Home' Greymouth Star : September 3rd 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, September 3, 2015 - 3
Teen dies in smash
A teenage driver died after a crash
with a logging truck in rush-hour
Christchurch traffic on Tuesday.
Matthew Thomas Ngataki, a 19-year-
old from the city, was driving a
Mitsubishi when he hit a logging
truck near what police called “a gentle
bend ” on Mairehau Road shortly after
5pm. Mr Ngataki, the only one in the
car, died at the scene. — NZME
Man found dead
A man who went missing from his
Panmure home has been found dead.
Dean Phillips, 59, was last seen at
his home in Panmure on Saturday
evening. Police confirmed, after
notifying Mr Phillips’s family, his
body had been found and identified.
The body was found on Gentleman’s
Bay, St Heliers on Tuesday.
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
A man is in custody after an armed
offenders squad callout in which
Kerikeri residents were evacuated.
Police said they were called to a house
south of Kerikeri, off State highway
10, after reports of a man with a
firearm about 11am yesterday. A
53-year-old man was arrested without
incident about 3pm. No charges had
yet been laid. — NZM E
A registered early childcare
worker responsible for super vising
other childcare workers for the
Nga Rito home-based childcare
ser vice has admitted defrauding
the organisation and the Ministry
of Education. Renee Rangiraupiki
Williams, 30, pleaded guilty to nine
charges in the Gisborne District
Court yesterday. She was remanded
on bail for sentence, along with one
of two co-accused, on October 17.
A third accused is yet to plead. The
totals involved were $28,620 of Nga
Rito money and $62,000 of ministry
funds. — NZ M E-Gisborne Herald
Big buses for Auckland
Over 50 double-decker buses are
to roll out across Auckland from
October to July next year, after a rule
change. That will provide the city
with capacity to carry 5000 more bus
passengers at peak times. The change,
announced by Transport Minister
Simon Bridges yesterday afternoon at
Tauranga-based Kiwi Bus Builders,
will allow double-deckers with up to
91 seats to run on city streets.
— NZ M E -New Zealand Herald
Big Wednesday draw
There was no division one winner
in Big Wednesday draw No 515 last
night. Successful numbers were 10,
18, 23, 37, 44, 48; coin toss, tails.
Numbers in Keno draw No 11624: 2,
3, 11, 18, 26, 27, 30, 36, 38, 45, 53, 54,
55, 61, 66, 68, 70, 75, 76, 78. Draw No
11625: 1, 6, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 38, 44,
45, 55, 60, 62, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 77.
Draw No 11626: 5, 15, 23, 25, 27, 31,
32, 45, 47, 48, 51, 52, 53, 59, 60, 64, 66,
69, 73, 77. Draw No 11627: 3, 5, 6, 8,
16, 20, 25, 32, 37, 42, 45, 49, 52, 58, 59,
62, 67, 70, 73, 78.
Risky buildings to be fixed first
A body has been pulled out of the
Waikato River this morning.
Police are working on identifying
the person, Waikato police district
spokesman Andrew McAlley said.
A member of the public called
police this morning reporting a body
floating north in the Waikato River
near Comries Avenue, senior sergeant
Damion Rangitutia of the Waikato
district command centre said.
A police rescue boat was launched, and
police conducted the recovery operation
from the vicinity of Swarbrick Landing.
The walkway on the east side of the
Waikato River was closed. — NZ ME
Body in river
Ngai Tahu Tainui-owned
Bus Transport has filed liquidation
proceedings against the former owner of
long-distance bus ser vice Naked Bus.
The proceeding were filed at the High
Court at Auckland on August 12 and is
due to be heard at the same court later
Naked Bus was aquired by Mana Bus.
com in May, and the company ’s founder
Hamish Nuttall stepped down from the
business in July.
Mana Bus chief executive Sherryl
Otway was unaware of the liquidation
proceedings when contacted, but later in
a statement said the debt was not theirs
“so information will have to come from
the previous owner or liquidator”.
Go-Bus chief executive Calum Haslop
said it operated ser vices in the South
Island under contract for Naked Bus.
and Invercargill ser vices for them and we
were assured at the time of the purchase
of that business by Mana the old
company would meet all its obligations
and pay all its outstanding accounts, and
it hasn’t done so.
“ We don’t have any issue with the
current ownership — we ’re continuing
to operate those ser vices on behalf of
the new company, but the old company
simply hasn’t paid us.”
The alleged outstanding debt was
approximately $100,000, Mr Haslop
said. — NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm September 2, 2015
a2 Milk Company
ANZ Banking Gr
3149 +120 39.38
110.5 +0.5 166.1
Auckland Intl Airpt
489 +4 40.13
252 +4 141.7
510 +6 87.71
500 –3 51.93
DNZ Prop Fund
209 +1 29.23
729 +4 1020
Fonterra Share Fund
533 +4 10.23
182 +1 36.46
Goodman Prop Tr
119 +1 22.24
310 +2 9.41
Kiwi Property Gr
131 +0.5 43.50
1427 +2 7.15
226 +2 224.5
430 +1 27.89
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
275 +2 46.93
393 +3 99.58
97 +2 60.88
Orion Health Gr
115 +1 83.30
Prop For Industry
758 +8 64.58
126 +1 32.30
Sky Network TV
484 +5 395.9
327 +2 950.9
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
370 +3 20.93
Trade Me Gr
750 +5 2.00
318 +1 2.78
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
260 +5 14.00
1401 +31 22.86
580 +7 171.3
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, September 3, 2015
DECLINERS: 9 TRADED: 92
Aluminium High Grade
4.5633 3 .7818
Buildings with verandas
and other features that
busy areas will need
strengthened in half the
time, the Government has
Building and Housing
Minister Nick Smith said
the decision to make a new
category of building in new
strengthening laws came
after a strong submission
earthquake sur vivor and Lincoln
University lecturer Ann Brower.
“ We need to heed every possible lesson
from the February 22 earthquake in
Christchurch,” Dr Smith said.
“ Falling parts of unreinforced masonry
like parapets and facades killed 35
people that tragic day, including every
passenger on the Red Bus except Ann
Brower. I pay tribute to her fastidious
advocacy and professional research that
has persuaded us to change the law and
prioritise these buildings for upgrade.”
The Building (Earthquake-prone
Buildings) Amendment Bill was
reported back from select committee
It includes already-announced changes
to how quickly earthquake-prone
buildings will need to be assessed and
The Government came under pressure
to re-examine its proposed rules around
earthquake strengthening after people
who own older buildings faced huge
bills and uncertainty, and groups using
heritage buildings predicted they would
need to be abandoned or pulled down.
The 15,000 to 25,000 earthquake-
prone buildings nationwide that will
need upgrading is not expected to
change, but the country will be split
into zones according to the risk of a
big earthquake, and the timeframes for
assessment and strengthening varied
Affected buildings in
low-risk areas such as
and D unedin will now
need to be identified and
assessed within 15 years
and strengthened within a
further 35 years. Heritage
buildings can still get a 10-
year extension — meaning
some buildings may not
need strengthening for 60
The time frame will
be 10 years and 25 years
for buildings in medium
risk areas, including Hamilton and
Tauranga. High-risk zones such as
Wellington and Christchurch will keep
the existing time frame of strengthening
within 20 years.
Dr Smith said the new category of
priority buildings, announced yesterday,
would cover those with unreinforced
masonry features like a parapet or
veranda that could fall into a public
road, footpath or other thoroughfare
that has been identified by a council
as being sufficiently busy to warrant
About 2000 buildings across New
Zealand are expected to be included, and
the times for assessment and upgrade
requirements will be halved.
That means a building in Auckland
would need to be identified and assessed
within seven and a half years, and
strengthened within a further 17 and a
“ We do not want this new priority
status being applied to buildings in
areas where there are few people being
put at risk. Councils will have the task
of identifying those areas with sufficient
vehicle or pedestrian traffic to justify the
new priority category,” Dr Smith said.
“O ur expectation is that all commonly
used retail areas like central business
districts will be included.”
The Government wants the legislation
passed by the end of the year.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: Getty Images
Damaged shops in Colombo Street following Christchurch’s earthquake on February 22, 2011.
All Black captain Richie McCaw
may be keen on using the silver
fern in a new national flag, but New
Zealand Rugby warned the design
committee not to use its trademarked
silver fern logo.
McCaw said on Monday he
welcomed the flag debate and
thought the silver fern represented
“what it means to be a Kiwi”.
The symbol meant a lot to the
All Blacks, so “something like that
probably wouldn’t hurt ”, he told
However, a spokeswoman for the
Flag Consideration Project said
officials met with the NZ Rugby
Union to discuss whether it would
allow its trademarked fern to be used
in designs for a new flag.
The discussion occurred because a
number of people had used the fern
in their flag design submissions.
Officials were told permission to use
the fern on a new flag was unlikely to
If NZ Rugby had allowed its fern to
be used on a flag and it made the final
four, it would have had to assign all
rights in it to the Crown at no cost.
Other fern symbols can still be used
and feature in three of the final four
After NZ Rugby made it clear
it was unlikely to allow its fern to
be used, those who used it in their
designs were given the option of
changing it to remain in contention.
About 370 flag designs are still on the
flag.govt.nz gallery using the All
Blacks silver fern and crediting Dave
Clark. None made it to the longlist.
NZ Rugby’s general manager of
public affairs, Nick Brown, said after
initial talks with the flag officials
NZ Rugby was not asked to give
permission for any flag to progress to
the long list. “ We were comfortable
with the guidelines they had in place
requiring people to submit original
work or obtain the permission of the
owner of any designs. ”
Hamish Selby, an intellectual
property lawyer at Buddle Findlay,
said NZ Rugby’s decision was
understandable and that any public
relations benefits in allowing the fern
to be used would be short-term.
“It’s almost like handing over
the crown jewels, so to speak, of
their business to someone for no
commercial gain,” Mr Selby said.
Rugby has a very strong
commercial alignment with its fern
because the fern is so closely aligned
with the All Blacks, and it leverages a
lot of its income from the commercial
arrangements it has.”
It is not the only problem the flag
project has had with intellectual
property issues — it also had to
remove all designs which included
Hundertwasser Koru after a copyright
c laim by the Hundertwasser Non-
Prime Minister John Key ’s desire
for a new flag was sparked by the
2011 Rugby World Cup — his
original preference was for a silver
fern on black. Many were surprised it
had not made the shortlist, although
Kyle Lockwood’s version was in the
The flag panel’s chairman, John
Burrows, said it was considered but
the panel decided the white fern on
black was too closely associated with
sports. “ The silver fern has a long
history which goes way beyond just
sport. It’s been around for hundreds of
years, long before commercialisation
existed. It has been used on military
uniforms, the coat of arms, it ’s on our
Mr Lockwood referred questions
about the intellectual property rights
in his two shortlisted designs to the
Flag Consideration Project.
A spokeswoman said under the
conditions of submitting a flag
design, designers who made the final
four had to agree to hand over all
copyright and intellectual property
rights in the designs to the Crown at
Mr Lockwood sells his flags in a
range of designs and colours on his
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
ABs: silver fern off limits for flag
Williamson’s jokes leave
Women’s Affairs, Sue Moroney,
said Prime Minister John Key
and Minister for Women Louise
Upston should be seeking more
details about what caused the
“If the organiser of the even feels
embarrassed enough about those
comments to have apologised
for them, then both the Prime
Minister and Minister for Women
ought to have a talk with Maurice
Williamson and find out exactly
“If there are allegations of
Williamson was asked to MC
the event because he is a member
of Parliament, then he is there
representing his party. They do
need to find out what he said, and
address any issues that arise from
Ms Moroney said she believed
earlier controversy over Mr Key ’s
pulling of a waitress’s pony-tail
would “make it very difficult for
him to raise this issue with MPs
like Maurice Williamson”.
The former minister was the MC
at the Esri Users Conference dinner
at Sky City last Tuesday.
A guest told One News
Mr Williamson was making
jokes which “made many feel
Another said Mr Williamson,
who was MC for the gala dinner,
was acting “like it was a stag do”.
The event ’s organiser, Eagle
Technology, issued an apology
which said any offensive comments
did not reflect its beliefs and values.
One News reported that Mr
Williamson said he regretted any
offence caused in the statement,
and said his intention was not to
offend but entertain.
Matt Lythe, GIS sales manager
at Eagle Technology, said last night
it was a private matter and the
company would not be commenting
on it at all.
Under the heading “Please accept
our apology”, Eagle Technology
sent an e-mail to guests to say sorry
for Mr Williamson’s actions.
“Corallie Eagle, D uane Eagle and
all of the Eagle Technology staff
offer our sincere apologies to all who
attended the NZEUC conference
gala dinner last Tuesday night, for
the content and references made by
the MC, Maurice Williamson. ”
It went on to say that Mr
Williamson had asked the company
to convey his apologies also.
“ His intention was certainly not
to offend, but rather to entertain
and he regrets the offence caused. ”
The e-mail said Eagle Technology
and the dinner organisers were not
aware of the content “that was to
unfold”, and assured guests that any
offensive comments or content did
not reflect the beliefs and values of
Mr Williamson has been the MP
for Pakuranga since 1987.
He is also a former Minister
Statistics, Information Technology,
Transport, Local Government and
Mr Williamson resigned as
a minister last May following
revelations he contacted a top-
ranking police officer
businessman Donghua Liu was
arrested on domestic violence
He also made international
headlines for his “ big gay rainbow ”
speech at the final reading of the
same-sex marriage bill.
Saturday’s incident was not
the first time Mr Williamson’s
comments have caused a stir.
In a speech at an awards ceremony
in 2012, he reportedly joked about
Muslims, causing outrage.
“ What is the difference between
Muslims and Kiwis? Muslims get
to commit adultery and get stoned,
Kiwis get stoned and commit
adultery,” he was reported as saying.
He also used the names of
Muslim denominations to make
a joke about the weather: “Shi’ite
in the morning and Sunni in the
In the same speech, Mr
Williamson also said attitudes
to foreign ownership were often
linked to the ethnicity of the buyer.
In 2007, Mr Williamson was
forced to apologise for an e-mail
he sent responding to a television
report on obesity: “If some people
can’t lose weight no matter what,
how come there were no fat people
in the Nazi concentration camps?”
Earlier this year there were reports
Mr Williamson had attempted to
join the Act Party. However, he
rejected these claims. — NZ ME
A bull was hit and killed by a train
south of Oamaru yesterday, after it had
caused traffic chaos on State highway 1.
Police were called to Deborah just
before 1pm after receiving a report of a
bull running loose on the road “trotting
towards town”, highway patrol sergeant
Peter Muldrew said.
Several motorists had to take evasive
action to dodge the bull, before it moved
off the road.
When police arrived at the scene, the
bull had moved on to the railway line.
Mr Muldrew called train control to
alert them of the situation and was told a
train was about to come through.
The train was unable to slow in time
and hit the bull just before 1pm.
The bull, which had escaped from a
nearby farm, did not sur vive.
— Otago Daily Times
Neighbours tell of screams
in fatal house fire
Residents were among those who tried
to save their screaming neighbours from
a fatal house fire in Palmerston North
which is believed to have claimed the
lives of an adult and child.
More than 30 firefighters were called
to tackle the blaze which gutted the two
unit property on Exeter Crescent, in the
suburb of Takaro shortly before 3am.
Palmerston North police said they
believed a child and an adult had died in
the fire, however this was still subject to
Nine others were also rushed to
hospital following the fatal blaze, and
it is believed they are all from the same
A Palmerston North Hospital
spokesman said a 20-year-old man
and 12-year-old girl were in a stable
condition in intensive care. An 18-year-
old woman was in a stable condition
in the general ward, as were nine and a
13-year-old in the children’s ward. One
person was discharged this morning.
Housing New Zealand has confirmed
in a statement that it was one of its
homes and was now working with the
family “to ensure they have the support
they require at this traumatic time”.
Exeter Crescent residents were among
those who tried to save the family from
the deadly fire.
Krystal Simpson, said her partner tried
to get people out of the blaze.
“ He was trying to smash windows and
the mum was running to the back of the
house trying to hose it.”
Her partner had gone to work today
but was pretty quiet and shaken up.
Another neighbour, Anita Wharepouri,
said she and her son Richard, 21, were
woken by an explosion.
“ I just heard this big bang,” Mrs
“Then bright flames and I just ran.
Richard went and grabbed the phone
and rang all the ser vices and I ran over
to the house. One of the young boys
came out and said ring an ambulance
because he cut his hand jumping out the
She tried to get in the house but the
smoke was too thick.
“All we could hear was the screaming
from the girl upstairs. ”
Police got her out but Mrs Wharepouri
thought two young children downstairs
were unaccounted for.
One neighbour, Sherry, said she was “a
bit shaken” this morning after seeing the
flames from the fatal fire.
“I just heard people yelling and I
thought, ‘Oh they must be having
a domestic’, then I heard all this
banging, so it was obviously the glass
was popping and stuff like that,” she
Other neighbours had gathered outside
as well, she said, but there was nothing
they could do. — NZME
Two armed robberies in the space of an
hour were carried out in Wellington last
The first incident happened about
11.30pm outside Domino’s Pizza, on
Riddiford Street, when a delivery driver
was approached by a man holding a
firearm and wearing a scarf over his face.
The man took cash from the driver,
before fleeing on foot, police said.
He was described as being of slim
build, and approximately 170cm tall.
He was wearing a black top with white
stripes on the shoulders.
About an hour later two men wearing
ski masks entered the Clock Work Gold
Bar, on Main Road in Tawa. One of the
men was armed with a firearm.
The men stole the keys of a staff
member’s vehicle, and fled the scene in
it, police said. The vehicle was located by
police a short time later, and an imitation
firearm was recovered. — N Z ME
Two robberies in capital
Links Archive September 2nd 2015 September 4th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page