Home' Greymouth Star : November 5th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, November 5, 2015 - 3
An award-winning entertainer has
been accused of sex offences against
four women. The man, in his 40s,
appeared in the Auckland District
Court yesterday where he denied
four counts of indecent assault and
two of sexual violation. The latter
charges carry a maximum penalty
of up to 20 years in jail. Court staff
confirmed there was a suppression
order but refused to disclose details.
The defendant will be back in court
in January. — NZME
Armed man sought
A man, considered to be armed
and dangerous, is being sought by
police investigating a serious assault
in Hamilton last night. The domestic
assault happened in the Fairview
Downs area about 8pm, police said.
He was described as being of Indian
descent, and may be driving an
orange Nissan Serena van, with the
registration JDA146. — N Z ME
Arrests over bashing
Three teens have been arrested
after a visitor was bashed and
robbed in Christchurch on Tuesday.
The 27-year-old Turkish man, on
a working holiday, was allegedly
befriended by three males youths —
New Brighton beach, near the pier,
about 7pm. Police said the victim
was taken to the beach where he
was assaulted and had his wallet
and cellphone stolen. He suffered
cuts, grazes and bruises to his knees,
hands, face and head. The youths
are due in the Christchurch District
Court later this week. — N Z ME
Thousands of objectionable images
of children, videos showing children
in sexual acts, and videos and
movies showing bestiality, brought
a 60-year-old man to the Dunedin
District Court yesterday. Stephen
John Ferguson had accepted a
sentencing indication last month
and admitted 25 charges from a
Films Videos and Publications
Classification Act search at his
house on September 3 last year.
He was sentenced to eight months’
home detention. Judge John
Macdonald refused an application
for suppression of Ferguson’s name.
— Otago Daily Times
One Lotto winner
One ticket, sold in Dunedin, won
$1 million in division one of Lotto
draw No 1487 last night. Successful
numbers were 10, 14, 17, 18, 37, 38;
bonus 11. Strike numbers were 14,
18, 38, 37. There was no Strike Four
winner. Powerball number 2. There
was no division one winner.
Numbers in Keno draw No 11876:
53, 57, 62, 64, 67, 68, 70, 71. Draw No
11877: 3, 7, 8, 15, 16, 19, 25, 26, 28,
30, 31, 35, 40, 42, 44, 48, 58, 63, 64, 74.
Draw No 11878: 1, 2, 11, 15, 16, 17,
18, 21, 25, 26, 35, 39, 41, 47, 57, 68, 75,
77, 78, 80. Draw No 11879: 6, 8, 10,
12, 19, 23, 29, 36, 40, 43, 51, 56, 57, 61,
62, 63, 65, 71, 75, 78.
Surprise rise in jobless rate
Divers will today examine the
wreck of a mystery yacht found
on the sea floor of the Picton
The roughly 10m long wreck
is thought to be the Sioux — an
uninsured $150,000 vessel which
went missing five years ago.
Police said the wreck was found
near the entrance to the harbour
during a Defence Force training
exercise on Friday.
The police launch Lady
Elizabeth III and members of
the police national dive squad
have arrived in Picton and are
preparing to dive to the wreck.
The first dive was expected to
take place early this afternoon,
police spokeswoman Barbara
“ Divers will live stream video of
the wreck to police on the launch
and it is hoped this will identify
the vessel,” she said.
The Sioux broke free from its
mooring in Waikawa Bay during
stormy weather in June 2010.
Shortly after its disappearance,
yacht rigging was reported in
the water near where the wreck
has been found, but police were
unable to locate the rigging at the
Police have been in contact
with the Sioux’s owner, Rangiora
man Paul Sugrue, who offered
a $5000 reward for information
leading to the yacht ’s recovery in
It is understood the newly-
found wreck has been under water
for about five to 10 years.
Police would not be drawn
on whether the wreck could be
connected with the high-profile
disappearance of Olivia Hope
and Ben Smart in 1998.
Ms Dunn yesterday said she
could not comment.
“ We wouldn’t even speculate on
anything like that,” she said.
Witnesses to the last sighting of
Ben Smart and Olivia Hope gave
descriptions of them boarding
a “distinctive class ketch, with
two masts, about 12-13m, with
a white and blue hull with round
A boat matching the description
was never found by police.
Scott Watson was convicted for
the murders of Smart and Hope
and is currently ser ving a life
sunk yacht found in Gisborne
Harbour in 2000, was linked to
the pair’s disappearance by those
who believe Watson is innocent
of their murders. — N ZM E
The Law Society says it is
worried about a “ very serious”
security breach involving a
member of the public gallery
allegedly throwing a cellphone at
a prosecutor’s head during a bail
The Crown prosecutor was
reportedly concussed and the
cellphone broke on impact
during the incident in Nelson on
“The freedom of lawyers to
appear in court and to participate
in our justice system without the
fear that they will be assaulted or
injured is extremely important,”
Law Society vice-president Mark
“ We do not blame court security
staff, who we know carry out
an important and demanding
job well. However, any serious
incident such as this must be
followed with a comprehensive
reassessment of security levels
He said a security review was
“The Law Society extends its
fullest sympathy and support to
the lawyer involved.
“ We wish her well as she
recovers,” Mr Wilton said.
Courtroom assault leaves
unexpectedly fell for the first time in
three years in the third quarter, driven
by a decline in part-time workers, and
the participation rate declined further
from a record high.
Employment fell 0.4% in the three
months ended September 30, for an
annual gain of 1.5%, Statistics New
Zealand said. The participation rate
fell to 68.6% from 69.3% . The dollar
fell to US66.52c, compared to 67.05c
immediately before the release.
Employment growth had been
expected to grow 0.4% in the latest
quarter, according to a Reuters
sur vey, while the participation rate
was expected to hold at 69.3% .
The government data did confirm
expectations for an increase in the
unemployment rate to 6% from 5.9%,
which both the central bank and the
market had expected.
The Government Statistician did not
have a breakdown by industry of the
drop in employment in the quarter.
The figures showed part-time jobs
fell 4.1% in the quarter, amounting
to about 28,700 positions. Part-time
positions tend to be seasonal and
volatile. Total employment fell to
2.33 million from 2.35 million.
34,000 people in the year, which
was attributed to demand in the
construction industry, which added
20,500 jobs. Auckland contributed
the biggest share of that, adding
14,700 jobs, while in Canterbury,
there were 5000 more jobs. Yet in
both regions, employment growth
slowed. Auckland’s growth rate was
1.5%, down from 3.9% in the June
year, while Canterbury’s slowed to
The employment figures come after
a sur vey showed businesses turned
positive on the economic outlook
and are more willing to hire workers,
following a sharp deterioration of
sentiment mid-year, when dairy
prices plunged and before the recent
partial global price recovery. The
ANZ business outlook showed those
firms planning to hire staff rose to a
net 12% in October from 3% a month
earlier. However, workers turned
pessimistic in the third quarter,
with fewer expecting a pay rise in a
labour market where more people
are looking for a job, based on the
Westpac McDermott Miller sur vey.
Yet there were job losses as well,
in sectors facing tougher conditions,
such as the dairy sector. In September,
announced 227 job losses, adding to
523 laid off in July. Westland Milk
also flagged potential lay-offs that
month to cut costs in the face of the
global slump in dairy prices.
Wage inflation was 0.4% in the
quarter for an unchanged annual rate
of 1.6%, based on the labour cost
index. Private sector wages rose 0.4%
in the quarter and 1.7% in the year,
outpacing a 0.3% quarterly increase
for the public sector for an annual
The quarterly employment sur vey
showed average weekly ordinary time
paid hours were unchanged in the
quarter and rose 0.7% in the year.
Statistics NZ indicated the
unemployment rate could have been
worse if more people were actually
looking for jobs — those that were
not did not count towards it.
Westpac senior economist Satish
Ranchhod blamed the state of the
economy for those people who he said
were not even trying to get jobs.
“ I think what we have seen over the
past year is a softening in economic
activity,” he said.
“That has through to softer
confidence amongst households and
business and it does seem to have
passed through into fewer people
looking for work, particularly among
older New Zealanders.”
The construction and retail sectors
remained strong job creators but there
were losses in the financial, transport
and business ser vices sectors, Mr
“Over the coming year, the
economy is going to face some pretty
significant headwinds and it ’s likely
we’ ll see the unemployment push
The number of people in work had
been growing by 3% a year in the year
The drop in the past three
months, however, has pulled annual
employment growth down to just
1.5% in the year to Septermber.
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm November 4, 2015
a2 Milk Company
76 –1 1428
280.5 +0.5 22.68
ANZ Banking Gr
2935 +5 18.98
– 0.5 2.50
Auckland Intl Airpt
547 –8 4.69
511 +1 21.34
599 –1 0.75
1350 –10 4.26
807 –2 52.21
752 +1 307.5
Fonterra Share Fund
535 +1 6.85
605 +3 16.11
189.5 +0.5 69 .83
Goodman Prop Tr
121 +0.5 102.5
127 +1 54.76
314 +0.5 88 .38
Kiwi Property Gr
137 +1 24.08
221 +1 26.18
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
98 +1 10.50
Orion Health Gr
43 –1 4.00
1840 +5 7.11
125 +1 105.8
Prop For Industry
157 +1 17.69
Sky Network TV
407 –1 277 .0
340 –4 456.4
Steel & Tube
278 +4 18.70
Summerset Gr Hldgs
Trade Me Gr
330 –4 7.59
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
1820 +45 2.62
670 –5 8.45
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, November 5, 2015
DECLINERS: 23 TRADED: 96
Aluminium High Grade
Hundreds of people were evacuated
from central Wellington office towers
after a fire sparked by workmen on
a roof sent thick smoke billowing
through the capital.
The fire at Pastoral House on The
Terrace also brought traffic to a
standstill as fire crews rushed to the
Emergency ser vices received calls
about the fire from about 10.25am.
Fire Ser vice area commander David
Key said the fire was on the 14th floor
roof of Pastoral House, which houses
the Ministry for Primary Industries.
“ Workmen were gas axing out an
old water tank, or something like that,
which caught fire,” Mr Key said.
“The fire has been put out and the
subsequent alarms are basically from
the buildings either side where the
smoke from the initial fire has drifted
into the air conditioning system,
gone through the building and set off
Three buildings were evacuated —
Pastoral House, The Treasury building,
and Prime Property Tower on
Lambton Quay, whose tenants include
Mr Key said office workers were
allowed back into their buildings.
“The fire is now out, contained where
it started,” he said just before noon.
A witness at the scene said thick
smoke was seen billowing down The
Terrace. The road was blocked for
some time, with traffic building up.
Treasury employee Kirsten Jensen
said she had seen lots of smoke on top
of Prime Property Tower.
“ I could see black smoke coming
from the top of the building,” she said.
“ We were evacuated soon after that.”
Fire forces hundreds from offices
Smoke from the fire at Pastoral House, which houses the Ministry for
Primary Industries, shrouds a street in Wellington.
On November 1, 1961, 16-year-old
John Tiddy started working at Pukeuri
freezing works as a “string boy ” on the
end of the chain.
Last Friday — almost 54 years to the
day — the 70-year-old walked out the
freezing works door for the last time,
having become the longest ser ving
employee in the Alliance plant ’s 101-
In his first two years, he made, with
overtime, about £1200 a year, about
£100 more than his father made in his
“And I was only 161⁄2,” Mr Tiddy
After working at stringing for two
years, he moved on to the sticking pen
and then dagging at the end of the
A few years later, he took a job as a
“ We were there for the farmers.
“ We were grading lambs for the
farmers and if we saw things that
were wrong, I was never afraid to say
something. I never, with the New
Zealand Meat Board, hesitated in
speaking my mind when I thought
things were wrong.”
In 1967, he was made a salaried
He soon moved his way up to second-
in-command and eventually became
super vising grader for the cooling floor,
grading and chillers, a job he held until
He then worked in the ser vices store
and found it a change of pace after so
long as a grader, but said he was ready
for a change and enjoyed the transition.
For the past 10 years, he had spent
his mornings unpacking everything
that comes in by freight and recording
He also took on responsibility for
distributing inward goods, such as items
for tradesmen, or goods, such as knives,
gumboots, pouches and steels, for the
plant ’s various departments.
Despite half a century of early starts
and long, hard days, Mr Tiddy said he
enjoyed his time at the freezing works.
He had seen various changes at the
plant in 54 years, most notably, new
technology and stricter health and safety
In retirement, he planned to spend
more time fishing and catching up on
jobs around the house. Travel was also
on the agenda. He and wife Sally owned
a home in the Philippines, where they
would spend at least six weeks each year.
Plant manager Geoff Proctor said Mr
Tiddy would be “well missed” at the
Mr Tiddy was one of Mr Proctor’s
first super visors when he became a meat
grader, at age 21.
“He was my boss originally . . . he
trained us all up.” — Otago Daily Times
John calls it a day after 54 years
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Alliance Pukeuri plant ’s longest-ser ving employee John Tiddy retired on
Friday, after working at the freezing works for 54 years.
SIS failed to tell
of sur veillance
domestic spying agency
twice failed to tell the
intelligence watchdog that
it was undertaking visual
sur veillance, the Inspector
General of Intelligence and
Green Party co-leader
James Shaw said the
Ser vice (SIS) had broken
the law both times and
its powers needed to be
Under the controversial
counter-terror law changes
passed in December, the
agency was given powers
sur veillance of private
activity within private
property if it suspected
It was required to provide
a copy of any visual
sur veillance warrant to
the Inspector-General of
Intelligence and Security
(IGIS) Cheryl Gwyn as soon as possible.
The IGIS released her annual report
It showed that since the law was passed
in December, the SIS had twice applied
for visual sur veillance warrants.
The report said on both occasions the
SIS did not initially provide a copy of
the warrants to Ms Gwyn’s office.
They were identified later when the
IGIS carried out its regular review of all
of the SIS’s warrants.
In response to the “incident ”, the
annual report said, the SIS had changed
its protocols to ensure the IGIS was
provided with a warrant the day it was
Mr Shaw said the Greens had opposed
the extension of the SIS’s powers when
they were being passed into law because
its spies had a history of breaking the
“That is what has happened yet again,”
“The SIS was given extra powers of
video sur veillance which it has used
twice, and both times have been found
to have broken the law. At the very least,
these new powers have to go.”
Mr Shaw said the SIS needed proper
oversight by a democratically-elected
Parliamentary select committee.
The law changes also allowed the SIS
to undertake sur veillance
without a warrant in
special, urgent cases, for up
to 24 hours.
This power had not yet
been used by the agency,
the annual report showed.
Minister for the SIS Chris
Finlayson said the SIS was
“a human organisation” and
there were “always going to
The SIS was improving
its compliance overall but
“they still have a way to
Mr Finlayson said he
spoken to the agency “in
no uncertain terms” about
The minister said the
IGIS’s findings also showed
the spying watchdog was
not toothless — contrary
to claims from Opposition
MPs who said the agency
Ms Gwyn also revealed
in the annual report that
she had begun an inquiry
into whether New Zealand’s intelligence
agencies had any connection to the
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
detention and interrogation programme.
The US Senate Committee last
year published findings on torture
and inhumane treatment by the CIA
between 2001 and 2009.
The report identified other countries
involved in the CIA programme but
these were redacted in the report.
Ms Gwyn said there was a public
interest in investigating whether
New Zealand spies knew of, or were
connected to the activities uncovered in
the US Senate Committee report. She
said her initiation of an inquiry did not
presuppose New Zealand involvement
in the interrogation activities.
Mr Finlayson was asked whether he
knew of any New Zealand connection to
the CIA’s programme.
He did not respond to the question,
saying that he would wait for the
outcome of Ms Gwyn’s inquiry.
SIS director Rebecca Kitteridge said
she was disappointed the agency did not
provide a copy of the warrants “as soon
“As the IGIS report notes, we now
have an agreed process for managing this
notification,” she said.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Divers to examine wreck
The wreck of the yacht on the Picton Harbour seabed.
Woman critical after
truck, car collide
A 25-year-old-woman is in a
critical condition after the car she
was driving and a logging truck
collided in the central North
The woman sustained head
and abdominal injuries and was
rushed to Waikato Hospital by
the Westpac rescue helicopter.
Police were called to the scene,
on State highway 1 close to the
State highway 30 turn-off, near
Atiamuri, at 4.50am.
It is understood the driver of
the truck was unhurt.
In a separate crash, a truck and
trailer rolled near a roundabout
connecting State highway 1 and
State highway 5 in Tirau.
The driver suffered moderate
A police spokesman said that
power lines were lying across the
On State highway 3 at 4.30pm
yesterday, a two-car collision
near Pio Pio left a 50-year-old
New Plymouth man and his wife
Both patients were flown to
Then at 6pm yesterday, a car
carrying a Te Kuiti family of five
crashed down an embankment
Injuries suffered by the family
members ranged from minor to
The Waikato Westpac rescue
helicopter took a 46-year-old
and two 19-year-olds to Waikato
— N Z ME-New Zealand Herald
A car crashed on the scenic Rimutaka
Hill Road north of Wellington today.
Fire Central Communications said
one car had crashed but it did not appear
anyone was trapped in the vehicle.
Police and ambulance personnel were
also at the scene at 7.50am.
Twitter user Dan Hammond said the
crash happened in the northbound lane,
on the road near the Hutt Valley.
Car crash on Rimutaka Hill Road
Links Archive November 4th 2015 November 6th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page