Home' Greymouth Star : May 20th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 7
he European Union
agreed to a naval
mission this week to
target gangs smuggling
migrants from Libya
but parts of a broader plan to deal
with the influx began to unravel
in a row over national quotas for
housing asylum seekers.
Many hundreds of deaths at
sea, including the drowning of up
to 900 on a single vessel in the
Mediterranean last month, have
jolted European governments
into a more robust response, but
beyond greater funding for rescue
operations, the EU is divided on
how to act as anti-immigrant
parties gain support at home.
“This is just the beginning. Now
the planning starts,” EU foreign
policy chief Federica Mogherini
said of the naval mission, adding
that the operation could start next
month. Details remain unclear
as member States consider their
“There is a clear sense of
urgency,” Mogherini said of the
migrants, most of whom make for
her native Italy. “As summer comes,
more people are travelling. ”
The European Union wants to
capture smugglers and destroy
their boats off the Libyan coast to
help it tackle the rising number of
migrants fleeing war and poverty
in Africa and the Middle East.
But it wants United Nations
authorisation to operate close
inshore to a country that has
descended into anarchy since
western powers backed a 2011
revolt that ousted Muammar
Nato Secretary-General Jens
Stoltenberg urged Europe to move,
saying Islamic State militants
might be “also trying to hide, to
blend in among the migrants” in
order to get to Europe.
Some 51,000 migrants have
entered Europe by crossing the
Mediterranean this year, with
30,500 coming via Italy. About
1800 have drowned in the attempt,
the UN refugee agency says.
At an emergency summit in
Brussels last month, European
Union leaders agreed to “identify,
capture and destroy vessels before
they are used by traffickers”.
Mogherini flew to New York
this month to seek support for a
draft resolution by Britain, France,
Lithuania and Spain under chapter
7 of the UN Charter, which
allows the use of force to restore
international peace and security.
Without UN authorisation, the
EU’s naval mission, which will be
headquartered in Rome, will not
have the mandate to inter vene in
Libyan territorial waters to seize
“ Nothing will happen without a
UN mandate,” Austrian Defence
Minister Gerald Klug said.
But EU diplomats say the EU
can start using ships, drones and
helicopters in the high seas to
gather intelligence about people
smugglers, although the impact
will for now be limited.
A 19-page document for EU
ministers envisages four phases,
starting with deployment and
assessment, and culminating in
a “disruptional phase”. A UN
Security Resolution “is not
required for the first phase”, the
As part of its migrant strategy,
the European Commission last
week unveiled a plan to take in
20,000 more refugees over the
next two years, a response to an
emergency that saw over 600,000
people seek refuge in the EU in
The EU executive also proposed a
quota system to spread out among
States the burden of housing
hundreds of thousands of people
while their claims for asylum are
processed. At present, a few States,
notably Germany and Sweden,
take the major share.
The idea appeared to be in
Britain has rejected any
quota, exercising an established
exemption from EU migration
policies. The French prime minister
has said he is against quotes
because France has already taken
in thousands of refugees from
Syria and Iraq since 2012.
Spanish Foreign Minister Jose
Manuel Garcia-Margallo said
Spain’s chronic unemployment
meant it could not help: “Pledging
to take in migrants to whom you
cannot provide work would be,
in my opinion, providing a bad
ser vice,” he said.
Slovakia and Hungary are also
against the quota system.
A group of 300 sub-Saharan Africans aboard the Italian finance police vessel Di Bartolo as their boat is left to adrift off the coast of Sicily last week.
EU backs naval force to end migrant crisis
Pensioner held over
London jewel heist
wants his cash
Britain’s Prince Charles shakes hands with Gerry Adams at the National University of Ireland in Galway, Ireland.
Charles, Adams in historic talks
Police have arrested nine
men over an audacious heist
in London’s diamond district
last month, when a gang drilled
through a reinforced concrete
vault and broke into 72 safe
Seven suspects aged between
48 and 76 were arrested during
raids on 12 addresses in London
and surrounds overnight, which
yielded several bags of goods
thought to have been stolen from
the underground vault in Hatton
Another two, aged 43 and 58,
were arrested later in the capital.
All nine remain in custody.
“A number of large bags
containing significant amounts
of high value property have been
recovered from one address,”
a statement from London’s
Metropolitan Police said.
“Officers are confident these are
items stolen during the burglary.”
diamonds, jewels and cash worth
tens of millions of pounds were
taken during the heist on the
night of April 3, at the start of
the Easter bank holiday weekend.
The Metropolitan Police,
known as Scotland Yard, have
been criticised for their response
to the burglary after admitting
that officers did not follow up an
alarm at the vault.
“At times we’ve been portrayed
as if we have acted like Keystone
“ But I want to reassure you
that in the finest traditions of
Scotland Yard, these detectives
have done their utmost to bring
justice to the victims of this
callous crime. ”
The thieves drilled through the
50cm concrete wall of the vault
using what is believed to have
been a diamond-tipped Hilti
Detectives found no sign
of forced entry into the main
building, and believe that the
thieves climbed down a lift shaft
to reach the basement vault.
Photographs from the scene
showed piles of dust-covered
safety-deposit boxes with their
lids crow-barred open and
contents emptied and a safety
door with its bars cut.
Tools including angle-grinders,
concrete drills and crowbars were
left behind. — AFP
Prince Charles has become the first
British royal to meet Irish republican
leader Gerry Adams, on a visit that will
take him to the scene of his great-uncle’s
murder by the IRA.
Charles shook hands with Adams
overnight, the veteran president of
Sinn Fein, the political wing of the no-
longer-active Irish Republican Army
The prince and Adams, both 66, met
at the National University of Ireland’s
campus in Galway, shortly after Prince
Charles started a two-day visit to the
They shook hands in public then had
a private meeting at Adams’s request,
during which the republican figurehead
said both expressed “regret ” over the
Troubles — the three decades of
sectarian bloodshed in Northern Ireland
which left 3500 people dead.
“ We did discuss the need for the entire
process to move for ward . . . and the need
to heal,” Adams said.
“I think it’s fair to say that Charles is
also looking to the future and wants to
be a positive influence.
“Both he and we expressed regret for
what happened from 1968 onwards.”
Adams said of the 15-minute meeting:
“It obviously was a big thing for him to
Adams has always rejected allegations
that he was a key figure in the IRA,
which murdered Charles’s beloved
great-uncle, godfather and mentor Earl
Mountbatten in 1979.
Before the visit, Adams had referred
to Prince Charles by his title as colonel-
in-chief of the British Army’s Parachute
Soldiers from the regiment were found
responsible for the killing of unarmed
civilians during the 1972 Bloody Sunday
massacre — one of the worst incidents
in The Troubles.
Seven years later, the IRA blew
up a boat carrying Mountbatten at
Mullaghmore off the west coast of
Ireland, in one of their most high-profile
The 79-year-old, who was the last
viceroy of British-ruled India and a
father figure to Charles, was killed along
with two relatives, and Paul Maxwell, a
15-year-old local boy who worked on
the fishing boat.
The prince is expected to travel
tonight to the rugged stretch of
coastline near where Mountbatten’s
murder took place, becoming the first
royal to do so.
Adams and other senior Sinn Fein
members boycotted Queen Elizabeth
II’s groundbreaking visit to Ireland in
2011, the first by a British monarch
since the future Republic of Ireland
gained independence from Britain in
But Northern Ireland’s Deputy First
Minister Martin McGuinness, a Sinn
Fein leader who was an IRA commander
in the 1970s, later shook hands with the
Queen during her visit to Belfast in
2012 in a historic meeting.
Irish Foreign Minister Charlie
Flanagan said Prince Charles’s visit
would celebrate Irish-British ties “while
also acknowledging more difficult
moments from the past ”.
Prince Charles kicked off the trip,
described by palace aides as promoting
“peace and reconciliation”, by praising
the “wonderful spirit” of the Irish and
the “fun of being in Ireland”.
“There is a magic, a unique magic
about Ireland which is totally irresistible.
So wherever I go in the world and meet
Irish people, I promise you, it always
makes me feel better,” he said at the
National University of Ireland. — AFP
There is, it seems, no end to
David Farnell’s capacity to shock
The Perth man first came to
notice when he and his wife,
Wendy Li, left disabled son
Gammy behind in Thailand,
where he had been born to a
surrogate mother. They took his
healthy twin sister, Pipah, home
Not long after wards, it emerged
Farnell was a convicted child
sex offender. But he and Li still
have custody of Pipah following
an investigation by Western
Australia’s Department for Child
Now, stretching belief, Farnell is
trying to get his hands on money
that was raised for Gammy’s
upbringing after the case made
international headlines last year.
After he and Li abandoned the
Down syndrome boy, Gammy ’s
surrogate mother, Pattaramon
Chanbua, said she would raise
($252,934) was donated by
more than 6000 people around
the world, with the funds to be
administered by Hands Across
the Water, an Australian charity
that supports Thai children.
Founder Peter Baines said
yesterday he had no idea on what
basis the couple had gone to
court to seek leave to access the
funds. He told the ABC: “It ’s
perplexing. I don’t understand it
on any level.”
The move horrified Chanbua,
who suggested Farnell had “gone
insane to think like this”.
She told the ABC: “He does
not deser ve or have any rights
to the fund, as he abandoned
Gammy in the first place. People
donated money for Gammy and
not for anyone else. Even though
I am Gammy ’s mother, I don’t
have any right to take it.”
Baines said the charity had
developed a long-term strategy
to support Gammy, based on
expert advice about his needs.
So far, funds have been used
to buy a more suitable home for
his poverty-stricken family and
make monthly payments for his
medical and welfare costs. It has
been estimated the remaining
money will last another five or six
years. — AAP
PICTURE: Getty Images
Thai surrogate mother
Pattaramon Chanbua with
baby Gammy at the Samitivej
Hospital on August 6 last year.
Magazine shows ‘new por trait’ of Shakespeare
A British magazine has published
an image of a figure that it says is the
first and only known demonstrably
authentic portrait of William
Shakespeare made in his lifetime.
The picture, of a young, bearded man
wearing a Roman-style laurel crown
and holding an ear of sweetcorn, was
identified by botanist and historian
Mark Griffiths and was published in
Country Life overnight.
Until now, the only accepted
authentic likenesses of Shakespeare, in
which he is depicted as bald, have been
found in the First Folio of his works
and his monument at Holy Trinity
Church, Stratford-upon-Avon, both
Speaking on the magazine website,
Griffiths said the discovery had
come when he began researching
the biography of pioneering botanist
John Gerard (1545-1612), author of
The Herball or Generall Historie of
Plantes, published in 1598.
“I began to look at the title page
engravings . . . and realised it was full
of allusions to people who had been
involved in the creation of the book
and that four of the figures on the
title page were in fact real persons,”
Three were Gerard himself, Flemish
botanist Rembert Dodoens and
Queen Elizabeth’s Lord Treasurer,
Lord Burghley, Griffiths said. The
plants and motifs surrounding them
in the engraving appeared to be
elaborate Tudor references to the men
“Then there was a fourth figure who
was dressed as a Roman and appeared
to have something to do with poetry,”
Griffiths also discovered a cipher
underneath the cover image containing
c lues about the fourth man.
“As I worked hard on this fourth
figure, I realised it had to be William
Shakespeare,” he said.
Griffiths believes that in the
engraving the Shakespeare figure is 33
and at the height of his celebrity —
after writing A Midsummer Night’s
Dream and shortly before Hamlet.
He believes Shakespeare was given his
literary start by Burghley and that he
became almost a propagandist for him.
Previous claims of discoveries of
portraits of Shakespeare created
during his lifetime have been generally
disbelieved by scholars.
But Country Life editor Mark
Hedges was in no doubt. He said in
a statement: “ We have a new portrait
of Shakespeare, the first ever that is
identified as him by the artist and
made in his lifetime. ” — Reuters
An image of playwright William Shakespeare from a first edition of The
Herball, a 16th centur y book on plants.
Australian man claims he
was forced to join IS
An Australian man who wants to
return home after fighting with IS says
he went to Syria as a nurse and was
forced to join the terror group.
Father of five Adam Brookman has
told Fairfax Media he never committed
an act of violence in Syria and wants to
come back to his family in Melbourne.
“I never went there to fight, I went
there as a nurse,” he said from Turkey,
according to a report published today.
“ What I saw was Syria being ignored
by the international community, I
thought I could help. ”
Brookman said he was forced to join
IS after being treated at an IS-controlled
hospital for injuries sustained in the
bombing of a Syrian clinic.
“After I recovered, they wouldn’t let me
leave,” he said.
At least three Australians are thought
be in negotiations with the federal
government about returning home from
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has flatly
rejected the possibility of Australians
returning after fighting with IS, saying
those who have travelled to conflict
zones will be arrested, prosecuted and
jailed upon their return.
Australian Federal Police this week
confirmed they were aware of a small
number of Australians who had made
approaches to return from conflict zones
in Syria and Iraqi. — AAP
Australian drivers hoping to make an
extra buck on ride-sharing ser vices such
as Uber will have to get themselves an
ABN and register for GST.
The Australian Tax Office has classified
the ser vices as taxi travel and will force all
drivers to register for GST by August 1.
Drivers so far have not been slugged
the 10% charge, meaning fairs could rise
if Uber passes that cost on to passengers.
Aust Uber drivers slugged with GST
Prince to visit Mountbatten murder scene
Links Archive May 19th 2015 May 21st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page