Home' Greymouth Star : October 15th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Thursday, October 15, 2015
Boy, 12, on Australian police terror watch list
A 14-year-old boy has been arrested
in Mexico for killing a man after he was
allegedly contacted on Facebook and
offered $US1900 ($2792) to commit the
crime, authorities said.
Prosecutors said the minor was caught
on Saturday as he tried to flee the scene
of the crime in the north-western city of
Tijuana, which borders California.
“The child said that he was contacted
by a person via Facebook,” Miguel
Angel Guerrero, a special investigations
co-ordinator in the Baja California
State prosecutor’s office, told reporters
The person offered the boy 31,000
pesos to kill someone, Guerrero said.
The child told investigators that he
agreed to meet the person at one of the
city’s main roads.
A taxi took him to a neighbourhood
known for its bars and drug dealing
where “they gave him a weapon and they
pointed to the person he had to kill”,
The boy got out of the taxi, walked over
to the 35-year-old victim and shot him
in the head with a .40-calibre gun, the
City police caught the child as he fled
and he was handed over to a juvenile
Authorities released a picture of the
boy with his face blurred out. He has
dark hair and wears a white shirt with
red and blue stripes.
Mexican drug cartels are known to
recruit minors to work as “halcones”
(hawks), or lookouts, to warn them
about the movements of security forces
or suspicious people.
But there have been some cases of
children committing violent crimes.
In March, a 13-year-old boy was
arrested in the northern industrial hub
of Monterrey in possession of an AK-47
rifle, a pistol, ammunition and drugs.
In December 2010, authorities arrested
a American-born 14-year-old who was
later convicted of working as a hitman
for a drug gang. He admitted to killing
four people, in a case that shocked
Mexico. — AFP
Boy, 14, held
gun for hire
Author Jean-Yves Ferri, right, and illustrator Didier Conrad pose with the cover of their new comic book Le Papyrus de Cesar (Asterix and the
Asterix and Obelix are back in
a new edition of the famed comic
book, this time fighting their
Roman foes in a propaganda war
alongside a character inspired by
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
Two years after Asterix and the
Picts saw the duo head to ancient
Scotland, the Gauls are back home
for their latest adventure as a tribe
resisting Roman occupation, the
36th book in the hugely popular
Asterix and the Missing Scroll is
the second book by writer Jean-
Yves Ferri and illustrator Didier
Conrad, who took over from
original co-creators Albert Uderzo
and Rene Goscinny.
“The central theme is really
information and the control of
information and the dramatic
notion that surrounds this,”
cartoonist Conrad said.
Ferri and Conrad said several new
characters had been inspired by real
people, such as Jacques Seguela,
publicist and image adviser to
former French President Francois
“ We thought about which public
figure from our time can inspire us,
and for Caesar’s adviser, we quickly
thought of Jacques Seguela,” Ferri
“This is not a physical caricature,
it ’s rather this type of character . . .
the adviser in the shadows. ”
The other new addition is a
journalist, inspired by Assange,
whose anti-secrecy group’s
publication of classified military
and diplomatic documents in 2010
was one of the largest information
leaks in United States history.
“It was more Didier who wished
for the character to physically look
a bit like Assange even if we can’t
really say it’s him, but it’s this type
of character,” Ferri added.
The Asterix comics books, created
in 1959, have sold more than 350
million copies worldwide. Asterix
and the Missing Scroll will be
released on October 22. — Reuters
Assange inspires new Asterix comic character
says he is “shocked” a 12-year-old
has come to the notice of counter-
The boy is listed on a federal court
order imposed on a man who’s been
prohibited from communicating with
a number of other persons of interest,
including an 18-year-old currently
held in relation to the death of New
South Wales police employee Curtis
“ We’re shocked that a 12-year-old
is on police radar for these types of
matters,” Colvin said yesterday.
“This threat has evolved, it ’s become
younger. We saw the very tragic
events in Parramatta a week and a half
ago that involved a 15-year-old and I
think that ’s the most shocking part.”
Justice Minister Michael Keenan
said it was a terrible situation.
“ Unfortunately there is a barbaric
terrorist organisation in the Middle
East that are reaching out through
social media to our young people,” he
told Nine Network on Thursday.
“ We have seen this trend of them
reaching out to people in their 20s,
then their late teens.
“Now we find people in their early
teens and the government is very
shocked about these matters.”
Keenan declined to say how many
children in Australia under the age of
14 were on watchlists.
“I do not think it is appropriate for
me to go into that,” he said.
Federal Labor frontbencher Tony
Burke was shocked by the revelations.
“ You can’t contemplate how this is
true . . . (or) how the family must feel,”
Mr Burke said today.
Ahmad Saiyer Naizmand from
communicating with 18 males,
including the 12-year-old and the
NSW police accountant and father
of two Curtis Cheng was shot dead by
Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar, 15,
on October 2 as he left the Parramatta
police headquarters for the weekend.
The teenager was later shot dead by
a special constable.
A candlelight vigil for Cheng was
held last night outside the Parramatta
office. — AAP
Billy the Kid, the Wild West
gunslinger, is usually associated
with a Colt single-action .44,
not the genteel elegance of a
varnished oak croquet mallet.
However, a photograph of the
legendary outlaw leaning on a
croquet mallet has emerged —
only the second known photo of
“The Kid”, whose real name was
The photo shows McCarty
playing croquet with his gang of
Lincoln County Regulators in
It was bought by collector
Randy Guijarro for $US2 ($3)
from a Californian junk shop
in 2010 and will now be sold
by Kagin’s auctioneers for an
estimated $5 million
“ When we first saw
the photograph, we were
understandably sceptical — an
original Billy the Kid photo is the
holy grail of Western Americana,”
Kagin’s David McCarthy said.
“A team of experts had to be
assembled to address each and
every detail in the photo to ensure
that nothing was out of place.”
The only other known
photograph of McCarty was sold
for $1.4m ($3.2m) in June 2011.
The Kid was shot dead at age 22
by lawman Pat Garrett in 1881.
Billy the Kid, gunslinger . . . and croquet player
Billy the Kid, left, playing a croquet match.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen
Harper overnight defended an election
advertisement that claimed his main rival
wanted to set up brothels — the latest in
a series of hard-hitting commercials that
have marked the campaign.
Harper’s Conser vatives, trailing in
the run-up to the October 19 election,
are running newspaper adverts aimed
at ethnic communities that claim the
opposition Liberals want to legalise
prostitution and open brothels, and
also make it easier to sell marijuana to
The Liberals deny they have any such
plans, but Harper said the ads were
justified and dismissed the suggestion
the Conser vatives were fear-mongering.
“The other guys will claim it ’s fear when
all we’re trying to do is draw attention
to facts — facts that they’re actually not
willing to talk about,” he said.
Conser vative officials, asked about
the brothel claims, say Liberal leader
Justin Trudeau once voted against a
proposed law aimed at clamping down
“I think it ’s up to Mr Harper to explain
why he’s choosing to mislead Canadians
about me,” Trudeau told reporters.
Ethnic communities are an important
source of voters and it is no coincidence
that the Liberals are running newspaper
ads warning new Canadians that the
government could strip them of their
citizenship. The Conser vatives say
this applies only to those convicted of
The New Democrats, the largest
opposition party, started the campaign
with an ad showing how many Harper
appointees had ended up in trouble
with the law. It ends with a shot of
Harper ’s former parliamentary secretary
in shackles after his conviction for
violations in the last campaign.
Michael Mulvey, a marketing professor
at the University of Ottawa, said attacks
ads were important because of their
focus on swing voters.
“ People who are firmly entrenched . . .
they ’re not going anywhere,” he said in a
phone inter view.
Perhaps the most uncompromising
ad was one run by the tiny separatist
Bloc Q uebecois, which said NDP
leader Thomas Mulcair wanted to flood
the province of Quebec with Muslim
women who wear face veils.
Mulcair defends the right of Muslims
to wear face coverings during citizenship
ceremonies, a stance that is unpopular
with voters. In response to the ad,
Mulcair aide Karl Belanger tweeted that
the “National Front has just entered the
campaign” — a reference to France’s far-
right party. — Reuters
Santa Claus elected to
North Pole council
Dell announced it has reached a deal to
acquire cloud-computing giant EMC for
$US67 billion — the largest acquisition
in the history of the technology industry.
The deal signals that Dell believes it
is best to go big at a time when many
older technology firms such as Hewlett-
Packard are paring down and becoming
smaller, nimbler companies. Traditionally
known as a maker of personal PCs, Dell
has more recently set its ambitions
on the high-tech business world and
portrayed itself as an all-in-one provider
of equipment and ser vices.
Dell and equity firm Silver Lake
Partners buying EMC, a major data-
storage company, broadens its appeal to
those lucrative corporate customers.
“O ur new company will be exceptionally
well-positioned for growth in the
most strategic areas of next-generation
IT, including digital transformation,
software-defined data centre, converged
infrastructure, hybrid cloud, mobile and
security,” Michael Dell, co-founder and
chief executive of the company that bears
his name, said. The EMC transaction is
expected to close in the “middle of next
year,” executives said. — AP
Dell buys EMC
in huge tech deal
A man with a soft white beard
who prides himself on being an
advocate for young children has
been elected as a city councilman
in North Pole, Alaska.
The rosy-cheeked 68-year-old
candidate, who happens to be
named Santa Claus, won a three-
year term in the community
of about 2200 residents south-
east of Fairbanks, according to
election results released yesterday.
“ My thanks to everyone who
supported my campaign,” Claus
wrote on Facebook. “I ’ll do my
best for all!”
Claus, who legally changed
his name from Thomas Patrick
O’Connor about a decade ago
while living in Nevada, said he has
been an advocate for legislation
and services that benefit at-risk
children. He could be seen in
recent days wearing his trademark
red velvet outfit and holding a
campaign sign in North Pole,
the namesake of the home of the
legendary Christmas gift-giver.
Claus was one of two write-in
candidates for two vacant seats in
the October 6 election. He will
take office on October 26, North
Pole city clerk Kathy Weber said.
Canadian PM defends scaremongering advert
Israel has set up checkpoints in
Palestinian neighbourhoods of east
Jerusalem and mobilised hundreds of
soldiers as it struggles to stop attacks
that have raised fears of a full-blown
Hours after the first roadblocks were
erected overnight, two more knife
attacks shook Jerusalem, one outside the
Old City and another near the crowded
central bus station during rush hour.
In his first address since the violence
began, Palestinian president Mahmud
Abbas said in televised remarks that
he supported “peaceful and popular”
struggle against Israel.
The first of the overnight attacks
occurred when a man, reportedly a
20-year-old from the West Bank city of
Hebron, tried to stab a security guard at
an entrance to the Old City but was shot
dead before harming anyone.
The other saw a 23-year-old Palestinian
stab and moderately wound a woman
of about 70 before being shot dead by
The attack sparked panic among
With Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu under immense pressure
to halt the violence and frustrated
Palestinian youths defying attempts
to restore calm, police said 300 Israeli
soldiers were joining their patrols.
The government also announced
further drastic measures, including
easing firearms laws for Israelis and
stripping alleged attackers from east
Jerusalem of their residency permits.
In Washington, a spokesman said
United States Secretary of State John
Kerry planned to travel to the Middle
East soon to seek a return to calm
between the sides.
A wave of mainly stabbing attacks by
Palestinians has spread fear in Israel,
while a gun-and-knife attack on a
Jerusalem bus yesterday killed two
people and led to outrage among Israelis.
A third Israeli was killed in Jerusalem
yesterday when a Palestinian attacker
rammed his car into pedestrians then
got out and attacked bystanders with a
knife, making it the city’s bloodiest day
in the current wave of unrest.
All three attackers in the two incidents
were from east Jerusalem, and two were
The move to install checkpoints
followed a decision by Netanyahu’s
security cabinet authorising police to
seal off or impose a curfew on parts of
The upsurge in violence that began on
October 1 has led some to warn of the
risk of a third Palestinian intifada, or
Seven Israelis have been killed and
At least 30 Palestinians have died,
including alleged attackers, some of
them teenagers. Hundreds have been
wounded in clashes with Israeli security
While the stabbing and gun attacks
have fanned Israeli anger and fear, video
footage shared online of security forces
shooting dead alleged attackers has fed
Palestinian anger, with protesters seeing
some of the killings as unjustified.
Overnight, video purported to be of the
attacker being shot while on the ground
outside Jerusalem’s Old City spread on
At the funeral for 28-year-old
Moataz Zawahra, killed the previous
day in clashes in the West Bank city
of Bethlehem, youths with their faces
covered in red keffiyeh headscar ves
carried his body and called him a
Clashes broke out after the funeral,
with youths throwing stones and
firebombs and Israeli forces responding
with teargas and rubber bullets — a daily
occurrence in parts of the occupied West
Bank in the past two weeks. — AFP
Dozens of writers have returned
India’s highest literary honour to protest
what they call a growing climate of
intolerance in the country since Prime
Minister Narendra Modi’s government
As of yesterday, 41 novelists, essayists,
playwrights and poets had returned
the awards they received from India’s
prestigious literary academy, saying they
cannot remain silent about numerous
incidents of communal violence or
attacks on intellectuals across the
country over the past year.
The writers, who write in English
as well as regional languages, are also
angry that India’s National Academy of
Letters has said little about the attack on
the well-known rationalist Malleshappa
Kalburgi, an award-winning writer in
the Kannada language gunned down
in August for his writings against
superstition and false beliefs.
Internationally renowned novelist
Salman Rushdie, who was born in
Mumbai, has come out strongly in
support of the Indian writers, saying the
government ’s silence is allowing a new
“degree of thuggish violence” in India.
The government has dismissed the
writers’ protests, questioning their
motives and accusing them of being
“If they say they are unable to write,
let them stop writing,” Mahesh Sharma,
India’s minister for culture, told reporters,
further aggravating the writers.
What has angered the writers is the
growing climate of intolerance and the
curbs on free speech to which they say
they cannot remain mute spectators.
“It’s become a question of an
individual’s right to speak, to think, to
write, to eat, to dress, to debate,” said
Maya Krishna Rao, a playwright and
theatre actress, who returned her award
to the academy this week. — AP
Indian writers return
awards in protest
Woman, baby drown
after refugee boat sinks
A woman, a young girl and a baby have
died after a boat carrying migrants and
refugees to the Greek island of Lesbos
sank, the ministry of shipping said.
The three victims’ bodies were found
by divers under the capsized vessel, the
The Greek coastguard had launched a
search and rescue operation, aided by a
helicopter of European border agency
Frontex, after a Turkish patrol raised the
The ministry said 21 other migrants
had been on board the boat sailing from
Turkey ’s shores to Lesbos, and they
reported three passengers had gone
It was unclear whether the three
victims were related, nor was there any
information about their nationalities.
The sur vivors were taken back to
The three latest deaths in the narrow
crossing from Turkey to Greece come
after a one-year-old boy died off the
coast of Lesbos last Friday.
The International Organisation for
Migration says more than 590,000
refugees and migrants have reached
Europe’s shores since January, while
more than 3000 have died or gone
More than 450,000 of the total have
arrived in Greece.
Athens and the United Nations
refugee agency have both called on the
European Union to open up more legal
channels for refugees desperately fleeing
war and persecution, so that they do not
have to risk their lives in order to reach
safety. — AFP
Aust chicken attempts
tweeting world record
Chickens tweet all the time right?
Wrong. At least not the kind of tweeting
that involves 140 characters and the
A Perth chicken named Betty is
preparing to become the first of its
species to send a tweet across the
In a world first, Betty the tweeting
chook will be beak to keyboard in a bid
to tweet out an actual word.
The Guinness Book of World Records
is poised to recognise it as the “First
Chicken to Send a Tweet ” if it manages
to send a five-letter tweet in English
within 30 days.
Betty has a keyboard in her pen, but
her dexterity has so far left much to be
desired, with Twitter contributions such
as “A$%Gbj”, “aslffawe” and “fa*hh/”.
Links Archive October 14th 2015 October 17th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page