Home' Greymouth Star : September 12th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Saturday, September 12, 2015
West Coast Tobacco Free Coalition members — Joe Mason, left, Jeanette Thomas, Karen Hamilton,
Anne Hines, Diana Panapa, Steffan Cavill-Fowler, Sue Neilson, Ann McDonald, Mel Adams and John
Caygill — outside the Arahura Marae yesterday. One of the main topics of discussion was ‘Stoptober’,
the 31-day stop smoking challenge. West Coast residents who smoke are encouraged to take the
challenge and stop smoking this October.
Ready for ‘Stoptober’
A Karoro woman who dishonestly
used her 74-year-old grandmother’s
Visa card on 48 separate occasions
while she was in hospital, escaped
jail yesterday after the judge was
convinced she was “putting her life
back on track”.
Kaylah Maree Fern Terei, 21, also
known as Kaylah Maree Cathcart,
previously pleaded guilty to 48
counts of taking a credit card for
pecuniary use, and one charge of
On March 9, 2013, Terei was
sentenced to nine months’ home
detention, moving to live with her
grandmother in Waikato.
However, after her grandmother
was admitted to hospital she took
the grandmother’s ANZ Visa card
and used it for 30 separate on-line
and phone transactions.
Between November 7 and 29 she
again used the card for 29 separate
transactions. All the transactions
added up to a value in excess of
Once the grandmother noticed
the card use and reported it to the
police, Terei told them she had used
the card out of “frustration”.
The offending included paying
for downloading music and paying
for a trip to Queenstown and Franz
Josef Glacier. On April 1 this year,
Terei was driving in Christchurch
when she was stopped and breath-
tested, blowing 461mg.
Earlier in the week, Terei’s
sentencing had been delayed so that
an address could be assessed for an
The address where Terei was living
was labelled a “party house” by
police. However, Mr Bodle asked
if the owner of the house could be
given a chance to show police there
were no undesirables living on the
premises. He said the homeowner
had been able to convince police
that it was a suitable address for
Terei to be sentenced to.
Terei had stayed out of trouble
in the inter vening period since the
offending took place 18 months ago
and she was proud of the progress
she had made.
Mr Bodle accepted that Terei
had not complied with her earlier
sentence of home detention.
However, she had “gone off the
rails” at that time, as just before her
sentence was imposed her former
partner, and father of one of her
children, had killed himself.
“This type of offending, with no
thought or regard to the person
she was offending against, seems
to indicate there was a fair amount
of turmoil going on in her life,” Mr
Terei now volunteered for
Multiple Sclerosis West Coast.
Any sentence of community work
could potentially be converted to
an agency placement which would
encompass her current voluntary
work, he said.
Judge Brian Callaghan said Terei
“seemed to be at a crossroads in
Terei seemed to be moving on
from the use of synthetic cannabis
during her home detention
and “problematic” alcohol use,
and a general “reduction in the
regularity of your offending, and
just generally your life of late, you
may be turning over a new leaf
in your life, to become a more
community-minded citizen rather
However, the judge said the
offending “richly deser ved a
starting point of prison”, due to
the aggravating features of the
offending occurring while she was
on home detention.
“I have decided that a sentence of
five months’ community detention,
160 hours of community work,
super vision for six months and to
pay reparation of $2058 is suitable,”
Judge Callaghan said.
Terei was also banned from
driving for six months on the
“ I have come to the view that
bearing in mind the length of time
since the main offending, there
has been no major reoffending ...
that you are doing some voluntary
work in the community, which does
suggest a sense of responsibility.
You are trying to put your life back
Terei had not shown “great
respect ” to her community work
sentence in the past, “but I am
forever hopeful you will comply”.
Woman uses gran’s credit card 48 times
A woman who stole more than
$20,000 from a local charity had
shown an “appalling” attitude while
being dealt with on the matter, a
Dunedin District Court judge said
Jacqueline Elizabeth McKenzie, 45,
was sentenced to five months’ home
detention for using a company credit
card to buy personal items worth
more than $21,000 while working as
branch manager for Schizophrenia
Fellowship Otago, between July 2011
and November 2013.
McKenzie used the money for
personal expenses such as travel
costs and rubbish skip hire, and to
buy products for a business she was
operating on the side, Judge Kevin
McKenzie pleaded guilty in
June to one charge of theft by a
person in a special relationship, but
initially disputed the amount of
“ Your attitude to this matter has
been appalling,” Judge Phillips told
“That you have continued to cover
up, argue and deny the obvious is a
matter I must take into account.”
McKenzie appeared for a disputed
facts hearing on August 12 over
the amount of money taken, but
that never took place as McKenzie
eventually agreed to the amount.
Judge Phillips instead issued her
an ultimatum to repay the money by
yesterday or face jail time.
Yesterday morning, McKenzie,
now of Christchurch, fronted up with
the money, which would be paid to
the Department of Corrections.
A sentence of home detention had
been indicated by Judge Phillips had
the money not been repaid.
A large group of the organisation’s
staff was on hand as McKenzie
appeared for sentencing.
Public defender Andrew More
said McKenzie was remorseful and
he sought a sentence of community
detention and community work.
McKenzie could then give back to
the community, he said.
“She is remorseful. It’s taken some
time for us to get to this position, but
we are there now.
“A guilty plea has been entered and
she has taken full responsibility.”
Judge Phillips said stealing while
in a management position from
an organisation funded mainly by
donations was “in my view, at the
higher end of an abuse of trust ”.
McKenzie had misled staff about
her entitlements, threatened to
discipline them for questioning her
decision-making and did not keep
appropriate records, the court heard.
In a “somewhat peculiar” move, she
had issued an affidavit outlining her
remorse, Judge Phillips said.
“I do not believe that remorse to be
The sentence of home detention
would “not be easy for a woman of
your arrogance”, he said.
A former chairman of the
organisation, Richard Linscott, said
after McKenzie’s last appearance
he was relieved she had finally
acknowledged what had happened.
“For the reputation of the
organisation, it ’s important for us
to have done this out in the open,
particularly given the importance of
the relationship with our funders.
“ We want this not to happen to
“The funds are also important, but
the aim, in particular, was to have
some conclusion around what ’s
When asked whether McKenzie
should be sent to prison, Mr Linscott
replied, “You never get satisfaction
out of those sorts of things”.
He had not wanted to discuss how
the fraud was perpetrated.
Mr Linscott said travel and holiday
expenses McKenzie had incurred were
local and not considered extravagant.
“There was a fair amount of
management of what was happening
to keep it concealed.”
He praised the work of the charity’s
auditors for uncovering the theft, and
of staff for rallying in the absence of a
senior member of management.
Otago Daily Times
Woman who stole from charity told her attitude ‘appalling’
Corrections staff subject to
Sixteen Corrections workers
were the subject of criminal
investigations in the first three
months of this year, according to
new figures released yesterday.
TV3 News reported the number
last night citing documents
released to the network under the
Official Information Act.
The figures do not include
people working for under-fire
private prison operator Serco
but they also show that last year
12 employees were dismissed
for criminal or conduct issues
and 16 staff under investigation
Twenty-one employee received
warnings, five of which were final
The Department of Corrections
employs 7700 people and
the Green Party corrections
spokesman David Clendon told
TV3 he would like to see an
independent prison inspectorate.
“Serco has been criticised and
quite justifiably. The public system,
however, is far from perfect,” he
“ We have some serious problems
in our corrections system.”
Beven Hanlon, of the Corrections
Association, said the figures were
comparable to any workplace,
while Corrections said it had
beefed up pre-employment checks.
Police investigating a fatal crash
on State highway 6 near Lake
Moeraki on Monday morning have
charged the driver of the vehicle
with careless driving causing death.
Thirty-year-old Taiwanese tourist
Yi-Chieh Feng died following the
crash. Her family have arrived in
New Zealand. The crash happened
about 10am near Mimi Creek, at the
eastern end of the lake. Yesterday
police charged the 31-year-old
man, who was not seriously injured.
He will appear in the Christchurch
District Court on Wednesday.
Driver charged after fatal crash
Police and school principals are wary
of an increase in “absolutely disgusting”
behaviour organised by young people on
A vicious brawl among school girls
from Manurewa High School in south
Auckland has gone viral, with footage
of the scuffle garnering more than one
million views on-line.
The school’s principal Pete Jones said
what happened made him feel “sick”
and Counties Manukau police central
area commander Inspector Julia Lynch
said the shocking footage is the latest
in a string of “absolutely disgusting”
similar posts on social media.
“It is concerning that these things are
happening. We’ve got young people
on social media organising crimes,
looking at stealing cars, doing ram
raids, aggravate robberies and obviously
organised fighting as well.
“It ’s absolutely unacceptable. The
behaviour is disgusting and shouldn’t
Social media was heightening the risks
of such incidents and children as young
as 10 had been involved in organising
She said police were working hard
to identify the youths involved in the
south Auckland bust up.
Last night it emerged a South
Island school is dealing with pupils
involved in on-line arguments that got
out of hand.
Several male pupils at Mount Hutt
College in Methven are being dealt
with by staff after verbal sparring online
turned physical, principal John Schreurs
Two groups of pupils were engaging in
on-line “banter” that escalated, leading
to a “ruckus” at the school this week
involving about six pupils, he said.
Another fight had also been organised
on-line, but the school stepped in before
While he remained tightlipped about
the specific nature of the incident,
Mr Schreurs said the school would not
tolerate any kind of violent behaviour.
“Anything physical is not tolerated,
and is serious.
“It was a scrimmaging sort of situation,
but that said, we’ve made it very clear
that can’t happen.”
Taking disagreements on to social
media could prove inflammatory, and it
allowed far more people to get involved
than there otherwise would be, Mr
“One of the frustrations is students
using social media, that provokes things
a little bit.”
Mr Schreurs would not discuss the
pupils’ specific punishments.
Meanwhile Mr Jones said there would
be consequences for the pupils involved
in the south Auckland brawl, possibly
“Once we’ve worked with police to
identify exactly who they are then
there’s processes within the school,
so they ’ll be referred to the board
of trustees. There’s a consequence to
Richard, a father of two pupils at
Manurewa High, told Newstalk ZB the
street brawl was the talk of the town
before it happened.
The fight was organised through
Facebook and attended by about 50
teenagers, watching or participating.
Richard said his daughter told him
everyone at the school knew about it.
A witness told TV One News that
whoever posted it on-line was possibly
after attention and had made Manurewa
High look bad.
“There were heaps of people around
but no-one stopped it,” the teenage girl
“Everyone just had their camera out.”
An unprecedented review of
more than 2000 general staff
at the University of Otago has
sparked “huge concern” among its
employees, the Tertiary Education
“The immediate reactions have
been concern and surprise from
(union) members,” TEU organiser
Shaun Scott said.
director Kevin Seales said vice-
Hayne announced to staff last
week support ser vices across the
university would be reviewed.
“This is the first time that a review
of this kind has been conducted at
Otago,” he said.
“The first phase of the project
is to take a careful look at the
university’s ser vice activities and to
seek staff input on potential areas of
That phase was expected to finish
by early next year.
Mr Seales said as part of last
week’s staff forum Prof Hayne also
outlined funding challenges the
In July, the university projected a
shortfall of $5.66million by the end
of the year as a result of equivalent
fulltime students (Efts) enrolments
falling behind budget.
Mr Scott said union members had
ongoing concern about the lack of
funding from the Government to
meet the increasing costs of tertiary
“Squarely, the blame for that lies
at the feet of the Government,” he
“That said, the university makes
decisions within that environment
about how they spend their money.”
The university had met Dunedin
staff throughout this week,
and planned meetings with
Christchurch and Wellington staff
on Friday, Mr Scott said.
It was still “quite unclear” what
the result of the review would be.
“People are fearful for their jobs,
No firm numbers of how many
staff positions might be cut had
been provided, he said.
Mr Seales said the size and scale
of any potential staffing reductions
was not known.
Otago Daily Times
Schoolgirl brawl disgusts police
Staff review sparks concern
One person has died in after a car
rolled into a drain in Waikato last
Emergency crews were called
to the scene of the crash on State
highway 1 in Piarere shortly before
8.30pm. An SUV travelling south
rolled near the intersection of Tirau
Road and Horahora Road, police
It landed upside down in a drain.
One person was killed, and six
people were injured, one having to
be freed by the Fire Ser vice from
inside the vehicle.
They were taken to Waikato
Hospital, where they were being
treated, police said.
The Taupo serious crash unit was
investigating the crash.
NZME WRIGHT, (nee
McDermott) Val. —
Still thought of every
day. Eight years since
you left us.
Forever in our hearts
Neil, kids, grandkids
Old Fashioned Values,
Old Fashioned Ethics
Ph 768 0250
Value the life,
make it right
Don’t live with
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
will be missed by all.
Spread your wings
and fly high
Dearly loved father of
Wayne, grandad of
Stella, Jessie, Fraser,
Renee, Brodie, Ashleigh
grandad of Cameron,
Brooke, Jasmine, Esther,
Alize, Brianna, Isabella,
Andriaz, Kylah and
Rest in Peace
One dead, six injured after SUV rolls
Two teenage boys had
to be flown to Grey Base
Hospital yesterday after a
car and a
collided in Westport.
Westport Fire chief
Alan Kennedy said the
crash occurred on the
corner of Mill and Derby
Streets at about 3pm
yesterday when the car
went through a stop sign.
Mr Kennedy said three
occupants of the car had
to be taken to hospital,
though the driver of the
four wheel drive was all
right. NZCC Rescue
Helicopter pilot Angus
Taylor said two boys
about 13 years old were
taken to Greymouth
hospital, one with head
injuries and the other
with facial lacerations.
Teenagers injured in
www.newzealandhearing.co.nz | email@example.com | 021 175 8830
@ Franz Josef Clinic
Leading audiologist, Scott Wright is holding visiting clinics
in Franz Josef for all West Coast residents
Appointments are limited - Call NOW
Links Archive September 11th 2015 September 14th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page