Home' Greymouth Star : November 10th 2015 Contents www.greystar.co.nz
PHONE 769 7900
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
of the New Zealand Herald
Joseph Parker’s journey towards a
heavyweight title fight will see him
tested in the coming months against two
new challenging opponents confirmed by
promoters D uco Events yesterday.
The 23-year-old South Aucklander will
take on 2.03m American, Daniel ‘The
Mountain’ Martz at the Fight for Life in
Hamilton on December 5 before focusing
on rugged American southpaw Jason
Bergman at the Rumble in Paradise in
Samoa on January 23.
Martz will be the tallest opponent
Parker has faced while the Bergman fight
will be his first professional bout against a
Both fights loom as intriguing tests
for the Kiwi-born Samoan with Martz
having a proven reputation as brawler.
In the case of Bergman, Parker has not
fought a southpaw since his amateur
Duco Events director David Higgins
said the time was right to expose Parker
to some tougher fights and get him
accustomed to tangling with bigger and
“ With Joseph having captured the
public’s imagination, we realise there is
now tremendous interest and scrutiny
in how we pick opponents,” Higgins
“So the message the fans can take from
today ’s announcement is that we are
serious about readying him for a world
“Even though Joseph is 6’4” (1.93m),
he is shorter than the biggest names in
the heavyweight division like Wladimir
Klitschko (1.98m); Deontay Wilder (2m)
and Tyson Fury (2.05m).”
Trainer Kevin Barry says a similar
rationale is behind the selection of
Bergman for the New Year showdown in
“There are a number of quality
southpaws in the heavyweight division,
the most obvious being 1.85m WBA
champion, Ruslan Chagaev,” Barry said.
“Joe is currently ranked 13th by the
WBA and rising fast so Chagaev is most
definitely in our sights.”
Bergman, 31, fits the bill as a tough
opponent with 16 wins from his last 18
The immediate focus though, is Martz
with 11 of his 14 wins coming by way of
At just 24, Martz is also the youngest
opponent Parker will have faced.
Parker will be the seventh undefeated
opponent (16 wins, 14 knockouts) the
towering American has fought in a three
year, 17-fight professional career.
To put that in perspective, pound-for-
pound king Floyd Mayweather fought
only three undefeated opponents in a
glittering 18-year, 49-fight career.
NSW rugby league
captain Paul Gallen has
Been offered $50,000 for
a four-round rematch
with his first professional
for ward Gallen last week
extended his professional
record to 4-0 with a
points win over fellow
NRL player Bodene
Thompson in Auckland.
his pro boxing career in
February 2014, when
he stopped Ene-Purcell
in the second round
in Sydney, after being
knocked down in the
Brendan Smith last
Friday initially offered
Gallen $30,000 to
fight Ene-Purcell in
Toowoomba on January
When the offer was
declined, Smith upped it
to $40,000 on Saturday,
but again got knocked
Yesterday he increased
the offer to $50,000 plus
a third of tv revenue
generated by the fight
and expected an answer
within 48 hours.
“The first bout between
Herman and Paul had a
bit of everything, from
knockdowns to punches
after the bell,” Smith
“ Herman has wanted
this rematch from the
day after the first bout.
He knocked Paul Gallen
down in the opening
round but Paul came
back and won the bout.
If we get the rematch we
firmly believe Herman
can square the ledger.”
Samoan Ene-Purcell 20,
has won six of his eight
fights since losing to
Gallen to improve his
record to 7-4 .
of the New Zealand Herald
Australian cricketer Rod Marsh once
refused to sign a cricket bat carrying Chris
Cairns’ autograph because of the taint of
match-fixing rumours surrounding the New
The snub was given as an example of Cairns
being given the “cold shoulder” in sections
of the cricketing fraternity following his
dismissal from the Indian Cricket League
in October 2008.
His friend Andrew Fitch-Holland, the
final witness in the trial, told the jury about
how he wrote a letter to the International
Cricket Council in late 2009 to clarify
whether Cairns was being investigated.
The ICC replied to say that the ICL was
not under its jurisdiction.
“As far as I was aware, I took that as
confirmation the ICC weren’t sniffing
around Chris,” Fitch-Holland said, who is
jointly charged with Cairns of per verting
the course of justice.
Asked why he wrote to the ICC, Fitch-
Holland referred to the “Rod Marsh
The court heard that Marsh, a wicketkeeper
for Australia in the 1980s and currently a
national selector, refused to autograph a
cricket bat for a charity auction because
Cairns had already signed it.
Marsh heard a match-fixing rumour about
Cairns from someone in the ICC, said
Fitch-Holland, so it was decided he should
write to the governing body for clarification.
Lalit Modi posted a tweet online in January
2010 which alleged Cairns was involved in
match-fixing, so the cricketer took libel
proceedings against the millionaire cricket
Cairns eventually won the case at a trial
in 2012 and Modi was forced to pay 90,000
pounds in damages, as well as Cairns’
substantial legal costs.
Despite investing “countless hours” helping
Cairns prepare for the case, and borrowing
hundreds of pounds to travel into L ondon
each day for the trial, Fitch-Holland said
Cairns did not honour a promise to cover
He wrote a lengthy e-mail in which he
said Cairns “had made him feel like a fool”
in order to embarrass him into paying him.
Their close friendship was also strained by
Fitch-Holland’s opinion of Cairns leaving
his second wife Carin in order to start a new
In his interview with police shortly before
his arrest, Fitch-Holland was disparaging
of Cairns’ third wife Mel and described her
as the “kind of girl who liked bright, shiny
In cross-examination, Sasha Wass QC
asked if he meant “bright, shiny things like
diamonds” and if Fitch-Holland thought
Mel Cairns was a “gold digger”.
He said that was a “fair indication at the
time, but not my opinion now ”.
The court has previously heard accusations
from the Crown prosecutor that Cairns was
paid $US250,000 by a diamond trader in
Dubai as payment for fixing cricket matches
in the ICL.
Cairns has told the jury he was on a
retainer as an ambassador for the diamond
company and was trying to forge a new
career in the industry.
At one point during the cross-examination,
Justice Nigel Sweeney chastised Fitch-
Holland and Ms Wass for “tendentious
arguments” and to ask “proper questions”
and give “proper answers”.
The flashpoint came as Ms Wass
questioned Fitch-Holland ’s explanation of
comments attributed to him in 2010.
Last week, Fitch-Holland gave evidence
about a cricket match between Bromley and
Lashings, an annual festival match which
included a “massive lunch” for 1000 under a
Chris Harris, the former New Zealand
cricketer played for Lashings, and has
previously given evidence at trial about the
lunch in 2010.
Fitch-Holland joined a conversation at the
lunch, said Harris, and someone else said
words to the effect of “Poor Cairnsy, what ’s
Harris said Fitch-Holland responded: “Oh
he’s guilty, Cairnsy ’s guilty.”
He thought the match-fixing defamation
case against Lalit Modi was the context of
the “Cairnsy ’s guilty” comment from Fitch-
Fitch-Holland said he was “plastered” from
drinking alcohol and could not remember
saying those words.
If he did say those words, Fitch-Holland
said he could have said “Cairnsy ’ guilty”
but in the context of his personal life, not
match-fixing. “I would have said the only
thing Chris Cairns is guilty of is not keeping
his trousers zipped up.”
In cross-examination, Ms Wass said Chris
Harris was “struck” by the comment and
thought Fitch-Holland was trying to boast
of “inside knowledge”.
She said there was no reason for Fitch-
Holland to think the conversation was about
Cairns’ personal life, as he had split from his
wife two years before the lunch in question.
Fitch-Holland said he was drunk and
not part of the conversation — that it was
a throwaway comment about his friend’s
“I could not have said Chris is guilty in
the context of match-fixing because I have
never ever believed that to be the case.”
Mitchell Starc received a rebuke from his
captain and a fine from the International
Cricket Council for being too aggressive in
the 208-run win over New Zealand at the
Gabba yesterday, almost a year after he was
criticised for appearing to be too meek in a
match at the same venue.
Starc fielded the ball that New Zealand’s
Mark Craig had blocked from his bowling
and threw it back toward the batting end,
as Australia’s bowlers sought to end the
frustrating and free-hitting last-wicket stand.
“It was pretty disappointing,” Smith said.
“ Hes done it a few times and I’m going
to have a word to him. I don’t think it was
necessary ... there wasn’t an opportunity for a
run-out there. It was just a bit of frustration
and he just needs to let it out in other ways.”
Starc bowled the fastest delivery of the
match — at almost 150kph — not long after,
and eventually picked up the last wicket,
having Trent Boult (15) caught behind.
Craig scored an unbeaten 26 in a 46-run
partnership with Boult, a record for a last-
wicket New Zealand pair at the Gabba,
delaying what had become by then an
inevitable Australian victory.
“I don’t think he needs to apologize,” Smith
“I just don’t think he needs to do it in the
Starc later admitted to a breach of Article
2.2.8 of the ICC Code of Conduct, which
relates to throwing a ball or equipment
at or near another player or official in an
inappropriate or dangerous manner, and was
fined 50% of his match fee by match referee
The left-arm paceman returned 4-57 in the
first innings and 2-69 in the second, with his
six wickets being the most of any bowler in
Starc has become one of the leading
bowlers in international cricket over the past
year since former spin great Shane Warne
criticised him for his body language on a hot,
humid day during a test win over India in
Starc starred in the one-day format during
Australia’s World Cup win, earning high
praise for his swing and more particularly
his yorker, but there were question marks
over whether he and fellow left-arm quick
Mitchell Johnson were too similar to be in
the same attack.
Smith said the new-ball bowling wasn’t
on the right length at the Gabba, but was
generally impressed with the bowlers in
the series-opening match and expected
improvement at the WACA for the second
test in Perth, where the pitch usually offers
good pace and bounce.
Starc was reprimanded by the ICC for
yelling at Murali Vijay after dismissing the
Indian batsman during a match in Sydney
earlier this year, and was also involved in a
contentious episode in a recent series in
England in September when his attempted
run-out throw was obstructed by batsman
Ben Stokes, who was adjudged to be out as
New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum
gave Starc the benefit of the doubt, saying he
hoped the Australian bowler was attempting
to hit the stumps rather than the batsman.
“The game was played in really good spirits,”
he said. “I hope he was trying to aim at the
stumps and if that ’s the case and it slipped
out then we’ll give him the benefit of the
doubt.” — New Zealand Herald
New Zealand are expected to take a big punt
on senior seamer Tim Southee being fit for
the second test against Australia starting in
Perth on Friday.
Captain Brendon McCullum said Southee,
troubled by a disc injury in his back and
invalided out of the attack early on the second
day of the Gabba test, will be given every
chance to be ready for the WACA as New
Zealand prepare to mount a major comeback
after losing the first test by 208 runs yesterday.
Indeed McCullum hinted he favoured only
one forced change, someone to replace the
injured Jimmy Neesham.
“I thought he started to come right pretty
quickly, which is a good sign, and I’m
expecting Tim will be available,” McCullum
said of Southee.
“He’s as hard as nails and if he is anywhere
near fit then Tim will play. He’s one of our
leaders, an outstanding bowler and he showed
in the first innings he will pose a lot of
questions for them.”
If they back Southee, New Zealand will
surely do so with fingers crossed and aware of
the need to be sure they have sufficient fast-
medium cover in case of a relapse.
Left armers Neil Wagner and Mitchell
McClenaghan will be in the thinking, but
Matt Henry may have first dibs. That could
have New Zealand fielding four seamers,
Mark Craig — on the back of a ringing
endorsement from his captain yesterday —
batting at No 7, and a worryingly long tail.
Playing B J Watling as a specialist batsman
and bringing in Luke Ronchi to keep would
help the batting, but would leave just four
specialist bowlers. That could be dicing with
disaster if Australia’s batsmen get away as they
did on day one at the Gabba.
New Zealand do have form for bouncing
back effectively after losing opening tests of
series recently, notably in the United Arab
Emirates and England within the past year.
The WACA ground and the opponents,
with their tails up, make this a vastly harder
Among the curious moments in the first
test was New Zealand players’ propensity
for rushing up to departing Australian
centurymakers to congratulate them as they
left the field.
It tallies with New Zealand ’s good guy
image, and gets a mocking from Australian
media, and even some of their players.
David Warner remarked before the first test
that Australia were not in the game to win
spirit of cricket awards.
Australian media found the handshaking
either bemusing or plain dopey, especially
when Warner and opener Joe Burns had
scored the softest hundreds they will ever
get against seriously ordinary New Zealand
bowling in the second innings.
The impression is New Zealand could do
with taking some harden-up pills.
Sure, it may go against the often-stated
philosophy of how McCullum’s team want to
play their cricket. But the corollary is that one
team looks determinedly ruthless, the other
not pushing back as hard as they might.
Tough rivals set to test Parker
PICTURE: Getty Images
Joseph Parker celebrates after beating Kali Meehan last month in Auckland.
PICTURE: Getty Images
Australian cricketer Mitchell Starc goes to hurl the ball back at Black Cap Mark Craig.
Starc cops fine
Black Caps banking on Southee
Rod Marsh refused to sign bat carrying Cairns’ autograph
A Wellington club rugby player has
died a day after three of his All Black
friends visited him at his Wellington
hospice bed, bringing him the Webb
Several friends confirmed on social
media that Misiluni Moananu passed
away this morning.
Wellington All Blacks Dane Coles,
Ma’a Nonu and Victor Vito took the
Cup to visit the 38-year-old, who was
suffering from bowel cancer.
Moananu watched the World Cup final
from his hospital bed, and was moved to
the Mary Potter Hospice the next day,
Stuff has reported. The All Black stars
spent about two hours with Moananu,
who was not fully conscious.
Moananu was a premier player for
Poneke and coached for various clubs an
schools. His older brother Fa’atoto said
Moananu knew Coles through Poneke,
ABs take Cup to mates’ beside
Links Archive November 9th 2015 November 11th 2015 Navigation Previous Page