Home' Greymouth Star : May 29th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, May 29, 2015 - 9
A Dunedin man who has a collection of
rusting cars in his yard risks losing his house if
he does not get rid of them.
Mornington resident Kevin Osborne’s
collection of about 17 vehicles has raised
the ire of his neighbours and the Dunedin
City Council, and the matter was aired in the
Environment Court in D unedin yesterday.
While neighbours think the cars are an eyesore,
Mr Osborne said he was being “harassed” by the
council, and his neighbours should “keep their
noses in their own backyards”.
No decision was handed down yesterday, but
Judge Jon Jackson gave a clear indication of
what it might be.
Before Judge Jackson and commissioners
Owen Borlase and John Mills, DCC lawyer
Jackie St John said neighbours had been
complaining for six years about the vehicles on
Mr Osborne’s property.
The council had discussed the matter with
him, but there had been no progress.
It was now applying for an enforcement order
to remove the vehicles and parts.
Ms St John said while Mr Osborne claimed
the number of cars on the property was
decreasing, evidence showed the opposite.
Mr Osborne, 64, intended to restore the
vehicles and sell them for a profit to fund
restoration of his home, which Ms St John said
was in “a state of disrepair”.
The council was seeking an order for the
vehicles to be removed within 30 days and, if that
did not happen, the ability to remove them itself.
Mr Osborne told the court restoration of
vehicles was allowed under the council’s district
plan, and his work on them was “a hobby, not a
He had decreased the number of vehicles he
owned, although more had come from another
property he owned.
Judge Jackson told him he had run out of time,
after testing the patience of both his neighbours
and the council.
“I’m afraid you’re really facing it now.”
Judge Jackson reser ved his decision, but said if
he understood the thoughts of his commissioners
correctly, the result would be along the lines of
what the council was asking for.
If Mr Osborne did not comply, the council
could remove the cars, then claim costs against
the home, and “things will get very much out of
Speaking from his home yesterday, Mr
Osborne, who said he had been a car enthusiast
all his life, reiterated it was his plan to restore
the cars to pay for repairs on his home.
“The only way I can raise the money to do it
up is with those cars.
“There is thousands of dollars tied in them and
I can’t afford to lose them.”
Asked how many cars he had, he said: “Not
He said not all his neighbours were against
what he was doing and had a simple message
for those who were complaining.
“They should keep their noses in their own
Neighbour Kereen Power, who went to the
court proceedings, said the cars were a safety and
environmental hazard and there were concerns
they were attracting vermin, including rats.
Neighbours were also worried about their
“If you go to sell and you are looking directly
at that, not everyone wants to look at that.”
— Otago Daily Times
Time running out
for rusty cars
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
A collection of about 17 rusting cars in a Mornington, D unedin, back yard has raised the ire
A man accused of stabbing a woman to
death and attempting to kill a man in central
Auckland last week can now be named.
Mandeep Singh appeared in the Auckland
District Court on Saturday and Monday and
name suppression was extended twice to allow
him the chance to inform his family of the charges.
Parmita Rani, 22, died following the incident
at AWI International Education Group building
on Q ueen Street on Friday, where it is understood
the Manurewa woman had just sat an exam.
A 22-year-old man was also allegedly stabbed
in the neck and was taken to Auckland Hospital
with serious injuries.
Singh, charged with murder and attempted
murder, will appear in the High Court at
Auckland next month.
Witnesses who spoke shortly after the incident
spoke of hearing screaming and seeing people
covered in blood.
One said Ms Rani had just sat a level seven
IT exam when the alleged offender met her at
The young woman had arrived in New
Zealand from India only last year. It is believed
her father died when she was a child and her
mother passed away this year.
Another friend said her India-based brother
was her only sur viving relative. — NZ ME
One of the new tricycles being used by New Zealand Post.
Three-wheeled vehicles designed to drive on
the footpath are part of a New Zealand Post
initiative being rolled out across the country
to keep up with its “growing” parcel business.
New Plymouth will be the first city to test
the new eco-friendly vehicles, which were
designed to deliver both parcels and mail
simultaneously to residential addresses and
As on-line shopping orders continued
to boost parcel numbers, the pilot run in
New Plymouth would be a test for the new
combined system, NZ Post said.
NZ Post delivery officer Ashley Smout
said the new system should help “avoid the
disappointment of a missed delivery”.
“Customers are buying goods on-line in
numbers we’ve never seen before and our
parcels business is growing.
“ We want to give customers more choice
about where and when they get their
From the start of June, new delivery vehicles
would be out on the street in New Plymouth,
and by early July, delivery of letters and
parcels to residential addresses would be
“The new technology we’re developing will
help avoid the disappointment of a missed
delivery, as customers will be able to tell us in
advance what they want us to do with their
parcels,” Ms Smout said.
“ Previous trials have shown the eco-vehicles
are safe to use on the footpath. O ur drivers
receive safety training, and they will give way
to all other footpath users.”
Staff driving the eco-vehicles will have a
specially designed uniform consisting of a
black long-sleeved padded polo shirt and
padded track pants with a combined NZ Post
and Courier Post emblem. — NZ ME
On your trike, postie . . .
Murder accused named
A Mongrel Mob gang member who
ran down and killed a police officer in a
stolen car has been denied parole.
Sergeant Derek Wootton was laying
road spikes in Titahi Bay, Wellington, in
2008 when 33-year-old Andrew Popo
ran him down.
He pleaded guilty to manslaughter of
the 53-year-old officer after a murder
charge was dropped and was sentenced
to eight years and nine months’ jail, with
a non-parole period of five years.
A decision from the Parole Board
yesterday said Popo had declined to
participate in the preparation of the
parole assessment report for a parole
hearing earlier this month.
However, the report said he had
successfully completed a drug treatment
programme in February, despite finding
it “difficult and challenging”.
Popo was now on the waiting list
for a medium intensity rehabilitation
programme, which was “clearly an
appropriate next rehabilitative step for
Mr Popo to take”, the decision said.
Popo told the board he was not actively
seeking parole and did not supply an
address where he might live if granted
However, he would prepare a release
proposal including a proposed address
before his next Parole Board appearance.
Given the seriousness of his offending
progression through his sentence”,
the board said Popo would require an
extended reintegration period .
The board said there were no guarantees
Popo would be released on parole before
his sentence end date on April 12, 2017.
In 2001, Popo was charged with
manslaughter after the shooting of
16-year-old Black Power prospect
Wallace Whatuira on Waitangi Day.
He walked free when a key witness
refused to testify, despite having given
evidence against the three Mongrel Mob
men during depositions. — N Z ME
Jailed rapist ’s wife puts
case for name suppression
The wife of a Rotorua businessman
jailed for historical sex charges says she
“stands to lose everything” if the man’s
name suppression is lifted.
The 60-year-old man was refused
permanent name suppression in March
when he was jailed for 11 years on 21
charges — including rape — against two
Through lawyer Paul Mabey, QC,
the man’s wife argued against the
suppression order being lifted but Judge
Phillip Cooper refused her application
and Mr Mabey immediately lodged an
appeal. The appeal was heard by Justice
Ailsa Duffy in the High Court at
Mr Mabey used three affidavits,
from the man, the man’s wife and a
business associate, to argue the need for
permanent name suppression.
Mr Mabey said the wife believed if
her husband’s name was made public, it
would cause “extreme undue hardship”
on her and the businesses he was
previously associated with.
In her affidavit she said publication of
his name would have a “severe impact on
the public perception of the business”.
As a result she said she “stood to lose
Rotorua Crown solicitor Amanda
Gordon said the fact the man had
already been removed from the business
needed to be considered.
“(The man) has been in custody since
November 2014 so if there was going to
be an impact on the business due to the
taint said to be attached to (him), surely
it would have already started to show
since his removal.”
Ms Gordon said as the names of
the wife and related businesses had
been permanently suppressed, it was
“ unlikely many people outside Rotorua
would make a connection between the
businesses and (the man)”.
Both victims are in support of the
man’s suppression being lifted with one
requesting her own automatic name
suppression also be waived.
Justice D uffy reser ved her decision.
— NZ ME-Rotorua Daily Post
Bringing you all the local
news and sports.
To keep informed on
local news and issues
Phone Karen on
03 769 7900
Reporters West Coast wide:
Westport, Reefton, Grey Valley,
Greymouth, Hokitika, Ross,
Whataroa, Franz Josef Glacier
Links Archive May 28th 2015 May 30th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page