Home' Greymouth Star : May 21st 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 7
By Lee Scanlon
of the Westport News
Global environmental solutions giant
Veolia will discuss at a meeting in
Melbourne tomorrow the possibility of
an eco-industrial park in Westport.
The company is considering a proposal
from a former Buller District councillor,
John Hill, to transform the Holcim
cement works site into an eco-park after
Holcim leaves next year.
The plant would covert refuse into fuel
for electricity generation and into value-
added chemicals, biogas and building
Veolia sent its New Zealand business
development manager Keith Martin to
Westport last month to check out the
Mr Hill, a qualified industrial chemist,
said he hoped to know early next week
whether Veolia planned to do further
investigations. He was confident the
company would proceed.
His plan includes railing rubbish from
Canterbury to Westport in empty coal
Asked why Veolia would do so, when
it could establish a plant nearer to a city
rubbish resource, he said the Holcim site
“ Veolia have looked at other areas to do
this, including Wellington and various
parts of the North Island. The attraction
for them is that the Holcim site is
already partially consented for discharge
to air and discharge to land. Basically the
permits would be easier to get.”
There were few suitable large sites, like
Holcim’s 30ha one, available elsewhere
in New Zealand, Mr Hill said.
“ Westport has a very specific set of
drivers which is encouraging Veolia —
the port, the rail, the site — all of those
things come together to make Westport
a very attractive site for Veolia.”
The kilns on the Holcim site would not
be the only plant Veolia could use. “Even
just the general administration buildings
— they felt they could be utilised.”
Mr Hill said he was still doing his own
research into the proposal and it would
not be the end of the world if Veolia said
“no”, but he was confident it would say
His research indicates that refuse-
derived fuel burned in Holcim’s kilns
could produce enough electricity to
supply all of Buller at a lower cost than
now, or be shipped from Westport and
Burning the waste would produce
fly ash, which could be used in brick
and building aggregate. The organic
part of the waste could be converted to
methane gas or acetic acid. Glass could
be processed into rounded glass collet
for landscaping and other uses.
Worldwide, Veolia operates more than
700 waste treatment plants, manages
2000 industrial energy facilities and
provides waste collection ser vices for
over 50 million people.
Motorbike riders gather outside the Greymouth RSA after the Ride of Respect event on Sunday. Riders from Greymouth joined those across New
Zealand to ride in recognition of military veterans, with all funds raised going towards the Greymouth RSA.
Ride of Respect raises funds for RSA
Greenstone Tv, which is making an
exciting three-part series telling New
Zealand’s history primarily through
colour home film footage, is asking the
West Coast public for their footage.
‘Decades In Colour’ will travel through
three decades of change — the 1950s,
1960s and 1970s — revealing the big
moments and the reality of life for
Using home colour footage, archived
film footage and inter views with people
involved in key events and everyday
activities, the series will capture what
life was really like during those nostalgic
years from the inside out.
The production team is trying to find
colour footage of both important and
domestic events throughout the country.
It could be rural or urban, feature music,
politics, or cultural events.
It could include the Lions tour, The
Beatles arriving, anti-war protests, the
Inangahua earthquake, the Strongman
mine, floods, sons and fathers going off
They also want stories of everyday life
the beach, picnics, A and P shows,
skateboarding, parties, bands, fashion,
protests, anything that evokes the times
or has a great story behind it.
People can contact decades@
As the traditional June 1 dairying
changeover looms West Coast
contract and sharemilkers have been
reminded that it is vital to update
their animal details.
Ospri, the umbrella group for
Tb Free and the National Animal
Identification and Tracing (Nait)
scheme, says those moving herds
around ‘Gypsy day ’ need to record
all movements and update their Nait
and Tb Free details with Ospri.
“Don’t put your livelihood at risk
when moving or selling stock over
the Gypsy Day period,” Ospri group
manager Dr Stu Hutchings said.
“This will help protect New
Zealand’s reputation as a producer of
high quality, safe food and maintain
access to valuable international
markets,” he said.
Keeping Nait data up-to-date now
would allow farmers to get back to
business sooner in the event of a
bio security incursion or food safety
The Nait system was already being
used to contain existing animal
diseases like bovine tuberculosis (Tb)
with data used to trace movements
of potentially infected stock, both on
and off farm.
“By keeping their Nait and Tb free
details up to date farmers can have
peace of mind that livestock — not
animal disease — will be the only
thing they move around the country
on Gypsy day.”
Dr Hutchings said it was vital
animal and farm owners kept their
contact and location details up-to-
date so Ospri could keep tabs on
herds due for a Tb test, and contain
“ Updating your details is quick and
easy and a pivotal part of keeping Tb
To protect their business, herd
owners need to follow five simple
steps when moving or selling stock
this Gypsy Day.
Herd owners need to update
details with Ospri’s Nait and Tb free
programmes and check the Tb status
and testing requirements of the area
into which they were moving, Dr
An animal status declaration (ASD)
form needed to be completed when
shifting stock and animals should not
be accepted on to the farm without
being accompanied by the correctly
filled out ASD.
“If you are in a movement control
area, all animals must have a pre-
movement Tb test within 60 days of
being shifted off farm.”
All animal movements including
those on to and off the farm needed
to be recorded in the NAIT system.
Dairying’s Gypsy Day paperwork reminder
Council buys flood-risk Franz Josef motel
of the Hokitika Guardian
The West Coast Regional Council
has purchased a Franz Josef Glacier
motel situated on the banks of the
flood prone Waiho River.
The purchase follows months
of negotiations with the Glacier
Gateway Motel owners who were
seeking assistance to move away from
the precarious river, following in the
footsteps of other businesses several
Regional council planning and
environment manager Mike Meehan,
confirmed yesterday the council had
negotiated the purchase of the south
The purchase of the land was made
possible with contributions from
the New Zealand Transport Agency
(NZTA), central government funds
and a contribution from the Franz
Josef Glacier rating district.
Mr Meehan could not be reached
for further comment on a breakdown
of the funding.
“This motel site is currently at high
risk of inundation from the Waiho
River in a one in 10-year flood event.
Removing the motel from this site
addresses a significant risk of loss
of life that could result from a flood
event in the Waiho River itself, or a
landslide dam event in the Callery
River catchment upstream.”
The Glacier Gateway Motel would
cease trading on June 30 and the
premises were to be vacated by the
end of July.
“As part of the purchase the current
owners will be selling the chattels,
potentially through an auction
process on site.”
Owners John and Victoria Arbuckle
could not be reached.
However, the Westland District
Council last year granted the owners
consent to shift their premises to a
subdivision at the northern end of
the township, in Cron Street.
The 25-unit motel complex is the
last business left on the riverbank —
others, including a motorcamp, moved
about 10 years ago with the assistance
of a government relocation package.
Mr Meehan said the regional council
together with the Westland District
Council were investigating options for
the removal of remaining buildings.
The district plan prevented any
building on the site in the future.
“The land will then be set aside
for road and river management
The council also planned to discuss
the long term management of the
Waiho River with NZTA, Westland
council, Department of Conser vation
and the Franz Josef community.
“This collaborative process will be
part of an all-hazard approach for
Franz Josef, so the community has
some guidance on where development
should occur. It will look at the best
long term management of the river
and look at potential cost sharing
arrangements for future river
People of Buller between the ages of
18 and 26 have been offered a chance
to reach their full potential with
the opening of scholarships for the
adventurous O utward Bound course.
Those who are granted the
scholarship will have to pay a fee of
only $500 thanks to some generous
donors who are paying the remaining
Mayor Garry Howard said taking
an Outward Bound course was a great
“ We’re really lucky to be able to
offer the young people of Buller these
scholarships. I really encourage our
community to take up the challenge and
The scholarships are available for the
21-day classic courses that take place in
August, September and October.
Applications can be obtained on the
Buller District Council website or
collected in council offices in Westport
or Reefton, and are due on June 19.
Outward Bound scholarships
offer for Buller residents
Holcim site labelled unique
Kim Dotcom has challenged
John Banks to a sit-down on-the-
record inter view to determine who
is telling the truth in the row over
filing a false electoral return.
In an open letter to the former
Mr Dotcom warned he would
not hesitate to file defamation
proceedings if Mr Banks does not
retract his statements calling him a
The letter — tweeted by the
internet tycoon last night — is the
latest in a long-running saga over
the filing of false electoral returns
in Mr Banks’s run for Auckland
mayor in 2010, which saw Dotcom
sign two $25,000 cheques to
support his campaign.
Mr Banks was earlier this week
acquitted of knowingly filing a
false electoral return, after being
convicted in the High Court last
year for not disclosing the two
In an emotional press conference
after it was announced he would
not have to stand trial for a second
time, Mr Banks said he had
been to “hell and back” over the
He hit out at Mr Dotcom and
his estranged wife Mona who
testified against him, saying: “ The
witnesses told bare-faced lies,
innuendo and half-truths in the
knowledge they came to court to
However, in his open letter, Mr
Dotcom is adamant he “never lied
about our meeting at the mansion
where you asked for a donation and
“ Irrespective of your claim about
not asking me to do this, I am sure
that most people will wonder how
anyone would come to write two
cheques without a request to do so,
when one would be enough.”
He warned Mr Banks that if he
continued to claim Mr Dotcom
had lied, “my only recourse would
be defamation proceedings”.
Instead, Mr Dotcom suggested
they “allow the public . . . to make
a judgment call right now about
your credibility and mine”, and
challenged Mr Banks to an on-the-
record inter view.
He suggested they give an
independent inter viewer all the
relevant evidence, followed up with
both of them being inter viewed,
either live or recorded, and that
other journalists could also be
He ended by saying that if Mr
Banks does not want to take up this
offer that he may want to retract his
statements. If so, Mr Dotcom said
he would “accept that, and we can
“ If you decline the offer to go on
the record, but persist in making
such statements, the public will
have all they need to know who is
speaking the truth,” Mr Dotcom
This morning, Mr Banks said he
had not seen the letter from Mr
Dotcom, but said he would not be
responding to the challenge to front
up in an open inter view.
“All I would say is the three
distinguished judges from the
Court of Appeal have had the last
say,” he said.
“ Dotcom clearly hasn’t learned
the old adage: ‘If you’re explaining,
Mr Banks said he would not
retract his comments about Mr
Dotcom despite the threat of
“ He’s always trying to intimidate
people and I’m not worried.”
The parliamentary career of the
former Act leader ended after
he was convicted in the High
Court last year for not disclosing
two $25,000 donations from the
internet mogul Kim Dotcom to his
Auckland mayoralty campaign in
The Court of Appeal then
quashed the conviction after
the detective work of hie wife
Amanda Banks, who was stung
by the trial judge’s opinion of
her credibility when he preferred
Mona Dotcom’s evidence about
a lunch, which was crucial to the
Mrs Banks tracked down two
witnesses from America who
corroborated her version of events
and whose evidence the three
appellate justices said was “ likely to
have changed the outcome of the
trial”, if accepted.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Dotcom throws down
gauntlet to Banks
15-year sentence for partner’s murder
A Northland man who murdered the
mother of his two children by drowning
her in a stream will spend at least 15
years in jail.
Jimmy Peter Akuhata, 32, previously
pleaded guilty to murdering 21-year-old
Ashlee Louise Anne Edwards, on July
27, 2012, and appeared for sentencing in
the High Court at Whangarei yesterday.
Justice Rebecca Ellis sentenced
Akuhata to a term of life imprisonment
with a non-parole period of 15 years.
Karen Edwards, Ashlee’s mother, was
relieved with the sentence and said they
could now rebuild their shattered lives.
She urged people to learn about
domestic violence and get help for those
who needed it.
“ I can’t stress enough the damage
that domestic violence causes with the
insidious cycles of harmful destruction.
Make a stand. Don’t tolerate abuse,
bullying or violence,” she said.
“The psychological impact with mental
and emotional abuse leaves far deeper
scars. This can stem to physical abuse
and it can kill. It can happen to anyone.”
It was revealed in court Akuhata
had four previous convictions for male
assaults female, three of which involved
Justice Ellis spoke to Akuhata and said
Ashlee had made a terrible choice when
she decided to be with him.
“S he got stuck in a terrible cycle so
many abused women find themselves
in,” Justice Ellis said.
“In reality you killed her for no reason
Akuhata and Ms Edwards had been in
an “on again, off again” relationship for
about six and a half years.
But when Akuhata murdered Ms
Edwards, they were apart and there
was a protection order in place for Ms
Edwards and her two daughters.
On the night of July 26-27, 2012,
Akuhata had two tickets for a promotional
event at Malbas bar in Vine Street,
Whangarei, and invited Ms Edwards
along. She agreed to go with him.
During the night, Akuhata became
angry with Ms Edwards and text
messages she had received on her
cellphone. CCTV footage showed
Akuhata and Ms Edwards leaving the
bar about 1.55am and then 15 minutes
later at the Lower Tarewa Road bridge.
They were arguing when Akuhata lifted
Ms Edwards up and over the railing into
Once in the stream there was a struggle
until Akuhata grabbed Ms Edwards’s
hair and held her head under the water.
Once she showed no signs of life, he
went home where he told a family
member Ms Edwards was dead.
Lawyer Catherine Cull said Akuhata
wanted to express his remorse and the
guilty plea was an acceptance of his
actions. — N ZM E-Northern Advocate
New panel to look at Watson case
Convicted double-murderer Scott
Watson has been seen in public for
the first time in 17 years, seeking the
opportunity to discuss his case with an
Watson appeared in court yesterday to
seek a judicial review of a decision by the
chief executive of Corrections to refuse
him a meeting with North and South
reporter Mike White.
Watson is serving 17 years for the
murder of Ben Smart and Olivia
Hope. He has always maintained his
After a full day hearing, Justice Rachel
Dunningham reser ved her decision as
to whether Watson could meet with the
Corrections lawyer Paul Rishworth
told the court the chief executive made
his decision in line with the law, and
balanced many different factors.
Under correction rules, the chief
executive must give permission for
inter views to be conducted.
Watson’s lawyer Kerry Cook said
Watson had gained hope from the high-
profile cases of David Bain and Teina
Pora, and he hoped the public would
also lend their support to his claims of a
miscarriage of justice.
“ Mr Watson says he’s the victim of a
miscarriage of justice, and that is what
he wishes to be inter viewed about,” he
Mr Cook claimed any impact on
victims would be overruled by a possible
miscarriage of justice.
Watson, who has not been seen
publicly for many years, sat quietly next
to his lawyer dressed in a shirt and tie,
and spoke only briefly to determine
where to sit.
His father, Chris Watson, said getting
his son’s story into the media would help
a campaign to see a Criminal Cases
Review Commission set up to look at
miscarriages of justice.
“ We certainly can’t get any headway
because the case has turned so political,”
he told Radio New Zealand.
Watson will soon have his case
examined by a group set up to investigate
possible miscarriages of justice.
The New Zealand Public Interest
Project (NZPIP) is set to launch on July
13. It is part of an initiative between the
University of Canterbury and a panel of
experts, including Watson’s lawyer Mr
University of Canterbury dean of law
Chris Gallavin confirmed the Watson
case would be looked at by NZPIP.
He said that he believed there had
been a miscarriage of justice in the
Watson case and the majority of New
Zealanders would probably agree.
“Nobody should underestimate the
uphill battle that ’s ahead for Watson
and his team and NZPIP,” Dr Gallavin
“It ’s one of those cases where there are
serious problems with the investigative
techniques that were applied.”
The theory of the case had real
problems with witnesses recanting
statements and the contamination of
evidence, he said, citing Tess Hunt ’s
book Trial By Trickery.
“It ’s always been a little far-fetched,
notwithstanding they got a conviction,
but it was always based on pretty slender
However, with no new evidence to
present, proving a miscarriage of justice
would be difficult, he said.
The voluntary board of NZPIP consists
of Dr Gallivan and Mr Cook, along with
University of Canterbury sociologist
Jarrod Gilbert, private investigator
Tim McKinnel, lawyer Nigel Hampton
QBE, QC, forensic scientist Dr Anna
Sandiford, private investigator Glynn
Rigby and legal expert Dr Duncan
Webb. — NZ ME
Links Archive May 20th 2015 May 22nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page