Home' Greymouth Star : March 12th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Thursday, March 12, 2015
Clinton admits destroying ‘personal’ e-mails
Hillary Rodham Clinton has
conceded that she should have used
government e-mail as Secretary of
State and acknowledged she had
destroyed tens of thousands of
e-mails in her private account that
she described as personal in nature.
In the face of a growing controversy
over her use of a private e-mail
address and ser ver, Clinton was
defiant in insisting she had not
violated any federal laws or Obama
“I fully complied by every rule I
was governed by,” Clinton said in
a 20-minute news conference that
marked her first comments on the
The controversy has upended
Clinton’s careful blueprint for the
rollout of her 2016 presidential
campaign. The clear front-runner for
the Democratic nomination, Clinton
had planned to spend this month
touting her work on women’s issues
and giving a handful of paid speeches
before announcing her candidacy in
Clinton tried to stick to that plan
in the days after details of her e-mail
use became public. But as criticism
from Republicans mounted and
Democratic allies started publicly
pushing Clinton to address the
matter, her team hastily arranged
yesterday’s brief news conference.
The former Secretary of State
described her decision to rely
exclusively on her private account as
a matter of convenience and a way to
avoid carrying two devices. She said
she had not used her personal e-mail
to discuss any classified information.
Clinton said her ser ver would
remain private. She said she had
exchanged 60,000 e-mails, half
of which were personal and were
“ I had no reason to save them,”
Clinton said of the personal
e-mails. She described the destroyed
communications as ones related to
her daughter’s wedding, her mother’s
funeral, her yoga routine and other
“ Everything that could be in any
way connected to work is now in the
possession of the State Department,”
Some of those e-mails have been
turned over to a congressional
committee investigating the deaths
of four Americans at a United States
facility in Benghazi, Libya, in 2012.
Representative Trey Gowdy, who is
leading the committee, said Clinton’s
comments left him with more
questions than answers.
“There remain serious questions
about the security of the system she
employed from a national security
standpoint,” Gowdy said.
delivering remarks at a women’s
empowerment event at the United
Nations. She then made her way
to a nearby hallway where dozens
of reporters and photographers
were awaiting her first formal news
conference since leaving the State
Department in early 2013.
Before the question-and-answer
session, Clinton’s only comment on
the matter had been a late-night
tweet last week saying she wanted
the State Department to the release
Clinton ser ved as the nation’s top
diplomat throughout President
Barack Obama’s first term. In late
2014, nearly two years after she left
the administration, she turned over
55,000 pages of e-mails to the State
Department in response to an agency
The department says it will take
several months to review the material.
Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said once
the review is complete, the e-mails
will be posted on-line for the public
to see. Passages revealing anything
from trade secrets to sensitive
national security information could
be redacted, in keeping with Freedom
of Information Act guidelines.
The e-mail disclosures have
raised questions about whether she
fully complied with federal laws
requiring government officials to
preser ve written communications
involving official business. By using
her own e-mail ser ver, traced to an
internet connection registered to her
hometown in Chappaqua, New York,
she gained more control over her
e-mail than she would have had using
a government ser ver.
At the very least, Clinton appears to
have violated what the White House
has called “very specific guidance”
that officials should use government
e-mail to conduct business.
Clinton said she e-mailed her State
Department colleagues on their
government accounts and therefore
expected her communications would
be archived. Her office says the
material turned over to the State
Department last year represents 90%
of her communications.
But because Clinton was operating
her own e-mail ser ver, only she and
her closest aides know that for sure.
Presidential campaign plans disrupted
An attendee tries out an Apple Watch at an Apple event in San Francisco, California.
A former Chechen police officer who
admitted taking part in the murder
of Russian opposition activist Boris
Nemtsov “probably confessed under
torture”, a member of the Kremlin’s
human rights council says.
Zaur Dadayev allegedly confessed
and was charged with murder but has
now insisted to the council’s Andrei
Babushkin that he is “innocent ” and only
made the admission under duress.
“There are reasons that lead us to
believe Zaur Dadayev confessed under
torture,” Babushkin said after a visit
to the suspect ’s Moscow prison cell
“ We cannot confirm that he was
tortured as we are not investigators but
we did find numerous wounds on his
body,” Babushkin said.
The February 27 shooting of Nemtsov,
a former deputy prime minister who
became an outspoken critic of President
Vladimir Putin, near the Kremlin was the
highest profile killing of an opposition
leader during Putin’s 15 years in charge.
Dadayev, a former deputy commander
in a special Chechen police unit, was
charged by a Moscow court on Monday
with the murder alongside Anzor
Gubashev, who worked for a private
Babushkin said Dadayev claimed he
spent two days manacled and with a sack
over his head.
The suspect said he had eventually
admitted to the killing to secure the release
of an ex-colleague, Ruslan Yusupov, who
was detained alongside him.
“ I thought that I would be brought to
Moscow and would be able to tell the
court the full truth. That I am innocent,”
Dadayev reportedly said.
committee condemned Babushkin’s
statement as breaking the law and said
he and a colleague who visited Dadayev
would be questioned over possible
“ interference in a criminal case”. — AFP
Now that Tim Cook has outlined the full
range of what the Apple Watch can do and
how much it will cost, his next challenge will
be proving high-tech counts as high fashion.
In addition to laying out uses for the device,
Apple has also been careful to market it as
stylish. The company paid for a 12-page
advertising spread in this month’s Vogue
magazine, and model Christy Turlington
Burns appeared on stage with chief executive
Cook yesterday to help reveal new details and
applications. Cook unveiled a version laden
with gold that retails for $US10,000 ($13,700)
Apple, with its emphasis on sleek design
and easy-to-use interfaces, has helped make
products — say, smartphones — that had not
previously been seen as fashionable into must-
have accessories. Now the company’s task is
to persuade style-conscious consumers that its
watch is both useful and chic.
“The question is, can they really sell
this thing as a fashion item?” asked Jan
Kniffen, chief executive of J Rogers Kniffen
Worldwide Enterprises, a retail consulting
and equity-research firm in New York.
“Apple’s a cool tech brand, and it’s not the
same people shopping.”
At the event, Cook emphasised the
customisable nature of the watch’s face and
bands, including options for different colours
and stainless steel cases, and even a Mickey
He said thousands of app developers have
been at work building products for Apple
Watch. Applications from companies including
Facebook, American Airlines Group and
Tencent ’s We Chat were among those showed
at yesterday ’s event.
Apple is counting on such apps to help
define those must-have ser vices for customers
who have so far shrugged off smartwatches
made by Samsung Electronics, Motorola, LG
Electronics and Sony.
Some luxury-watch buyers are not interested.
Kevin Rolle, 26, an investment banker who
was getting his watch ser viced at the Tourneau
shop on 57th Street in New York yesterday,
said the Apple Watch does not stand out as a
“I prefer high-end watches — it ’s not really
high end,” Rolle said.
Making the case for buying Apple Watch
is not just a challenge among those who
might other wise opt for a Cartier or Rolex.
The California-based company showed off its
everyday uses in a bid to convince consumers
they need another gadget in their already tech-
Cook is betting that moving many of the
conveniences of an iPhone to the wrist will
save people time, and make Apple Watch
worth the price tag.
“There’s so much hype and expectation, but
if it doesn’t have any real utility you’re going to
have critics coming out of every corner,” Scott
Galloway, a professor of marketing at New
York University’s Stern School of Business,
There has been plenty of scepticism
surrounding Apple Watch — that it is too
expensive, and the battery will not last long
Smartwatches made by other firms have
a lacklustre sales history, and some may be
concerned it is unsafe to trust a technology
device to safely store health data.
Unlike most timepieces, the device will be
obsolete in a few years. — AP
Apple Watch faces fashion challenge
Prime Minister Tony Abbott says
he will not be picking a diplomatic
fight with Indonesia over death
Jakarta could allow asylum
seekers to head for Australia in
response to any action over the
executions of Andrew Chan
and Myuran Sukumaran, an
Indonesian minister has warned.
Co-ordinating Minister for
Political, Legal and Security
Affairs, Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno,
told the Media Indonesia
newspaper: “If Canberra is acting
funny, Jakarta can surely let the immigrants go
“There are more than 10,000 people. If they’re
let to go to Australia, it is sure to be like a
Abbott said he wanted to find a constructive
“I’m not in the business of picking fights with
anyone,” he said.
Drug smugglers Chan, 31,
and Sukumaran, 33, are on
Nusakambangan island, where
Indonesia will give them 72 hours’
notice of their execution. Lawyers
will appeal to a court today to
have their case for clemency
Abbott said he understood the
Indonesian government ’s desire to
crack down on drug crime, as this
was his own government ’s aim.
“ But these two individuals,
because they ’re reformed, have
now become an asset in Indonesia’s
fight against drug crime and that ’s
why I think it would be counter-productive to
Meanwhile Chan will see his fiancee for
the first time since she was turned away from
Kerobokan jail on the morning of his departure.
Febyanti Herewila arrived at Cilacap port
yesterday with other family members of Chan
and those of his fellow Bali Nine member
Sukumaran. — AAP
Abbott backs off
over death row duo
Cape Canaveral (Florida)
A beefed-up space shuttle solid-fuel
rocket motor passed a two-minute test
firing in Utah overnight, a key milestone
toward the debut flight of Nasa’s deep-
space launcher in 2018, the United
States space agency said.
Anchored horizontally to a test stand
in the desert in Promontory, Utah, the
five-segment motor, built by Orbital
ATK , ignited at 9.30am local time.
Bright flames shot out the rear of the
rocket for two minutes, marking the
first full-duration burn of the enhanced
solid-fuel shuttle booster rocket, a live
Nasa Television broadcast showed.
“ It looked really clean. We’re very
excited. Great result,” Charlie Precourt,
an Orbital ATK vice-president and
former Nasa astronaut, said.
The 54m motor is 25% more powerful
than the four-segment engines used to
help lift the space shuttle. The shuttles
were retired in 2011 after 135 flights,
two of which ended in disaster.
are being incorporated into the new
rocket programme, known as the Space
Launch System. The motor tested
overnight included hardware flown on
the first shuttle mission in 1981, Nasa
spokeswoman Stephanie Schierholz said.
The test was the first of two planned
before two boosters are paired with four
liquid-fuel modified shuttle main engines
and topped with an Orion capsule for an
unmanned debut run around the moon
in 2018. — Reuters
NBS is not a registered bank.
Bank with us and you can bank on our
support. Talk to Karen today and see
how we can invest in YOU!
ALSO AT THE SHOW: SPECIAL PRICED PRE-REGISTERED / EX-DEMO MICRA,
JUKE, PULSAR, X-TRAIL, PATHFINDER & NAVARA D/CAB & NAVARA FLATDECK
THEY’LL BE COMIN’ ROUND THE MOUNTAINS
Cockram Nissan, cnr Moorhouse Avenue & Manchester Street,
Christchurch. Phone (03) 366 2644. www.cockramnissan.co .nz
Cockram Kia, 337 Moorhouse Ave, Christchurch, next to
Cockram Nissan. Phone (03) 366 6622. www.cockramkia.co .nz
THE COCKRAM NISSAN & KIA ROADSHOW
COMING FRI 13TH & SAT 14TH MARCH / 9AM - 4PM / THE ASHLEY HOTEL, 74 TASMAN ST, GREYMOUTH
Offer available to approved applicants of Nissan Financial Services only and excludes all lease and some fleet
purchasers. Units must be registered in March to qualify for the special finance offer. The 1% Finance offer applies to
the new Nissan vehicles only. The 1% p.a. interest rate is available with zero deposit and 36 months term. Additional
finance related fees, charges, and terms and conditions apply. Additional fees and on-road charges apply. Offer cannot
be used in conjunction with any other offers and is only available while stocks last. Offer must end March 31st 2015.
NEW NISSAN RANGE
ACROSS THE ENTIRE
PLUS FINANCE AT JUST
1% WITH ZERO DEPOSIT
RRP $57,790 incl GST
BRAND NEW 2015 NISSAN NAVARA ST-X 4WD DOUBLE CAB
PLUS FINANCE AT JUST
1% WITH ZERO DEPOSIT
BRAND NEW 2015 NISSAN QASHQAI
Links Archive March 11th 2015 March 13th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page