Home' Greymouth Star : May 15th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, May 15, 2015 - 3
Bridge crash fatal
A person is dead after their vehicle
went off a bridge in Northland
yesterday. The incident happened at
Waimamaku about 8.45pm, senior
sergeant Chris Money of northern
police communications said. The
serious crash unit was at the scene,
he said. No other vehicles were
involved in the crash. — NZ ME
Tornado lifts roof
A reported small tornado has ripped
the roof off a house and damaged at
least three more properties at Coopers
Beach in Northland. The Mangonui
Fire Brigade responded to calls
about the damage on State highway
10 about 2.30pm yesterday. Locals
reported hearing a loud noise similar
to thunder and described it as a
“mini-tornado”. A roof was reportedly
peeled off a two-story house and
smashed through the ranch slider of
the property behind it.
— N ZME -Northern Advocate
Hay bales hit farmer
A Waikato farmer suffered a
suspected spinal injury when he
was struck by falling hay bales
while working in his barn. A rescue
helicopter was called to the 37-year-
old man’s dairy farm near Parawera,
south-east of Te Awamutu, about
8.30am yesterday. He was treated
by a St John paramedic at the scene
before he was flown to Waikato
Hospital. — NZ ME
Booty back with owners
A hotline set up after a huge stash
of stolen goods was uncovered has
helped return stolen motorcycles
and kitchen appliances to burglary
victims. The enormous trove,
including scaffolding, dishwashers,
fireworks and a 30,000-litre water
tank, was so big it took up 12
shipping containers and several
sheds. Most has now been identified
and returned to the owners. It was
believed the Dairy Flat find was
the biggest stolen goods seizure in
the history of the Waitemata police
district. — NZME
Sky to cost more
Sports fans will be paying more to
watch the upcoming Rugby World
Cup on Sky TV. The company
announced yesterday it would be
increasing the cost of its basic and
sport packages by $1.15 and $1.61
a month respectively. The current
costs for the packages are $48.07 a
month for basic and an additional
$26.68 for sport. After the increase,
these will rise to $49.22 and $28.29
respectively. For a household
subscribing to both, this means a rise
of 3.7%. The price increases go into
effect on June 15. — NZME
Numbers in Keno draw No 11180:
46, 53, 57, 64, 69, 73, 75, 80. Draw No
11181: 2, 15, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 33,
36, 39, 40, 44, 46, 48, 51, 60, 61, 62, 74.
Draw No 11182: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13,
15, 31, 33, 41, 60, 61, 63, 64, 65, 73, 75,
76, 80. Draw No 11183: 1, 6, 7, 11, 12,
26, 29, 31, 34, 39, 43, 49, 57, 62, 63, 71,
75, 77, 78, 79.
Deluge, twister costs counted
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times-Supplied
Children’s author Craig Smith is seeking crowdfunding for his
A young Wellington man says he
wishes he could have done more to
help save an elderly man who died
after his car became submerged in
rising floodwaters yesterday.
Police said a car was found
under water in Bracken Street,
Petone, yesterday, with the keys in
the ignition at 11.30am, following
rising floodwaters in the area.
The body of an 80-year-old man
was later found near the vehicle in
Michael Jenness, 21, was at work
yesterday on Bracken Street, when
he heard a car was fully submerged
by water, near the bank of a small
river next to Sladden Park.
“ We had just finished up
work... there was a ute that went
and checked out the boat ramp
just before us. They just made a
comment about a car.
“ I headed over there and thought
it might be a good idea to call the
When he arrived he noticed a
small car was fully submerged in
water, he said.
“ You could only see the antenna
and just the top of the roof. ”
At first he believed it was a parked
car which had been washed out into
the river, he said, but decided to call
When police arrived they could
not reach the car because of the
swollen stream, he said.
“Then the fire truck showed up...
by then there was nothing anyone
could do really.”
Mr Jenness said he did not know
there was anyone in the car at the
time he called emergency ser vices.
“I thought maybe people had
parked up there and gone for a walk
along the riverbank.
“I got a call from police later that
day, and they said that there was an
80-year-old man floating around.
“That was a bit stink. I felt like I
could have done something but it
was probably too late anyway,” he
Police said there were no
surrounding the man’s death.
A man, who did not wish to
be named, was at the scene of
yesterday ’s incident.
He said the elderly man’s family
members were frantically searching
for him as floodwaters in the area
The elderly man was meant to be
meeting his family for lunch nearby,
and when he failed to arrive, his
family began searching for him, he
The elderly man’s brother-in-law
was searching for him around the
park before his submerged car was
The man said he did not get any
sleep last night.
“ You read about this sort of stuff
happening . . . but actually being
there and seeing it all happen is
different.” — NZME
Man tells of seeing car washed away
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm May 14, 2015
a2 Milk Company
ANZ Banking Gr
35.60 +0.05 18.71
Auckland Intl Airpt
4.56 +0.01 33.97
2.97 +0.005 330 .6
5.58 +0.03 1.83
Diligent BM Services
5.42 +0.05 0 .80
DNZ Prop Fund
2.02 -0 .01 15.15
6.25 +0.03 116.0
Fonterra Share Fund
5.00 +0.01 259.2
Goodman Prop Tr
1.17 +0.005 7.00
1.29 -0 .01 290.9
1.47 +0.01 48.74
Kiwi Property Gr
1.29 -0 .005 237.0
2.39 +0.01 18.70
4.88 +0.01 208.0
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
3.60 +0.03 116.6
1.12 +0.01 16.85
Orion Health Gr
4.57 -0 .03 2.53
- 0 .01 29.17
1.13 +0.005 43.42
Prop For Ind
1.57 +0.01 12.09
8.03 +0.03 21.51
Sky Network TV
- 0 .01 227.8
2.88 +0.01 622.0
Steel & Tube
2.92 +0.02 3.69
Summerset Gr Hldgs
Trade Me Gr
3.84 -0 .02 493.7
7.74 +0.04 0.81
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
1.66 +0.005 38 .65
2.78 +0.02 10.96
35.56 +0.26 5.82
19.90 +0.38 8 .87
Trading to 10:30am,
Friday, May 15, 2015
DECLINERS: 19 TRADED: 90
Aluminium High Grade
0.9655 0 .9122
94.950 88 .080
Rain-sodden residents in Wellington
and the Bay of Plenty were mopping up
today after the areas were drenched by
Wild weather lashed the regions,
resulting in the death of an elderly Petone
man, whose car became submerged in
rising flood waters.
Flooding on State highways 1 and 2 also
cut the capital off from the country and
caused major traffic chaos. Wellington’s
civil defence said commuters to the city
today should consider an alternative
route or work from home, or walk or
bike to work.
All train ser vices remain halted today,
with no bus replacement ser vice.
Kapiti residents were evacuated from
27 homes on Kapiti Coast yesterday.
Meanwhile a tornado extensively
damaged homes, business and a sports
stadium in Mount Maunganui about
Bay of Plenty Fire Ser vice area
commander Murray Binning said
daylight revealed the extent of the
damage from the twister.
Eight houses were left uninhabitable,
but residents escaped injury, he said.
“So we’re really lucky.”
The clean-up began in earnest last
night, Mr Binning said.
“ We had lots of iron and debris on
roads, we had tree branches and trees
down, tree branches all over the road,
a lot of miscellaneous debris on the
roads and in and around the shopping
The Fire Ser vice attended about 40
calls within about three hours until
midnight and heavy rain continued
to fall overnight, Mr Binning said this
“Also power was out in the area, so it
was difficult for us to fully access the
damage . . . so I would imagine today
is going to reveal even more damage
and we may find our call rate picks up
Mount Maunganui resident Kaya
Ahu-D wyer told Radio New Zealand
she rushed home after the tornado hit
to find the twisted remains of someone’s
shed blocking her driveway and part of a
trampoline on her porch.
“ Both of my windows are smashed,
there was also a big gash in my partner’s
van as well. ”
She was terrified for the safety of her
“All of this happened and I wasn’t
Another resident, named Anton, said
the winds were gale force.
“The neighbour ’s wondering what
happened to my fence — as quick as it
came here it just went that way. ”
Metser vice meteorologist John Law
said there would be no let up today, with
more rain forecast.
“There is a line of rain and some
thunderstorms trying to make their
way into the western side of the North
“ It looks like more Taranaki and up
towards Bay of Plenty, but I think we will
find more showers down in Wellington
A weather watch remained in place for
Wellington and Kapiti Coast as flooding
fears continued for sodden areas that
could again be targeted by rain today,
Mr Law said.
“ My key message today would be so
stay up to date with the forecasts, to keep
a close eye on the watches and keep a
close eye on the radar.”
The place to be today was the western
coast of the South Island, he said.
Kapiti Coast Mayor Ross Church
urged residents to take care while driving
in the area today as there might still be
flooding and debris on the roads.
“Stay away from water ways and
floodwaters — rivers and streams are still
running high and may contain debris.”
State highway 1 heading south
into Wellington was open, including
both lanes on the Coast Road — but
disruption and delays were likely, he said.
management office group controller
Bruce Pepperell said the disruptions
caused by the heavy rains and flooding
were handled well by Wellingtonians.
“The weather has resulted in some
inconvenience but it has been a great
opportunity for people to put into
practice their emergency arrangements
and check what works.
“ We had four emergency welfare
centres operating on the Kapiti Coast
and two centres in central Wellington.
The fact that they were not needed is
testament to the way people have rallied
together and looked after themselves
and each other. ” — NZME
Students Connor Williams, left, and Cooper Wattam use a kayak to cross a flooded paddock in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington, yesterday.
The captain of the waka Prince
Harry paddled up Whanganui River
yesterday offered to provide a list
of ladies for the young royal — but
warned him that Whanganui’s women
might be too much to handle.
Ned Tapa sat just behind the prince,
something he described as a huge
honour for the Whanganui iwi.
Earlier, Mr Tapa said he had a list of
women he could present to the prince
as prospective wives. That prompted
another crew member to wonder,
“ Will he be able to handle them?”
Mr Tapa agreed. “ They’re beautiful
women, but oh, the old mouth when it
goes. I don’t know if he could handle
Realising some of these women were
listening, he hollered, “Sorry, Aunty!”
and quickly added he wished Prince
Harry the best in finding a woman.
Mr Tapa had car ved a hoe (paddle)
which was gifted to Harry and Mr
Tapa made it clear it was to use rather
than to admire.
Prince Harry later admitted to
someone in the crowd that he was
“ knackered” from the 40-minute
He also admitted to a weak spot, or
rather a bald spot, after someone said
he was like his father, Prince Charles,
saying, “ Yes, I’m losing my hair like
Earlier, he had impressed the locals
at Putiki Marae with his te reo Maori
There, he recalled his uncle
Prince Edward had spent a year in
Whanganui and was a regular visitor
to the marae.
After the paddle, Harry went to the
Whanganui War Memorial centre to
meet about 180 veterans.
George Adams, a Malaya veteran,
said they were most impressed with
Harry. Mr Adams even rated him
more highly than his brother, William.
“ Harry beats him hands down,” he
said. “ You couldn’t get better.”
World War Two veteran Ronald
Dixon was also impressed. “He’s just a
normal man like us. We like him.”
Mr Dixon married again just three
years ago so he too had some advice
for Prince Harry to find love: “You
don’t find them, they find you. ”
— N Z ME-Wanganui Chronicle
Harry impresses veterans
PICTURE: Getty Images
Prince Harry paddles in a waka on the Whanganui River yesterday.
The legal assault on the Prime Minister
is under way again but private prosecutor
Graham McCready wants it known he is
not a “vexatious masked crusader”.
The Hamilton-based litigant filed a
case with the Human Rights Tribunal
yesterday afternoon seeking $30,000
punitive damages from John Key
over the infamous ponytail-pulling
He filed a complaint of sexual
harassment against Mr Key just hours
after a District Court judge tossed out
an attempted criminal prosecution over
pulling the hair of Parnell waitress
Instead of pursuing the matter through
criminal courts, Mr McCready said he
had switched to a civil jurisdiction which
would be more straightfor ward.
“ In the Human Rights Tribunal I can
directly summons these people,” he said.
If allowed, he would be able to cross-
examine the victim and perpetrator
Mr McCready said he could have
pursued the case at the same time as
the criminal complaint but did not want
it to appear as if he was attacking the
matter on all fronts.
“ I could have but then I would look
like a vexatious masked crusader, which
I’m not of course. I would look like a
serial litigant. I only do one of these a
year. ” Mr McCready said he would seek
$30,000 in damages which he would
receive as prosecutor.
He said the money would be donated
to schools to pay for computer purchases.
Mr McCready also intended to
complain again to the Independent
Police Conduct Authority about Mr
Key ’s police bodyguards, to whom Ms
Bailey complained about the hair-
pulling. He said the officers should have
taken action — and that they would
have done were he in the cafe pulling
The case against Mr Key was tossed
out after the judge criticised the lack of
Ms Bailey had said through Unite
Union she would have nothing to
do with Mr McCready’s attempt to
prosecute Mr Key.
Mr Key was reluctant to make much
comment on the court ’s decision
yesterday when he spoke to reporters at
“ I think the court ’s pretty clear and in
the end I’m not going to really engage
with the guy. He’s free to do what he
wants to do.
“That ’s the end of the matter as far
as I’m concerned. I’ve made all the
comments I really want to make on it.
People will judge it for what it is.” Asked
what he thought about Ms Bailey taking
legal advice, he said, “that ’s totally a
matter for her”.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
McCready tries new
tack in Key
Best-selling children’s author
Craig Smith is pitching his latest
book idea directly to the masses.
Tapping into the growing
phenomenon that is crowd-
funding, Smith is asking his fans
to raise the $15,000 he needs to
get the book designed, printed
musician and author of The
Wonky Donkey may have sold
a million copies of his five books
to date, but that does not mean
publishers jump at all his ideas.
Smith says his usual publisher,
Scholastic, has turned down the
book several times, often for
“ legitimate reasons”.
But what he calls his “market
songs to thousands of children
every year — means he trusts his
Those instincts were telling
him his “silly and ridiculous”
song Eating, which is being
wrapped into a story with
illustrations by Arrowtown’s
Scott Tulloch, would “go
“ To get the cash together, I’m
asking my fans, fans of children’s
books and people who enjoy
the idea of self-publishing and
following their dream — without
relying on a publisher or some
For a $25 pledge, they would
receive a signed copy of the book
and its song CD. Other pledge
options ranged from $5 to $65.
If the $15,000 target was not
reached, the money stayed in
pledgers’ bank accounts.
“But I think it’s going to be
huge — I think it’s going to be
Smith’s confidence is well-
grounded — all his books have
had lengthy stints at No 1 in the
best-sellers’ list for New Zealand
It is not even his first foray into
self-publishing. In 2012, after
Scholastic turned down his idea
for Kaha the Kea, he took the
“ huge risk” of investing $25,000
of his own money to publish it
It went straight to No 1, and has
sold 15,000 copies and counting.
Smith said if he worked with a
publisher, he needed to sell 2000
copies of a book to break even,
but crowdfunding reduced that
target to 600.
“ It doesn’t mean I won’t work
with publishing companies again,
but it gives me another option.
“Scholastic is particularly good
for overseas sales. ”
— Otago Daily Times
Seven arrests in Northland gang swoop
Seven people have been arrested in
Kaikohe as part of a crackdown on gangs
in the area, police say.
The operation in Northland was
prompted after a confrontation between
rival gangs occurred in Kaikohe town
centre on May 9.
The 12 minute brawl was witnessed
by members of the public including
children, who were reportedly distressed
by what they had witnessed.
About 30 police officers took part in
yesterday ’s raid, which saw 12 addresses
searched. Seven people — ranging in age
from teenagers to people in their mid-
30s — were arrested, police said.
They will face charges of rioting and
possession of offensive weapons. Some
would face a charge of participation in
an organised criminal group, police said.
A number of weapons were seized
during the searches, including chains,
c lubs, hammers, knives and screwdrivers.
Police also located some cannabis,
methamphetamine, utensils used for
drugs at some addresses, a car and several
thousand dollars in cash. — NZ ME
A 30-year-old man has elected trial
by jury on two charges of intentionally
causing grievous bodily harm to a baby
at Palmerston last month.
The man also elected a jury trial on
charges of unlawfully possessing an
objectionable electronic text document
on April 9 and assaulting a female on
May 5 at Palmerston.
He appeared before justices of the
peace Robert Montgomery and Heather
McKenzie in the D unedin District
Court yesterday and was remanded in
custody by consent for a case review
hearing on July 2. He was granted
interim name suppression.
His lawyer, John Westgate asked for
name suppression for the man in the
meantime but did not seek bail. He
would make a bail application next week,
Mr Westgate said.— Otago Daily Times
Jury trial sought over baby assault
Links Archive May 14th 2015 May 16th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page