Home' Greymouth Star : April 1st 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, April 1, 2015 - 5
United Nations (New York)
At least 62 children have been
killed and 30 injured in Yemen
over the past week as fighting has
escalated, the United Nations
children’s agency UNICEF says.
“Children are in desperate need
of protection, and all parties
to the conflict should do all in
their power to keep children
safe,” UNICEF ’s representative
for Yemen, Julien Harneis, said
Fighting has escalated sharply
in Yemen after a Saudi-led
coalition over the weekend
launched air strikes to block an
advance by Shi’ite rebels know as
UNICEF said the fighting
was severely damaging health
and education ser vices, and
exacerbating already precarious
conditions for children who are
facing a food crisis and acute
The violence is leaving children
terrified and more of them are
being recruited as child soldiers,
The UN earlier pulled its last
remaining 13 foreign employees
from Yemen, while its peace
envoy, Moroccan diplomat Jamal
Benomar, relocated to Jordan to
try to revive negotiations.
“It ’s difficult in a time of war
to get negotiations going, but
it’s precisely crucial to do so at
that very time,” UN spokesman
Farhan Haq said.
“ We need to get the fighting
stopped and we need to get
everything back on track.”
The United Nations is backing
embattled President Abedrabbo
Mansour Hadi as Yemen’s
legitimate leader in the face
of the Huthi uprising that has
plunged the poor Arab state
deeper into chaos.
Hadi has fled to Saudi Arabia,
which has accused Iran of
backing the Huthis in a bid to
bolster its influence in the region.
62 children killed in Yemen over past week
Australian Prime Minister Tony
Abbott has been described in the United
States as the “world’s worst climate
That is the bad news for the prime
The good news is Mother Jones, the
San Francisco-based non-profit news
organisation that gave him the label, is
cautiously heartened by his government ’s
recently published climate issues paper.
With a new global climate deal to be
hammered out in Paris later this year,
Abbott ’s issues paper states it is in
Australia’s national interest for “a strong
and effective global agreement, that
addresses carbon leakage and delivers
The overnight Mother Jones article,
with the headline The World’s Worst
Climate Villain Just Showed Us Exactly
How to Stop Global Warming, said
there was reason to be sceptical and not
get too excited about Abbott ’s climate
“ I have no idea what ‘carbon leakage’
is,” Mother Jones climate desk associate
producer Tim McDonnell wrote.
“ Presumably it’s something similar to
carbon dioxide emissions, which are the
leading cause of global warming.
“ Regardless, the announcement is a
welcome sign from an administration
that was recently ranked as the ‘worst
industrial country in the world’ on
climate action. ”
Mother Jones describes itself as a non-
profit news organisation specialising in
investigative, political and social justice
reporting. — A AP
on April 1
There will be no Vegemite museum and
scientists have not managed to create a
April Fool’s Day is upon us again,
bringing all manner of wacky, wish-it-
While most people are alert to bizarre-
sounding stories, several news websites
let their guard down, publishing joke
news that a Vegemite museum would
open in Melbourne — in the shape of a
Among the false news to look out for
on April 1 is a joke claim by Woolworths
to have created a “ watermapple” — a
hybrid watermelon-apple — and a
futuristic VO5 hair clip that tethers to a
smartphone to monitor hair health.
If only. — AAP
Nigerians streamed down the streets of
flashpoint northern cities, waving flags and
chanting in celebration of a stunning election
victory by opposition candidate, northerner
The divided city of Kaduna had been calm and
deserted for most of the day as ner vous residents
stayed indoors, glued to radio and television
sets for word from the electoral commission
about the results of this weekend’s presidential
The city was at the centre of a wave of political
bloodshed in 2011 after the last election in which
Buhari lost to President Goodluck Jonathan, a
southerner whose People’s Democratic Party
has been in power for 16 years.
However, as it became apparent that Buhari,
a northern Muslim, had built an unassailable
lead, many emerged from their homes, shouting
Young men on motorcycles sped down
Kaduna’s main avenue, performing stunts and
waving flags and brooms symbolic of Buhari’s
opposition All Progressives Congress (APC).
There were similar scenes in Kano, northern
Nigeria’s biggest metropolis, and the north-east
capital of Maiduguri, a city under siege from
Islamist Boko Haram militants who have killed
thousands in the last five years.
“I came out to celebrate because Buhari has
won. I joined the queue, I waited and I voted
because I want change in Nigeria,” Abubakar
Musa, a 42-year-old trader in the midst of the
throng in Kaduna, said.
Even though the results were not yet official,
Musa, who confessed to switching allegiances
from Jonathan’s ruling PDP party, said he was
confident that no backroom shenanigans could
deny Buhari victory.
“I don’t think the federal Government can
change the results now. When you look at the
results so far, when you look at the margin that
Buhari is leading with, there is no way that can
change,” he said.
The police stood by and watched as the masses
marched past, dancing, singing and waving
APC flags, while a helicopter flew overhead in
the opposition’s stronghold neighbourhood.
As police and army trucks drove by moments
later, soldiers raised their fists in triumph,
eliciting roars of approval from the crowd.
Along Lagos Street, another opposition
stronghold, hundreds stood on balconies,
chanting, waving and dreaming of a new era for
Africa’s most populous nation.
“ We are not happy. O ur kids don’t have
jobs. We need change in Nigeria. We want a
turnaround,” said Khadija O usman, a 40-year-
old trader dancing in front of the stall where she
sells soft drinks and bread.
“ We have tested other parties. Now we want
to try APC. If they don’t do anything, we’ ll kick
them out.” — Reuters
The overnight tryst began in
Baltimore with three men, two
dressed as women.
It continued at a motel on the
highway and when one of the
men woke up yesterday, his two
cross-dressing companions, and
his Ford Escape, were gone.
utility vehicle was headed south
on the Baltimore-Washington
Parkway. Its driver, in what
authorities believe may have
been a mistake, took a restricted
exit leading to a security post
at the campus of the National
Security Agency at Fort Meade,
An NSA statement said the
driver ignored police commands
to stop and instead accelerated
towards a police vehicle as at
least one officer opened fire.
The stolen Ford crashed into
the cruiser. One man died at the
scene, and the other was rushed
An NSA officer was also
injured, though officials did not
What had at first looked like
an attempt to breach security at
the listening post that eavesdrops
on communications throughout
the world now appears to be a
wrong turn by two men who
police believe had robbed their
companion of his vehicle and
perhaps did not stop because
there were drugs inside.
A spokeswoman for the
Baltimore FBI said early in the
investigation that authorities
“do not believe (the incident) is
related to terrorism”.
A law enforcement official
said: “ This was not a deliberate
attempt to breach the security of
NSA . . . not a planned attack.”
Police have not named the
people involved. The NSA
statement did not say whether
either person in the car was
struck by gunfire or injured in
Details about how the incident
began were pieced together
with information from several
law enforcement officials and
A Howard County police
spokeswoman confirmed that
the men involved stayed at a
Jessup motel and that the owner
of the Ford called police to report
One police official said it
appeared that the owner of
the Ford picked up the other
two men in Baltimore, though
detectives had not confirmed
that account entirely.
The officials do know that
the three men checked into
the motel and stayed the night.
One official familiar with the
investigation described the
episode as “prostitution and
drug-related”. — AP-PA
Transvestite tryst ends in spy HQ shooting
Priest suspended for nude selfie
Rio de Janeiro
A Brazilian priest known for delivering
sermons disapproving of kissing and sex outside
marriage has been suspended for sending a
nude selfie to an apparent mistress.
“Father Alfredo Rosa Borges has been
suspended from his duties,” and faces ex-
communication, a diocesan spokesman at
Campos de Goytacazes, a northern town in Rio
State said overnight.
Borges is seen posing naked in front of a
mirror holding his cellphone in pictures posted
last week via smartphone ser vice Whatsapp
which have since appeared in on-line media.
Rio daily O Dia reported he had admitted
sending suggestive messages to a woman who
later posted them but denied having an intimate
relationship with her.
“An investigation has been opened but
the photo comprises a transgression for the
Church,” the bishop of Campos, Roberto
Francisco, told O Dia.
Worshippers at Borges’ Santo Antonio church
reported he had first insisted the picture was
fake but then conceded it was him and explained
that “ we are all sinners”.
Borges authors a blog where he expresses
conser vative views on social issues, dubbing
kissing a “grave sin” and sexual liaisons as a
“serious moral disorder as normally it leaves
aside and abandons the procreative aspect ”.
Canadian federal police have charged the
owner of a python in the deaths of two young
boys who were asphyxiated by the snake while
they slept in 2013.
Jean Claude Savoie, 38, was accused of
criminal negligence causing the deaths of the
brothers and faces a possible life sentence if
Royal Canadian Mounted Police constable
Jullie Rogers-Marsh said: “ This was a unique
case in Canada and required consultation with
experts familiar with African rock pythons.”
The two boys, who police said were aged four
and six, were attending a sleepover at a friend’s
apartment in the town of Campbellton, New
Brunswick, when they were surprised by the
snake on August 5, 2013.
Police initially said the reptile had slithered into
the second-floor apartment from an exotic pet
store on the ground floor, but later determined
the African rock python had been housed in the
apartment itself. Its owner did not have a permit
to own a dangerous, exotic pet. — AFP
Snake owner charged over boys’ deaths
Police probing three church fires
Police are investigating the cause of a third
suspicious church fire in Melbourne in a week.
Emergency crews were called to the
Dandenong church at 2am today and managed
to extinguish the blaze.
Another suspicious blaze destroyed St James
Church in Brighton early on Monday.
On the same day, St Mary’s Church in St
Kilda East received minor damage from a fire
police believe was also deliberately lit.
Both churches were attended by notorious
priest Ronald Pickering.
Pickering, now dead, was accused of child sex
abuse against a number of boys in the 1970s and
1980s but was not convicted. Police could not
confirm if officers were investigating whether
the fires were linked. — A AP
Cadbury Large Casket
180-250g, excludes Milk Tray
& Scorched Almond Caskets
Montana Classics 750ml,
excludes Winemakers' Series
Keri Fruit Juice 2.4 -3L
Bluebird Thin, Thick
or Original Cut Potato
Speight’s Gold Medal Ale
or Summit Lager
330ml 24 Pack Bottles
Fresh Quality Mark
Beef Rump Steak
Beef Ribeye Steak
Fanta, Lift or L&P 1.5L
Specials available South Island only from 30 March - 5 April 2015 or while stocks last. Trade not supplied. Due to current
Licensing Trust laws, liquor not available at Elles Road, Windsor & Gore. Specials may not be available at all stores. Club Deals are
only available to Clubcard Members at New World South Island stores when they scan their Clubcard at the time of purchase.
100% NZ OWNED
FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY
n FLY BUY
Links Archive March 31st 2015 April 2nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page