Home' Greymouth Star : October 12th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Monday, October 12, 2015 - 9
It is safe to say the Breakers bounced back
nicely after the season-opening defeat —
all it took was another triple-double from
The defending champions found the
increase in energy they were seeking to top
Townsville and level their ledger at 1-1, with
Jackson snaring a late rebound to secure his
fourth triple-double for the club.
The American watched as the club
unveiled their fourth championship banner
in the Vector Arena rafters and, having
played such a pivotal role in procuring three
of those trophies, proceeded to display title-
And Jackson’s timing could have hardly
been better. Facing the pre-game loss of
Mika Vukona and following an uninspired
season-opening performance in Adelaide,
the Breakers needed to show immediate
By the time a missed shot from the Crocs
clanged off the rim and bounced into his
grateful arms, Jackson had ensured those
amendments were made, finishing with
an influential 14 points, 14 assists and 10
Jackson flourished when playing both
creator and finisher and, crucially, he was
never guilty of forcing himself on the game.
Because with a leadership void created by
Vukona’s high hamstring strain — snapping
a streak of 211 consecutive games for
the power for ward — Dean Vickerman
was concerned his star man would want
to assume too much of the on-court
But Jackson instead picked his moments,
excelling in the open court as the Breakers
powered in front while playing with pace,
and allowing his team-mates to illustrate the
gains they had each made in their respective
“ We talked to him about letting his actions
lead the group,” Vickerman said. “ When
he does that, and he’s just concerned with
his own performance and with running the
show, he’s a great player. And he showed it.”
Jackson was far from alone in shining
and, with the shots once again falling, the
Breakers never trailed against a Townsville
side who fell into an early 0-2 hole. After
a horror night from beyond the arc in
Adelaide, the Breakers shot an ideal 10-
from-19 from deep, with Everard Bartlett
and Reuben Te Rangi filling the offensive
hole left by Corey Webster.
Bartlett enjoyed a particularly efficient
afternoon — grabbing a game-high 19
points on seven-of-nine shooting — as
he appeared intent on demonstrating he
belongs in the Australian NBL regardless of
whether his Webster lands a spot with the
New Orleans Pelicans.
Tom Abercrombie was one of six Breakers
to finish with double figures after returning
from injury alongside Alex Pledger to boost
the Breakers after the blow of Vukona’s
injury. And while Abercrombie’s efforts
surprised few, it was perhaps Pledger’s fine
first-half cameo off the bench that most
pleased Vickerman, given the coach was
uncertain of the big man’s status earlier in
“ Pledge was 50-50 at shootaround,”
Vickerman said. “ We had a good, honest
discussion and he said he was going to give
it a go.”
Pledger and Abercrombie will both
be hoping to back up in Illawarra on
Wednesday night, when the Breakers meet
former favourite son Kirk Penney and the
Hawks. — NZ ME
PICTURE: Getty Images
Mitch Norton of the Crocodiles defends against Tom Abercrombie of the Breakers.
Tony Woodcock’s All Blacks career is
over after he pulled a hamstring in the
47-9 World Cup win over Tonga.
Coach Steve Hansen confirmed the
news, which not only meant the end
of Woodcock’s tournament but also his
long and successful All Blacks career.
He played 118 internationals and
scored his 10th test try against Tonga.
His most memorable try was the only
one scored by New Zealand when
winning the 2011 World Cup final 8-7
against France at Eden Park.
disappointing for Woody,” Hansen
said. “He has played his last test. New
Zealanders should be very proud of
Joe Moody flew out of Auckland to join
the squad after he was withdrawn from
Canterbury’s ITM Cup game against
Southland. The 27-year-old has played
eight tests, five as a substitute, with his
last against Wales nearly 12 months ago.
The All Blacks could not confirm
the severity of Woodcock’s injury after
the Tonga game but there was a sense
it was not going to be good news for
Woodcock, who announced earlier this
year he would be retiring after the World
“He’s played a lot of games for the
All Blacks and, if this happens to be
the end of his tournament, it would
be a sad way to finish because he’s
been a great All Black and probably
deser ves to go out better than that,”
Hansen said after the Tonga game.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
All Blacks career over
West Coast primary boys finished the
Hatch Cup hockey tournament in 22nd
place out of 24 when they scored their
first win of the tournament, but lost
the play-off for 21st place, on Friday in
Coast played Central Otago in a
play-off to avoid finishing in one of the
bottom two positions.
The team started well, putting pressure
on Central Otago. Unfortunately, they
went to sleep on defence and Central
Otago scored the first goal.
Coast came back quickly, with Reuben
Lee scoring and then applied more
pressure and were awarded a stroke,
from which Josh Levien scored to
give the side a 2-1 lead going into the
In the second half, Coast again
pressured Central’s defence. Mikey
Wallace scored from a set penalty corner
and Reuben Lee scored his second goal
from a breakout. West Coast took their
first win, 4-1 .
Guy Wilkins, Mitchell Smith, Noah
Goodwin-Lister and Reuben Campbell
all played well. Josh Levien was awarded
with player of the day and Jack South
was most improved.
West Coast ’s last game was against
Nelson, for 21st or 22nd position.
The team started slowly, with Nelson
scoring an early goal in the first half.
Early in the second half, Nelson netted
another goal, which spurred Coast into
Josh Levien’s fast pace proved to be
vital for Coast with his fast breakouts.
Levien and Reuben Lee worked well
together with Lee scoring midway
through the half.
Coast were on attack for the remainder
of the game but were unable to score,
losing 1-2 .
Mac Williams was player of the day
and Mikey Wallace was named as West
Coast ’s most valuable player.
RUGBY WORLD CUP
Coast primary boys 22nd
in Hatch Cup
The All Blacks are favourites for
the quarter-final clash between the
two old World Cup rivals on Sunday,
France coach Philippe Saint-Andre
Both Saint-Andre and skipper
Thierry Dusautoir were extremely
performance after their 24-9 defeat
to Ireland at the Millennium
Stadium — the first time they have
lost to the Irish in a World Cup —
but know only too well they are not
out of it yet.
“New Zealand are favourites, but in
a game of rugby you never know,” said
Saint-Andre. “ What is important for
us is to stick together and to accept
that today we didn’t perform well.
We have to be ready for a huge, huge,
huge game against the All Blacks.”
He added: “Ireland deser ved to
win, so no, we don’t have a choice
of opponents. We know it ’s a tough
game but we’re not out of the
competition. We need to get the
spirit back and prepare to play much,
much better than we did today.”
Dusautoir, who scored a try in his
team’s famous quarter-final victory
over the All Blacks at the Millennium
Stadium eight years ago, just as he
did in the 8-7 defeat in the final at
Eden Park four years ago, looked like
a man keen for a challenge.
“I have played 11 or 12 times
against the All Blacks and not once
was I in the favourites, but that did
not stop France from beating them,”
“Last time in the World Cup we
were very close to beating them so
the most important thing first of all is
to digest the disappointment because
that ’s the main feeling tonight.”
Dusautoir, named man of the
match in the 2011 final before taking
out player of the tournament, said:
“ We’re extremely disappointed. At
halftime we were still able to win
because we were only down by three
points ... but then it ’s true that we did
not have enough continuity. There
were a lot of handling errors and we
were not good enough in the rucks.”
Asked if he would offer advice to
his team-mates about beating the All
Blacks in a World Cup, Dusautoir
said: “Every match is different. It was
a different context in 2007, a different
team. This team today has a different
history, a different experience ... we
don’t need always to look back at
what others did eight years ago.”
Saint-Andre added: “It was
extremely intense tonight. No one
was pretending, so we need time to
refresh mentally and physically and
then, you know, everything is always
possible. We have a big challenge,
perhaps the biggest challenge, in this
Ireland were well worth their win,
but face Argentina in the quarter-
final on Monday morning with
several players in doubt. Skipper
Paul O’Connell was taken off on
a stretcher with a hamstring tear,
blindside flanker Peter O’Mahony
was likewise with a knee or ankle
problem, and first-five Jonny Sexton
has an adductor injury.
Added to their problems is a
possible citing for outstanding
flanker Sean O’Brien for a possible
striking incident against France lock
Ireland coach Joe Schmidt said of
a possible citing and ban: “It ’s not
for me to determine. It ’s not a closed
fist. I’d be hopeful ... considering
the dressing room at the moment
with the amount of injuries we have,
we can ill afford to lose another
player, particularly a player of Sean’s
experience and standing in the
Stand-in skipper and No 8 Jamie
Heaslip said of the brutal match: “I
don’t know what it was like to look at
... but it felt like a dogfight at times;
a real slugfest between the two packs
and then it was blown right open
by both sets of backs playing some
expansive rugby. The ball was going
end to end at times.”
French say All Blacks favourites in ‘huge’ match
RUGBY WORLD CUP
Canterbury warmed up
for next weekend’s
lay-offs by showing just
why they finished on
top of the ITM Cup
ran in five tries to trump
Southland at AMI
Stadium, earning their
ninth victory and warming
up nicely for a semi-final
clash with Taranaki.
champions are the only
side to have trumped
Canterbury this season
and Taranaki’s defensive
record (175 points
conceded) is the only mark
to rival Scott Robertson’s
But Canterbury will
be tough to topple
after proving their
mental strength in a
testing encounter with
a Southland side who
finished outside of the
playoff places in the
The Stags withstood an
early barrage from the
home side, who stormed
in front through tries from
Ryan Crotty and Johnny
soaked up possession
before the break and, after
Dillan Halaholo and Mike
Molloy crossed, looked in
line to pull of an upset.
The scores were soon
level courtesy of a Lima
Sopoaga penalty but
a double from Rob
Thompson decided the
contest before Tom
Sanders added to the
Canterbury 39 (R.
Crotty, J. McNicholl, R.
Thompson 2, T. Sanders
tries; R. Mo’unga 2 pen,
4 cons). Southland 20
(D. Halaholo, M. Molloy
tries; L. Sopoaga 2 cons, 2
pens). Half-time: 20-17.
Canterbury trumps Southland
Bathurst (New South Wales)
Holden veteran Craig Lowndes has won
his sixth Bathurst 1000 title at Mount
Lowndes — with co-driver Steven
Richards — completed the epic 161-lap
enduro more than a second ahead of Ford’s
Mark Winterbottom and Steve O wen.
Holden’s Garth Tander and Warren Luff
It marked a record 13th Bathurst podium
for the 41-year-old L owndes, leap-
frogging fellow greats Peter Brock, Larry
Perkins and Jim Richards.
Lowndes last conquered the mountain in
He joins Perkins and Mark Skaife on six
Only Peter Brock (nine) and Jim
Richards (seven) have savoured more.
It was Steven Richards’ fourth Bathurst
However, defending V8 series champion
Jamie Whincup again left Mount
Panorama a frustrated man.
A second-placed Whincup was
sensationally dropped to the back of the
field with 20 laps left after being penalised
for overtaking a safety car.
His Red Bull team boss Roland Dane
accused Whincup of defying team orders
and remaining on the track instead of
pitting during the fateful fourth safety car
period after Ford’s Scott Pye crashed on
top of the mountain.
Twelve months ago Dane blamed
Whincup for ignoring team pleas to
conser ve fuel before the V8 star ran out of
petrol on the final lap while leading.
Whincup finished 18th.
He led by more than 30 seconds but
dramatically lost it during a lengthy pit
stop on lap 106 to address a throttle
Lowndes emerged with the lead in the
pit-lane frenzy that followed the fourth
and final safety car, setting up a final 20 lap
V8 series leader Winterbottom launched
a gutsy fightback after receiving two black
flag penalties following electrical problems
that disrupted his brake lights.
Winterbottom’s Prodrive Racing team,
winner of the last two Great Races.
They were already without their
defending champion Chaz Mostert after
his horror qualifying crash on Friday.
Mostert broke his wrist and leg in a crash
that also injured three track-side officials.
The Ford team then lost their Super
Black Racing duo of Andre Heimgartner
and Ant Pedersen after they hit the
Mountain Straight wall on lap 36.
Unbelievably they were almost another
team down after the all-female duo in their
garage hit the Forrest ’s Elbow wall on lap
Somehow the team got the first all
female team at Bathurst since 1998 —
Renee Gracie and Simona de Silvestro
— back out by the lap 55 deadline and
they completed the race, albeit in last place.
Old school V8 great Dick Johnson had
claimed they were a “million to one” to
finish their first Bathurst.
Five cars in the 26-strong field failed to
V8 Supercars said 201,416 packed
Mount Panorama over four days — the
second highest attendance.
Next round will be the Gold Coast 600
enduro, starting on October 23.
Lowndes claims Bathurst
PICTURE: Getty Images
Craig Lowndes and Steven Richards celebrate on the podium after winning the
Benji Marshall does not fit — at the
moment — with the new culture being
created within the Kiwis.
That is the view of Kiwis selector Tawera
Nikau, who said in the past “Benji was
probably more about Benji and not the team”.
The continued absence of the Dragons five-
eighth has been one of the major talking
points in the build-up to the England tour.
He has been in good form for St George and,
without Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran and
Thomas Leuluai, was New Zealand’s only
experienced playmaker in the halves.
But Marshall was not picked and, listening
to Nikau, it seems no matter who was injured,
there probably would not have been room for
the former Golden Boot.
“ We have invested and put time into the
young guys and they have thrived,” Nikau
told Newstalk ZB. “ They are starting to lead
the culture. The likes of Johnson, Issac Luke,
Jesse Bromwich, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tohu
Harris ... there is a whole new regime of
those young guys coming through who want
to play at that top level, who are committed,
and it ’s all about the team. ”
Nikau said that was not always the case.
“In the past, Benji was probably more about
Benji and not the team. There were a couple
of other guys in that team — Jared Waerea-
Hargreaves was one, Sonny-Bill Williams
“ We made some tough decisions over the
last couple of years and that ’s given us plenty
to think about but, if you look where we have
headed, it has made a huge impact.”
It is a startling revelation, although not
completely surprising. There were numerous
issues at the 2013 Rugby League World
Cup, which prompted a New Zealand Rugby
League review, and that squad was divided
into obvious cliques, particularly the large
Roosters contingent. There was no bad blood
but it was not a united team.
Marshall was not involved in that campaign
he had already made his ill-fated switch
to the Blues — but it was going to be hard
to rebuild the culture in the team with
him as part of it. He had been a dominant
presence for almost a decade and tended to
overshadow the team, especially with his huge
popularity among fans and media in
Nikau insists the door remains open.
Marshall adopted a more selfless approach in
his play this year and Nikau says there is no
bad blood between Kearney and his former
“I don’t think it is a falling out. I think
Stephen is too professional for that,” said
Nikau. “Stephen has spoken to Benji around
why he was not selected for this tour. There is
“It ’s been the position of the selectors
over the last couple of years. We have
put time into the young guys and we are
reaping the rewards. You have to give them
The Kiwis suffered another blow with Jason
Taumalolo pulling out of the tour, replaced
by Tigers hooker Manaia Cherrington.
Taumalolo was named in the team on
Thursday, despite speculation he may
need knee surgery. Kearney did not seem
convinced at the time, but admitted he had
been unable to contact Taumalolo.
“Jason has had a wonderful year, but holding
him out of this tour will probably benefit him
and us long-term,” Kearney said.
Cherrington looks a good prospect. The
21-year-old captained the Junior Kiwis to
victory over the Junior Kangaroos last year
and was named in the 2014 Holden Cup
team of the year. He made his first-grade
debut for Wests Tigers in June, eventually
making 11 NRL appearances, and is seen
as the long-term successor to Robbie Farah.
— NZME -New Zealand Herald
Kiwis selector reveals why
Marshall was not picked
Links Archive October 10th 2015 October 13th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page