Home' Greymouth Star : November 5th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, November 5, 2015 - 7
Rescue workers carry out an injured man after a factory collapsed near the eastern city of Lahore.
18 dead, scores trapped after factory collapses
At least 18 people were killed
and up to 150 trapped overnight
when a factory collapsed near the
eastern Pakistani city of Lahore,
officials said, adding to a number
of industrial disasters to hit the
South Asian nation.
Rescue workers digging for
sur vivors with construction
equipment have recovered
40 injured people so far, an
information officer with Edhi
Rescue Ser vices, Mohammed
Younis Bhatti, said.
About 150 people were feared
trapped under the rubble after
the building collapsed, rescue
worker Kashif Nazir said at the
The military was flying urban
search and rescue teams to the
scene, a military spokesman said
in a text message.
“Army engineers have been
immediately moved for the
rescue operation,” the message
The factory, located at an
industrial site about 20km
south of the city, manufactured
shopping bags. It was not clear
what caused the collapse, though
construction work had been
going on there.
Ten bodies have been recovered
from the site, said Muhammad
Usman, a senior local government
Pakistan’s construction sector
suffers from poor oversight
and developers frequently flout
In September 2012, 289 people
burned to death in a fire at a
garment factory in the southern
city of Karachi. On the same day,
a fire at a shoe factory in Lahore
killed 25. — Reuters
A man was stabbed to death by
a stranger in a street following a
row over 50c, a court has been
The Brisbane Supreme Court
heard an audio recording from
the harrowing emergency call
made to police as Mark Hennings
was stabbed through his heart on
December 17, 2012, as he walked
home with his partner.
Jamie Lloyd Murray, 21, has
admitted killing the 49-year-old
in Bluebell Park at Caboolture
but pleaded not guilty to murder
on the first day of his trial
The court heard Murray first
approached the couple demanding
50c as they walked home from the
pub and became violent when the
After Mr Hennings’ partner
Joanna Mansfield gave Murray
the change in a bid to diffuse the
argument he fled the scene.
But only minutes later he again
approached the couple armed with
The jury heard the urgent triple-
zero call Mansfield made to police
and the agonising moment she
realises her boyfriend has been
She is heard hysterically
screaming as she pleads with
Murray to “f— off ” before telling
police, “My boyfriend’s been
stabbed by an Aboriginal man”.
“I was on the phone and
asking for an ambulance because
(Murray) took off and Mark was
standing there clutching his chest
and he fell to the ground and said
he’d been stabbed,” Mansfield told
Meredith said Murray intended to
murder or inflict life threatening
injuries on Hennings when he
stabbed him in the chest and
denied that racial slurs were made
But defence lawyer Stephen
Courtney claimed Murray “lost
control” after being provoked by
racially abusive language during
the stabbing and did not intend to
kill Hennings. — AAP
Queensland man ‘killed over 50c’
The cause of a Russian plane crash in Egypt
is looking more like an explosion but it is not
clear whether it was linked to fuel or engine
trouble or a bomb, an Egyptian source close to
the investigation said overnight.
The Airbus A321M crashed on Sunday
shortly after taking off from the resort of Sharm
el-Sheikh on its way to the Russian city of St
Petersburg, killing all 224 people on board.
“It is believed to be an explosion but what kind
is not clear. There is an examination of the sand
at the crash site to try to determine if it was
a bomb,” the source, who is close to the team
investigating the black boxes, said.
“There are forensic investigations under way
at the crash site. That will help determine the
cause, to see if traces of explosives are found. ”
Islamic State, which controls swathes of Iraq
and Syria and is battling the Egyptian army
in the Sinai Peninsula, said again overnight it
brought down the airliner and said it would
eventually tell the world how it carried out the
Egypt dismissed a similar statement by Islamic
State on Sunday.
Security experts and investigators have said
the plane is unlikely to have been struck from
the outside and Sinai-based militants are not
believed to possess the technology to shoot
down an aircraft from a cruising altitude above
Any evidence that a bomb knocked the
plane out of the sky would raise questions
over Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-
Sisi’s assertions that Egypt had brought under
control the insurgency waged by the Islamic
State affiliate, Sinai Province.
Britain said overnight the airliner may have
been brought down by an explosive device. But
Prime Minister David Cameron’s office was
cautious over the possible causes.
“ While the investigation is still ongoing we
cannot say categorically why the Russian jet
crashed,” it said in a statement.
“But as more information has come to light
we have become concerned that the plane may
well have been brought down by an explosive
Britain’s assessment of the crash came during
a visit to London by Sisi.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman
Dmitry Peskov said earlier this week no theory
could yet be ruled out.
If the crash was the result of sabotage, it would
almost certainly deal a heavy blow to tourism in
Egypt, which is highly sensitive to attacks by
Islamist militants on foreigners.
The industry, a pillar of the economy, was
already struggling to recover from years of
political turmoil triggered by an uprising that
toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
As a precautionary measure, Cameron’s
government has decided that flights due to
leave Sharm for Britain would be delayed
to allow time for a team of British aviation
experts, currently travelling to Sharm, to make
an assessment of the security arrangements in
place at the airport.
Sisi, who as army chief toppled Islamist
President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass
protests against his rule, was elected president
last year on promises he would stabilise Egypt
and rebuild a limping economy. — Reuters
Britain’s government has published
proposals for new internet spying
laws to keep pace with the digital age,
including allowing the intelligence
ser vices partial access to a suspect ’s
internet browsing history.
Home Secretary Theresa May
hailed the draft legislation as a
“ world-leading oversight regime”,
but a leading rights group described
the proposals as a “ breath-taking
attack” on Britain’s on-line security.
“ Today we are setting out a modern
legal framework, which brings
together current powers in a clear
and comprehensible way,” May told
“This new legislation will underpin
the work of law enforcement and the
security and intelligence agencies for
years to come. It is their licence to
May sought to assuage fears that
the new powers would be intrusive,
and rejected reports that the bill
would ban encryption or force British
companies to capture and retain
internet traffic from abroad.
Crucially for companies such
as Google and Facebook, the
foreign-based companies to meet
“domestic retention obligations” for
However, the security ser vices
would be able to access internet
communication records, which show
which on-line ser vices were accessed
by a suspect and when.
This would show that a messaging
service such as Facebook or Whats
App had been used, but not the
content of messages or their
The bill also allows security officials
to see which websites a suspect had
accessed, but not which pages were
viewed within those sites.
“Some have characterised this
power as law enforcement having
access to people’s full web browsing
histories. Let me be clear: this is
simply wrong,” May said.
“An internet connection record is a
record of a communications ser vice
that a person has used, not a record of
every web page they have accessed. ”
These records would have to be held
by ser vice providers for 12 months.
The plans also propose a new
system of oversight for investigatory
powers and a new way of authorising
warrants for data interception.
Currently, warrants for such data
requests are issued by May, but in
future these must also be approved by
In the case that access to the internet
data of a British parliamentarian
is sought, Prime Minister David
Cameron must also be consulted.
Civil liberties groups worry that
the bill’s powers will lack sufficient
oversight and be used unnecessarily,
and could lead to the kind of blanket
sur veillance revealed by United
“After all the talk of climbdowns
and safeguards, this long-awaited bill
constitutes a breath-taking attack on
the internet security of every man,
woman and child in our country,”
Shami Chakrabarti, director of civil
rights group Liberty, said.
“ We must now look to parliament
to step in where ministers have failed
and strike a better balance between
privacy and sur veillance.”
The proposals will be scrutinised
by a committee of MPs, allowing
changes to be made before it is
formally debated by parliament.
Britain unveils plan for new internet spying
36 die in South Sudan
At least 36 people were killed after a Soviet-
era Antonov plane crashed just after take-off
from South Sudan’s capital Juba.
Police and rescue workers overnight recovered
the bodies of men, women and children among
the wreckage of the An-12 cargo plane, which
crashed into a farming community on an island
in the White Nile river, seconds after departure.
“So far 36 bodies have been collected and
brought to hospitals,” South Sudan Red Cross
official Majju Hillary said, adding that all the
victims were on board the ill-fated aircraft.
Two sur vivors were pulled out of the twisted
metal hulk of the plane but one later died,
leaving a young boy the only sur vivor, the Red
Cross said, adding the number of dead could
“ We can’t assess this is the final toll, as some
debris is too heavy to be lifted and needs some
heavy machinery,” Hillary added.
The five-member Armenian crew were all
killed, the Armenian foreign ministry said in a
Ukraine-based Antonov said in a statement
that the “An-12B was is no state to fly because
it failed to undergo timely technical ser vicing .
. . that should have included work on extending
its resources and exploitation timeframe. ”
Farmer Ibrahim Mohamed said the plane
went down near his home, scattering debris
around his hut.
“The sound was so loud . . . the plane
started descending and landed near my door,”
“One of the tyres broke off and ran into the
house but thank God it did not injure anyone,”
the father of four said. — AFP
‘I’m going to lose’
Oscar Pistorius, the Paralympian who shot
dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp — after
apparently mistaking her for a burglar — could
be convicted of murder within weeks if South
Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal decides he
should have known his actions would kill.
Pistorius, 28, was convicted of a lesser
manslaughter charge and was last month
released from prison into house arrest at his
uncle’s mansion in Pretoria after ser ving just
one year of a five-year sentence.
Judge Thokozile Masipa, sitting in the High
Court at Pretoria, ruled the athlete believed
Miss Steenkamp was still in bed rather than
behind the locked lavatory door when he fired
four shots at it in the early hours of February
14, 2013. As a result, she found, he could
not be guilty of intentionally killing her. But
appealing against the judgment and conviction
at the Supreme Court of Appeal yesterday, the
State argued that regardless of who Pistorious
thought he was shooting at, he should have
known his actions would have been fatal.
If three of the five judges hearing the case
agree with Gerrie Nel, the State prosecutor,
they may rule in as soon as two weeks that he
be retried or, as is thought more likely, that his
conviction be upgraded to one of murder. They
could either sentence the athlete themselves
or send him back to the High Court where
he would face a minimum 15 years’ jail for
Pistorius’s lawyer Barry Roux faced tough
questioning by the panel during a three-hour
hearing in the city of Bloemfontein yesterday
and after wards was overheard telling Nel in
Afrikaans: “ That I am going to lose is a fact.”
Roux’s comments were caught by a microphone
placed in the court for a live broadcast. Brian
Webber, Pistorius’s solicitor, said they were
taken out of context and meant “nothing”.
“ We think we have got a very arguable case,” he
said. “ We certainly don’t think we are going to
lose. Mr Roux was asked some tough questions
but that is how the (court) works — it was
always going to be an inquisitorial approach. ”
A prosecution source said they had read little
into Roux’s remarks. “As colleagues we are
entitled to talk to each other in confidence,” she
said. “ We all joke around and make comments
about winning or losing, it usually means
The State is, however, confident that the
manslaughter conviction will be overturned, she
It won a legal victory yesterday when an old
precedent was overturned that blocked appeals
in cases where judges had convicted a criminal
of an alternative charge. — EF E
800,000 ‘illegal entries’ to EU
Migrants have made some 800,000 “illegal
entries” to the European Union so far this year,
the head of the bloc’s border agency Frontex
Warning the influx of migrants has probably
not yet “reached its peak”, Fabrice Leggeri called
for European States to detain unsuccessful
asylum seekers so they can be “rapidly” sent
back to their countries of origin.
“EU States must prepare for the fact that
we still have a very difficult situation ahead
of us in the coming months,” L eggeri said
in an inter view with the German newspaper
Last month, Frontex said that 710,000
migrants had entered the EU in the first nine
months of the year but cautioned that many
people had been counted twice.
The agency said on October 13 that “irregular
border crossings may be attempted by the same
person several times”.
“This means that a large number of the people
who were counted when they arrived in Greece
were again counted when entering the EU for
the second time through Hungary or Croatia,”
the agency explained.
According to the most recent figures from
the United Nations refugee agency, more than
744,000 people have made the perilous journey
across the Mediterranean this year, the majority
to Greece. — AFP
Early Disney film
found after 87 years
A long-lost Walt Disney animated film
has been discovered in a British archive
and will be screened for the first time in
The forgotten six-minute film, Sleigh
Bells, has not been seen since its original
release in 1928, according to the BFI
National Archive, where the sole
sur viving film print was discovered.
The film, which features an early
precursor to Mickey Mouse, has been
restored with the help of Walt Disney
Animation Studios and will have its
world premiere in London on December
12, the British Film Institute announced
“ What a joyful treat to discover a
long-lost Walt Disney film in the BFI
National Archive and to be able to show
Sleigh Bells to a whole new audience
87 years after it was made,” Robin
Baker, head curator of the BFI National
The short film features the first Disney
character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a
long-eared forerunner of Mickey Mouse.
Oswald was created in 1927 and “loved
for his mischievous and rebellious
personality,” the archive said.
The animation in Sleigh Bells is the
work of Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks,
who created the Oswald films for
Universal and following a contractual
dispute went on to create Mickey
The film was rediscovered by a
researcher who was looking through the
archive’s on-line catalogue, which is one
of the world’s largest film collections.
Baker said the film could introduce
new audiences to “the vitality and
imagination” of Walt Disney ’s creations
during his early silent period.
Andrew Millstein, president of Walt
Disney Animation Studios, indicated
there could be more lost Disney films
yet to be discovered.
“The Oswald shorts are an important
part of our studios’ history, and we have
been working with film archives and
private collectors all around the world
to research the missing titles,” Millstein
said. — AFP
Step up to live longer.
While we all know walking is good for
us, new research shows that increasing
the daily number of steps is linked to
The study by The George Institute
for Global Health and the Menzies
Research Institute in Tasmania is
published in Plos One journal.
It monitored 3000 Australians over 15
years, with each participant being given
Data was collected at the beginning
and again approximately five years later
to measure the number of steps taken
each day, study author Professor Terry
“ Participants were an average age of
58.8 years old at commencement and
the major end point was death due to
any cause,” he said.
A sedentary person who increased his
or her steps from 1000 to 10,000 a day,
seven days a week, was found to have a
46% lower mortality risk.
If increased to 3000 a day five days a
week, the person had a 12% lower risk.
The association between daily steps
and mortality was largely independent
of factors such as body mass index and
smoking, D wyer said.
Previous studies have measured
physical activity by questionnaire only.
But Dwyer said this study was the
first to use pedometers to make the link
between exercise and reduced mortality
over time in people who appeared
healthy at the outset.
“ Exercise should now be seen as a
potential means of increasing longevity.
“ We know through this research, that
daily step count is inversely associated
with all-cause mortality.
“ People who increase their daily steps
appear to have a substantial reduction in
“ Pedometers and activity devices are
growing in popularity so the ability
to measure and realise the benefits of
exercise are at everyone’s fingertips and
we should all take advantage.” — AAP
More daily steps ‘boost
Links Archive November 4th 2015 November 6th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page