Home' Greymouth Star : June 30th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
of the Hokitika Guardian
A 25-unit motel complex on the
south bank of the Waiho (Waiau)
River — considered the most dynamic
on the West Coast — will be closed
permanently from today.
The business, formerly owned by
Arbuckle’s retail store founders John
and Victoria Arbuckle, was purchased
last month by the West Coast Regional
Council for $735,000 as a safety
precaution from the flood prone river.
The Westland District Council
contributed $300,000 in relocation
funds held from the Government, the
New Zealand Transport Agency gave
$335,000 and the regional council-
administered Franz Josef rating district
chipped in $100,000.
The motels are earmarked to be
demolished, and the land be set
aside for road and river management
Mr Arbuckle said yesterday they had
not taken guests since last Friday. The
‘no vac ancy ’ signs would be put up
The couple, who have now purchased
motels in Wanaka, have been given
salvage rights on the complex and an
auction is planned for July 24.
Whatever remained on site after that
date would become the property of the
regional council, Mr Arbuckle said.
Both the regional council and district
council are investigating options for the
removal of remaining buildings once
the motel site has been vacated.
The council has $2000 left of the
relocation money, which was part of
a $766,000 package set up in 2003 to
help other south bank properties shift.
Costs will also be shared on the
long-term management of the Waiho
River, in consultation with NZTA,
Department of Conser vation and the
community as part of an ‘all-hazard’
approach planned for Franz Josef
The Arbuckles had been granted
resource consent for a motel operation
in Cron Street, north of the village,
but Mr Arbuckle said it was not viable.
Another section they owned, behind
the Franz Josef Medical Centre, was
now on the market.
2 - Tuesday, June 30, 2015
phone call warning
Police have warned people to
be wary of unsolicited phone
callers seeking banking and credit
card details, after an incident in
Westport. A resident reported to
police yesterday that they had been
contacted by someone representing
an organisation called ‘Green Life’
purporting to be doing a sur vey
on the Buller Medical Centre. In
the course of the conversation the
resident was asked for credit/debit
card and eftpos details. Police said
Green Life had nothing to do with
the medical centre and the calls were
Gunter death remains
The death of Greymouth teenager
Matthew Gunter at Grey Base
Hospital remains before the police.
“ We are currently considering
the report of the Health and
Disability Commissioner and will
then be in a position to seek a
final legal opinion,” Tasman police
spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said
yesterday. Matthew died after having
his appendix removed.
Children unable to get
vaccinations during B4
Children receiving their B4
school check, a year before starting
school, are no longer able to get
their vaccinations at the same time.
West Coast District Health Board
member Susan Wallace flagged at
the board meeting on Friday that
the immunisation nurse no longer
attended the checks, when there was
“that captive audience”.
Road safety leaflets for
Associate Transport Minister
Craig Foss yesterday announced
a new initiative to provide road
safety messages to every visitor
from China — a leaflet. Chinese
drive on the right-hand side of the
road. “Record numbers of Chinese
tourists are travelling to New
Zealand — 310,000 last year alone.
Many are opting to self-drive and
it’s important we help them do so
safely,” Mr Foss said. The ‘Driving
Safely in New Zealand’ leaflet is a
joint initiative by the Ministry of
Transport, New Zealand Transport
Agency, New Zealand Police,
Tourism New Zealand, the Ministry
of Business, Innovation and
Employment, Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and Trade and the Chinese
Embassy. It will be distributed with
every approved visa.
Flooded rest home criticised
An Auckland lawyer who misused
$600,000 from a law firm has been
struck off the roll of barristers and
Kenneth Yee misused client funds to
the law firm by diverting more than
$95,706 of fees to companies he was
associated with. He also took $505,155
of fees from the firm’s trust account
in unauthorised loans to one of his
The New Zealand Lawyers’ and
Conveyancers’ Disciplinary Tribunal
found that while Mr Yee fully repaid the
loans, he has not repaid the $95,706 of
fees to his former firm.
The tribunal described Mr Yee’s actions
as disgraceful and dishonourable in the
eyes of lawyers, and a wilful or reckless
contravention of the trust accounting
New Zealand Law Society national
prosecutions manager Mark Treleaven
said the misuse of client funds held by
lawyers would always be unacceptable.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic is stepping up
to help those left out of work from the
West Coast mining sector.
The polytechnic said it was working
with Solid Energy to help displaced
mine staff, especially those affected by
cutbacks at Stockton.
Last year alone, more than 100
workers were made redundant from the
The polytechnic said it was looking
to offer courses that aimed to open
up potential career pathways for those
who were made redundant.
Four 10-day courses were offered
ser vice road transport, agricultural
vehicles, and skills and computing
It said all lead on to a national
The engineering skills course is
aimed at helping people find a job in
mechanical engineering and related
trades area, and entails welding, the
assembly of mechanical components
and forklift operation.
Goods ser vices is aimed at those
looking for jobs as truck drivers, to help
them get their class 4 licence, managing
logbooks and fatigue, and checking
Budding dairy farmers can learn
how to safely operate quad bikes, farm
vehicles and handle dairy cattle as part
of the agricultural training.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic has previously
looked at ways it could help to upskill
workers in the West Coast dairy sector,
amid a recent slump in world dairy
of the Hokitika Guardian
Claims that Allen Bryant Lifecare staff
members have been left out of work since
flooding closed the Hokitika rest home a
fortnight ago are not true, the owner says.
Hokitika woman Robyne Bryant, whose
mother Maida is one of the 45 elderly
residents now in care elsewhere around
the West Coast said the upheaval faced by
residents exposed flaws in the system.
Ironically, the rest home is named after
Mrs Bryant ’s late husband, Hokitika GP
Dr Allen Bryant.
With 45 less aged-care beds now on the
West Coast, Robyne Bryant, in an inter view
with Radio New Zealand yesterday, also
highlighted the need for future provision
of aged care beds, and raised employment
concerns for non-patient contact staff.
Ultimate Care group say there have been no
The Bealey Street rest home will remain
closed for about the next six months.
Ms Bryant questioned the rest home
provider’s contingency planning.
Early on, families had been told those
most vulnerable and requiring hospital
beds, including Mrs Bryant, could be moved
off the West Coast. Options included
Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland.
“I just broke down in tears. I just had
this awful fear of my mum dying among
strangers and being away from where she
has lived for most of her life,” Ms Bryant
told Radio NZ.
However, last Thursday the DHB
confirmed the Grey Base Hospital’s re-
configured Hannan Ward would look after
some residents until the Hokitika facility
Residents have also been housed with
family members, and at rest homes in
Reefton and Greymouth.
West Coast District Health Board
director of nursing and midwifery Karyn
Bousfield said the flooding event was “one
in a million”.
However, contingencies had been put in
She praised Hokitika emergency teams
for the immediate response but said
circumstances had continued to evolve.
“Capacity is actually a business as
usual situation and we need to go back
to remembering there are extenuating
circumstances. This is a flood that we
have had to manage in an emergency
situation much like ... the earthquakes in
The highest level needs patients would
remain at Grey Hospital in the ward
which had been used for day recovery of
chemotherapy patients, creating four extra
Hokitika staff had also been deployed to
continue to provide continuity of care to
wherever the residents had gone.
Ms Bryant, a former DHB member, said
that at the family meeting in Hokitika
last week, people had expressed concern at
the interim employment of staff, who had
looked after some of the residents for many
“ We were reassured that yes, for everyone
employed there will be work for them. And
then I’m around there the next day and four
people had been told ‘that ’s it, you’ve got five
minutes to get your gear and be out of here,
and we don’t know when there is going to be
more work for you and we don’t know about
your pay’, and they’re in tears.
“The (Ultimate) Care executives are
hopping in their car and heading back to
Ultimate Care Group chief executive
Liza Cox-Hancy said yesterday the
opinions expressed on Radio NZ were “not
representing an accurate state of play”.
“ I can confirm that no staff at our Allen
Bryant facility have lost employment.
We are communicating with our staff
directly in this regard. There are open
lines of communication with our staff and
management team to ensure everyone is
able to get answers to any questions that
they have,” Ms Cox-Hancy said.
“O ur priority is our people. We are
continuing to work in collaboration with
the West Coast DHB and Ministry of
Health to ensure our residents’ needs are
being met, and that families have access to
the information they require.
“O ur staff are also our top priority and
again we are ensuring every one of our staff
are kept informed.”
The Guardian last week witnessed a van
waiting for staff to leave to care for those
now being housed in Greymouth rest
Tuesday June 30
Urgent Cases Only
Phone 768 5942 first
In appreciation of your
kindness and support in
Alan's passing and the
service. Special thanks
to Jack Flood, David
and Janette, Greymouth
Operatic Society, Grey-
mouth Municipal Band
and Union Hotel, and
special thanks to family
We come into this world
And we take nothing
with us when we depart.
The only important thing
we leave is our contribu-
tion to others.
with great sadness we
announce the passing
of our loved family
member on June 29,
2015, aged 71. Dearly
loved wife of the late
Jack, cherished mum
and mother-in-law of
Alan and Julie, Rob and
Leanne, Dale and Ross
Pamment, Lynne and
Cormac Peirse, and
adored nana of Kirsty,
Christopher, Jad and
Elyse, Joshua, Alisha
and Timm, Connor,
Caitlin, and Carson,
great-nana of Emma,
Calib, and Vaydim,
loved sister and sister-
in-law of Marion and the
(deceased) and Monica,
Shirley and the late
special friend of Adam
and Tessa, and Jon.
Messages to C/- PO Box
417, Greymouth 7840.
A service to celebrate
Dorothy's life will be
held in the William
Chapel, 134 Tainui
Street, Greymouth on
followed by burial with
her husband Jack at the
Karoro Cemetery. West-
land Funeral Services
Ltd. FDANZ. Phone
(03) 768 0250.
In our hearts a memory
For a friend we respect
and will never forget.
Lee Ogg and family.
Cecelia. — On Tuesday
June 30 a year will have
passed without you in
our lives Mum, but not a
day goes by without you
in our thoughts.
We love you
Watson, Tony Stanton
and Donna Gilshnan,
and all your grand-
Blaketown School Year 5 pupils Aimee Lunn, left, Morgan Burling, Lily Dry and Sophie Bryant in full concentration during the
New Zealand Spelling Bee competition. The seaside school was abuzz yesterday as 65 pupils took part in the nationwide competition.
Pupils were wide-eyed as they were tested on a massive list of words they had learned ahead of the competition, deputy principal
Christine Smith said. “ The testing was done in year groups at the school. The whole school took part.”
PICTURE: Paul McBride
Blaketown School pupils join spelling bee competition
Paroa School Year 5 students Ella Sweetman, left, and Tabitha Lewis, clear rubbish from the West
Coast Cycle Trail as part of a school cleanup of the area on Thursday afternoon. All the school’s students
turned out to clear the area around their school of any rubbish they could find.
PICTURE: Ben Aulakh
Cycle trail clean-up
of the Hokitika Guardian
Recent flooding through the Hokitika
town centre continues to take its toll on
businesses, with a number still closed, a
fortnight after the storm.
Shops, predominately along Tancred
and Hamilton streets, were inundated
with floodwaters overnight on June 18.
Many remain closed — and some are far
Mara’s Divine Foods owner Ron
Omelvena said he expected repairs to
take at least six weeks.
The former Cafe de Paris premises
were awash with about a foot of
water and have now been completely
The health department has condemned
all of the appliances and cabinetry
in the commercial kitchen that had
been submerged in the contaminated
Mr Omelvena, and wife Mara, only
recently invested in fitting out their
new eatery, including new flooring,
since taking over the lease of the former
French restaurant in May.
“ We spent about $3000 on new vinyl
around the counter, so that was a bit of
a waste,” he said. “Luckily, our insurance
policy included loss of income so that
has certainly been a benefit and taken a
lot of worry away.”
He thanked all those who had
supported them in the clean-up.
“The response from locals and the help
in getting the mess cleaned up has been
phenomenal. It was quite a daunting
task and we really appreciate it.”
Meanwhile, the gift store next door,
Gift NZ, also remains closed and empty
Kodak Corner was also still shut last
week and the Heartlands Ser vice Centre
further up the street was being emptied.
The Ministry of Social Development
has diverted Work and Income
clients and staff to Greymouth until
the building can be repaired. It said
significant damage had been caused to
the flooring, walls and equipment.
Volunteers were also continuing last
week to strip damaged sections of the
Regent Theatre, where the basement
was flooded. However, the main theatre
Mountain Jade subsidiary further along
the street were also inundated.
Westland Greenstone was back open
for business, while Mountain Jade has
closed its Tancred Street outlet for
winter. The former Addisons building
in Hamilton Street, now home to the
Hokitika Indoor Market, was also
flooded and the markets have been
Away from the town centre, the Jade
Court Motels and the Hokitika Holiday
Park were flooded out. It is understood
some holiday park occupants were
evacuated in the night to unaffected
motels in the town centre.
Hokitika’s sole rest home, Allen Bryant
Lifecare, remains unoccupied and owner
Ultimate Care Group estimates it will
take six months to repair the facility, to
the tune of $1.5 million.
Chief executive Liza Cox-Hancy
said in conjunction with the insurance
assessors, the company was also
exploring every avenue to rehabilitate
the facility in a number of stages — to
allow for faster recovery of beds and
to relieve the pressure on the DHB
Recent flooding takes toll on Hokitika businesses
Franz motel complex permanently closed
Polytechnic offers courses to help ex-mine staff
Snow has forced the Department
of Conservation to postpone the
Makarora part of its ‘Battle for Our
Birds’ programme until spring.
DOC has been planning the aerial
drop of 1080 poison on 23,000ha
of the Mt Aspiring National Park
around Makarora since last year.
However, in a statement yesterday,
manager Chris Sydney said the
operation was now scheduled for
spring or early summer, with the exact
date to be confirmed near the time.
Snow was given as the reason for the
“It is not effective to use 1080 on
The Battle for Our Birds programme
was planned by DOC to target an
expected population explosion of
rodents and stoats following an
unusually high level of beech tree
seeding late last year.
Aerial poisoning of all other areas in
the programme has been completed.
Late last month, six helicopters
spread 23 tonnes of non-toxic cereal
bait on the mountains and valleys
around Makarora to prepare rodents
for a drop of cereal containing 1080
Mr Sydney said in his statement the
pre-feed would not have to be repeated
“as the effects of last month’s pre-feed
will last sufficiently until spring”.
Wanaka anti-1080 campaigner Carol
Sawyer yesterday disputed that. In the
absence of available information about
pre-feeds for rodents, Ms Sawyer
quoted guidelines from the National
Pest Control Agencies on possums
They recommended a pre-feed two
to four weeks before a toxic aerial drop
but considered a pre-feed could still be
effective for eight weeks or longer.
“Four to five months later is not
what they had in mind, I am sure,” Ms
She also noted the agencies’
guidelines stated cereal baits could
become rancid and should be stored
for “not longer than three months”.
— Otago Daily times
of the Westport News
from Queen Street to Westport’s
town centre still has not boosted
Coaltown failed to meet its
budgeted profit by $13,000 for
the 10 months to April 30, despite
receiving extra ratepayer funding
and donations and undergoing a
Coaltown had budgeted for a
profit of $10,189, but lost $2808,
according to a report to tonight’s
Buller District Council meeting.
The result would have been worse,
if not for two windfall donations.
An anonymous donation of
$10,000 and funding from the
West Coast Community Trust
boosted grants and donations to
$100,154, which was $16,442
The windfalls offset the lower
than predicted trading income of
$140,678 - $10,879 below budget.
The income reflected lower than
from the i-Site and declining
museum patronage, said the report
from council’s corporate ser vices
manager Angela Oosthuizen.
Expenditure was up $18,560 on
budget, to $243,638.
undertaken a complete review of
staffing, which had resulted in a
restructure, the report said.
The museum now has three staff
compared to seven in October last
year. Manager Chris Hartigan’s
departure last month was the most
Mrs Oosthuizen’s report said the
trust had also changed electricity
providers, which could mean
further financial savings.
The trust ’s financial position
still prohibited it from improving
the museum’s signage, the report
The council last year bailed out
Coaltown with up to an extra
$67,000 of ratepayer money —
the cost of leasing the museum’s
A funding agreement at the
time set the trust key performance
“Although reporting against the
funding agreement still requires
some work, reports have been
received for the period ended 30
April 2015,” Mrs Oosthuizen’s
“The Coaltown Trust has taken
positive steps to address levels
of expenditure and to secure
Council’s finance and audit
committee recommended council
formally release the remainder of
the museum’s conditional funding.
Council has budgeted for
the conditional funding to fall
$22,000, to $45,000, in 2015/16.
Coaltown and the i-Site also
receive an annual $111,616
The council recently turned down
a request from the trust to reduce
its financial reporting to council.
Move fails to boost Coaltown patronage
Snow forces DOC to postpone Makarora 1080 aerial drop
Links Archive June 29th 2015 July 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page