Home' Greymouth Star : March 14th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Saturday, March 14, 2015
Amy Currie gets her ears checked by Ashleigh Donaldson during the Special Olympics in Greymouth last week. Donaldson was a
part of a group that came over from Christchurch to promote getting regular health checks. The event was held at the aquatic centre.
PICTURE: Viv Logie
Ear checks for all
Bobby, Gail and Phil,
Gloria and Jim and
RSM.— Of the Sisters
of Mercy Congregation,
February 26, 2015 and
was buried in Christ-
church. Sr Rosaline
spent some years in the
A memorial Mass for Sr
Rosaline will be cele-
brated at 5.30pm on
Wednesday March 18,
in St Patrick's Church,
Old Fashioned Values,
Old Fashioned Ethics
BRUCE, Tracey Lee
Doris. — To those dear
friends, old and new,
who have supported and
grieved with our family
through the terrible loss
of our Tracey; please
accept this as a sincere
and heartfelt thank you
for your kindness. The
cards, flowers and other
been a constant source
of comfort to us. Your
support will never be
From Mike, Elaine,
Thomas and extended
Ph 768 0250
Why have your loved
ones taken away
from the Coast for
The only Funeral
Home in Greymouth
services on site
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
Thomas. — August 9,
1940 - February 16,
2015. Brenda would like
to thank her wonderful
family, cousins, friends
and workmates for all
their love and support
given to her at this time.
The food, cards, flowers
and visits, still ongoing.
To Judy Thompson for
the care and support she
has given Barry over the
last eight months, St
John, police, Father
Peter, David and Janette,
thank you. Also to all
our friends who attended
Barry's service, thanks.
A returned healthcare worker is
tonight being tested to rule out
The patient has recently been
in Sierra Leone as part of
New Zealand’s contribution to
the international response to
“Since returning home to New
Zealand, the patient has become
unwell,” Health Minister Jonathan
the patient ’s
symptoms, the Ebola virus needs
to be ruled out. I am advised that it
is quite possible they are suffering
from gastroenteritis or some other
illness such as malaria.
“ Test results will be available in
24 to 48 hours.”
The patient left Sierra Leone on
Sunday, where they began self-
After becoming unwell yesterday
morning, the patient reported to
the local Public Health Officer
as part of their daily self-
transported from their home in
Southland by isopod — used for
the transportation of potentially
Christchurch Hospital, where they
will be cared for in one of New
Zealand’s four speciality isolation
Blood samples will be sent to a
high security reference laboratory
in Melbourne for testing. It is
expected to be 24 to 48 hours
before a result is known.
Dr Coleman said: “ The only
person who has been in direct
contact with the patient during
the potentially infectious period
has been the patient ’s partner.
The partner is being monitored
according to internationally-
“ Ebola is not easy to catch
direct contact with an infected
individual and only occurs through
contact with blood and other body
“ People with Ebola are not
infectious until they are displaying
symptoms. If the health worker
does have Ebola, they will not have
been infectious while travelling as
the individual was not symptomatic
at that time. ”
Dr Coleman said New Zealand
was well placed to respond to a
patient who needs to be tested to
rule out the Ebola virus.
“ While we wait for the test
results, I encourage the media to
respect the patient ’s privacy and
allow the healthcare workers caring
for them the space they need to do
It is understood the Northland
Emergency Ser vices Trust (Nest)
helicopter left Whangarei about
6.45pm to transport the patient.
The helicopter was scheduled to
stop in Auckland to pick up an
It would also pick up specialised
medical personnel and would stop
again in Palmerston North to pick
up one more.
It is understood the helicopter
was the only one available that
could carry that isopod and had
Southland worker in Ebola scare
Dozens of people are feared dead
after Cyclone Pam pummelled Vanuatu
There are no official reports of deaths
or injuries, but there is an unconfirmed
report that 44 people have died in
Penama Province, the United Nations
Office for the Co-ordination of
Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA)
It said the regions of Maewo, Ambae
and Pentecost were most likely to have
been hit the hardest, with an estimated
30,800 living in those areas.
The category 5 storm was travelling
in the direction of the most populated
island of Efate, where more than 65,000
people live, including capital Port Vila.
population 32,540) are also likely to be
directly hit,” the agency said.
The UN aid agency said the tropical
cyclone had moved westward of its
expected track, placing several islands
of the Vanuatu archipelago “directly
in the path of the very destructive eye
region of this cyclone”.
Metser vice said the storm had
intensified overnight and was expected
to get even stronger during the course
of the day.
At 1am NZT the cyclone was located
about 70km east of Port Vila, the
capital of Vanuatu, with winds close to
the centre of about 250kph.
The tropical cyclone is still on track
to skirt the north-east of New Zealand
over the coming days, bringing with it
heavy rain, severe gales and high seas.
A New Zealander who spent the
night hunkering down from the storm,
described herself as “one of the lucky
ones” in an e-mail, because she was
sheltering in “a solid hotel” in Port Vila.
Kristy Norton, who moved to the
island capital more than two years ago
with her husband and two children
from Queenstown, said she felt “very
safe here and well looked after” by staff
at the Grand Hotel.
“ Local hotels and businesses have
opened their arms and doors to local
people encouraging them to find
strong shelter as their shanties and
small village homes have no chance of
sur vival. I sit here typing to you and it’s
the noise that ’s the worst.”
There had already been reports of
loss of water and power at the time of
writing, she said.
“ It ’s hard to comprehend the
devastation that we’ll wake to
tomorrow. The stories that people are
reporting on social media frighten me
to tears; make me sick to my stomach,”
dead as cyclone
slams into Vanuatu
A proposal to truck frozen Meals on
Wheels from Auckland to Dunedin
and Invercargill has sparked outrage
in the South.
Auckland is 1435km from Dunedin
and 1639km from Invercargill.
The Southern District Health
Board hopes to save $7 million over
a 15-year outsourcing contract with
Compass Group, and will decide in
May whether to approve the plan.
Dunedin Mayor Dave Cull said
there must be a way the health board
could continue to produce Meals on
Wheels in a cost-effective manner.
“ I don’t believe bringing the food
all that way can save the money that
they say it will ... there has to be
alternatives here that are competitive.’’
The lessons of the Canterbury
earthquakes about centralisation had
to be heeded.
The change would affect local
suppliers and businesspeople.
“For a whole lot of reasons I
wouldn’t have thought it was very
Hospital patient meals are affected,
too — they will be assembled on-site
using pre-prepared meal components
sourced from a variety of centres,
Grey Power Otago president Jo
Millar said the board should have
been more open from the start about
the “ridiculous’’ idea.
“ What facilities are there going to
be if they can’t truck this food down
south in the mid-winter?
“ How long is the food going to be
in frozen storage?
“ We have no idea what the quality
of those meals are going to be coming
down from Auckland — absolutely
Meals would be heated before
delivery, but Mrs Millar said many
older people ate in the evening.
Heating meals twice was potentially
She also feared the new meals for
the hospital patients would lack
Mrs Millar said the south was
losing too many jobs, and the health
board had a responsibility to its
Without a functional economy
with a range of jobs the community
Health board chairman Joe
Butterfield said he could not
comment because staff consultation
was under way.
Compass Group New Zealand
issued a statement yesterday saying
the company could utilise sea or air
links if road transport was blocked.
The company used the latest
freezing technology for meals, which
ensured maximum nutrient retention.
Other health boards have also
considered outsourcing food ser vices,
after being encouraged by the
Government to save money.
A spokeswoman for the Waikato
District Health Board said managers
there recently recommended the
board not go ahead with outsourcing
at this stage, and see how it fared in
The final decision will be made at
the board’s May meeting.
Otago Daily Times
Outrage over frozen Meals on Wheels proposal
A probation officer is suing his
bosses for removing safety concerns
from a report given to the Parole
Board under his name about an
offender who is now on the run and
described by police as dangerous.
Key paragraphs, including that the
prisoner was a high risk of violent
reoffending, were removed without
the author’s knowledge from the risk
assessment section of a probation
report considered by the Parole
Board when it was deciding whether
to release Rere Topou Pumipi.
Pumipi, 22, was in jail for attacking
a man with a hammer in 2012 and
causing life-threatening injuries.
In 2007 Pumipi stuck a knife in a
According to documents filed
in the High Court in Wellington
last month, 15 paragraphs were cut
behind probation officer Stanley
Gilmour’s back after his report had
passed the department ’s quality
Pumipi has 16
including the knife and hammer
incidents. Police this week said he is
considered dangerous and should not
He is wanted for absconding from
the address where the Parole Board
ordered he live.
The victim of the hammer attack,
Kevin Morrissy, said it was a concern
if Pumipi’s risk assessment was
improperly toned down.
“I just about died,” he told Judge
Duncan Har vey
sentencing in 2013. “I
understand why someone who I’ve
met only twice before would want to
kill me with a hammer.”
Mr Gilmour is seeking a declaratory
judgment that the alterations and
deletions were unlawful and breached
the obligations of probation officers
set out in the Corrections Act 2008
and Parole Act 2002, and that
allowing the reduced report to go to
the Parole Board under Mr Gilmour’s
name was illegal.
Probation officers are required by
law to provide “all” information that
a court or Parole Board may need
and must treat the maintenance of
public safety as their “paramount
consideration”. The Parole Board
is required by law to consider “all”
Corrections will strongly defend Mr
Gilmour’s claims, assistant regional
commissioner Alastair Riach said in
“Parole assessment reports are
submitted to the New Zealand
Parole Board by the Department of
Corrections with input from a number
of staff,” Mr Riach said. “ The reports
are subject to review and moderation
as part of the Department ’s normal
quality assurance processes.”
New Zealand Herald
Probabation officer sues over report
Questions remain about up to
$15 million of New Zealand infant
formula that will arrive in China over
the next week without new import
certification introduced following the
1080 poison threat, says the head of an
China’s Administration of Quality
Super vision, Inspection and Quarantine
(Aqsiq) revealed on Tuesday that all New
Zealand milk products must now be
accompanied by a ‘1080-free’ certificate.
That followed the announcement
Fonterra and Federated Farmers had
received letters from an anonymous
activist in November threatening to
poison infant formula with the pesticide.
The chairman of the New Zealand
Infant Formula Exporters Association,
Michael Barnett, said one exporter had
$1.5m to $2m of product stuck at a port
without the certificate.
“There’s question marks as to what sort
of certification that product is going to
require to efficiently move through the
The association has criticised the
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
for not informing exporters earlier about
the new testing requirement.
“ We still haven’t had any official
information,” Mr Barnett said.
MPI deputy director-general Scott
Gallacher said the ministry was informed
of the new certification only this week
and it was still working with its Chinese
counterparts to obtain further details of
the scope of the testing requirements.
“ Relevant parties, including the New
Zealand Infant Formula Exporters
Association, were notified shortly after
we became aware of the rationale of what
was being requested,” Mr Gallacher said.
He said MPI’s Chinese counterparts
had indicated they were unaware of any
products being held up in China.
New Zealand Herald
Having been told they had
had a miscarriage, a Whanganui
couple spent a night grieving for
their lost child, only to learn the
baby was alive and well.
Crystal Waitokia and her
partner Chance Muir are upset
at the mis-diagnosis — and that
they were refused an ultrasound
scan that would have confirmed
the baby’s health.
The couple were in the
Whanganui Hospital on March 1
because Miss Waitokia had been
suffering cramping and bleeding
12 weeks into her pregnancy, and
a doctor mistakenly told them
they had had a miscarriage.
“At first we didn’t believe it,”
Ms Waitokia said.
“ We went to the hospital to
rule out a miscarriage — we
never actually expected to have
She had suffered similar
symptoms two weeks earlier and
went for tests at the hospital to
find out her baby was fine. The
second time it happened the
doctor gave the diagnosis after
only looking at blood test results.
Mr Muir asked for an
ultrasound to double check, but
was told there was no point,
Miss Waitokia said.
They went for a specialist
determine what had caused the
miscarriage, but as soon as the
scan came up on the screen, the
baby was “jumping around . . .
and you could see the heartbeat,”
Ms Waitokia said.
Whanganui District Health
Board surgical ser vices clinical
director Mark Stegmann said the
doctor’s miscarriage diagnosis
was understandable given Miss
Waitokia’s clinical presentation.
But a definitive diagnosis of
miscarriage should not usually
be made without confirmation,
either by a repeat blood test some
days later or by an ultrasound
scan, Dr Stegmann said.
The doctor “regrettably” told the
patient she had miscarried before
they had this confirmation.
The couple, who have two
other children, have laid a
complaint with the hospital over
“ We just want the doctor
to learn a bit more about
Complaint over miscarriage diagnosis
There are concerns for the
welfare of a missing German
tramper who has not been heard
from since Tuesday.
Esther Gehrmann, in her early
40s, was believed to be tramping
in the Mount Star veall area of
the Mount Richmond Ranges in
south Marlborough, which was
part of the Te Araroa Trail.
Ms Gehrmann left a message
in the Mt Starveall hut log on
Tuesday, the content of which
had raised concerns for her
welfare, police said.
The alarm was raised yesterday
evening by a tramper who had
been in the area.
It was believed she had
intended to walk south towards
St Arnaud, police said.
Police would like to speak
to anyone who had been in
that area and anyone who had
spoken with her. Anyone with
information should call Nelson
Concerns for missing German tramper
‘1080’ powder blockade fears
Do you know an
April 3-5, 2015
Information and Registration Forms
are available from:
Wayne Stanton 768 5115 or 027 230 6918
Phil Campbell 768 7130 or 021 768 572
Mel Hibbs 021 348 210
Brad Tacon 762 6077 or 027 276 4574
Get together, Suburbs clubrooms
Football games, field naming, memorial service,
photos etc, BBQ lunch at Karoro
Evening function at Australasian Hotel,
formal speeches and presentations
Australasian Hotel, BBQ lunch and farewell
$125 per person
advert kindly sponsored by Anisy Funeral Services
Links Archive March 13th 2015 March 16th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page