013, cutting his body into
small pieces and burying them in his
In the process, he made a grisly home
video of the events that prosecutors say
he intended to use for sexual titillation.
The men came across each other in
October 2013 on a website for slaughter
and cannibalism fantasies billed as “the
#1 site for exotic meat ” and boasting
more than 3000 registered members.
Investigators testified during the trial,
however, that there was no evidence that
the suspect ate any part of the dead man.
Ex-policeman on trial for cannibalism
Thirty-three miners have been
confirmed dead after a coal mine
blast in the rebel-held city of
Donetsk near the battle front in
eastern Ukraine, indicating no one
trapped in the rubble survived.
explosion was most likely caused
by gas and not fighting in the war
between Moscow-backed rebels
and Ukraine government forces.
Nevertheless, Kiev suggested
the war had made the disaster
worse, accusing the separatists
of holding up a rescue effort by
Outside the gates of the
Zasyadko mine, about 30 relatives
clamoured for information about
any sur vivors. Sergei Baldayev,
a miner injured in the blast,
mingled with the crowd, his face
covered in scratches and one arm
hanging motionless by his side,
the result of a broken collarbone.
The sister of one miner who
was in the pit at the time of the
explosion, Alexei Novoselsky,
stood in tears.
“ Tell me, are there sur vivors?
Why are you concealing the
truth?” she asked as a rescue
worker tried to calm her.
administration said 16 injured
people were in hospital.
Earlier, after the body of one
miner had been retrieved, the
emergence ser vices said 32
people remained trapped in the
mine. But hour after hour the
death toll kept rising.
“The total deaths amount to
33 people,” Interfax news agency
reported, citing the region
administration’s press ser vice.
Eduard Dmitrenko, a miner
who went down the affected
shaft after the blast, said it was
unlikely any of the missing
miners would be found alive.
“ But they will of course find
bodies,” said Dmitrenko, his face
covered with coal dust.
Trucks and buses were driven
to the mine in preparation for
transporting the bodies to local
Asked what were the chances
of trapped miners sur viving, a
medical worker said: “It’s getting
smaller and smaller all the time,
because of the methane, the hot
air, burns to the airways.”
Donetsk has been the scene of
heavy fighting between Moscow-
backed separatist rebels, who
control the area, and forces loyal
to the government in Kiev. A
ceasefire has sharply reduced the
violence in the past week.
The neighbourhood around the
mine has come under artillery
fire, with fragments from Grad
rockets visible on surrounding
roads, but mine officials said the
explosion was unrelated to the
fighting and most likely caused
In Kiev, Ukrainian Prime
said rescue workers had been
dispatched by the central
authorities, “ but the Russian
terrorists did not let them reach
the scene of the accident,” he said,
using a term commonly used by
Kiev to describe the separatists.
The mine, now owned by a
private firm, has a history of fatal
accidents in the 57 years it has
been operating. An explosion
at Zasyadko in 2007 killed 106
people. A cemetery next to the
pit holds the graves of many
miners killed in the past.
“ When there’s an accident, we
bury them all here,” said the head
of security at the shaft where the
overnight blast happened, who
did not give his name. “Coal is a
A welder at the mine, who gave
his name as Oleg, said outside the
entrance: “I’ve been down the pit
for 23 years, and this is the fourth
explosion that I can recall. If they
didn’t get them out straight away,
then later they will only retrieve
bodies. An explosion is a terrible
The Zasyadko coal mine
produced 1.4 million tonnes of
coal in 2013. The mine is in the
centre of a Donbass region which
is Ukraine’s industrial and coal-
Ukrainian coal production fell
22% in 2014 to 65 million tonnes
as the conflict disrupted mining
operations, leading to some
shortages of coal at power plants.
Buddy Holly crash probe
may be reopened
33 dead in Ukrainian mine
The Russian embassy says it hopes a
koala hugged by President Vladimir
Putin at the G20 summit in Brisbane
has sur vived a mass culling of the
marsupials by wildlife officers.
The seemingly light-hearted one-line
comment at the top of the embassy ’s
Facebook page refers to the summit
in Q ueensland, but the koala cull was
carried out in Victoria.
The message follows news that 686
koalas were put down near Victoria’s
Great Ocean Road in 2013 and 2014, an
operation carried out in secret to avoid a
backlash from activists and locals.
euthanised the koalas, reportedly
by lethal injection, in response to
overpopulation and star vation in the
area’s manna gum woodlands.
The Russian embassy ’s message reads:
“Hope in the number of euthanised
koalas did not get those animals that
leaders at the G20 Summit in Brisbane
were photographed with.”
The post includes photographs of
President Putin and United States
President Barack Obama holding koalas
at the G20 summit in November.
The summit was notable for western
leaders’ irritation with Putin over Russia’s
actions in the Ukrainian conflict.
Putin left the summit early following
his frosty reception, the koala hugging
having provided a rare lighter moment.
Lisa Neville said yesterday the State
government had asked experts to advise
on the management of koalas at Cape
Otway, about 230km south-west of
She would not rule out future koala
culls, if recommended by the expert panel.
“My main priority is making sure that
we reduce the suffering of koalas due to
star vation,” Neville said.
Cape Otway koalas cannot be moved
from their native habitat because they
overeat and die, she said. — AAP
Russia hopes ‘Putin
koala’ survived cull
The World Health Organisation has urged a
dramatic drop in sugar consumption, “hidden”
in everything from soft drinks and tomato
sauce, as it steps up the fight against obesity.
The United Nations health agency had
previously issued guidelines that sugars
should make up less than 10% of a person’s
total daily energy intake, but in a new twist,
has urged countries to strive for half that.
Setting the bar at 5% would mean people
should consume no more than 25gm, or the
equivalent of six teaspoons of sugar a day —
less than the 10 teaspoons in your average can
of soft drink.
Health-hazardous free sugars, in the
form of table sugar, fructose or glucose
for instance, are added to foods and drinks
by manufacturers, cooks and consumers
themselves, and are naturally present in
substances like honey and fruit juices.
The guidelines issued do not refer to sugars
in fresh fruits, vegetables and milk, since there
is no evidence they are harmful, WHO said.
The UN agency pointed out that much of
the so-called free sugars consumed today
are ‘hidden’ in processed foods that are not
usually seen as sweet, like tomato sauce,
which contains a full teaspoon of the sugar in
WHO has for more than a decade
recommended keeping sugar consumption
below 10% of a person’s total daily energy
intake — a target it considers clearly
supported by scientific evidence which
countries should adopt as policy.
But the UN health agency decided to halve
the previous recommended level following a
year of discussions among WHO member
The 5% recommendation, however, remains
“conditional”, WHO said, since too few
epidemiological studies have been carried out
in populations with such low sugar intake to
allow a clear comparison. — AFP
WHO declares war on hidden sugar
Ireland’s government has launched a new
programme called “Global Irish” designed
to attract thousands of emigrants who
left during the financial crisis to return, a
government minister says.
The new policy includes support
ser vices for Irish emigrants who have
returned and practical information
about moving back.
“Some of these people left hoping to
return to Ireland if the economy got
better and there were jobs available
for them,” Ireland’s Diaspora Minister
Jimmy Deenihan said.
“ We hope to create the environment
and the economic climate to give them
an incentive to come back,” he said,
hinting at possible tax reform.
Prime Minister Enda Kenny yesterday
appealed to emigrants to return home.
“ Emigration has a devastating impact on
our economy as we lose the input of talent
and energy. We need these people at home
and we will welcome them,” Kenny said.
An estimated 240,000 Irish citizens have
left Ireland since the onset of the crisis in
2008 that ravaged the Irish economy.
In the past 15 months, Ireland has
exited its bailout programme and its
economy is forecast to be Europe’s
fastest-growing this year.
“I believe that, after seven years of
emigration, 2016 will be the year when
the number of our people coming home,
will be greater than the numbers who
leave,” Kenny said.
A Global Irish Civic Forum will be
held in June.
Emigration has long been an enduring
facet of Irish life, stemming from the
Great Famine in the 1840s when over
one million left to escape star vation.
Emigration of young people continued
unabated up until the 1990s when
Ireland’s Celtic Tiger economy became
one of the world’s fastest-growing.
Since 2008, widespread emigration
has returned as unemployment soared
and tax hikes and spending cuts were
Dublin has forecast full employment
(2.1 million people in employment) by
2018, but the unemployment rate in
February stood at 10.1%.
The latest statistics for the year ending
April 2014 show 40,700 Irish people
left Ireland in the previous 12 months.
Over the same period, 11,600 Irish
emigrants returned — the lowest return
rate since such records began in 1996.
Irish plea: come home
United States transportation
overnight they are reviewing a
request to reopen a probe into
the 1959 aircraft crash that killed
musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie
Valens, J P Richardson, better
known as “ The Big Bopper”, and
The original investigation 56
years ago conducted by the Civil
Aeronautics Board blamed the
crash on the pilot ’s decision to
embark on an instrument-guided
flight he was not certified for
and, secondarily, on poor weather
The NTSB received a request
recently from pilot L J Coon
to reconsider the decision, the
Mason City Globe Gazette
“ We are reviewing the petition
Holly crash, based on criteria
in our regs,” the National
Transportation Safety Board
Petitions must be based on the
discovery of new evidence or on
a showing that the findings are
erroneous and not on previously
advanced positions, according to
Holly and the others had just
completed a concert in Clear
Lake, Iowa, on February 2,
1959 and, because they had
experienced bus trouble on the
tour, opted to charter a small
aeroplane to the next tour date in
The plane crashed shortly
after taking off from nearby
Mason City, Iowa, early the next
morning, killing the musicians
and pilot Roger Peterson, 21.
Mel Gibson to make first
Aussie film in 30 years
Mel Gibson is reportedly set
to return to Australia to film his
first movie Down Under in 30
The Hollywood superstar, who
was born in America but grew up
in Sydney, has signed on to direct
World War Two movie Hacksaw
The movie is a biopic based on
the life of United States Army
medic Desmond T Doss which
will be shot down under.
Gibson has not filmed a movie
in Australia since making Mad
Max: Beyond Thunderdome
there in 1985, and Hacksaw
Ridge will also mark his debut
directing job down under.
The Amazing Spider-Man
star Andrew Garfield is said to
have been cast in the lead role,
and filming is set to begin in
September ahead of a planned
2016 release. — WENN
An investigative committee
in the United States House of
Representatives will subpoena
former Secretary of State Hillary
regarding the 2012 attack on the
US consulate in Benghazi, Libya,
later today, the Washington Post
The House Select Committee on
Benghazi, which first discovered
Clinton’s near-exclusive use of
a personal e-mail account to
conduct official business during
her tenure as secretary, will
send the subpoenas to the State
Department, according to the
Post, which cited people familiar
with the probe. — Reuters
Investigators to subpoena
Hilary Clinton’s e-mails
Indian censor bans
Fifty Shades of Grey
India’s government censors
have said they will not allow the
big-screen adaptation of erotic
novel Fifty Shades of Grey to
be shown in Indian cinemas, a
decision most had anticipated in
the largely conser vative country.
the Central Board of Film
Certification, Shravan Kumar,
declined to say why the panel
refused to approve the film
adaptation, but said Universal
Pictures, the Comcast Corp
unit that released the film, could
appeal the decision.
A Universal Pictures source
familiar with the review process
said the board had objected to
some of the film’s dialogue, even
after the studio made voluntary
edits to the film to tone down
its sex scenes and removed all
The film first opened in
February and has grossed at
least $400 million in global sales.
However, for some countries the
kinky storyline was too much:
Malaysia, Indonesia and Kenya
have banned Fifty Shades from
their theatres, largely because of
its sexual content.
The film’s distributor, Comcast
Corp is also not pursuing a
theatrical release in China, the
market, where the censors tend
to ban sexually explicit films.
said the studio had already
committee at the central board
to make its appeal. The source
declined to be identified as he
is not authorised to speak to
the media about the censorship
The movie version of the best-
selling 2011 novel stars Jamie
Dornan and Dakota Johnson as
a couple in a sadomasochistic
India’s censor has received
much criticism in recent months.
Leela Samson, who served
several years as its chairman,
quit in January after accusing the
federal government of interfering
in the board’s decisions.
Prime Minister Narendra
unveiled a new-look censor
board, which has since issued
guidelines saying Indian films
should not contain profanity.
Love Post a Note!
Easy to use and free,
what more can you
Jess Boyd, Dunedin
Links Archive March 4th 2015 March 6th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page