Home' Greymouth Star : September 30th 2015 Contents www.greystar.co.nz
PHONE 769 7900
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
RUGBY WORLD CUP
Namibia were left to reflect ruefully on a
17th successive Rugby World Cup defeat
after scoring three tries in a 35-21 loss to
Tonga this morning.
The African side had targeted their first win
in the global showpiece tournament after
restricting New Zealand to a 58-14 victory in
their opening pool C game but were undone
by a fired-up Tonga side.
“ We can’t fault the effort or the commitment
of the players but Tonga were just too good
for us today,” Namibia coach Phil Davies said
after the game.
“It was disappointing we didn’t get a bit
closer towards the end, with all the effort we
put in. We will just keep moving for ward.”
Namibia have matches against Argentina
and Georgia to come as they seek to secure
that elusive first win.
“ We have got two games left, we are quite
proud of the performances to date, but we’ve
just got to keep working until we get that
elusive win we are after,” Davies said.
Namibia captain and flanker Jacques Burger
scored two tries in the second half to keep his
side in touch.
“The scrums is where we lost the game,” he
“ I noticed six, seven penalties against us. It
makes it hard to play. You get into their half,
give away a penalty and they kick it back.
“ We let in too many tries at first phase, that
is an area at this level of rugby you just can’t
do. We will learn from that.
“ We can attack and defend well at certain
times in a match and it is good for us, we can
take those victories away. But we need to start
Namibia, playing at their fifth World Cup,
still have one simple goal.
“ We talk about the win, that is all we aim
for. We don’t just want to be here, we want
to win a match and I believe we can,” Burger
PICTURE: Getty Images
Telusa Veainu of Tonga goes over for a try which was disallowed for hand in touch during the 2015 Rugby World Cup pool C match
against Namibia at Sandy Park this morning.
Fired-up Tonga win
Kevin Locke’s brief but eventful time
in Super League is over after Wakefield
chairman Michael Carter confirmed the
former New Zealand international has
played his last match for the club.
The 26-year-old fullback, who joined the
Wildcats on a short-term contract three
months ago after securing a release from
his unhappy spell at Salford, was suspended
by the club a fortnight ago after being
involved in a car crash with former
Parramatta playmaker Tim Smith.
Smith is due to appear before magistrates
in east Yorkshire tomorrow to face a charge
of driving without due care and attention
and remains the subject of an internal
investigation by Wakefield.
But Carter revealed overnight that Locke
has now returned to New Zealand.
“Kevin won’t play for Wakefield Trinity
Wildcats again,” said Carter.
“ We’ve concluded the case involving him,
shook hands and gone our own ways. He’s
now back home with his son.
“It was just one of those things, sadly.
“He picked up a shoulder injury anyway
and would have been doubtful for the games
he’d missed due to this matter, so we were
focusing on playing without him anyway.
“The situation with Tim is still
ongoing, I believe he’s in court on today so
I don’t think anything will be resolved from
a club perspective before the weekend and
the game against Bradford. It’s still very
sensitive and I’d just prefer to concentrate
on what ’s ahead of us.”
Salford paid a transfer fee to the Warriors
last year but he made just 13 appearances
for the Red Devils in a little over 12
months and played just five times for the
It is believed he is now talking to the
Melbourne Storm about the prospect of
returning to the NRL.
The latest development comes just
four days before Wakefield’s biggest game
in their recent history, the £1 million
match against Bradford which will
determine the 12th and final place in Super
League in 2016.
Kevin Locke ends Wakefield stay;
linked with Melbourne Storm
Springboks to name new skipper
South Africa face a difficult decision
replacing captain Jean de Villiers for their
key World Cup game against Scotland on
De Villiers abruptly retired from
international rugby after suffering a broken
jaw against Samoa last week.
Several senior players who could take over
are injured which has dashed coach Heyneke
Meyer’s hopes of naming his new leader
before today’s team announcement.
Vice-captain Victor Matfield is struggling
with a hamstring strain and halfback Fourie
du Preez (ribs) is also in doubt.
These and a number of other injuries forced
the cancellation of Monday’s training and the
delay in the team announcement until late
Other candidates include Duane Vermeulen,
who only returned from a neck injury in the
46-6 rout of Samoa at Villa Park last week.
Flanker Francois Louw, hooker Adriaan
Strauss and loose for ward Schalk Burger, who
captained the Boks against the All Blacks this
year, could also get the nod.
There was little indication at yesterday’s
practice session as to who will take the
leadership. But South Africa must be certain
to avoid a repeat of their shock loss when
they take on the Scots at Newcastle United’s
St James Park.
As de Villiers arrived back home in South
Africa to a big welcome, his replacement Jan
Serfontein joined his team-mates for his first
training session and was said he was “shocked”
to receive the call-up.
“I was surprised to get the call,” Serfontein
“I was watching the Wales-England
game and I got a call from coach Heyneke
saying that Jean is injured and that he was
considering picking me and he would only
confirm it on Sunday.
“I couldn’t sleep the night and got the news
on Sunday, but I’m happy to be here now and
will do everything I can to contribute.”
Serfontein missed out on the World Cup
squad because of the emergence of midfielders
Damian de Allende and Jesse Kriel. The duo,
if fit, are likely to start against Scotland.
De Allende has a knee ligament strain and
Kriel a nasty gash to the cheek after taking a
boot in the face in the Samoa win.
The Springboks are also expected to bring
back fiery hooker Bismarck du Plessis to the
match day squad.
The fans’ focus is on Johnathan Thurston,
but Brisbane great Darren Lockyer has
warned the Broncos to keep extra close tabs
on the champion halfback’s support cast in
Sunday ’s NRL grand final.
While Thurston is hogging the limelight
after landing an unprecedented fourth
Dally M Medal, Lockyer said he doubts
North Queensland could win a premiership
without unsung heroes like Michael
Morgan, Lachlan Coote and Jake Granville.
Morgan has been a revelation for the
Cowboys in 2015, bagging 15 tries in
22 games and making 21 line breaks to
rank inside the league’s top-five attacking
The Cowboys were not the same team
when the livewire five-eighth was sidelined
for a month with an ankle injury in the lead-
up to the finals.
Morgan’s value was also evident when he
nailed down a Queensland State of Origin
bench spot ahead of Manly superstar Daly
“I’ve always thought for the Cowboys to
win a grand final, they need a bit more than
just Thurtson,” Lockyer told AAP.
“They ’ve always had the for wards with
(Matt) Scott and ( James) Tamou, but they
needed that other threat in the backline and
that ’s Morgan, and Coote takes the pressure
off as well.”
Lockyer, who captained Brisbane to their
last premiership win in 2006, has no doubt
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett will be
formulating a game plan to limit Thurston’s
But he still urged the Broncos to tread with
care, especially when dealing with other
members of the Cowboys’ spine — Morgan,
fullback Coote and hooker Granville.
“They did a good job on him when they
played the first final so I know that ’ll be
the big focus of the Broncos — how they
handle JT,” Lockyer said.
“But they ’ve got to be careful. If you put too
much focus on Thurston, Michael Morgan is
likely to come up and bite you.
“I think Wayne is very good at coming up
with defensive strategies to try and minimise
the impact of the key players.
“Granville’s probably a bit of a threat out
of dummy-half. He hasn’t run a lot out of
dummy-half in recent weeks.
“Lachlan Coote as well. He’s played his
Lockyer warns Broncos to stop Morgan
RUGBY WORLD CUP
email@example.com • www.rwgreymouth.co.nz
West Coast Real Estate Ltd
Licensed (REAA 2008)
Lindsay Sinnott - AREINZ
021 768 675
027 222 5184
Lisa McEnaney- AREINZ
027 480 2474
146 Mackay Street, Greymouth • 03 768 0500
Links Archive September 29th 2015 October 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page