Home' Greymouth Star : April 29th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 3
Serious injuries in crash
A person has been taken to hospital
with serious injuries after being
struck by a car on Victoria Street
in central Auckland. Police were at
the scene at 6.50am after the crash
near the intersection with Albert
Street. The person suffered serious
injuries, police said, and was taken to
Auckland Hospital. — NZ ME
Car hits truck
A man was rushed to hospital with
serious injuries after his car smashed
into the back of a truck in Auckland
last night. The incident occurred
about 11.15pm on the Southern
Motor way, southbound, near
Manukau. Police said the car crashed
into the rear of a large attenuator road
works truck — which was well lit and
was one of three on the road at the
time. The driver had to be freed from
his car and was taken to Middlemore
Hospital with serious injuries.
— N ZME -New Zealand Herald
Shots fired in arrest
A man on the run from police was
arrested after a two-hour armed
stand-off yesterday. Police saw the
42-year-old man, wanted for failing
to appear in court, just before 10am in
Manurewa, south Auckland. The man
took cover under a house in Mahia
Road. “ When police attempted
to take the man into custody he is
alleged to have presented a firearm
at police and shots were allegedly
fired by both police and the man,”
Counties Manukau police said. The
man suffered unspecified injuries
but police said they were not life-
threatening. — N ZM E
Defence chief in Iraq
New Zealand’s Defence Force
chief has completed a secret trip to
Iraq to meet with his counterpart.
Lieutenant-General Tim Keating
was in Baghdad on Monday and
met with General Babakir Zebari,
the chief of staff of the Iraqi army.
“General Zebari and I discussed the
Iraqi army’s training schedule and
specifically the role of New Zealand
Defence Force personnel who will
be training Iraqi forces at the Taji
military complex near Baghdad,” Mr
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
A trial date has been set for a
man charged with corrupt use of
information. A two-day trial was set
down for Andrew Leicester Burne
in May, in the Wellington District
Court yesterday. He is facing two
charges, including one of corrupt use
of official information. Judge Dennys
Barry remanded Burne on bail until
May 11. — NZME
Numbers in Keno draw No 11116:
6, 7, 13, 14, 17, 21, 24, 25, 31, 36, 45,
49, 50, 55, 56, 57, 61, 71, 75, 77. Draw
No 11117: 4, 5, 6, 18, 24, 25, 27, 30, 32,
33, 35, 42, 45, 51, 53, 63, 65, 67, 70, 77.
Draw No 11118: 5, 6, 12, 15, 18, 19,
27, 32, 33, 45, 49, 56, 58, 59, 61, 62, 68,
73, 74, 77. Draw No 11119: 9, 11, 12,
14, 16, 29, 30, 31, 37, 41, 48, 56, 59, 63,
65, 69, 70, 71, 72, 78.
McDonald’s ‘zero hours’ contracts talks stall
A person was struck and killed by a
train at Orakei Basin this morning.
A train driver reported seeing a person
on railway tracks at Orakei Basin about
The driver reported to police that
he heard a noise when he passed the
location where he had seen the person.
Police arrived at the scene and found a
body on the tracks.
Police are investigating. — NZ ME
Death on tracks
The country’s aged care workers
are mostly older women who feel
over worked and underpaid, a sur vey has
The AUT University sur vey, the first
independent sur vey of aged-care workers,
has found that almost half of rest home
caregivers and more than three-quarters
of home care workers supporting the
elderly are themselves 50 or over.
More than a third of the rest home
caregivers, and three-quarters of the
home care workers, earned below $15 an
hour when the sur vey was taken between
April and June last year.
Just over half (56%) of the rest home
caregivers said they felt under pressure to
work harder, although only 35% of home
care workers felt that way.
Petria Malloch, 37, a caregiver
earning $15.05 an hour at a hospital in
Auckland’s Selwyn Village, said she was
“It’s really, really hard when a resident
is saying, ‘Please sit with me’,” she said.
“ You really want to be able to give them
five minutes, but you’ve got to rush off
and do something else.”
An analysis by accounting firm Deloitte
for the Home and Community Health
Association, also released today, has
found that most home care companies
have cut co-ordinator jobs to cope
with funding increases that have fallen
slightly behind minimum wage increases
over the past seven years. One of the six
companies in the analysis stopped all
pay rises for some staff, and two stopped
granting performance pay or reviews.
Three of the six companies made losses
and one is technically bankrupt with
more liabilities than assets.
Association chief executive Julie Haggie
said the low pay rates were causing staff
“Everywhere, all over the country,
people are reporting shortages. They just
can’t find workers.”
The AUT sur vey found that 83% of
home care workers were dissatisfied with
their wages. Yet surprisingly, 76% of
home care workers and 69% of caregivers
in rest homes and hospitals were satisfied
with their jobs.
“I love my job,” Ms Malloch said. “It ’s a
very rewarding job. But it would make it
a lot easier to feel valued and to stay if we
were paid more. ”
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
Fast-food giant McDonald’s has
walked away from negotiations
aimed at scrapping controversial
zero hour contracts.
The snag in negotiations with the
Unite Union comes after hundreds
of fast-food workers and supporters
took to the streets earlier this month
to demand more secure working
Burger King, Hell Pizza and
Restaurant Brands — which operates
KFC, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and
Carl’s Jr — have all moved to ditch
the so-called zero hour contracts.
That leaves McDonald’s, the
country’s biggest fast-food company
with 9000 workers, as the only major
restaurant chain to retain the contracts.
Unite Union national director
Mike Treen said the union was
bewildered by the company walking
away from negotiations yesterday.
He said the union had welcomed a
revised offer from McDonald’s, but
wanted more information about how
it would work in relation to secure
shifts for staff in the future.
“ We also wanted to continue
bargaining around a few other
claims that were important to the
union, including a special payment
for members to allow the terms of
the collective agreement to be passed
on to non-members of the union.
“ We also wanted the right of staff
to join the union when they join the
company and the right of the union
to put up union information in stores
without a company veto.
“These are basic rights we have at
other fast food companies.”
The union said it would go ahead
with a planned strike by its members
at McDonald’s on Friday — which is
May Day, or International Workers’
McDonald’s New Zealand spokes-
woman Kim Bartlett said the company
had tabled a revised offer which was
in line with the union’s requests at the
last bargaining meeting.
Ms Bartlett said McDonald’s
remained committed to reaching an
agreement. — N Z ME
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm April 28, 2015
a2 Milk Company
2.75 +0.005 10.54
ANZ Banking Gr
- 0 .005 26.34
Auckland Intl Airpt
- 0 .02 71.87
2.98 +0.01 172.4
Diligent BM Services
DNZ Prop Fund
2.01 -0 .01 48.54
6.49 +0.01 185.3
8.26 +0.02 261.2
Fonterra Share Fund
5.42 +0.02 32.15
- 0 .11 138.5
Goodman Prop Tr
1.20 +0.02 162.7
3.12 +0.01 23.47
1.41 +0.01 17.44
Kiwi Property Gr
1.91 +0.01 870.9
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
Orion Health Gr
4.44 +0.04 8.50
1.16 +0.005 18.02
Prop For Ind
1.58 +0.02 2.35
8.15 -0 .05 5 .52
Sky Network TV
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
Trade Me Gr
- 0 .01 26.31
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
20.88 +0.23 122.5
4.91 +0.02 1.80
Trading to 10:30am,
Wednesday, April 29, 2015
DECLINERS: 16 TRADED: 92
Aluminium High Grade
1.0093 0 .9537
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
The murder accused in the dock.
The man accused of raping and
murdering an Auckland mother of three
has said he “panicked” when he hit the
victim and only took her away in his car
to be home before his curfew.
The trial for the 27-year-old accused of
Blessie Gotingco’s murder — who has
name suppression but whose image is
allowed to be published — began in the
High Court at Auckland yesterday.
Justice Timothy Brewer told the
jury this afternoon the defendant had
elected to represent himself and his
former lawyer Chris Wilkinson-Smith
would become his amicus — essentially
assisting him rather than representing
him. At first he told the court he was
reluctant to make an opening statement
and wanted a new lawyer but was urged
to proceed by the judge.
He said the Crown’s suggestions about
time and cause of death had not been
proven and would not be by the end of
The defendant said evidence would
show he “panicked” when he put the
wounded Mrs Gotingco in his car and
took her home because he wanted to
comply with his 8pm curfew.
In its opening yesterday, the Crown
said the defendant deliberately ran down
Mrs Gotingco in his car, breaking her
leg in two places.
It is alleged he then threw her into the
vehicle and drove to his home where he
raped her then stabbed her to death.
Mrs Gotingco, a 56-year-old mother
of three, was last seen leaving her
workplace, Tower Insurance in the
central city, about 7pm on May 24, 2014.
She was only a couple of minutes’
walk from her Birkdale home when the
defendant allegedly mounted the kerb
and mowed her down.
It is alleged he wrapped her corpse
in his bed sheets and dumped her at
Eskdale Cemetery early the following
On May 26, after reviewing his
movements via a GPS tracking device,
police found the body in a scrub area of
A search of his property allegedly
found Mrs Gotingco’s handbag buried
in the defendant ’s garden, a knife with
her blood on it and bloodied towels and
mops in a wheelie bin.
The trial, before Justice Timothy
Brewer and a jury of seven men and five
women, is scheduled to last three weeks.
Mrs Gotingco’s daughter broke down
in tears moments after beginning her
statement in court this afternoon.
Bessie, 19, was the last member of the
family to see her mother alive and chose
to read her evidence in court today, but
she was unable to hold back tears and it
had to be read for her.
Bessie said she had packed the victim’s
lunchbox the night before the alleged
killing and hours later she found the
Tupper ware container by the side of
the road minutes from their home, with
other items including a cellphone.
The Crown said the items were strewn
across the pavement when Mrs Gotingco
was allegedly deliberately run down by
The defendant said evidence would
show he “panicked” when he put the
injured Mrs Gotingco in his car and
took her home because he wanted to
comply with his 8pm curfew.
He also cast doubt on the forensic
“ We’re talking about microscopic
traces of DNA scientists struggled to
isolate and test,” he told the jury.
Accused sacks lawyer
Serial litigant Graham
McCready said his two daughters
were on his mind when he took
the first step to pull up Prime
Minister John Key for his
The former accountant
presented paper work for filing on
a proposed assault charge against
Mr Key at the Auckland District
Court this morning.
Mr McCready travelled by bus
from Hamilton this morning to
personally present the paper work.
Mr Key made international
headlines last week when a blog
reported waitress Amanda Bailey
had her ponytail tugged by Mr
Key on repeated occasions.
McCready alleges a Crimes Act
charge of male assaults female,
which carries a maximum penalty
of two years in jail.
He said it was important that
all women felt safe in their
“I’ve got two daughters myself.
The whole point is that there’ ll
be a bunch of middle-aged men
who’ll think twice before letting
their hands wander around the
“The consequences of this type
of stuff are not trivial. They can
be long-lasting. ” A judge would
now determine whether sufficient
evidence could be brought
for ward in order to warrant a
trial, Mr McCready said.
The paper work would be
officially filed then.
Mr McCready has already filed
a sexual harassment complaint
with the Human Rights
Commission against Mr Key
and a code of conduct complaint
against two police officers to the
Independent Police Authority
over the ponytail-pulling incident.
“The job is done. I’ve done all
“These things belong before the
Mr McCready successfully
brought former Act leader John
Banks before the courts with one
of his private prosecutions.
He said this case was
progressing a lot faster than his
prosecution against Mr Banks.
Mr McCready has written to
waitress Amanda Bailey but has
had no direct contact with her,
“ To get to this point with John
Banks it took a year. This has been
one week. It ’s going well.”
McCready explains action against PM
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Private prosecutor Graham McCready shows the documents regarding the proposed assault charge of
male on female this morning.
Dunedin Railways is introducing a
timetabled passenger train ser vice to
The ser vice will run about once a
month this winter and increase to
weekly in summer.
Dunedin Railways has been working
with Tourism Waitaki to increase its
ser vices north of Dunedin in its new
timetable for the next 12 months.
Dunedin Railways chief executive
officer Murray Bond said in an
“exciting development ”
30 trips had been scheduled for
Moeraki and Oamaru in the next 12
“O ur aspiration is to eventually have
a daily ser vice to Oamaru through
summer and we hope to slowly
build to this as customer demand
The new Oamaru ser vices will
depart Dunedin at 9.30am, passing
though Palmerston and Moeraki,
arriving in Oamaru at 12.30pm and
returning to D unedin at 1.30pm.
Dunedin Railways business
manager Toby Mann said the new
ser vice was an extension of successful
“fish and chips” trips to Moeraki last
Passengers could choose to have
a couple of hours at Moeraki beach
or go the whole way to Oamaru and
have an hour there.
“ We expect one-way trips to and
from Oamaru to be popular with
tourists,” Mr Mann said.
“ Encouraging tourists to deviate
from the standard Mount Cook
to Queenstown direct route by
tempting them to include Oamaru,
Dunedin and our two spectacular
train journeys in their itinerary is part
of the master plan.”
He hoped the ser vice could help
them grow to become a “ key gateway”
for the Alps 2 Ocean cycle trail.
Two “double header” weekends in
Oamaru are also scheduled, which
would give people travelling from
Dunedin the opportunity to spend
a night in Oamaru and people from
Oamaru the chance to ride the train
to D unedin for a Saturday night out.
Tourism Waitaki marketing
manager Ian Elliott said he had
been working closely with Dunedin
Railways for some months to increase
the number of passenger train trips.
“It’ll benefit the whole of coastal
“ What really excites me about it is
. . . they have a long-term goal of a
daily ser vice.”
The Oamaru train ser vices start this
year with a special evening ser vice
on May 29 to the Oamaru Fire and
Steam festival, formerly known as
Oamaru on Fire.
— Otago Daily Times
Silver Fern to run regular Dunedin-Oamaru services
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
The Silver Fern railcar.
State highway 8 is down to a single
lane just north of Omarama following a
crash early this morning.
A truck rolled about 3.20am, spilling
oil and taking out power lines.
The driver received moderate injuries
in the crash. — Otago Daily Times
Oil spilled in truck crash
A man accused of assaulting children
has pleaded not guilty to all charges in
the Whanganui District Court.
Gary William Still has been charged
with injuring with intent to injure, four
counts of assaulting children, and four
counts of assaulting with intent to injure.
The alleged offending is said to have
occurred between 2005 and 2014, against
He entered his not guilty pleas on
Still was denied bail by Judge David
Cameron and a case review was
scheduled for June 30.
— NZ ME-Wanganui Chronicle
Child assault denied
Women’s rights not raised in Saudi Arabia
Prime Minister John Key has met
with the Saudi Arabian king and
raised the issue of human rights.
Mr Key is the first New Zealand
prime minister to visit Saudi
Arabia and is doing so to push
for a free trade deal with the Gulf
The Green Party has said such an
agreement is inappropriate given
the oil-rich kingdom’s human
rights record, and pushed for Mr
Key to raise human rights including
women’s rights during the visit.
Amnesty International have urged
Mr Key to speak out on what it said
is Saudi Arabia’s “abysmal” human
Mr Key met King Salman bin
Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh.
After wards, Radio New Zealand
reported that he did not specifically
raise the issue of women’s rights.
“ No, I went into the wider issue
of human rights. I think that ’s the
appropriate way to handle it,” Mr
Key told media. “But our foreign
ministry also has more detailed
conversations, and they have longer
periods of time. That happens at an
ambassadorial level, it happens at
the foreign minister level.”
Mr Key said his meeting went well,
although he could not categorically
say whether a free trade deal would
get over the line.
“The king said he wanted to
expand and develop the relationship
further, he valued the relationship
and he could see the merits in what
we were proposing.
“So I’m pretty hopeful actually,
given the purpose of coming
here was to have face time, that is
important in any relationship, and
it does help over time.”
Mr Key also met with Prince
Mohammed bin Naif, who could
one day be king, and Prince
Alwaleed bin Talal, who is one
of the world’s richest royals and a
He will next visit Kuwait, which
is the final stage in his trade tour of
the Gulf States.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Mark Lundy will again appeal
his double-murder conviction and
Lundy was found guilty on
April 1 of hacking to death his
wife Christine and seven-year-
old daughter Amber in their
Palmerston North home.
Despite an unsuccessful appeal
and retrial since the killings in
August 2000 and his first conviction
in 2002, Lundy’s lawyer Julie-
Anne Kincade said the convicted
murderer would appeal again.
“I can now inform you that an
appeal will be lodged with the
Court of Appeal on behalf of Mark
Lundy,” Ms Kincade said in a
statement yesterday afternoon.
“The appeal is against sentence
and conviction. It is not appropriate
to rehearse in any detail in a public
forum the grounds of the appeal,
but it can be said that the issues
raised will include a consideration
of the (messenger RNA) evidence,”
Ms Kincade said.
A friend of Christine Lundy
said the latest appeal would be
devastating for Christine’s friends
Lundy to appeal conviction again
Balloon flight ends
The Nasa super pressure balloon
launched a month ago from Wanaka
appears to have been “terminated” in the
The National Aeronautics and Space
Administration website tracking the
balloon noted the “ balloon has been
terminated” and shows it somewhere
near the South Australia-New South
No more information on the end of
what was hoped to be a 100-day mission
was available. — Otago Daily Times
Links Archive April 28th 2015 April 30th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page