Home' Greymouth Star : November 9th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Monday, November 9, 2015
Delays for bridge work
Delays of up to 15 minutes can be
expected tomorrow as more repairs
are carried out on the Taramakau
Bridge. Work will start at 6am and
finish at 7pm, the New Zealand
Transport Agency said.
Baton used in assault
Greymouth police are on the
lookout for a man today following
a family violence type assault in the
town shortly after 8pm yesterday.
The alleged assault involved the use
of an extendable police style baton.
“ Police are looking for an individual
known to them and inquiries are
continuing,” Greymouth senior
sergeant Philip Barker said today.
Meanwhile an “extremely drunk”
man disturbed holiday makers at a
house in Moana on Saturday night
when he smashed a window, but it
appeared to be “an honest mistake”.
Police later caught up with the man,
who appeared to have mistaken
where he was at the time he broke
the window. He agreed to pay for the
Cold snap on way
A cold southerly expected to sweep
up the country midweek could again
bring snow to the alpine passes.
Metser vice meteorologist Peter
Little said snow was likely about
high country areas, which may affect
some of the South Island alpine
passes on Wednesday, and the Desert
Road on Thursday.
Pike doco for TV1
The documentary Women of Pike
River, which premiered recently in
Christchurch, will screen on TV1 on
Tuesday, November 17 at 9.30pm.
Port of Greymouth. — Arrivals:
Galatea II. Departures: Nil. In port:
Galatea II, 19 Greymouth vessels.
Expected departures: Galatea II,
tomorrow. Expected arrivals: Cook
Canyon, Jay Elaine, Wednesday.
DOC seeks to
Reefton has been aflutter in
the past few days over the theft
of three flags which had adorned
Broadway since the lead up to the
Rugby World Cup.
The English, Irish, and Tongan
flags — and poles — were taken
a week ago last Friday from the
front of the Broadway Tearooms,
Greg Topp Betta Electrical and
the Reefton Second-hand Mart.
A message in last week’s
Reefton Clarion for
“cretinous numpties” who had
taken flags said that while the
theft was a criminal offence it
would be treated as “youthful
exuberance” if they were returned
The man who organised the
flags for the town, John Bougen,
said today the appeal had netted
an excellent response, with the
offenders owning up through an
“ Yesterday we got the call to
say ‘they ’re sorry they’ve done
it ’ and they are (the flags) going
to be picked up by a responsible
citizen,” Mr Bougen said.
Every building on Broadway
should again be flying a flag this
weekend. It seemed “good sense,
logic and a fear of prosecution”
had got through.
It was good the flag poles, in
particular, were being returned
as Reefton had bought out that
particular model and there were
none left in the country.
“The great thing is it’s gelled the
town. Everyone was disappointed
that an initiative such as flying
the flags down the main street
was hampered . . . it would
appear it was an out of towner
but the locals managed to ferret
out who it was,” Mr Bougen said.
He described the flag flying
as “good PR” for the town, with
the Rugby World Cup nations’
flags due to be changed back this
week to all New Zealand flags for
maximum visual impact.
“ It’s engendered quite a bit
of media coverage ... of course,
people have seen the flying of the
flags as some sort of protest. They
were put up to get some activity
down the main street, but if
people want to see it as a protest,
What it had done was make
visitors stop for a bit longer
and there had been at least one
inquiry about buying Reefton
property by someone from out of
town, Mr Bougen said.
Flags stolen from
Reefton’s main street
The Department of Conser vation
wants to divert a tributary of the fierce
Waiho (Waiau) River at Franz Josef
Glacier, to try to maintain walking access
Conser vation ser vices manager Wayne
Costello said the river was starting to
swing to the true left of the valley.
When it was in flood, it jumped the
channel and came close to the Trident
Creek falls, cutting off the main access
to the glacier.
Mr Costello said nature would always
have its way, but DOC would try to
redirect the creek before it reached
the track. It would then like to put a
boardwalk in, but there was no point for
now as it would only be washed away.
DOC has applied for consent from the
West Coast Regional Council for the
Monday November 9
Urgent cases only
Phone 769 7493 first
5pm - 8pm
Westport, formerly of
away peacefully on
Friday November 6,
2015 at Grey Hospital.
Loved father of Colleen,
Susan and Michael,
loved brother of Harvey,
and good friend of
Daphne. Aged 85 years.
Messages C/- 77 Shake-
speare Street, Grey-
mouth 7805. Relatives
and friends are invited
to attend the funeral
service for George at the
Anisy Ceremony Centre,
77 Shakespeare Street,
Greymouth on Thursday
at 1pm followed by
interment at the Karoro
Lawn Cemetery. Resting
in the care of Anisy
Funeral Home, Grey-
Ph 768 0250
Why have your loved
ones taken away
from the Coast for
The only funeral home
in Greymouth offering
services on site
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
Greymouth Heritage Trust
members Stewart Nimmo and
Gary Hopkinson hold examples
of heritage information panels to
be presented at the Greymouth
Heritage Trust annual general
meeting this evening for approval.
The 10 panels are part of the
Grey District Council’s signage
and interpretation programme
and will be erected along the
Mawhera Quay floodwall,
including at the coal heritage park.
“There are a variety of
panels covering the history of
Greymouth including three
panels on the early Chinese
merchants and settlements
which are also translated into
Mandarin,” Mr Hopkinson said.
“The panels have been driven
by economics with the intention
of keeping tourists here longer.
Once editing of the panels is
completed they will be erected in
The annual general meeting is
open to the public and starts at
7pm in the old Harbour Board
Heritage panels await approval
Electronic bail bid refused
A Blaketown man charged with
aggravated burglary has failed in his bid
to overturn a judge’s refusal to grant him
electronically monitored bail.
Kenny James Raroa, 43, had been denied
monitored bail on charges of burglary and
aggravated burglary on November 2, but
on Friday he appealed the decision to the
Lawyer Marcus Zintl said District Court
Judge Paul Kellar had erred, in “failing to
consider relevant matters and considering
Raroa had been refused bail on the
ground that a complainant, who Raroa
had allegedly intimidated on two separate
occasions, and who had been interfered
with by known associates of Raroa, would
be subject to further intimidation if he was
bailed to an address just 34km away from
Mr Zintl said there was no risk of Raroa
failing to appear at court, as when he had
been facing charges of possession of a
knife in public on October 9, Raroa had
turned up at court voluntarily, while on
Justice Paul Heath asked Mr Zintl if it
was “just coincidence” that associates of
Raroa’s had gone around to the victim’s
house about the same time as Raroa.
Mr Zintl said it was. He also said Raroa
had had access to a phone while in prison on
remand, but he had not tried to intimidate
He also suggested that a landline phone
at the property Raroa wanted to be bailed
to would be ripped out, and Raroa would
not have a phone, so he would not be able
to call and intimidate the victim.
Crown prosecutor Steve Burdes said
the two incidents of intimidation had
happened in close proximity to each other
and in close succession.
He said Judge Kellar had made it clear
that Raroa seemed to be motivated to
interfere with the victim, and the fact
that he had been charged with disorderly
behaviour and possession of a knife showed
that he had an “ inability” to control his
Justice Heath said he was not prepared
to “interfere” in the decision of the District
In refusing the application for bail,
Justice Heath said the enforcement of
there being no phones at the address
would be “difficult, particularly with
mobile telephones, which could easily be
PICTURE: New Zealand Defence Force
Prince Charles, right of centre, stands with the troops during a visit to Westport on Saturday afternoon. He inspected the troops who are in town for a 2000-strong militar y
Prince Charles checks out big exercise
It cost $290 million to develop but almost
five years after it was ripped apart by a deadly
explosion, bit by bit the Pike River Mine
site has been dismantled as the Department
of Conser vation waits in the wings ready to
resume ownership of the site.
The site is expected to be handed to DOC
Environment Minister Nick Smith is also
expected to announce a memorial ‘Great
Walk’ dedicated to the 29 men who died in
the explosion, about the time of the fifth
anniversary of the disaster on November 19.
Although $290m was spent on mine
development, just a month before the
November 2010 disaster the Pike River Coal
Company was facing potentially $50m in
extra costs. After the disaster, Solid Energy
purchased the mine in July 2012 for just
Solid Energy legal ser vices manager
Rob Paige said the coal processing plant
deconstruction was being done by the
purchaser. By late last month, the bathhouse
was also being removed.
All but the top end of the roadside pipeline
had also been removed. The main water pump
station and pumps had gone, along with the
dry goods store.
The nitrogen line and redundant gas-
monitoring lines run to the top of the
ventilation shaft were in the process of being
“The only other large structure still to
be removed is the workshops-warehouse
building at the top offices complex,” Mr Paige
Both levels of the top office complex would
remain on site.
Mr Paige said most of the assets that had
been cleared, or would be cleared, had been
sold on an ‘as is, where is’ basis.
Since November 2014, when Solid Energy
decided not to re-enter the main drift, the
cost of clearing the site was put at $54,000,
but that figure did not include Solid Energy’s
general operating costs of maintaining the site
over the past three years.
Pike mine offices dismantled
PICTURE: Viv Logie
The bathhouse is being demolished at the Pike River Mine site.
Someone who buried
pine trees at Okuru,
Haast, was ser ved with
an abatement notice by
the West Coast Regional
The trees were being
cleared for a beachfront
them on their property
and within the coastal
Meanwhile, at Kumara,
a forestry logging
operation also received
an abatement notice and
was ordered to undertake
remedial work for causing
discharge of sediment.
In the third incident
in the past month, a
small amount of diesel
was accidentally spilled,
seeping into a storm
drain and ended up in
the Grey River. Remedial
action was undertaken,
the council said.
Abatement notices served
Crash claim fails
to convince judge
A Kaniere man was unable
to convince a judge in the
Greymouth District Court that
his car slid off the road because of
mechanical problems, as he was
convicted on Friday of careless
driving causing injury.
Barry Thomas Hills, 55, who
was jailed in July for a 12-month
prison sentence for drugs charges,
was convicted of the driving
offence and banned from driving
for seven months.
Earlier in the defended hearing,
senior constable Fred Aplin,
who had specialist training
and experience in serious crash
investigations, told the court the
car had come off the road on its
way around a long, sweeping,
left-hand bend between Kumara
and Jacksons, on April 3.
Mr Aplin said that in his
opinion the car had started to
make the bend, crossed on to the
other side of the road, slid on to
the grass verge and then over a
3m bank into a ditch, where it
had flipped over, coming to rest
on its side.
Mr Aplin said there was no
evidence of any hard braking
from Hills, as the car had carried
on in pretty much a straight line
before crashing. The evidence
showed there had been some
rotation in the wheels of the car,
which suggested it had moved
sideways for a period of time.
He classed the crash as a
“classic distraction-type run-off-
In his evidence, Hills told the
court that he had started to turn
around the bend, the car had
not turned as he had wanted it
to, and had shot on to the verge,
then come back on to the road
before fish-tailing and falling off
the road again.
“ It just wouldn’t go where
control it ’.”
Hills had also cited his car,
which he said had problems
with the rear suspension bushes,
which had caused some “play ” in
the steering. He had also had his
car checked over by a mechanic,
David Rochford, who gave
evidence that there had only been
about 1mm of play in the bushes,
and that when he checked them
they were “fine”.
However, Hills said that when
he had checked them he had
been able to move one of the
suspension tails, despite only
being able to use one arm, owing
to a serious motorbike accident
in 1991 having paralysed him
down the left-hand side of
his body. Hills said that when
he took the car to be checked
over by the mechanic, the jack
pushed the tail back into place,
and the mechanic was not able
to see the full extent of the
But Judge Paul Kellar rejected
the idea that the “accident came
about as a result of the defect in
the bushes,” and that he “accepted
unreser vedly” that the degree of
play would not have had an effect
on the vehicle.
Judge Kellar also said there
was no evidence of any “sudden,
temporary loss of driving
Warning after shooters
vandalise stoat traps
Police say gun licences could
be revoked if they catch who has
been shooting stoat traps laid
on the Croesus Track, between
Blackball and Barrytown.
The damage was discovered
by the Paparoa Wildlife Trust,
a group of volunteers who do
extensive pest control in the area
to protect kiwi and whio.
One volunteer alone has cut
16km of trap lines. However,
some of the wooden stoat boxes
now have bullet holes in them.
Chairman Paul Berry said it was
disheartening that people were
vandalising the traps. Roaming
dogs were another problem.
Traps had also been thrown
down a bank into a creekbed.
“ Please take photos or (car)
rego numbers and give to police
or myself,” Mr Berry said.
People could pass on
information to him anonymously
by calling him at home in Atarau.
He said the would probably
have to purchase cameras to
catch those responsible.
Senior constable Mike Tinnelly,
of Greymouth police, said it
was the sort of behaviour that
could lead to a gun licence being
While the Croesus was a
hunting area people had to be
mindful it was also a walking
“ Identify your target,”
Moana health centre building permit
application to be lodged soon
The application for a building permit for
a new health centre at Moana will be lodged
shortly, ready to start the earthworks early in the
The current clinic is outdated and as there is
only one room with no privacy.
The new clinic will be built in the heart of
Moana township, on Helena Dense Park,
paying a peppercorn rental to the Grey District
Working group chairman Tony Kokshoorn
said they would lodge the application for
A geotech report found they only had to
dig down between 400 and 900mm for a firm
“ I am organising myself, councillors Becker
and Gibson after Christmas to do that on a
volunteer basis, and refill.”
They hope to have the permit granted after
Christmas. Once the final plans have been
approved, the work should go out for tender
So far, $220,000 of the estimated $270,000
rebuilding cost has been raised. That includes a
substantial donation from the nearby Gloriavale
Christian Community, while Nelson Creek
electrician Peter de Breuk has volunteered to do
“There’s been a huge response from the public,”
Mr Kokshoorn said.
Of the $220,000 raised, $180,000 came from
the public. The West Coast District Health
Board is putting in $40,000, which leaves a
$50,000 shortfall. The group has approval to get
the difference from the Moana infrastructure
fund with the council.
Mr Kokshoorn said with all the voluntary
work, the amount it needed to draw from that
fund should be “minimal”.
Links Archive November 7th 2015 November 10th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page