Home' Greymouth Star : April 2nd 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Thursday, April 2, 2015
The grandson of billionaire Getty
oil founder J Paul Getty was found
dead yesterday afternoon at his
home in Los Angeles, the family
said in a statement.
Andrew Getty’s parents, Ann
and Gordon, confirmed the
47-year-old’s death and requested
privacy for the family during “this
extremely difficult time”, adding
that further details would be
released as they became available.
Los Angeles Police Department
spokesman Commander Andrew
Smith said it was very early in the
investigation and witnesses were
being questioned, but no one was
“At first glance, it does not appear
to be a criminal type of act. But
that could change,” Smith said last
The death appeared to be
either accidental or natural, Los
Angeles County Coroner’s Office
spokesman Ed Winter told
reporters in a news conference
broadcast by television station
“He had some medication that
we recovered and don’t know if he
had taken the medication or what
his medical history is, we do have a
doctor’s name that we’re also going
to follow up,” Winter said.
The cause of Andrew Getty’s
death was not immediately
Celebrity news website TMZ.
com reported that Getty, an heir
to his grandfather’s oil fortune,
was found in a bathroom of his
Hollywood Hills home about 2pm
in suspicious circumstances, and
that a former girlfriend was being
detained as a potential witness or
Andrew Getty had sought a
restraining order against a woman
two weeks earlier, the Los Angeles
Getty appeared to have suffered
blunt force trauma, though the
cause was unclear, the paper
reported, citing an anonymous law
Police blocked off the street
outside the home with yellow
crime-scene tape as more
than a dozen news crews and
Getty’s grandfather, J Paul
Getty, merged several smaller oil
companies into Getty Oil in the
At one time one of America’s
richest men, he was also an avid
art collector who established
the trust that funds the J Paul
Getty Museum and several other
institutions. — Reuters
Getty oil tycoon’s grandson dead at 47
Los Angeles Police Department officers and investigators gather on a street leading to the house of Andrew Getty, 47, grandson of Getty oil
founder J Paul Getty, in the Hollywood Hills section of Los Angeles.
More than 50 dead greyhounds have
been found dumped in Queensland
bushland, with a taskforce set up to
probe live-baiting in the State now
investigating the grim find.
At least 55 carcases were found in
the Coonarr area, near Bundaberg, on
A joint SPCA and Queensland
police taskforce is now investigating.
Police said it was unclear how long
the dogs’ bodies had been there, but
confirmed they were found in various
states of decomposition.
There were no greyhound training
facilities or other connections to the
racing industry in the area, a police
They are appealing for anyone with
information to come for ward and are
expected to address media later today.
The taskforce was established to
investigate the use of live baiting
using possums, rabbits and piglets to
train competitive greyhounds.
It came after an ABC Four Corners
expose from earlier this year sparked
widespread outrage after showing
racing dogs chasing and mauling live
So far, five people have been charged
with a total of 23 offences in the State.
An independent review headed up
by barrister Alan MacSporran SC is
also being conducted into the practice.
It is expected to be completed in
about three months’ time.
This review aims to find out how
widespread the use of live baiting is
in Queensland, and how it could go
undetected for so long. — AAP
55 dead greyhounds found in Queensland bush
A court has sentenced a German
former police officer to eight years and six
months in jail for killing a willing victim
he met on a website for cannibalism
“ He was found guilty of murder
and disturbing the peace of the dead,”
presiding judge Birgit Wiegand said
overnight at the regional court in the
eastern city of Dresden.
Detlev Guenzel, 57, went on trial in
August over the killing of Polish-born
Wojciech Stempniewicz, a business
consultant, at the defendant ’s home, a
bed-and-breakfast inn in the mountain
town of Hartmannsdorf-Reichenau near
the Czech border, in November 2013.
The defendant sat impassively with
arms folded as the verdict was read out.
The court had heard that the accused
had cut the body into small pieces and
buried them in his garden but there was
no evidence that he ate any part of his
State lawyers had sought 10 and a half
years in prison for the defendant, a trim,
soft-spoken father of three adult children
whom neighbours described as friendly,
generous and unfailingly polite.
Lawyers representing the family of
Stempniewicz, 59, had requested a 15-
year sentence, usually the maximum in a
But prosecutors said they stopped short
of this demand because Stempniewicz
said he wanted to die.
The men came across each other in
October 2013 on a website for slaughter
and cannibalism fantasies billed as the
“#1 site for exotic meat ” and boasting
more than 3000 registered members.
Chad’s army said its forces had killed
hundreds of Boko Haram militants and
lost nine of its own troops in clashes in
northern Nigeria overnight.
Soldiers from Chad and Niger drove
the insurgents from Malam Fatori, one
of Boko Haram’s last major footholds
near Nigeria’s border with Niger, earlier
Yesterday ’s clashes took place as they
were mopping up.
“There was fighting and we recorded
nine dead and 16 injured. There were
hundreds of dead on Boko Haram’s
side,” a spokesman for Chad’s army,
Colonel Azem Bermandoa, said.
Bermandoa said the fighting had
driven militants more than 10km outside
the town, which had been held by the
militants since November. There was no
immediate comment from Niger’s army
on any casualties.
Boko Haram’s bid to create a caliphate
in the north-east forced Nigeria to
delay in an election due in February.
An offensive by Nigerian, Chadian
and Nigerien troops has since pushed
militants out of most of the towns they
Militants failed to deliver on
threats to cause havoc during the
rescheduled election, and president-
elect Muhammadu Buhari promised
overnight to “spare no effort ” to defeat
the group, which seized swathes of
territory under outgoing president
Goodluck Jonathan. — Reuters
PICTURE: Getty Images
John and Cynthia Lennon in 1964.
Cynthia Lennon, the first wife of
former Beatles guitarist John Lennon,
has died of cancer at her home in
The news was announced overnight
on the website and Twitter account
of her son, Julian Lennon, and was
confirmed by his representative.
The 75-year-old died at her home in
Mallorca “following a short but brave
battle with cancer,” a statement from
the representative said.
It said Julian Lennon was at his
mother’s bedside throughout.
The family is “thankful for your
prayers. Please respect their privacy at
this difficult time. ”
Julian Lennon also posted a tribute
video to his late mother with a song
he had written in her honour.
The lyrics thanked her for giving up
her life for him.
Cynthia and John Lennon met at
art school in Liverpool and married
shortly before the Beatles shot to
Early on, the fact that Lennon was
married was concealed to protect his
image as a teen idol.
They divorced in 1968 after John
Lennon started his relationship with
Japanese artist Yoko Ono.
Author Hunter Davies, who wrote
the only authorised Beatles biography
in 1968, described Cynthia as a “ lovely
woman” who was ill-treated by her
He said that unlike John, she was
“quiet and reser ved and calm” and “not
a hippy at all.”
He said their friends at art school
never thought the relationship would
last because they were so different.
In her book, Cynthia described
being mistreated by John.
Julian was their only child together.
John Lennon’s first wife dies of cancer
Dozens of civilians have been
reported dead after a dairy plant
was bombed in Yemen, as aid groups
warned of a brewing humanitarian
crisis from Saudi-led strikes on
Rights groups have voiced growing
alarm about civilian casualties from
the nearly week-old air war aimed
at preventing the fall of President
Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.
At least 37 workers were killed and
80 wounded overnight at the dairy in
the port city of Hodeida, provincial
governor Hasan al-Hai said, without
specifying whether the factory was
hit by an air strike or rebel shelling.
The head of the provincial health
authorities, Abdulrahman Jarallah,
gave a toll of 35 people killed and
Part of the factory was destroyed
and rescue teams were looking for
sur vivors under the rubble, according
to a medic at a Hodeida hospital that
received the casualties.
The circumstances of the bombing
were unclear, with some witnesses
saying the dairy was hit by a coalition
air strike and others blaming rebel
forces loyal to former president Ali
The Saudi-led coalition bombarded
rebel positions in Yemen’s main
southern city Aden in a seventh night
of raids that also targeted the capital
and other areas.
The Aden strikes were focused
administration complex in Dar Saad
in city’s north, according to a military
He said there were “many dead and
wounded” among the Huthi Shi’ite
rebels but was unable to give a precise
The coalition has vowed to keep
targeting the Huthis and allied army
units loyal to Saleh until they end
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah
al-Sisi urged the rebels to “back off ”
for the sake of their country, saying
Cairo is participating in a military
campaign there for Gulf Arab
“The stability of Yemen and the
safety of its people hangs from your
necks,” Sisi said in a televised speech
to military and police officers.
Iran is accused of backing the rebels
but Tehran denies providing military
The headquarters of a renegade army
brigade loyal to Saleh was targeted
overnight in the north of Aden, as
well as the city’s international airport,
the military official said.
Amnesty International accused the
coalition of “turning a blind eye to
civilian deaths” as it reported four
children were among six burned to
death in strikes on Ibb, in central
Yemen. — AFP
Dozens die as Yemen dairy plant bombed
Sir Paul McCartney has
revealed where he finds
inspiration to finish writing
some of his songs — in the
The former Beatle, 72,
disclosed how he goes
about songwriting — and
why he avoids penning
tracks about sex — in an
inter view with Q magazine.
He also hinted that his
Shevell was left unimpressed by his
latest collaboration with rapper Kanye
West, because of the song’s use of “the
McCartney, who is famed for being one
of the greatest living singer-songwriters,
told how he begins writing with any
“first line” even “if it’s rubbish . . . to get
Asked whether he had ever felt shy
about playing someone a new song,
Sir Paul told the magazine: “Shy,
embarrassed, yes, if it’s not finished. ”
The star, who penned his first song
when he was 14, added: “ The trick is to
go off on your own and finish it.
“Go into the toilet — toilets are good.
While Wings’ 1972 hit Hi Hi Hi was
banned by the BBC for its references
to sex and drugs, McCartney admitted:
“Sex is something I prefer to do, rather
than sing about.
“Hi Hi Hi was from a period when
everybody was getting
stoned and having sex. I
suppose singing about sex
is not really in my genre. ”
He added: “I can be angry
but I can’t find a natural
way to put it into a song.
It’s the same with sex. ”
McCartney has been
collaborating with West,
most recently on All Day,
which the hip hop star
performed at the Brits.
The musician said: “I
think he mentions the ‘n’ word about
40 times. It ’s controversial, I know,
especially with the climate in modern-
“It really shocked Nancy (McCartney ’s
wife), because she’d been to school with
a lot of black kids and been immersed in
McCartney also revealed that he
now believes in star signs and that he
attributes his songwriting talents to the
fact that he is a Gemini.
“There are two sides to Gemini. And if
you listen to my stuff there are two sides
to some of it — Ebony and Ivory, Hello
Goodbye . . . so I never used to believe
all this, but now I’m thinking ‘Maybe
there’s something in it ’.”
He said: “I’ve never been into the
zodiac before . . . but just recently I’ve
started to think about this wheel of life,
and how, at certain points in the year,
people get thrown off . . . and are born. ”
McCartney finds inspiration in loo
Sir Paul McCartney
Canadian singer Joni
Mitchell, one of the
symbols of the Woodstock
generation, is in intensive
care in a Los Angeles
hospital, according to her
Mitchell, 71, was found
unconscious in her home
yesterday but regained
ambulance ride to a Los
Angeles hospital, said a
statement on her website.
“S he is currently in intensive care
undergoing tests and is awake and in
good spirits. More updates to come as
we hear them. Light a candle and sing a
song, let ’s all send good wishes her way,”
The news was broken by the celebrity
website TMZ, which said emergency
ser vices came to the singer-songwriter’s
house yesterday afternoon.
A representative of the singer did not
immediately answer calls.
Mitchell, whose real name is Roberta
Joan Anderson, is known for hits
including The Circle Game, Big Yellow
Taxi and Help Me, among many others.
She was one of the top musicians
to come out of the 1960s music scene,
along with the Doors, Neil Young,
Carole King, the Eagles, the Mamas and
the Papas and Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Other artists have done cover versions
of her songs, including Prince, Bjork and
Janet Jackson, the Los Angeles Times
She has received eight Grammys, the
top prize in the United States music
industry. She was also inducted into
the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in
Mitchell says she suffers from an
ailment called Morgellon’s disease,
which is described as a crawling, biting
or stinging sensation all
over the body.
Some doctors say it is a
real illness, while others
call it a form of psychosis,
whereby patients believe
their skin is infected with
“ I have a tremendous
will to live,” Mitchell told
the Los Angeles Times in
The paper reported that
in recent years she had
been a vocal advocate for people who
suffer from the condition.
“I’m a polio sur vivor, so I know how
conser vative the medical body can be,”
she told the Times.
“In America, the Morgellons is always
diagnosed as ‘delusion of parasites,’
and they send you to a psychiatrist.
I’m actually trying to get out of the
music business to battle for Morgellons
sufferers to receive the credibility that ’s
owed to them.”
One of Mitchell’s best-known songs
is Woodstock, a tribute to the huge,
counterculture music festival held in
upstate New York in 1969. It brought
together an estimated 400,000 people
and lasted three days.
Mitchell had planned to perform at
the festival, but huge traffic jams leading
to and from the farm where it was held
forced her to stay in New York for a
“So I stayed home in New York and I
watched it on television all day and saw
everybody there playing and singing. It
was really a nice festival, I guess, from
the looks of everything,” she told an
audience at a concert in 1970.
Mitchell has performed the song
herself, but it also became a big hit
for Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young,
as the folk group was known when
accompanied by Neil Young. — AFP
Singer Joni Mitchell critical
bodies found in
Pacific island cave
Six bodies, believed those of Japanese
World War Two soldiers, were discovered
in a cave in the Pacific State of Palau,
Radio Australia reports.
The discovery was made on the island
of Pelileu, where Japanese and American
troops clashed in September 1944,
by a team from non-governmental
organisation Cleared Ground Demining,
the report says.
“At that location was an anti-tank gun
in a heavily fortified concrete bunker
and it took a number of days actually
to capture this fortified position,” Steve
Ballinger of the group was quoted as
“ It ’s my understanding that those were
the crew, perhaps the officer and his men
that were manning that gun,” he said.
A number of American soldiers also
died in the area, Ballinger said. World
War Two-era hand grenades and
ammunition were found along with the
ABC reported that the cave was
reopened for the first time in 70 years
ahead of a visit to Palau by Japan’s
emperor and empress scheduled for next
week. — DPA
Naked man gyrates
in front of
A speed camera operator was forced to
lock himself in his car while a naked man
rubbed his body on the windows.
The aggressive and abusive man also
waved his genitals at passing cars during
two altercations with the same speed
camera operator in Rowville on Australia
Day, police say.
They have released CCTV footage in
the hope of identifying the man, believed
to be in his 30s.
Constable Charles Ryall said the
camera operator sounded an alarm to
scare the man off, but he instead carried
on for up to 10 minutes.
He returned again with alcohol an hour
later and exposed himself again.
“ He rubbed his genitals around the
front of the car near the passenger side
window where the operator was sitting,”
“ He had to lock himself into the car.”
The man was wearing green board
shorts before he took them off, and black
sunglasses. — AAP
British cinemas warn
about air crash film
British cinemas are warning
viewers about a new Argentinian
film which shows a chief steward
intentionally crashing a plane — a
scene bearing eerie similarities to
last week’s Germanwings tragedy.
“ Following the Germanwings
flight incident on Tuesday
March 24, please be aware that
Wild Tales features a sequence
that some customers might find
disturbing,” the Curzon cinema
chain said on its website.
The British Film Institute issued
a similar warning saying: “Please
note: Wild Tales is a work of
fiction, and any similarities with
real events is an unintentional
and regrettable coincidence.”
The film by Argentinian
director Damian Szifron is about
the fine line between civility and
It came out last Friday in
Britain — three days after the
Germanwings crash in the Alps
on February 24.
Prosecutors have said they
suspect co-pilot Andreas Lubitz,
who told his bosses he had
suffered from severe depression,
locked himself into the cockpit
and deliberately crashed the
The plane slammed into a
mountain at 700kph, instantly
killing all 150 people on board.
Wild Tales is co-produced by
Spain’s Pedro Almodovar and
begins with a scene in which the
chief steward locks himself in the
cockpit to crash the plane.
“It begins with a brief, savage
revenge tale set on an aeroplane
(horribly timely in fact, given this
week’s air disaster in France),”
Time O ut magazine said.
Film critic Mark Kermode
wrote in The Observer
newspaper: “ The results are
shocking and sharp as a knife,
but be warned — the unfolding
real-life tragedy in the Alps casts
a grim unforeseen shadow over
the opening segment.” — AFP
Couple wins lottery a second time
An English couple who won
£1 million ($1.989 million) in
the Euro Millions lottery for
a second time, beating odds of
more than 283 billion to one, are
finally planning to move out of
their static caravan home.
Dave and Kathleen L ong, from
Scunthorpe, won their first £1m in
2013 and scooped the big money
prize again on Friday night.
The couple previously banked
£1m in the Euro Millions
millionaire raffle draw on July 26,
2013, before they married.
Despite their windfall, they
decided to upgrade their
prefabricated home — adding
conser vatory and other
improvements — rather than
spend their cash on an upmarket
house. Now they are looking for
what they called their “dream
although they still
appeared to be thinking about a
modest semi-detached house.
Links Archive April 1st 2015 April 4th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page