Home' Greymouth Star : September 11th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, September 11, 2015 - 3
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$NZ KIWI DOLOLLAR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
source: interest.co .nz
market movement volume
mark tet move t
As at 4pm September 10, 2015
a2 Milk Company
72 +1 1507
237 +2 49.15
ANZ Banking Gr
Auckland Intl Airpt
DNZ Prop Fund
1155 –4 7.91
763 –2 57.27
722 +5 288.1
Fonterra Share Fund
493 +4 40.40
555 +5 1.36
186 +1 23.21
Goodman Prop Tr
116 +1 175.6
303 +1 13.59
Kiwi Property Gr
128.5 +0.5 16.28
215.5 +1.5 130.1
420 +1 11.87
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
266 +1 29.56
390 –1 8.74
96 +1 51.75
Orion Health Gr
52 +1 31.50
1700 +7 0.57
Prop For Industry
375 –3 4.50
770 –1 6.69
Sky Network TV
469 –2 725.4
382 +1 1087
335 –2 1370
Steel & Tube
265 +3 3.75
Summerset Gr Hldgs
207 +3 1.03
Trade Me Gr
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
1450 +22 55.60
Trading to 10:30am,
Friday, September 11, 2015
DECLINERS: 16 TRADED: 91
Aluminium High Grade
Youth denies murdering
A 16-year-old has today denied
murdering a Christchurch pensioner.
The teenager, who has name
suppression which includes a ban on
publishing the accused’s gender, has
been charged with killing 87-year-
old Harold Richardson at his O wens
Terrace home in Upper Riccarton
last month. His body was found
inside the house in the morning of
August 2. Today, through defence
counsel Jonathan Eaton QC, the
youth pleaded not guilty in the High
Court at Christchurch. The youth
will turn 17 before a case review
hearing on October 23.
Otago takes over
Otago Polytechnic is expected to
take over all programmes offered
by Aoraki Polytechnic by early next
year, ending Aoraki’s operations in
Dunedin. A consultation process on
the proposal is under way. “ There’s
only one proviso,” Otago Polytechnic
chief executive officer Phil Ker said.
“ We have to be confident of viable
(student) numbers ... by the end of
the year.” The announcement comes
as Aoraki’s other campuses in Otago
and Canterbury prepare to merge
with Christchurch Polytechnic
Institute of Technology.
Otago Daily Times
One of the Flag Consideration Panel
members who helped to pick the final four
options sits on a Government board where
her job is to help promote the Fern Mark
Julie Christie is an advisory board member
on New Zealand Story, a New Zealand
Trade and Enterprise body which approves
the use of the Fern Mark image used on the
black-and-white version of the final four
She declared a conflict of interest at the
same meeting at which the flag panel was
told the NZ Story board had cleared the
path for the Fern Mark to be used on a new
The details are revealed in papers released
under the Official Information Act and
have led to the revelation former National
Party campaign director Grant McLachlan,
who is fronting a competing entry, Black
and Silver, has sought legal advice which
could halt the referenda.
The OIA papers show Ms Christie
declared two conflicts of interest at a July
30 meeting of the flag panel. She declared
her link to the Fern Mark and as a member
of the commercial committee of the NZ
The minutes said “the panel noted these
conflicts of interest as minor”.
They also show the board of NZ Story
to which Ms Christie was appointed by
Economic Development Minister Steven
Joyce in November 2013 — had discussed
the NZ Trade and Enterprise logo and “had
formally agreed to support the use of the
NZ Way Fern Mark in any flag design”. The
NZRU had ruled out a similar arrangement.
The papers show Saatchi boss Nicky Bell
also declared a conflict but officials withheld
The declarations came after the flag
submissions closed in mid-July but before
the “ longlist ” of 40 flags was revealed in
August. The list included a number of Fern
Ms Christie referred questions last night
to the secretariat of the Flag Consideration
Panel for a response.
A spokeswoman for the panel said:
“Ms Christie excluded herself from any
discussions in relation to designs that
included those particular ferns.” S he said the
conflict had also been raised earlier. She said
Ms Bell’s conflict had nothing to do with
NZTE but because she “has occasion to
meet and work with professional designers”.
Any conflict was managed properly, the
panel spokeswoman said.
A spokeswoman for Mr Joyce said he had
“no concern” about Ms Christie being on
the NZ Story board and selecting fern flags.
He said he was not consulted before the NZ
Story board told the flag panel it could use
Mr McLachlan said he had sought legal
advice on having the process reviewed by
the courts, based on conflicts of interest and
the panel not seeking proper expert advice.
Ms Christie should never have been
appointed to the panel, Mr McLachlan said.
“That ’s more than a minor conflict of
Christie declared flag conflict to panel
The man who murdered Connor Morris
has been jailed for life.
Michael Thrift Murray, 34, was found
guilty of murdering Mr Morris after a two
week trial last month.
During a street fight last August, Murray
hit Mr Morris on the head with a sickle-like
tool. He died seconds later in his partner
Millie Elder-Holmes’ arms.
In the High Court at Auckland today
Justice Edwin Wylie sentenced Murray to
life in prison with a minimum non-parole
period of 10 years.
Mr Morris’ mother Julie and sister
Cymmion were in court today and were
supported by friends and family.
His father Chris Morris and Ms Elder-
Holmes were not present, but her mother
The four wrote victim impact statements
but they were not read aloud in court.
Murray had read those and his lawyer
Marie Dhyrberg said he had expressed
At the trial Murray had claimed he acted
in defence of his brother when he hit Mr
Morris in the head with a sickle-like tool
He pleaded not guilty to murder, saying
he did not intend to hurt or kill Mr
He was worried that Mr Morris would
seriously hurt or kill his 22-year-old brother,
New Zealand Herald
Connor Morris killer jailed for life
Former Green Party co-leader Russel
Norman will resign as an MP and from the
Green Party to head Greenpeace New Zealand.
Dr Norman, who stepped down from the
co-leader position in May and was replaced by
James Shaw, will leave Parliament next month.
In November he will become Greenpeace
New Zealand’s executive director, taking over
from Bunny McDiarmid, who has been in the
role for 10 years.
Dr Norman said he would also resign from
the Green Party.
“Greenpeace’s staunch position on political
independence is one I have always had huge
respect for and it is for this reason that I will
“I ’d like to acknowledge the superb job
that Bunny McDiarmid has done as head of
Greenpeace over the last decade. And I’d like
all of Greenpeace’s supporters to know that, as
your new executive director, I’ll do everything
I can to continue that tradition of great
Stephanie Mills, chair woman of Greenpeace
NZ’s board, said Dr Norman’s optimism
and vision, but also “commitment to civil
disobedience and direct action” as a core part of
democracy were reasons for his appointment.
In June, four Greenpeace protesters scaled
Parliament ’s roof to call for greater action on
Dr Norman’s resignation will see Marama
Davidson become the party’s 14th MP.
Ms Davidson, from Manurewa, Auckland, is
a political commentator who has worked at the
Human Rights Commission for ten years.
Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei paid
tribute to Dr Norman, saying there were few
words to express how grateful the party was to
him for his work.
“Since becoming co-leader outside Parliament
in 2006 after the tragic death of Rod Donald,
Russel has established himself as one of the
most effective MPs in the opposition,” Ms
Dr Norman was a “constant thorn” in the
Government ’s side and a passionate advocate
for the environment and the disadvantaged,
Dr Norman, 48, leaves politics having helped
to double the Greens’ share of the party vote to
11 per cent.
During that time, the Greens have not only
become more a mainstream party, but the
Green economics they have preached has
become more commonplace.
Meanwhile, Tim Barnett, who has been the
Labour Party’s general secretary for three years
and oversaw last year’s election campaign, has
announced his resignation.
Last week Tara Brown went to
police for help because her former
partner was sending threatening text
messages. This week she died after a
brutal road-rage attack and her ex is
facing murder charges in Q ueensland.
Ms Brown walked into her local
police station eight days ago and
asked for advice. The 24-year-old
had broken up with her childhood
sweetheart, Lionel Patea, and it
appears he was not taking it well.
Texts from the former Bandidos
gang member prompted her to seek
safety advice from police. They turned
her away. Five days later the New
Zealand mother of one was dead,
allegedly murdered by the man she
was seeking protection from.
The Queensland Police Ser vice
Ethical Standards Command is now
investigating “the appropriateness of
the police response” as Ms Brown’s
devastated family plan her funeral.
It is alleged that on Tuesday, Patea
parked outside a daycare centre on the
Gold Coast and waited for Ms Brown
to drop their daughter off. He then
Police say he rammed her car off the
road and while she was trapped in the
wreckage down an embankment he
He used a cast-iron metal plate
that had come loose from a footpath
hydrant, Detective Inspector Brian
Swan said, and hit her around the
head until she was unrecognisable.
Bystanders described Patea as
bloody and dazed. He allegedly stole
a car and took off.
Ms Brown was rushed to hospital
and put on life support. Her family,
including some from New Zealand,
raced to her bedside. Hours later
Patea was taken to the same hospital.
He had walked into the Coomera
police station with self-inflicted stab
wounds to his chest and abdomen.
Within hours Ms Brown had died
and Patea had been charged with
murder and a special bedside court
hearing was held at the hospital. He
remains there under police guard as
Ms Brown’s family plan her funeral.
The Southport Magistrates Court
has confirmed Patea will appear on
October 28 charged with murder,
contravening a domestic violence
order, dangerous operation of a
vehicle and two charges of attempted
unlawful use of a vehicle.
Mr Swan said the attack on Ms
Brown was so brutal that it shocked
even the most senior detectives.
“At first police thought a paver or
brick was used in the alleged attack
on the woman but it was a cast-iron
metal plate that had come loose from
a footpath hydrant,” he told Brisbane’s
Patea is a former Bandidos gang
Facebook, he is from Whanganui but
is understood to have been living in
Australia for some time and attended
high school on the Gold Coast, where
he met Ms Brown.
Dead mum begged police to help her
A video capturing a brutal brawl between
a group of South Auckland schoolgirls has
The footage, which has been filmed using a
cellphone camera, shows a dozen or so girls
involved in a fight.
Two police officers are also filmed trying to
stop the fight.
The video, which was uploaded to Facebook
yesterday, has been viewed more than 790,000
It has been shared more than 5000 times,
and has topped 15,000 likes.
spokeswoman confirmed this morning.
The brawl involved students from Manurewa
High School, and was organised through
Facebook, she said.
About 40 to 50 teenagers arrived to either
watch, or participate in the fight, about
1.30pm yesterday on Browns Road in
One of the young girls involved had now
been referred to Youth Aid, the spokeswoman
said. No one was injured during the fight, she
Manurewa High School principal Salvatore
Gargiulo said he was “very disappointed that
a group of girls have let themselves down”.
Senior pupils had been on study leave this
week, coming in only to sit exams. That had
made it “hard to get a tag on conflicts”, he
The school was not open today, but Mr
Gargiulo said a group of staff members would
be visiting students to “get to the bottom of
This is not the first time footage of fights
involving high school students has appeared
Last month a mob of schoolboys from
three different schools turned on a 19-year-
old who was picking his little sister up from
school, when he tried to stop them attacking
a younger student. Two students aged 17 and
18 were charged with assault for their part in
a 60-student fracas between students from
De La Salle and St Paul’s colleges at Orakei
Train Station last month.
In May, a 15-year-old girl was arrested
following an assault in Kaikohe that was
filmed and posted on-line.
In March, footage showed a girl crying as
she was hit by another girl, before the fight
was eventually broken up by bystanders.
Schoolgirl brawl goes viral
A private Auckland primary school will be
shut down by the government after teachers
were found to be hitting children.
Pacific Christian School, which caters to
mainly Tongan students in Mangere, has had
its registration suspended and will close in two
Police and social workers were called in
to investigate after a serious incident at the
school last year in which an 11-year-old
student reportedly stabbed another in the
head with scissors.
The Ministry of Education said there were
“serious and ongoing concerns” about the
safety and welfare of the students.
It was the first time it had suspended a
private school’s registration, deputy secretary
of sector enablement and support Katrina
Casey said, and “wasn’t done lightly.”
“ We have met with the school a number
of times, but they haven’t provided us with
any assurances to change our view that the
children at this school are at risk.
“That can’t be allowed to continue,” Ms
A special review from the Education
Office Review Report had found a number
of concerns remain, including the quality
of teaching and learning and the welfare of
The ministry had also been working with
Police and Child, Youth and Family. The
agencies completed investigations into
allegations of physical discipline that followed
the incident last year.
“ Police have advised us that four teachers
have been formally warned over their actions
and that they have advised the Education
Council of the outcome of their investigation,”
Ms Casey said.
“ While all of those investigations have been
carried out, the Ministry has been watching
the school very closely and we would have
acted immediately if required. ”
The suspension of the school’s registration
will take effect from September the 25th.
New Zealand Herald
Govt closes private
children were hit
establishing a refugee resettlement centre in
Dunedin, Mayor Dave Cull says.
The call, in a media statement issued by
Mr Cull late yesterday, came amid growing
international concern at the plight of Syrian
refugees making their way into Europe.
The Government here has responded by
saying it will accept 600 more Syrian refugees
over the next three years, on top of New
Zealand’s refugee quota.
Mr Cull, contacted in China, said the
Government should consider establishing a
refugee resettlement centre in D unedin.
The idea had been considered in 2011, and
“clearly now there is an even greater need’’,
Mr Cull said.
“Our community’s been quite vocal
saying we’re very sympathetic to the idea of
supporting a group of refugees coming to the
“If further investment is required, and
other centres are stretched to accommodate
more immigrants, it makes sense to look at
Mr Cull’s comments came days after he
suggested D unedin could host more refugees,
but only if more government funding was
At present, all refugees arriving in New
Zealand go first to the Mangere Refugee
Resettlement Centre for a six to eight-week
stay, before being sent to one of four other
centres in Waikato, Wellington, Manawatu
Immigration Minister Michael Woodhouse,
a Dunedin-based National Party list MP,
said last night the Government would not
be considering investment in a new refugee
facility like Mangere’s.
The Mangere facility was being refurbished,
but remained adequate for the country’s needs
despite the extra refugees to be accepted, he
However, Immigration New Zealand was
still considering where in New Zealand to
send the extra Syrian refugees after they left
Mangere, and “that ’s where the city could
potentially provide support’’.
Otago Daily Times
Mayor calls for refugee centre in Dunedin
A woman who ripped off
$300,000 over 17 years would
take 587 years to pay back the
Meivisi Taufa, 50, was jailed
for three years after admitting
13 benefit-fraud charges and had
been recently paying back $10 a
At Auckland District Court
yesterday, Judge Grant Fraser
said paying back the full sum
was “well beyond your ability
and your longevity” and ordered
reparation of only $6000 —
leaving taxpayers with a shortfall
of about $295,000.
who also goes
by the names Mavis Taufa,
Mavis Maumalangi, Mavis
Maumalonga, Mavis Faleola,
Lesaisaea, Meivisi Maumalangi,
Meivisi Maumalonga, Meivisi
Faleola, Meivisi Manufekau and
Meivisi Lesaisaea — began
applying for money she was not
entitled to in 1996.
By the end of 2012 she had
submitted nearly 50 different
details. Her lawyer Mary-Anne
Lowe said the evidence provided
to her by the prosecution filled 10
folders in two large office boxes.
Taufa told probation she
had a gambling problem but
had defrauded the Ministry of
Social Development because
she felt like the State owed her
“ You have
entrenched sense of entitlement
in regards to the New Zealand
government and to taxpayers’
funds ....” Judge Fraser read from
587 years to pay
back stolen funds
Drivers using mobile phones
and other devices while behind
the wheel will be the target of a
national police operation from
The operation will target driver
distraction — including putting
on makeup, shaving and reading.
The deadly habit contributed to
12% of crashes in New Zealand
last year, despite it being made
illegal in 2009, police said in a
Policing Superintendent Steve
Greally said officers were noticing
a rise in the use of phones, tablets
“Given that the law has been in
place for more than five years now,
there really is no excuse for drivers
to keep offending,” he said.
Ministry of Transport data
showed that last year ‘diverted
attention’ contributed to 1053
crashes — or 12% of all crashes.
In those, 22 people were killed
and 191 were serious injured.
The social cost of those crashes
was $297 million — about 9%
of the cost associated with all
“ However, this is nothing
compared to the devastating
human cost of the broken families
and friends that are left behind
when someone is needlessly killed
in a crash that could have been
prevented, and that is what police
are focusing on,” Mr Greally
It was illegal to text or use a
mobile phone when driving —
even when a car is stationary at
traffic lights or in a queue, Mr
Anyone seen by police using a
mobile phone while driving can
expect to be stopped and handed
an $80 fine and 20 demerit points.
A New Zealand driver licence is
automatically suspended for three
months if 100 demerit points are
accumulated within two years.
‘More than a minor conflict of interest ’
Links Archive September 10th 2015 September 12th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page