Home' Greymouth Star : November 28th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Saturday, November 28, 2015
The owner of a fishing trawler
who provided fraudulent paper work
to Maritime New Zealand was
convicted of the offence and fined
$1000. He pleaded guilty to the
Mark Thomas was inter viewed
by staff from the organisation on
October 16 about an accident in
September last year. Thomas provided
them with a crew list, alongside a
record of training, which he said had
been completed by a member of his
crew. On November 25, Thomas was
again inter viewed, and he admitted
providing fraudulent paper work.
Lawyer Marcus Zintl said a fine
in the region of $1000 was an
appropriate punishment, as Thomas
had an “unblemished career”, and this
had been his first offence.
Mr Zintl also said that Thomas had
“glowing references” from Westfleet,
the company he was contracted to,
and Birchfield Minerals.
Mr Zintl also said the crew member
had completed the training, but as he
had been in Christchurch, Thomas
had filled in the paper work on his
behalf. He had only “misled” the
organisation, Mr Zintl said.
Eymard Bradley, acting on agency
instructions said that there had been a
“degree of pre-meditation” to Thomas
providing two false documents, which
undermined the effectiveness of the
Maritime New Zealand system”.
Judge Murfitt said Thomas panicked
and signed the documents himself.
“ It is important for the integrity and
effectiveness of health and safety of
crew members that honest reporting
is maintained. On this occasion, you
slipped up. ”
Photos of hunting and the fact
someone had moved abroad helped
a 42-year-old Runanga man get his
bail application granted to December
15 on drugs, breach of protection
order and firearms charges.
Robin Irwin was charged with
possession of a shotgun and
ammunition, breach of a protection
order, possession of a cannabis
plant and cannabis cultivation, on
Lawyer Richard Bodle said Irwin
had been declined bail when he
appeared in the Westport District
Court, however he said Irwin would
be pleading guilty to most of the
charges once police had withdrawn
one charge and amended another.
Mr Bodle said the main reason
for Irwin being refused bail was the
perceived link between the drugs and
the firearms. He passed up photos to
the judge, which he also showed to
the police, showing Irwin hunting,
the pastime for which the defendant
had the guns.
Mr Bodle also said the defendant
had breached the protection order
by being in possession of a firearm,
however, after 10 years Irwin thought
the order had lapsed. The lawyer also
said that the protected person was
now out of the country.
Judge Murfitt agreed to grant Irwin
A 21-year-old Greymouth man was
told that it was a “close run thing”
as he was granted electronically
Dylan James Ellis appeared on
charges of possession of a weapon,
intentional damage and threatening
to injure on September 17, disorderly
behaviour on September 19, burglary
on September 24, threatening to
injure and possession of a weapon on
October 5, possession of two cannabis
bongs, possession of a weapon and
possession of explosives on October
Lawyer Richard Bodle said that
while the offending had occurred,
Ellis had been living in Reefton.
He fully appreciated he had made a
mistake by moving back there from
Mr Bodle said that at the time of
the offence Ellis had been under
the influence of homebrew, made by
one of his associates. However, that
person had stopped making it. The
defendant had been so affected by the
homebrew, he could not remember
what he did, but did not think he had
done what he was charged with.
He said Ellis had been having a
hard time in jail, something which
had been exacerbated by his size.
Judge Murfitt said it was a “close
run thing, but I am going to grant
you electronically monitored bail”.
He told Ellis that he needed to
“stay teetotal — if you breach these
conditions, you are going to be back
in the system”.
A Christchurch man was told by a
judge that he had a “ brain explosion”
as he banned him from driving for
six months and fined him $300
after convicting him of possession of
cannabis, possession of a firearm, and
sustained loss of traction. He pleaded
guilty to the charges.
Damien Richard Buchanan was
driving in Timaru on July 28 when
he revved the engine in his car and
did a 180 degree turn in a car park.
He then did two 360 degree turns in
another car park.
Lawyer George Linder said that the
defendant had gone for a drive with
a friend, and he did not recall doing
what he was charged with.
Judge Murfitt said Buchanan had a
“ brain explosion, like a lot of young
guys, you get behind the wheel of a
car and show off ”.
Fishing boat owner ‘panicked’
Six months since its launch the West
Coast Health Shuttle is at times operating
daily, taking people to health appointments.
Run by St John and sponsored by Four
Square, the shuttle relies on a team of
20 volunteer drivers in Hokitika and
They collect people from around
Greymouth, the Grey Valley and Hokitika
and take them to health appointments
including specialist appointments at Grey
Base Hospital, hearing clinics, physio, or
While the Hokitika rest home was closed
for flood repairs, the shuttle brought
spouses up to visit their family temporarily
relocated to Greymouth.
“ When we first started, it was going out
one or twice a week,” St John shuttle co-
ordinator Anita Calder said.
“ But now, it can leave the station every
If there are multiple appointments, people
are informed they may have to wait a while
to come home. If people from different
geographic areas need to be collected at
the same time, they are encouraged to call
the booking unit to see if their time can be
The clients are mainly older, but they
have also collected children from school for
Driver Stella Bakker has volunteered from
“ I enjoy the driving,” she said. “ We hear
some great stories. And we get all different
sorts of people.”
People who use the ser vice are asked for a
However, there is no fee and all the
drivers are volunteers.
St John is also keen to hear from anyone
interested in becoming a volunteer driver.
People can book the shuttle by calling
0800 009 865 between 9am and 3pm
PICTURE: Laura Mills
Stella Bakker, left, and Moira Devlin prepare to take the health shuttle to Hokitika.
Health shuttle popular
Pike River appeal
The High Court has decided not to
review the decision not to proceed with the
prosecution against the former head of the
Pike River Mine, Peter Whittall.
He had faced 12 health and safety charges
relating to the deaths of 29 men after a series
of explosions at the West Coast coal mine five
The prosecution was dropped after an
insurance payment of more than $3 million
was made to the families of the men who died.
Two women who lost family members in
the disaster had asked the court to review the
decision by Work Safe New Zealand not to
offer any evidence on the charges.
Anna Osborne, whose husband was killed in
the mine blast, and Sonya Rockhouse, whose
son died, were assisted in their legal bid by the
Council of Trade Unions (CTU).
In his decision, Justice Brown said he did
not accept the offer of $3.4 million stifled
The judge said it was not an unprincipled
and unlawful binding agreement, as suggested
by the applicants, but a voluntary payment
and one in the nature of reparation to disaster
It was considered in that light by those
making the decision on whether to prosecute,
Mrs Rockhouse said she was shocked at the
judge’s ruling, as she believed the families had
a very strong case.
She said they would continue to fight the
decision not to prosecute Mr Whittall.
“If they think we’re going away because of
this, well, they can think again because we
“One of the lawyers said this is a game of
two halves and this is just the first half.
“ We aren’t going away, and this was going to
be some sort of justice for us - and, yet again,
we’ve been denied.”
CTU spokesperson Helen Kelly said Mr
Whittall was essentially able to pay money to
“ We don’t agree with that. Either the law is
an ass and we want that repealed and changed,
or else the judge is wrong and we may appeal
During the hearing on whether to review
the case, in the High Court in Wellington in
May, Worksafe New Zealand lawyer Joanna
Holden said a range of factors was considered
when the decision was made not to prosecute
Ms Holden said the prosecution accepted
there was no causative link between his
alleged offending and what happened at the
mine, and that was also the police’s view.
Cost was also a factor, she said, as was the
availability of witnesses because at least 14 of
them were outside New Zealand.
A man has been arrested in relation
to an alleged machete attack on a
Hamilton man in the driveway of his
Jordan Mutton, 24, said he was
slashed at least twice with a machete
at his Enderley home last week —
shattering the bones in his forearm
and slicing through ner ves and an
artery. He fled the scene and jumped
a 2m fence to escape his attackers,
and made a tourniquet from his shirt
while help arrived.
Waikato police detective sergeant
Nick O’Brien said officers arrested a
21-year-old man in the yesterday in
relation to alleged machete attack.
“This was obviously a very serious
incident and we are grateful for the
assistance we have received from
the community which has helped
us resolve this matter in a timely
“The man arrested in relation to
this is currently being questioned
with a view of him appearing in the
Hamilton District Court later today.”
He said the arrest should help
residents feel more safe and confident
about their community.
“ I didn’t see it coming. It happened
so quick. They were just standing in
our driveway and all of a sudden this
“I put my arm up to defend myself
and got the first two through my
forearm and straight through the
bone and that cut all the tendons and
severed an artery.”
Man arrested over alleged machete attack
OLSEN, Marie. —
November 28, 2008.
Thinking of you today as
I do every day.
You are dearly missed
Love Keri and
OLSEN, Marie. —
November 28, 2008. It's
been seven years, love
and miss you.
Cassidy and Campbell.
Twenty years have gone
but you are remembered
with love every day.
Your loving family.
Ashley (GA). —
Pauline, Kathryn, Gail,
Mark, Philip and their
families would like to
thank friends and family
for all your love, kind-
ness and support on the
passing of a much loved
father, grandad, and
A TRUE GENTLEMAN
A special thank you to
Doctor Bridget Myers
and the palliative care
team, along with Dianne
Le Pine of the Bishop-
dale Church of Christ
and the ladies who
worked tirelessly in the
addresses are unknown
please accept this as a
personal message to you
ANISY FUNERAL HOME
In loving memory,
one year on.
You are never far from
Mum, Dad and
Ph 768 0250
Value the life,
make it right
Don’t live with
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
1959 - November 28,
We thought of you with
love today, but that is
We thought about you
yesterday and days be-
fore that too.
We think of you in
We often speak your
memories and your
picture in a frame.
Your memory is our
With which we'll never
God has you in His
We have you in our
Wishing you were here
Love Jess, Alec,
Addison, Mel, Steve,
Kohen and Lakyn.
A man has denied supplying 241
firearms to an unlicensed person after
an armed police raid in east Auckland
uncovered the cache.
Firearms dealer Clive Jordan, 61, also
faces a charge of unlawfully possessing
two canisters of tear gas.
He conceded the allegations sounded
“quite extreme”, but said he would
defend them “vigorously”.
When Jordan was moving house last
year he needed to find somewhere to
store the weapons and had to look no
further than his neighbour Murray Kerr,
who had earlier decided to install a large
concrete and steel, fire-proof safe in his
house at the suggestion of a friend.
“I had a bloody big safe underground
and said you’re welcome to use it on the
proviso there is no ammunition,” Mr
“It’s like Fort Knox. ”
The defendant said moving the firearms
had been done with the approval of the
police, despite the fact Mr Kerr was
The premises were inspected several
times, he said, but in December last year
armed police descended on the property
early one morning.
“(They) turned up with fully-automatic
rifles and scared the s*** out of my wife,”
Mr Kerr said.
“ It was like something out of a movie.”
Officers photographed the weapons
and returned them to the safe, and
eventually Jordan took them back, he
So he was surprised when nearly a
year later charges were laid at Manukau
“ I’ve done nothing wrong,” Jordan said.
He entered not guilty pleas to the two
charges this week and will be back in
court in February.
Both supplying firearms to an
possession of restricted weapons carry a
maximum penalty of three years in jail.
The latter charge could see Jordan fined
up to $4000.
Police said they would not comment
on a case before the court.
Masterton financial adviser Tim
Fairbrother says he feels “vindicated”
by the judgement released yesterday
dismissing a charge of assault against
The ruling, by Judge Bill Hastings, was
released to police and others on Thursday
but to news media yesterday, following
defended hearings on September 2
and November 17. Mr Fairbrother said
the 12-page judgment “is pretty tough
reading”, but described it as “a sensible
“It ’s great to be vindicated,” Mr
Mr Fairbrother was charged with
assaulting Troy Sayer at a party for their
victorious cricket team, at a bach on the
Whareama River on November 22 last
year. He claimed self defence, saying
Sayer had threatened to kill him, and had
put his hands around his throat.
“After all the rumours and the
fabrications that have been going around
in the community, they can now be put to
bed with this judgement,” Mr Fairbrother
said. He said he was “disappointed over
it; I’ve lost a friendship. It ’s something
that should have been sorted out in the
boardroom. I ’m glad we got a sensible
result, and me and my family can move
on with our lives.
“The lesson in our situation is that
planned times can go bad when there is
alcohol involved, even with friends —
just making sure that young people are
aware of that.”
Mr Fairbrother said if the events “had
been anywhere else I could have got in a
taxi and driven home”, but this was not
possible at the isolated river bach.
“It’s great to be vindicated; it should
never have happened.” — NZME
School ditches exams to reduce stress
An Auckland high school is skipping
NCEA Level 1 to reduce assessment stress
for its students, giving the teenagers an extra
year before facing exams.
Hobsonville Point Secondary School says
the first year of the NCEA qualification is
unnecessary as it does not lead to anywhere
except further schooling.
The school, which opened last year, said it
made the decision to switch to a two-year
NCEA Level 2 programme after reviewing
a national report on student wellbeing which
found schools were over-assessing children,
leading to anxiety, depression and eating
“ Why would we do that to them?” principal
Maurie Abraham said. “ We found the kids
weren’t enjoying learning, and were instead
ticking boxes. O ur approach changes the
focus to deep learning, rather than chasing
The school will still offer a wide range of
subjects, meaning, like elsewhere, students
can work towards a variety of pathways
including university, tech, apprenticeships
or jobs. Students will collect some NCEA
Level 1 credits as they go, but only where
assessments fit naturally with their “learning
modules”, rather than “assessment for
assessment ’s sake”.
The goal is ensuring credits are quality —
meaning they are gained with excellence and
are relevant to a student ’s future.
Deputy principal Claire Amos said parents
were initially quite ner vous, but the school
had held information nights and the majority
were now positive about the decision.
New Zealand Herald
28 Guinness St, Greymouth
Ph 768 7418
Need to see a
Call us for an urgent
A very experienced general
and cosmetic dentist has
joined our practice.
Joanne Richardson -
Urgent appointments available.
General, cosmetic and surgical dentistry.
WINZ and ACC approved
Links Archive November 27th 2015 December 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page