Home' Greymouth Star : March 10th 2015 Contents www.greystar.co.nz
PHONE 769 7900
England’s embarrassed cricket
coach and captain want to keep
their jobs as they brace for a furious
backlash to their World Cup flop.
But both coach Peter Moores and
captain Eoin Morgan realise there
will be repercussions for England’s
failure to make the finals.
Coach Moores says the England
camp feel hollow but must cop
criticism “on the chin”.
“People are going to be very upset,
as we are very upset,” Moores said.
“ We have got a lot of passionate
fans out there and they are desperate
for us to do well. And we know that
and we feel it. And that makes you
feel, as a person, terrible, because you
want to do better.”
England’s 15-run loss to
Bangladesh in Adelaide overnight
night means they cannot reach the
finals, regardless of their last group
game against Afghanistan on Friday.
Captain Morgan, who said apart
from disappointment his main
emotion was surprise at the failed
campaign, wants to remain captain.
“I haven’t thought a great deal about
it because this has come as a great
surprise, but certainly I have enjoyed
the captaincy,” he said.
Moores hoped he would continue
as coach but conceded it was not his
“I want to carry on, definitely,” he
“At a time like now you feel
hollow inside and you feel hugely
disappointed. So you’re not going to
do a lot of thinking apart from the
disappointment you have got for a
campaign we had a huge ambition
for. Any analysis of anything else, I
will do later, not today.”
Moores conceded there would be
fall-out from a woeful campaign
of just one win, against minnows
Scotland, in five games.
“I’m not going to stand here
and say we all shouldn’t take some
responsibility, of course we should,”
Moores said. “(But) there is some
deeper seated things that go with our
one-day cricket ... we are behind and
we have got to catch that up.”
Moores said England needed to
play more one-dayers against other
“There will be a million and one
things, people will say `could we have
done this, could we have done that,”
“ We prepared well. We have
covered the right stuff but we haven’t
played well on the field, we certainly
haven’t put it together. There has been
a lack of consistency but also there
is no lack of passion or desire in that
Meanwhile, Bangladesh skipper
Mashrafe Mortaza has been fined
40% of his match fee, while his
players received 20% fines, for a slow
over rate. The ICC ruled Bangladesh
were two overs short of the desired
rate in the thrilling win.
Mortaza will cop a one-match
ban should Bangladesh commit a
second slow-over offence with him as
captain. — A AP
Tuesday, March 10, 2015
A former Greymouth man has won
a place in the Canterbury under-21
men’s hockey team.
The team announced yesterday
includes Max Winter and a former
Buller player Jesse Forsyth, who
will attend the national under-21
tournament in May.
Coach Grant Edwards and his
fellow selectors had reduced their 22-
man squad to the final 18 and would
look to improve on last year’s third
The team contains eight members
from the 2014 side as well as eight
members from the title-winning
Canterbury under-18 men’s side.
Edwards is upbeat about this year’s
“As coach, I am excited to work with
the group over the coming weeks. The
trials demonstrated that athletes had
excellent technical skills in areas of
elimination and receiving.
“They also showcased a strong
physical conditioning base, which will
allow training to be maintained at
The team has a series of matches
over the next two months, and will
come up against Southern, a
Mid-Canterbury XI and Canterbury
Invitational XI in preparation for the
national tournament, to be held in
In Greymouth, Winter played for
Karoro and has represented West
Coast throughout the age groups,
including as a member of the senior
West Coast team.
PICTURE: Viv Logie
Greymouth powerlifter Sam Coleman training at Fat Max’s Gym for the Canterbury Bench Press Championships, to be held in Greymouth on Saturday.
Three Greymouth players from
the Marist club and two Hokitika
players from Wests, have won
selection in the South Island
The side was picked after the
South Island Marist tournament,
played in Ashburton on Saturday.
Maleli Mudu and Sam Tau, from
Greymouth Marist won places in
the tournament team, while their
team-mate Greg Crampton got a
spot in the reser ves.
Wests players Sean McClure and
Nathan Smith were also named —
McClure in the team and Smith in
the reser ves.
Twenty-two players were selected
from the six teams from Ashburton,
Timaru, Christchurch, Greymouth
and Hokitika that competed in the
Wests Rugby Club spokesman
Dicey Davidson said the selection
of two players from Hokitika
was the first time in the history
of Wests, since it was formed in
1992 with the amalgamation of the
Excelsior and St Mary’s clubs.
There is no game set down to
the South Island Marist side since
the North versus South Marist
tournament was canned a few years
Black Caps cool, calm
Five Coast names in SI Marist
PICTURE: Getty Images
England captain Eoin Morgan heads back to the dressing room for 0 as Bangladesh celebrates in yesterday’s game at the Adelaide Oval.
Not so long ago, the talk was of New Zealand,
South Africa and Australia in terms of who
would be making a big push for the World Cup.
Now the quarter-finals are coming into view,
perceptions are changing.
They, along with India, may still be the
favourites but write off others at your peril, say
“There’s a lot of teams out there that are
starting to play some good cricket,” New
Zealand coach Mike Hesson said yesterday.
Dan Vettori has a similar perspective, and
knows things are going to be tasty in the
“All the teams that eventually make it have
match winners,” Vettori.
“ You look at it through a positive prism
that they have good players, so there’s no real
thoughts of them being out of form or not
He might well have had Pakistan in mind.
Written off as a lightweight outfit early on,
they roared in beating South Africa in a thriller
at Eden Park on Saturday. Ireland might have
Pakistan in their minds, too, when they face
India at Seddon Park tonight.
They will fancy their chances against Pakistan,
whom they beat in 2007.
Win that and they could even finish third
and avoid a quarter-final against New Zealand.
The co-hosts will have done their homework
on the Irish, or whoever they draw to play in
Wellington on March 21.
“A lot of work was done pre-World Cup in
terms of making sure we’d got our ground work
done regarding scouting,” Hesson said.
“ With all the games on tv at a good time we’re
able to get those videoed and go through the
footage pretty quickly.”
The point is there will be no surprises to come
from the quarter-finalists at knockout time.
— New Zealand Herald
There will be plenty of muscle flexing and huffing
and puffing at Fat Max’s Gym on Saturday as
Greymouth hosts the Canterbury Bench Press
A novice three-lift powerlifting competition will
also be held.
Organisers are expecting between 20 and 30
lifters from Christchurch, Nelson, Ashburton and
the West Coast to take part, including former
Cobden man Andrew Thomas, now based in
Thomas and local powerlifter Steven Barnes will be
attempting to break their New Zealand records.
Thomas will attempt new weights in the 220kg
bench press at 74kg bodyweight.
A number of other Greymouth competitors
will take part including Sam Coleman, Matthew
Blanchfield, Jennie Bell and Matt Gardyne.
The novice lift competition is open to the public
and lifting gets under way at 10am on Saturday.
Organisers hope to see a good crowd to support the
Former Greymouth hockey player Max Winter, in action for his
Christchurch club side Southern United recently.
Greymouth’s Winter named
in Canterbury U21 side
Greymouth to host bench press champs
CRICKET WORLD CUP
England captain, coach
braced for backlash
Quarter-final protagonists prepared for any and all outcomes
of the New Zealand Herald
If you take the senior New
Zealand cricket figures at their
word, they have barely a care in the
world right now.
In a sense that ’s fine.
After all, they have played five
World Cup games, won them all
and all bar one by a distance
and the highest score put up by
opponents is 233. Life is good as
they charge towards the quarter-
final in Wellington on March 21.
Witness coach Mike Hesson’s
remark yesterday, when asked if a
small part of him would like to see
his bowlers extended as preparation
for the knockout stages, and the
toughest games of the cup: “I’m
quite happy chasing 150.”
Or Daniel Vettori’s gentle chiding
that the idea of boxes needing a
tick ahead of the Afghanistan game
on Sunday existed only in media
minds. Just keep winning seems to
be the mantra.
Maybe things can get over-
complicated at times.
Forget the idea that certain
batsmen aren’t in the pink of
form, or others could benefit from
a decent length of time at the
crease. Keep doing the business and
everything will take care of itself.
If New Zealand rattle along
with their admirably positive
philosophy and lift the World
Cup in Melbourne on March 29,
they might fancy giving a “yah boo
sucks” to those who ponder issues
as mundane as form and
Bangladesh loom as the fifth and
final group A opponents at Seddon
Park on Friday.
They are a decent side and, as
Hesson acknowledged yesterday,
have given New Zealand plenty of
gyp in their own conditions.
However — and assuming the
illness that struck a handful of
players yesterday clears up — expect
the same approach to be taken. And
if that means the middle order get
precious little time at the crease,
or the support bowlers are not
required, so be it.
But it is worth remembering
that among the middle-lower
order, Ross Taylor has faced just
90 balls in five matches, scoring 53
runs; Grant Elliott 94 for 77 runs;
wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi only six
overs for 47.
Dan Vettori has faced seven balls,
Adam Milne five, Trent Boult
two — albeit very important balls,
against Australia — and Tim
The bowlers have done their job
too well, and you can scarcely ask
them to ease off. Nor can it be
suggested to Kane Williamson,
young greedy guts with 182 balls
faced, or Brendon McCullum with
239, to allow the others a turn. That
makes no sense.
The four leading bowlers,
Southee, Boult, Vettori and Adam
Milne, have delivered 172.4 overs
collectively, and taken 42 of the 50
wickets New Zealand have picked
up in their five games.
Golden arm allrounder Corey
Anderson has taken the other
eight from only 17.1 overs. Support
bowlers Elliott and Williamson
have barely been required, with four
overs between them.
Afghanistan’s innings of 186
lasted 47.4 overs, the longest time
New Zealand have been kept in the
field in the cup.
The game will step up a gear
after Friday. As Vettori said: “Get
through to the quarter-final stage
and that ’s where it really starts. ”
New Zealand’s firm message is
that they ’re fine, all is well, and they
will simply keep rolling along.
Amelie Mauresmo, a two-time grand
slam winner and the first French woman
to be ranked No 1, was elected to the
International Tennis Hall of Fame,
organisers said today.
Joining Mauresmo in the Class of 2015
were Australian David Hall as a player
in the wheelchair category and Nancy
Jeffett of Dallas in the contributer
“ It ’s wonderful to see such diversity
in our induction class — a contributer,
a wheelchair athlete and a fabulous
female tennis player,” Todd Martin, chief
executive of the Hall of Fame said in
announcing the inductees during a news
Mauresmo captured the singles
titles at both the Australian Open and
Wimbledon in a dominant run in 2006.
Her powerful yet elegant one-handed
backhand and strong net play helped
her claim 25 singles titles and the silver
medal at the 2004 Atlanta Olympics.
The three other finalists in the player
category were all double grand slam
winners: Mary Pierce of France,
Sergi Bruguera of Spain and Yevgeny
Kafelnikov of Russia.
Hall, one of the most decorated
wheelchair tennis players ever, was
ranked world No 1 in singles and
doubles and won every major title in the
sport. He claimed nine Australian and
eight US Open titles.
Jeffett was recognised for her work
in tennis over the past half century in
advancing professional women’s tennis
and in developing opportunities for
junior tennis development. An induction
ceremony will be held July 18 at the
International Tennis Hall of Fame in
Newport, Rhode Island. — Reuters
Mauresmo in Tennis Hall of Fame
Links Archive March 9th 2015 March 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page