Home' Greymouth Star : November 26th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
West Coast/New Zealand
Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 5
Police will again be enforcing a
reduced 4kph speed threshold for
all of December and January, with a
highly visible presence on the nation’s
roads as part of a targeted road safety
Every driver stopped can also expect
to be breath tested.
Police said the focus of the summer
campaign was to ensure safer speeds,
given that speed not only influences
the likelihood of a crash, but also the
injury severity and sur vivability at the
time of impact.
Targeting impaired driving would
also continue to be a strong focus.
“Police want all families to have a
great summer that is memorable for
the good times, not a summer ruined
by the grief of losing a family member
to a fatal crash,” national road
policing manager Superintendent
Stephen Greally said.
“It’s the loved ones that are left
behind that have to carry the pain
and devastation a fatal crash causes.
“ Police and emergency response
staff understand first-hand the grief
and trauma that is caused by road
Mr Greally said for police, seeing the
carnage at the roadside was traumatic
enough, but the worst part was when
officers had to knock on the door of
a family and tell them a loved one
has been killed or seriously injured.
He said while the long-term road toll
trend was tracking downwards, police
and partner agencies are concerned at
the current rate of road deaths, which
is tracking 22 higher than at the same
time last year.
“Sadly, this year’s annual road toll is
higher than last year.
“ It ’s important to remember each
and every number in the road toll
represents a lost life — a parent, child,
brother, sister or friend who will be
greatly missed,” Mr Greally said.
Similar to the previous two summer
holiday periods police will be
enforcing the reduced 4kph speed
threshold from December 1 to
January 31 next year.
This means anyone
exceeding the posted speed limit by
more than 4kph should expect to be
“The reality is that drivers have
a simple choice: check your speed,
keep to the safe posted speed limit,
and avoid a ticket — or worse — a
potentially life-altering crash,” Mr
“Aside from the fact police do
not receive a cent in fines, or that
it actually costs us money to issue
notices, we’d be delighted to never
issue another one, as it would show
that everyone was driving safely and
responsibly, and the trauma on our
roads would reduce overnight. ”
The previous two summers marked
the two lowest recorded number
of deaths for a December-January
period since records began.
From December 1, 2014 to January
31, 2015 there were 50 road deaths,
compared to 42 road deaths the
December-January road toll recorded
in the last 25 years was 124 deaths in
This summer drivers will see
billboards around the country asking
them to “check your speed”.
The majority of the rural billboard
sites have been selected according to
their proximity to crashes between
2010 and 2014, where ‘too fast for the
conditions’ was a crash contributor.
Selection was made using police
and road safety sector data.
The road safety campaign is backed
strongly by Safer Journeys partners
ACC, NZ Transport Agency and the
Ministry of Transport.
“All those involved in road safety
support the police efforts to reduce
deaths and serious injuries on our
roads,” the chairman of the National
Road Safety Committee, Martin
“ We all want our friends and
families to be safe when they are
travelling on the roads over summer.”
Mr Greally said an increased police
presence on the roads means everyone
should expect to be stopped and
breath-tested anywhere, any time.
However, police could not do it
“ Families, friends and whanau
need to step up and play their part.
Police will also focus on drivers who
impede the flow of traffic, and will
issue notices where appropriate,” Mr
“ We remind those drivers to pull
over where safe to allow traffic to
pass, as what we want to avoid is
other drivers becoming frustrated
then taking risks that put themselves
and other road users at risk.
safety is everyone’s
responsibility. Nobody wants to share
the road with someone who is not
paying attention, speeding or who
has been drinking.
“So please look after each other and
make smart decisions on the road this
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Police tougher on speed tolerance
Joel Edward Green was convicted
in the Greymouth District Court
on Tuesday of shoplifting and
sentenced to 80 hours of community
work for theft on October 15.
Green was in The Warehouse
when he loaded a stereo into his
trolley and began to push it towards
the exit. A shop attendant asked if
he had paid for the stereo, and he
went back to the electronics desk,
getting a price check on the item.
He then again proceeded towards
the exit and this time left the
store. However, the store attendant
followed him and asked him if he
had paid for the item. Ignoring
him, Green put the stereo into the
boot of his car and tried to drive
away. However, the store attendant
stopped him from reversing the car
and retrieved the stereo.
Lawyer Eymard Bradley said
Green had lost his job around the
time of the offending, and had
done a very “impulsive thing ”.
However he was now back in work
A Blackball man slid his car 70m
across the road and crashed it while
more than twice the drink-drive
Eden Heremia Bush, 19, was fined
$700 and banned from driving for
On October 25, Bush was driving
along a winding, uphill section
of the Blackball-Taylor ville Road
when he lost control of his car,
which slid along the road before
crashing into some scrub.
Bush and his passenger left the
car and were picked up by some
associates, however police later
tracked the teenager back to his
home address in Blackball, where
a breath test produced a result of
Bush admitted to police that he
had been drinking, and that he had
made a silly mistake by driving.
Judge Robert Murfitt said the day
of the accident was Bush’s “ lucky
“ From the photos you could easily
have been killed. You had no place
being behind the wheel of a car.”
A Cobden woman who kicked
in part of her mother’s door after
she could not see her child was
remanded to December 8 for
breach of bail and wilful damage.
Shanar Ruiha Rose-Ann Yorke,
37, visited her mother’s house on
October 23 to see her daughter.
However, as Yorke was in an
agitated state, her mother would
not allow her, so she kicked in the
bottom part of the door.
She was remanded to December
8, when Yorke will be sentenced on
a number of other charges.
A recent import to the West
Coast from Timaru was given a
nine-month suspended sentence
for possession of a cannabis plant
and a cannabis pipe.
On November 5, Jasmine Rose
Harrington was a passenger in a
car in Timaru, when it was stopped
by police. Between the front seats
police found a small yellow tin,
which contained less than 1g of
cannabis material, alongside a
metal pipe used for smoking the
drug, and a burner used for spotting
the drug, which was disguised as a
USB memory stick. A small pair of
scissors were also found.
Police found a large bong and 13g
of the drug in the back of the car.
Lawyer Eymard Bradley said
Harrington had recently been
in a car crash and had suffered a
compressed spine as a result of the
accident. Therefore it was not clear
when she might be suitable for
completing a possible community
work sentence, if one was
Judge Robert Murfitt said he was
satisfied the amounts of the drug
were small enough that it was for
A Greymouth man was told that
he had consumed a “drink and a
half too much” before he chose to
drove as he was was convicted of
excess breath-alcohol, fined $400
and banned from driving for six
Daniel John Shankie Van
Hulst, 26, of Greymouth, was
driving on Main South Road on
November 1 when he was stopped
by police and breath tested, blowing
479mg. Hulst told police he
thought he was okay to drive.
Lawyer George Linder said it was
Hulst ’s first offence.
Judge Murfitt said Hulst ’s blood-
alcohol level was “a drink and a half
A Greymouth man was warned
that his drinking was a “cause
for concern” as he was convicted
of drink-driving, fined $570 and
banned from driving for six months.
On October 25, Jack Winter, 20,
was driving in Greymouth when he
was stopped by police and breath
tested, blowing 757mg.
When questioned he told police
that he had been “driving a friend
home”, and he had “only drunk two
Lawyer Marcus Zintl said that
at the time of the offence Winter
had been “going through a rough
patch” as he had to find another
place to live. However, he now had
a new job working on a dairy farm
at Springs Junction and was keen to
make a “fresh start”.
Judge Murfitt warned Winter
that his drinking was a worry: “ You
need to be very aware that your
drinking is a cause for concern, you
need to take radical action, either
by abstaining from alcohol or by
engaging in useful counselling. ”
An Australian man whose unique
name made international headlines
has finally admitted it was a prank.
In January, ‘Phuc Dat Bich’ posted
a photo of his passport on-line
saying that his Facebook account
was shut down several times because
administrators did not believe he was
using his real name.
Since then the passport image has
been ‘shared’ almost 85,000 times and
‘ liked’ more than 165,000 times.
It recently attracted an international
“I find it highly irritating that
nobody seems to believe me when I
say my full legal name is how you see
it,” he wrote on Facebook alongside
the photo at the time.
“ I’ve been accused of using a false
and misleading name which I find
very offensive. Is it because I’m Asian?
“ Having my Facebook shut down
multiple times and forced to change
my name to my ‘real’ name, so just
to put it out there. My name. Yours
sincerely, Phuc Dat Bich. ”
now identifies himself as ‘Joe Carr’ —
likens himself to the boy who cried
He starts his confession by saying:
“Do you remember the story; The boy
who cried wolf ?
“Imagine that boy grew up into a
mischievous man with 21st century
technology at his finger tips.”
He ends the post: “Yours sincerely,
Joe Carr aka PDB.”
Australia’s SBS News reported that
it had been unable to verify if Joe Carr
was the man’s real name.
His new post at 6.44pm this evening
came just hours after SBS News
contacted him with concerns.
Its Vietnamese programme found his
supposedly Vietnamese name “ highly
unlikely to be real”, because Bich was
never used as a surname.
“I’ve never believed it’s necessary for
it to be mandatory to have your entire
name to be published on social media,”
the prankster wrote on Facebook.
“People should be free to use any
name they desire. Facebook needs to
understand that it is utterly impossible
to legitimise a place where there will
always be pranksters and tricksters. ”
The episode showed that an “average
joe” like him could con the biggest
news sources with ease, he said.
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
Unique name was a prank
The man who wanted the world to believe he was Phuc Dat Bich.
Fonterra Cooperative Group, the
world’s largest dairy exporter, has set
a target of becoming the number one
dairy player in China and doubling its
business in the country to $10 billion
within the next five years.
Speaking at the co-operative’s annual
meeting in Waitoa yesterday, chief
executive Theo Spierings said the new
plan meant China could become 25% to
30% of total revenue.
When asked whether that would
expose the co-operative to too much risk
in one country, Spierings said China’s
provinces could almost be regarded as
countries in their own right.
“ Local governments are getting much
stronger,” he said. But the company
was also driving growth throughout
southeast Asia and into Latin America,
China and Russia are the two biggest
dairy markets in the world and had both
reduced demand for different reasons in
the past 12 months, but chairman John
Wilson said Fonterra had shown it had
the strength to sell into other global
markets as well. In the past three months
demand in China has been returning as
inventory levels drop.
Spierings said the next business plan
would consider the right timing to
resume production in China, which
would be considered by the management
team in March/April and the plan put
before the board in June.
He said Fonterra did not want to
build “assets for assets’ sake” and there
had been considerable interest from
potential partners, many of whom
were customers, in working with the
cooperative on its manufacturing needs
in China. Even without that partner, it
could still make sense to go ahead once
fresh milk produced by its own farms
reach sufficient levels of about 400
million litres of milk annually.
Fonterra’s managing director of
international farming, Alan van der
Nagel, said last week that it would take
another two years to become profitable
after it posted a loss of $44 million in
the 2015 financial year. The company
is proceeding with a US$300 million,
51/49 joint venture with Abbott
Laboratories to build a third farming
hub, which van der Nagel said would
mean the group had the capacity to
produce 600 million litres a year of milk
from its three China hubs.
Under Fonterra’s new strategy its
China business would be comprised of
60% ingredients, 20% consumer and
20% foodser vice, developing leading
brands, access to more high quality
milk, selling more on-line, and multi
hub assets connected to China to meet
demand, it said.
Christina Zhu, managing director
Greater China, told the meeting that
Fonterra had set some challenging
targets for the 2016 financial year but
the business was off to a strong start.
E-commerce was “changing the game”
in China, where huge growth was
expected for sales on-line, for food in
particular, she said.
The Beingmate Baby and Child Food
Co partnership, where Fonterra has
invested $750 million to take an 18.8%
stake in the company, was a key factor
in Fonterra’s success in China, she said.
“This is something we need.” The joint
venture agreement to run Fonterra’s loss-
making Darnum plant in Q ueensland
has been approved by the Beingmate
board and shareholders.
Fonterra aims to become
top dairy player in China
A remit to cut the size of Fonterra’s
board from the current number of 13
to nine achieved 53.8% support at the
annual meeting of the co-operative, but
was still short of the 75% required for it
to become a reality.
The remit, put forward by former
directors Colin Armer and Greg Gent,
attracted heated debate at the annual
meeting, with a sizeable proportion of
400 or so shareholders present giving it
Neither the board, nor the Fonterra
Shareholder’s Council, supported the
Armer and Gengt argued that a
smaller board would make it more
efficient and quicker at responding
to changes in market conditions. In
speaking to the remit, Gent said: “O ur
sole aim its to promote a fitter and
leaner Fonterra.” Chairman John Wilson
told the meeting that Fonterra and the
Fonterra Shareholders’ Council were
already working to develop a discussion
document on corporate governance,
which is to be put to shareholders mid-
way through next year.
The revamp of Fonterra’s governance
had been on the drawing board in 2012
but WPC80 food safety scare, which
required a high level of board and elective
attention, meant the issue had been put
to one side, he said.
Many of the farmer shareholders at
the annual meeting spoke on the issue
of governance, and the milk price which
is currently forecast at $4.60 a kg of
milksolids — well below their cost of
Wilson told reporters it was clear from
the meeting, and from meetings held
with farmers around the country, that
shareholders were keen on a smaller
“There is support for a smaller board
and a good quality discussion around
governance and representation,” said
Wilson, who was re-elected to the board
after retiring by rotation.
Gent told the meeting he believed,
with the 54% showing of support, “that
something will happen” on the question
Wilson told the annual meeting that, as
a competitive person, he was not happy
that Fonterra’s payout was third behind
the other two co-ops’ — Westland and
Chief executive Theo Spierings said the
dairy market globally was being affected
by “turbulent times” and instability
around the world. “ We need to stay the
course and stay focused on our strategy.”
One shareholder said farmer morale
“A number of people are moving away
from Fonterra — that means that we have
got a communications problem,” Shane
Adern, a farmer from Taranaki, said.
Remit to cut the size of Fonterra’s board comes up short
A man has been arrested and charged
with aggravated robbery after a Cromwell
man was allegedly assaulted with a
baseball bat at his Cromwell home
Detective sergeant Derek Millar said
a 23-year-old man was arrested late
yesterday morning at Chatto Creek, near
Alexandra, in the victim’s Ford Falcon
after it was spotted by a policeman.
About six people arrived at the Waenga
Dr home yesterday morning while
the 43-year-old victim was asleep in a
caravan in the driveway. He was allegedly
assaulted with a baseball bat and his Ford
Falcon stolen, Mr Millar said.
Police were alerted to the incident at
6.18am when the victim called emergency
services. He was admitted to D unstan
Hospital with head injuries and serious
bruising and discharged early yesterday
The 23-year-old man will appear in
the Q ueenstown District Court today.
— Otago Daily Times
Man assaulted with baseball bat
GAMES & PRIZES • V8 SIMULATOR • BBQ BREAKFAST • ALL-DAY SAUSAGE SIZZLE
6 Hinau Cr, Kaiata Park
P 03 768 4880
0800 93 7473 hynds.c o.n z
Public Open Day
You are invited to our
Friday 27th Nov 2015
7:30am – 4pm
Massive Tool Clearance! On Select Stock
y 27th Nov 2015
Terms and Conditions: Winners of competition prize draws must be on site at 4pm to receive their prize,
otherwise redraw will take place. Prizes are not transferrable or exchangeable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
Links Archive November 25th 2015 November 27th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page