Home' Greymouth Star : November 6th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
4 - Friday, November 6, 2015
Man dies at mine
A man has died after an accident at
a Southland goldmine. Emergency
services were called to the mine in
Waikaia about 6.20pm yesterday.
Police said a 30-year-old man
operating machinery suffered critical
injuries and subsequently died. Work
Safe NZ had been notified. The man’s
name will be released when his next of
kin have been informed. — N ZME
Crash victim a tourist
crash in Northland was an English
tourist who was starting a six-week
holiday. Police said David Banks, 64,
died after a two-car collision near
the intersections of Totara Road and
State highway 1, near Oakleigh, about
2pm on Wednesday. Mr Banks and
his 61-year-old wife, had flown from
Australia and arrived in Auckland
about 4am on Wednesday, and were
on their way to the Bay of Islands.
The couple’s rental car collided with a
southbound vehicle occupied by three
people, from Auckland. Mr Banks’s
wife suffered minor injuries. The
occupants of the other vehicle were
also hurt, none seriously.
— N ZME -Northern Advocate
Speeding car hits pole
A speeding vehicle hit a power
pole in rural Tauranga. Emergency
ser vices were called to Welcome Bay
Road, near Waitao Road, just after
7pm yesterday. Senior sergeant Chris
Summer ville said the crash happened
on a straight section of road with a
60kph limit. Early evidence indicates
two vehicles speeding towards
Te Puke, he said. One hit a pole,
bringing down power lines. Six people
were treated for minor injuries. The
second vehicle drove off. — N ZM E
Man flown to hospital
A man who lost control of his
vehicle on a bend in a road near Te
Awamutu overnight was taken to
hospital by helicopter. The 20-year-old
man was the sole occupant of a utility
vehicle that crashed on Bayley Road,
Wharepuhanga. “ The man apparently
lost control of his vehicle in a corner
and left the road, rolling several times
before coming to rest down a 5m
embankment,” a rescue helicopter
spokeswoman said. The man suffered
cuts to his head. — NZME
A 65-year-old paraglider was kept
under obser vation overnight after
suffering a head injury in a crash
near Wanaka. Senior sergeant James
Ure said the man was paragliding in
a group that included his son. The
son noticed his father had crashed
and raised the alarm.
— Otago Daily Times
Numbers in Keno draw No 11880:
50, 52, 58, 59, 60, 70, 71, 78. Draw No
11881: 5, 13, 16, 22, 23, 24, 28, 33, 37,
40, 41, 42, 50, 56, 61, 62, 68, 71, 75, 78.
Draw No 11882: 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 18, 23,
24, 30, 31, 34, 39, 43, 45, 49, 56, 60, 67,
68, 70. Draw No 11883: 1, 3, 5, 11, 12,
15, 17, 19, 38, 40, 52, 53, 54, 56, 57, 59,
60, 63, 77, 79.
NZ First MP denies racism
A man with a gunshot wound is
recovering in Palmerston North
Police were called to the man’s home in
the nearby town of Shannon at 9.40pm
The man, who had reported being shot,
was taken to hospital. His injury was not
believed to be life threatening.
Officers found a firearm in a vehicle
they stopped leaving the area and three
people are helping police with their
Detective senior sergeant Craig
Sheridan reassured the Shannon
community there was no one else
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
of the Westport News
Buller Mayor Garry Howard gave the
Prime Minister 2lb (0.9kg) of whitebait,
six eggs from his own hens and two
lemons from his garden on Wednesday
— all the makings of a whitebait dinner.
“It was a kitset, ready to go,” Mr
Howard said, adding his hens were “the
best chooks in the world”.
In return, he received a signed bottle of
John Key’s pinot noir. Only 25 cases of
JK’s Pinot Noir are bottled each year.
The mayor said he took great care
bringing the bottle home. He was well
aware a bottle sold for $52,000 in a
Canterbury earthquake charity auction
and the anonymous buyer promptly
dropped it on the way to the car.
Mr Howard plans to auction his bottle
to raise funds for Westport ’s O’Conor
Home. It came from the 2012 vintage,
which reportedly was the best yet, he
Mr Howard was in Wellington to
discuss regional issues with Mr Key and
Regional Development Minister Steven
Joyce. He said the meetings went well.
— Westport News
lunch for PM
New Zealand First deputy leader
Ron Mark says he will not apologise
for telling National MP Melissa Lee
to “go back to Korea” if she does not
like New Zealand.
He was criticised for the comment
by MPs on both sides of the House,
including a member of his own
During a debate on shop trading
hours on Tuesday, Mr Mark accused
Ms Lee of being condescending
towards New Zealanders.
“I have got a short message: If you
do not like New Zealand, go back to
Korea,” he said.
Ms Lee is a New Zealand citizen
and has lived in this country for 30
years. Yesterday, she said Mr Mark’s
comment was “ inappropriate” but she
did not want to comment further.
The National MP had spoken about
how conser vative New Zealand’s
closing hours were compared to
Yesterday, Mr Mark said he objected
to being told to grow up.
“Some people who come here might
think we’re a bit antiquated or . . .
need to grow up. But they ’ve got two
choices, they can move on.”
In the same speech, the New
Zealand First deputy leader also
made disparaging comments about
Indian-born MP Kanwaljit Singh
New Zealand First leader Winston
Peters backed his deputy yesterday,
saying any claim of racism was
He echoed Mr Mark’s criticism of
Ms Lee: “If someone is complaining
about the country they’re in, they . . .
can always go back home.”
Most New Zealand First colleagues
also backed Mr Mark. However,
Tracey Martin, whom Mr Mark
unseated as deputy leader, jumped on
his gaffe, saying, “It is not a statement
I would have made.”
Act Party leader David Seymour
unsuccessfully attempted to have Mr
Mark apologise in the House.
Mr Seymour said: “Normally
we give Ron Mark a bit of a leash
because he’s not the brightest bulb in
the tree. But this sort of racism is not
Green Party co-leader James Shaw
said the comments were “completely
in character for New Zealand First ”.
What they said
“Sometimes, as a migrant . . . it used
to really surprise me, having grown up
overseas and come to New Zealand,
to see New Zealand shut down at a
particular hour. That was really, really
surprising. You know, we were closing
shops at 5 o’clock when in other
countries shops were open to 10 or
midnight, or all night.” — Melissa Lee.
“ Melissa Lee told the House in her
rather condescending manner, which
she is becoming renowned for, that
we need to grow up in New Zealand.
Well I have got a short message: If
you do not like New Zealand, go back
to Korea.” — Ron Mark.
— N Z ME-New Zealand Herald
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm November 5, 2015
a2 Milk Company
76 –1 9.27
282 –2 0.43
ANZ Banking Gr
2830 +25.2 11 .84
Auckland Intl Airpt
517 +2 20.17
597 –3 4.10
1355 –7 0.57
791 –3 18.27
756 –2 465.8
Fonterra Share Fund
535 +2 18.45
600 –4 6.70
191 +1 47.78
Goodman Prop Tr
121 +0.5 27.18
129 +3 72.03
313 +0.5 19.27
Kiwi Property Gr
137 –0.5 19.82
1597 –2 2 .10
– 0.5 44.68
447 –2 4.12
Metro Perf Glass
Mighty River Power
278 –2 10.02
424 –1 5.71
101 +2 34.88
Orion Health Gr
365 –3 2.19
1860 +10 0.40
Prop For Industry
155 –1 12 .60
440 +1 3.54
790 –3 12.71
154 –1 13.12
Sky Network TV
463 –2 259.0
402 –2 65.33
341 –3 316.1
Steel & Tube
275 +1 0.44
Summerset Gr Hldgs
392 –3 12.68
Trade Me Gr
782 +2 0.21
330 –1 13.66
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
275 +4 28.13
1840 +16 15.96
Trading to 10:30am,
Friday, November 6, 2015
DECLINERS: 34 TRADED: 93
Aluminium High Grade
0.9608 0 .9063
Ron Mark stands by ‘go back to Korea’ comment
One royal fan got a gift from
Prince Charles that she will never
forget — a kiss.
The Prince of Wales and
Duchess of Cornwall had an
action-packed day with a railway
jaunt, a “wool event ” and an eco-
sanctuary visit in Wellington and
But there was one activity that
was not on the agenda.
Dunedin woman Lesley Hayde,
69, was lying in wait for the
royal couple at Dunedin Railway
Station as they shuffled along
the blockade, shaking hands and
thanking some of the 1500 people
who had turned out to see them.
Mrs Hayde, draped in union
jack flags, managed to grab the
Prince in a bear-hug and plant a
wet kiss on his cheek.
“I shouted, ‘Charlie, Charlie
give us a kiss’ and he said ‘I don’t
know whether we should kiss’,”
“So I just grabbed him and gave
him a kiss. And then I kissed
Camilla. That ’s a great nearly 70th
birthday that. It was brilliant.”
It is at least the second time
Prince Charles has been kissed
Australian model Jane Priest
leaned in to peck Charles on the
cheek on a Perth beach.
Prince Charles kicked off his
engagements yesterday at Tawa
College in Wellington, where he
was welcomed with a fierce haka
by excited students.
Selfies with the prince were a
no-no, but many Tawa College
pupils snapped him on their
cellphones as he made his way
down rows of teenagers out of
class for a royal glimpse. He said
hello to some, while others got a
“I touched his hand. I’m going
to sell it for, like, a million
dollars,” said one boy.
While Charles was in Tawa,
Camilla checked out Te Whaea
— the National Dance and
Drama Centre — where she was
welcomed with a series of songs
It was a warmer and less wind-
blown arrival for the duchess
after she yesterday experienced
what one British tabloid called
a “Marilyn moment ”, with her
skirt billowing in a sub-Antarctic
Wellington Airport blast.
The couple then headed to
sunny Dunedin, taking a jaunt
aboard the Taieri Gorge train
before taking their first public
walkabout of this tour at the
Charles and Camilla checked
out the Toitu Otago Settlers
Museum of Dunedin, where a
University of Otago associate
dean could not help but note the
success of the All Blacks in his
“ With that in mind, Sir, I could
not let the moment pass without
presenting you with a World Cup
pin,” Professor John Broughton
told the prince.
Prince Charles then took a look
at Animation Research Limited
in Dowling Street while Camilla,
a lifelong book-lover, had a
literature event at the University
In the afternoon, the royal
couple met up again to visit
Orokonui Eco-sanctuary, which is
home to the critically-endangered
Haast Tokoeka kiwi as well as
the South Island robin, tieke, and
The royal couple headed back to
Wellington ay 5.30pm after the
There are no public
engagements on the agenda for
today but the pair will be back in
the spotlight tomorrow.
— Otago Daily Times-NZME
Excited crowds greet royal couple
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall on their walk from the Dunedin Railway Station to Toitu
Otago Settlers Museum yesterday.
A Whanganui family is tired of
having stuff stolen from a flood-
damaged Anzac Parade home.
So owner Adam Hanegraaf has
resorted to offering a reward to get
Since the June flood Mr Hanegraaf
has been commuting between
Auckland and the home he grew up in
to clean and repair it.
But on several occasions he has
returned to find valuable possessions
“The two sheds and the sleep-out
have had lots of things stolen from
them,” he said.
A car, wheels from another car, a
Lego collection and military clothing
have all been taken in the past few
“ It feels like someone’s targeting us,”
he said. “ There’s nothing valuable left
to take now.”
He is offering a $1000 reward for
any information which leads to the
recovery of items.
“ Failing that, I’d just like for our
family to be left alone. ”
Mr Hanegraaf wanted it to ser ve as a
reminder to owners of flood-damaged
homes about the risk of leaving
valuable items in them.
The police had been regularly
patrolling the area, Mr Hanegraaf
said, even making sure he and his
brother were legitimately in the area
when they were at the house cleaning
up one night. “I know they ’re trying to
be on this street. My friends see them
here all the time. ”
Mr Hanegraaf has made an on-line
plea for information to help recover
the stolen items from the red-
Twenty properties in Whanganui
were red-stickered after the flooding.
Entry was prohibited because of
hazards or serious damage. Another
140 were yellow-stickered with
— NZ ME-Wanganui Chronicle
Looters raid flood-hit home
PICTURE: Wanganui Chronicle
Wheels were stolen from this car on Adam Hanegraaf ’s flood-damaged
Woman found dead
A 29-year-old woman has been found
dead at a Meremere home this morning.
Emergency ser vices were called to the
scene at Meremere, a rural settlement
in northern Waikato, just after 7am,
Whitehead said. The cause of death was
unexplained, he said.
“On arrival police staff found a 29-year-
old woman deceased and we’re currently
working to establish the circumstances
associated with her passing,”
Inquiries were under way — including
forensic examinations, inter views with
local residents and a post-mortem
examination. The death has been referred
to the coroner. — NZ ME
Boy’s fall fatal
Timaru police are trying to piece
together how a teenager fell to his death
through a skylight.
The 14-year-old and two friends were
running on the roof of the Caroline
Bay Amusement Arcade about 7pm
He fell through and died at the scene.
The other boys were unharmed.
Officers have only a few details so far,
detective sergeant Greg Harrison said.
It is believed the boy walked or stood
on a skylight, which then broke and he
fell to the floor.
The arcade is a one storey building, but
the fall was of a significant distance, he
said. — NZ ME
Bull injures man
A farmer suffered head and facial
injuries after he was kicked by a bull
while trying to load the animal on to a
The Westpac rescue helicopter attended
the incident about 6am in the Wairarapa.
It landed in a paddock next to the
ambulance where the man was being
treated. He was then taken to Wellington
Hospital in a moderate condition.
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
TPP text released
New Zealand has released
the text of the Trans-Pacific
Partnership on behalf of
the 12 member countries
in its capacity as depositary
of the agreement.
Trade Minister Tim
“ New Zealand supported
the release of the text as
soon as the technical work
to finalise the agreement
was completed,” he said.
“ I am pleased that this
has happened and that the public will be
able to thoroughly review the full text of
the TPP well before it will be signed by
The full text can be found at www.
tpp.mfat.govt.nz/text. It is a “complex
agreement ”, Mr Groser said, with 30
chapters and associated annexes.
“The large number of documents
released today amount to over 6000 pages
of text and market access schedules,” he
“ Understanding the legal obligations
of the TPP will require careful analysis
of all documents, given the inter-
relationship between many provisions in
He said legal verification of the text
will continue in the coming weeks.
The Government has already released
a number of fact sheets outlining the
content of the TPP.
Also out is additional information
on the estimated economic benefits of
TPP on the New Zealand economy, and
details on how potential costs associated
relating to Pharmac have
been arrived at.
In the coming days, the
release a legal summary of
University of Auckland
law Professor Jane Kelsey
said the release was “too
little, too late”.
“The release of the
TPPA text ends the
farcical situation where
governments were touting
the benefits for the nation with no
prospect of any independent assessment
to contradict them,” she said.
“ It is not clear whether this will also
start the 90-day countdown before
President Obama is allowed to sign the
agreement under US law, or whether
any of the other countries would sign
unilaterally before the US does.”
Prof Kelsey said the legal text was not
enough on its own.
“ We need to see the background
documents that help make sense of the
text, but the parties have vowed to keep
them secret for effectively another six
years,” she said.
“ We also need the various analyses the
Government has relied on when talking
up the benefits and playing down the
costs. They have been coy about who has
done this work, especially the projections
of $2.7b benefits for the economy, and
stalled on Official Information Act
requests to release them, despite the
High Court’s rebuke last month. ”
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Lochinver Station, the 13,843ha
sheep and beef station near Taupo
that China’s Shanghai Pengxin was
prevented from buying, has sold
to a New Zealand farming group,
No price was disclosed. Shanghai
Pengxin had agreed to pay
$88 million for the property,
adding to an existing portfolio that
includes the former Crafar farms.
That sale had been approved by the
Overseas Investment Office only to
be vetoed by the government.
Mike Bayley, managing director of
Bayleys Real Estate, which handled
the sale, said a combination of
factors meant the property attracted
local interest in the property “at a
higher value than was the case early
last year when we first marketed
the station”. Lochinver had a
capital value of $70.6m and the
vendors, the Stevenson Group, had
undertaken about $3.5mn of capital
improvements, he said.
“Since the original sales contract
was signed over 14 months ago,
prices for top quality sheep and
beef farms have risen significantly,
primarily on the back of a very
strong beef sector,” Mr Bayley said
in a statement.
Rimanui Farms is a large-
scale sheep and cattle producer,
according to a 2011 submission
to the Commerce Commission.
Its owners are Allan Wadams
and Arthur Young of Birkenhead,
Auckland, according to the
Companies Office. — N Z ME
Lochinver Station sold to NZ group
Boy hurt on ride ‘showing off ’
The 12-year-old boy injured on
a fairground ride at Clareville last
weekend was partly the cause of his own
misfortune according to witnesses.
Jacob Gerritsen of Martinborough was
thrown backwards and bounced around
steel framing on a Mahons Amusements
ride, the Gravitron, at the Wairarapa
Agricultural and Pastoral Show on Friday
night. He received bumps and bruises.
The story drew comment by at least
three teenagers who were on the ride and
who have questioned Jacob’s version of
events as relayed by his mother, Kristan
Miss Ramsden said Jacob had been
thrown into a backwards flip after
padding slipped out from underneath
him, leaving him “tossed around” in an
area of steel framing.
On Facebook, however Noah Moyes
said he was “on this ride when he got
sucked in behind and what this boy
described (as what) happened didn’t
“ He was showing off and climbed up
On Monday John Mahon of Mahons
Amusements had phoned Miss
Ramsden to say he was glad Jacob had
not been hurt more badly, and to explain
the ride takes time to stop.
— NZ ME-Wairarapa Times-Age
The wreck of a yacht found on
the sea floor of Picton Harbour will
continue to be inspected today.
The wreck was found by the New
Zealand Defence Force (NZDF)
during a training exercise last
It was initially thought the sunken
vessel could have been the Sioux, a
$150,000 yacht which went missing
five years ago. But divers have since
confirmed it is not the Sioux.
The wreck has now been identified
as a much older launch, not a yacht
The wreck is sitting about 32m
deep and is at the divers’ limits.
Visibility at the site is limited
to about 1m which is making the
inspection difficult, police said.
Police will reassess the situation
after the divers surface.
continuing to identify any other
vessel that may have gone missing
in the area. — NZME
Wrecked vessel mystery deepens
Links Archive November 5th 2015 November 7th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page