Home' Greymouth Star : November 9th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Monday, November 9, 2015 - 3
E-mail threat probe
Police are investigating an e-mail
threatening people’s families and
homes that claims to be sent by
terrorist hackers Syrian Electronic
Army. Police said the e-mail
threatens that if the recipient
does not pay $1500 in bitcoin
their computer files will be lost,
a family member will be killed
and their house will be destroyed
by fire. Anyone who has received
the e-mail is asked to send it to
email@example.com to aid the
investigation. — N Z ME
Woman suffers burns
A south Waikato woman has been
flown to Waikato Hospital with
burns after a fire in the garage of
her home early today. Northern fire
shift commander Jaron Phillips said
Tokoroa firefighters were called to
the Crathie Crescent property just
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
A man managed to free himself
from a runaway tractor which
rolled over him and dragged him
along on a Hawke’s Bay farm. A
rescue helicopter was called to the
farm in Eskdale, north of Napier,
about 5.20pm on Saturday. Rescue
helicopter trust general manager Ian
Wilmot said the 68-year-old man
had been working on the tractor
when it “accidentally got away
on him”. He suffered leg and hip
injuries. — NZME
Dog attacks man
A man was taken to Rotorua
Hospital after a dog attack. The man,
in his 50s, was taken to Rotorua
Hospital on Saturday with moderate
injuries after the attack at a private
property on Clayton Road just
before midday. It is understood the
dog was a pitbull and was dead when
animal control officers arrived.
— NZ ME-Rotorua Daily Post
A ticket sold in Dannevirke
has won its holder $1 million in
division one of Lotto draw No
1488. Successful numbers were
13, 14, 16, 19, 21, 39; bonus 24.
Strike numbers were 13, 39, 19, 21.
There was one Strike Four winner,
from Christchurch, taking home
$400,000. Powerball number 4. There
was no division one winner.
Numbers in Keno draw No 11888: 2,
8, 12, 13, 20, 31, 39, 45, 46, 50, 55, 58,
59, 60, 61, 62, 67, 71, 72, 78. Draw No
11889: 2, 4, 5, 6, 15, 21, 24, 26, 32, 33, 37,
40, 42, 44, 54, 65, 66, 69, 76, 80. Draw
No 11890: 2, 7, 8, 20, 27, 31, 33, 35, 42,
45, 46, 49, 50, 51, 57, 61, 63, 64, 69, 80.
Draw No 11891: 7, 8, 15, 18, 29, 34, 36,
37, 39, 41, 44, 50, 55, 56, 57, 58, 67, 71,
73, 76. Draw No 11892: 2, 6, 12, 18, 24,
28, 31, 33, 34, 41, 44, 60, 63, 64, 67, 69,
70, 73, 74, 75. Draw No 11893: 1, 5, 8,
15, 16, 27, 35, 38, 47, 48, 50, 53, 55, 57,
66, 67, 74, 75, 76, 79. Draw No 11894:
42, 47, 62, 64, 67, 70, 75, 80. Draw No
11895: 1, 3, 7, 9, 15, 16, 27, 28, 37, 38,
39, 42, 46, 49, 50, 51, 59, 64, 73, 75.
Little puts focus on jobs, poverty
Mass riots have forced guards to
abandon the Christmas Island detention
Riots began after prisoners learned of
the death of a refugee who escaped the
centre two days ago, TVNZ reported.
The body of an asylum seeker, believed
to be Iranian Kurdish Fazel Chegeni,
was found yesterday following his escape
from the detention centre on Friday,
New Zealander Ricky Downs, who
is being held at the centre, said this
morning that guards had abandoned the
“There’s fires everywhere, holes in the
wall and the canteen has been smashed
to pieces,” he said.
“There’s no security, there’s no response
team, there’s not border control, no
guards. They’ve freaked out and left.”
Labour MP Kelvin Davis, who recently
visited the island, said the island prison
was in “chaos”.
Mr Davis said he heard one person
was punched in the face by a guard after
prisoners questioned the death of the
inmate who tried to escape.
A fence separating the segregated and
non-segregated area has been torn down
and gas canisters have been unsuccessful
in the attempt to quell the uproar. Lights
have also been turned off at the prison,
Mr Davis said it “basically just went
mad” after one detainee was allegedly
assaulted by a guard for asking about
the deceased asylum seeker who tried to
He said the riots kicked off in the last
There were now about 60 detainees
out on the sports field, with another 60
wandering around the centre, and no
guards to be seen, he said.
The detainees were scared, he said.
“The guards have disappeared at this
stage, they can’t see anything of them.
There’s concerns when they come back
theyll come back with force possibly
even with guns.
They’ve asked me to try to get people
over there so that when all the dust has
settled down there’ll be witnesses to the
injuries they believe they ’re going to
incur. They ’re scared. ”
Mr Davis arrived back from Christmas
Island about 10 days ago.
Mr Davis told TV3’s Paul Henry
programme he thought it was a “spur of
the moment ” riot.
The detainees had “horrific stories”,
were traumatised and were rioting as an
act of desperation, he said.
“I don’t think they do have a plan. This
is something that happened on the spur
of the moment. I don’t think they think
they ’ll be able to escape and swim to
Australia or anything.
“Really they ’re just scared and bracing
themselves for what ’s next. When you’re
desperate what have you go to lose?”
One of the detainees said they were
scared they would be shot when the
guards returned, Mr Davis said.
He said the New Zealand detainees
and asylum seekers were all basically “in
it together”. — NZ ME
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
mark tet move t
As at 4pm November 6, 2015
a2 Milk Company
287 +2 7.50
ANZ Banking Gr
2825 +25 52.81
113 –0.5 5 .00
Auckland Intl Airpt
67 –1 70.04
1375 +4 2.04
790 –1 148.0
767 +3 268.3
Fonterra Share Fund
538 +3 2.41
600 +6 0.80
Goodman Prop Tr
315 +1 41.09
Kiwi Property Gr
137 –0.5 14.59
1605 +5 7.18
222 +2 23.00
450 +4 4.30
Metro Perf Glass
150 –2 0.10
Mighty River Power
424 +1 18.16
102 +1 32.10
Orion Health Gr
40 –1 66.49
1880 +5 2.12
Prop For Industry
156 +1 10.84
783 –3 11.88
Sky Network TV
334 +1 807.5
Steel & Tube
277 +9 8.85
Summerset Gr Hldgs
208 +1.5 3 .80
Trade Me Gr
332 –1 0.30
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
184 +1 4.00
3450 +50 27.57
2000 +68 85.29
Trading to 10:30am,
Monday, November 9, 2015
DECLINERS: 20 TRADED: 86
Aluminium High Grade
Labour leader Andrew Little
has pledged to add child poverty
measures to the budget if Labour is
Mr Little made the pledge in
his speech to the Labour Party
conference, a speech dubbed the
Kiwi Dream speech in which he
focused on his own background
and Labour’s 99-year-long history.
It was his first speech to the
Labour Party conference, and the
only glitch was when Mr Little
smashed his water glass as he was
winding up for his grand finale.
Mr Little set out his three top
priorities as “jobs, jobs, jobs”.
However, the theme of Mr Little’s
speech was “rebuilding the Kiwi
dream” and he said that also meant
addressing child poverty.
He said 305,000 children were
living in poverty.
“ We’ve turned our backs for far
too long. Well, that ends today.”
He said every decision Labour
made would be checked against its
impact on child poverty.
“So every budget, every year we
won’t just report on GDP growth
or how much money we’ve spent,
we’ll front up and tell the country
how many children a Labour
government has lifted out of
“ New Zealand, I’m asking you to
join with me in a concerted effort
to eradicate poverty in our country.”
In his speech he touched on
everything from home ownership
to health, jobs, poverty and climate
He also took a swipe at Prime
Minister John Key, although
without using his name.
“ Right now it seems the
Government is more interested in
slapstick and personal sledging than
in genuine leadership. It is more
interested in pandas and flags than
in serious issues. I didn’t become an
MP to play parliamentary parlour
games. I came into politics to help
But the primary goal of Mr
Little’s first conference speech as
Labour leader was to try to provide
a glimpse of Mr Little’s own
background and personality.
Mr Little spoke of his background,
including a father who was a
staunch National supporter and
loathed union bosses.
A video leading up to it also set out
Mr Little’s personal background.
He was introduced by his twin
sister, Val, and the video featured an
old teacher recalling his Muldoon
“I said to his parents, ‘He’ll be
prime minister some day ’.”
The audience of Labour stalwarts
was warmed up by Christchurch
band The Eastern, which had the
audience on its feet singing along
to a song called Victory.
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Labour leader Andrew Little during his speech to the party’s annual conference at the Regent Theatre in Palmerston
Dotcom leaving landmark mansion
Embattled internet mogul Kim
Dotcom is quitting his landmark
In the latest chapter of the
property’s short but chequered
history, the controversial Megaupload
founder has shelved plans to buy
the expansive 60ha rural block on
Auckland’s northern fringes and is
preparing to move into a waterfront
penthouse apartment on fashionable
The house was the country’s most
expensive when it was built for an
estimated $30 million in 2006 by
Chrisco hamper empire founders
Richard and Ruth Bradley.
It has six bedrooms, a tennis court
and swimming pool.
The Bradleys, who have since
separated, moved to Sydney in 2008
and the property was empty for two
years until Dotcom moved in, paying
$1m a year in rent.
Under the terms of the lease, he has
to move out as he cannot afford to
buy the property.
He is preparing to downsize to a
four-bedroom apartment in central
“I told my oldest I am going to
move and she cried and asked why.”
Dotcom said he was doing all he
could to ensure his children’s lives
were disrupted as little as possible.
They would attend the same school
and pre-school and their nannies
would still help care for them. His
estranged wife Mona would remain
living in Coatesville, next to the
The tech entrepreneur is embroiled
in an extradition hearing in the
Auckland District Court, fighting
being sent to the United States to
face copyright violation, money-
laundering and racketeering charges.
He said although he was unable to
buy the mansion and surrounding
properties before a February
deadline in his lease agreement,
there was provision in the original
$30m lease-to-buy deal to nominate
“A number of people have looked
at this place and want to take over
my option and utilise that to make a
However Dotcom said he was
determined to one day buy the
sprawling 2300 square metre mansion
for the sake of his five children.
“This is where my kids have spent
the past five years.
“Just because I’m forced to leave
now does not mean I will not try to
get it back for them.”
Even the “dark stain” of the 2012
police raid had not deterred the
tycoon from wanting to stay in one of
the country’s grandest homes.
Losing the home had been a bitter
pill, he said. “ I fought hard to be
able to retain this for my family,” he
“ When I couldn’t do it with the
court funds that were made available
I started a new business and I built
that primarily to be able to pay my
legal fees and be able to keep this
home for my family.
“After almost four years to have to
lose that battle now and leave my
home, makes me sad.”
He said he would shift to his new
waterfront home later this month.
“It’s significantly more humble than
what I am used to but that ’s okay. I
am also not living with a partner
any more, we have reduced our staff
numbers significantly and this place
feels a little bit big now.”
Bradley did not respond to requests
for an inter view.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
The mansion Kim Dotcom is leaving.
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Some of the dozens of firefighters who attended yesterday’s fire in the hall at Taieri College.
School goes on after hall fire
Taieri College will open today,
and school exams will not be
affected by the fire in the roof of
the school hall yesterday.
A fire investigator was on the
scene at 8am today to determine
whether the fire was suspicious, a
Fire Ser vice spokesman said late
Firefighters from seven brigades
extinguished the blaze. The alarm
was raised just after 3pm with
nine appliances and an aerial
The aerial appliance was used to
spray water on the roof. Smoke,
but no flames, was visible when
the Otago Daily Times was at the
scene about 4pm.
Firefighters and the police
repeatedly warned up to 100
onlookers to stay back from the
A large section of Green Street
in front of the college was closed
The Fire Ser vice spokesman
said the furnishings in the hall
had been “destroyed”, but the hall
itself, including the roof, had been
deemed structurally sound by an
Speaking earlier, principal David
Hunter said he did not know the
extent of the damage.
Because of a potential asbestos
risk, Public Health South officials
assessed the situation.
The hall would be cordoned off
today, and Mr Hunter did not
know how long it would remain
“ I have no idea what the inside
of the school hall is like. The fire
commander hasn’t given us any
information on that (yet),” Mr
Until last week, the hall housed
the school’s temporary library
during construction of the new
$4.1 million administration block.
“So all our books have been
saved — that ’s some good news.”
The hall also housed a
temporary sports office, staff
room, and senior administration
rooms, which were all scheduled
to shift into the new building this
Today ’s NCEA and scholarship
exams were unaffected.
— Otago Daily Times
Police are treating as suspicious two
car fires in D unedin, one in a central
car park building that caused a pall of
acrid smoke to drift over the city early
Senior sergeant Brian Benn said the
first fire, near the Leviathan Hotel in
Cumberland Street, was called in at
It caused minor damage to the front
bumper of a Ford Focus.
The second was at the Wilson’s
Parking building in Moray Place, on
the Octagon level of the building.
The Fire Ser vice sent four appliances
from the D unedin station following a
call at 6.32am.
A Mazda Capella was damaged in
the incident, and the area around the
Part of Moray Place was closed off
while the Fire Ser vice fought the
fire and extracted smoke from the
Mr Benn said the CIB was
investigating the fires.
He could not confirm the two were
linked, nor whether they had been lit
on purpose, but said: “ We don’t believe
in spontaneous combustion.”
Fire communications centre shift
manager Andrew Norris said all levels
of the building were filled with smoke,
and three large fans were used to clear
Police had been in touch with a
fire investigator. He said there were
no reports of serious damage to the
building. — Otago Daily Times
Police probe suspicious car fires
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
A police officer at the scene of Saturday ’s car fire at Wilson Park building in
Moray Place, D unedin.
Six people have been arrested in
Whanganui following the death of a
man after an assault last night.
The 57-year-old died following an
assault at a property in Rimu Street,
The assault is believed to be connected
to a dispute between individuals who are
known to each other.
A post-mortem examination is
expected to be conducted tomorrow and
police said details regarding the victim
would not be released until next of kin
Police are not looking for anyone else
in relation to the assault, but would like
to hear from any witnesses. — NZ ME
Six arrests follow
Girl, 9, dies after school incident
A nine-year-old girl died with
family by her side after she was
found at her primary school in a
Staff at Somerset Crescent School
in Palmerston North found the
injured girl on Tuesday.
chairman Tony Coffin said she
was taken straight from the school
to Palmerston North Hospital’s
intensive care unit.
The girl died in hospital with
family at her side, he said.
The coroner is investigating.
It is thought the girl may have
harmed herself at the school.
However, Mr Coffin said the
coroner would have to determine
how the girl died.
“ We don’t know if it was suicide
or not,” he said. “ We don’t know
what ’s happened.”
Mr Coffin said the school was
close-knit, and it was working to
help the girl’s devastated family.
“It’s pretty sad all round obviously. ”
The girl’s funeral will take place
“ We are supporting the family
. . . we’ve supported them right from
the start really.”
Specialist help was brought to the
school to help explain the tragedy
to the girl’s friends. — NZ ME
The man who died after being
struck by a vehicle west of Nelson
on Friday has been named as Sergei
The 21-year-old, from Nelson,
was walking along Te Mamaku
Drive near Mapua when he was
fatally hit about 10.25pm on Friday.
Police were still investigating
the incident and have received a
number of calls from people who
were travelling on The Coastal
Highway and Te Mamaku Drive
It was earlier reported, shortly
before the man was struck, they
received reports about a cyclist in
dark clothing riding along the same
road in a manner that worried a
“A bicycle was located a short
distance from where the pedestrian
was struck and killed and inquiries
reveal that the cyclist and pedestrian
are one and the same person.”
Police name dead cyclist
Links Archive November 7th 2015 November 10th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page