Home' Greymouth Star : December 9th 2015 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, December 9, 2015 - 5
School students will be able to get NCEA
credits by obtaining a driver licence —
and will even pick-up credits for passing a
learner’s theory test.
In making the announcement, Education
Minister Hekia Parata said too many young
people missed out on jobs because they
did not have a licence, and others found
themselves before courts because they drove
without a licence.
Students will gain two credits towards
NCEA Level 1 by passing the learner
licence theory test, four credits towards
NCEA Level 2 for a restricted licence, and
another two credits towards NCEA Level 2
for gaining a full licence.
The changes will be in place by April next
Ms Parata said schools would not be
obliged to include driver training in their
curricula, “but many will find doing so
makes learning more relevant for students”.
“As an example, a school might find that
incorporating a learning module for the
licence theory test into its Year 11 English
programme ... helps to engage the interest
of students.” Assessing and granting licences
will remain the responsibility of driver
The announcement came after Labour in
August suggested making driver licensing
part of secondary education or NCEA.
The party’s Future of Work discussion
document called for more focus on skills and
knowledge, rather than subjects and exams.
Associate Transport Minister Craig Foss,
who made today ’s announcement with
Ms Parata, said employers had reported
16-24-year-olds being held back by not
having a licence.
“Removing barriers that some young
people face in gaining their licence is
an ongoing focus for the Government.”
Michael Barnett, chief executive of the
Auckland Chamber of Commerce, said the
changes would help address a skills shortage
in industries, such as trades and transport,
where the only entry barrier was a lack of a
full driver licence.
“ We have worked closely with the Ministry
of Education and it is great to get a result as
quickly as this.” — NZME
Students to get
NCEA credits for
The South Island is in for a $150 million
boost from a surge in air travel this summer.
The number of passengers through
Christchurch Airport is set to increase 165
to 6.4 million in the 12 months to the end
Chief commercial officer of aero-nautical
Justin Watson said February would be 20%
up on the same month last year.
The Christchurch forecasts come as
Auckland Airport warns of extremely busy
days over summer in what will be a record
The extra ser vices include: Double-daily
Boeing 777 ser vices by Singapore Airlines,
which has lifted ser vices to
Christchurch from 365 to 393 a year.
Qantas adding a new 737 summer ser vice
between Christchurch and Brisbane, flying
four times a week.
New year-round 787 China Southern
Airlines ser vice direct from Guangzhou,
three times a week.
Increased transtasman ser vices from
several airlines including Virgin Australia.
More domestic flying from Air New
Zealand and Jetstar.
New Virgin Airlines 737 ser vice to the
Watson said it was estimated new
ser vices would bring in an extra 50,000
international visitors over the next 12
“At an average visitor spend of $3200, that
is more than $150 million in visitor spend
the majority of which stays in the South
Island.” Statistics showed when Christchurch
is the gateway, visitors leave around 86% of
their spending in the South Island.
“ No other gateway is that productive in terms
of spreading the benefits across the regions,”
he said. “Alongside our multi-language
signage, we have more Mandarin-speaking
staff at the airport this summer, reflecting
the fact that many more of our arriving
international visitors will arrive from Asia.”
Jump in f lights to bring
$150m to South Island
Rumours are rife in
Wellington that Sir Peter
Jackson has bought yet
another historic city landmark
— this time the former
Vatican embassy overlooking
The property’s title holder is
Michael Stephens, Sir Peter’s
lawyer, who is also a director
of the film-maker’s company
Wingnut Productions with
Jackson’s wife Fran Walsh.
According to public records,
the property ’s title was last
transferred in April this
year to Mr Stephens, from
previous owners the Apostolic
Nunciature, or the diplomatic
arm, of the Holy See.
The grand red brick building
at 112 Queens Drive is set
back from the road and is
surrounded by mature trees.
It is on 1.6ha and has a capital
valuation of $3.1 million.
A neighbour told Stuff.
co.nz that he had recently
seen a Weta van going up the
driveway, another black van and
a motorbike that he described
as “like something out of Kill
Weta is one of Sir Peter’s
many companies of which
Mr Stephens is a shareholder,
director or former director.
In August it was confirmed
that the Lord of the Rings
director had bought St
Christopher’s Church in
Seatoun, built in 1932, for
The beloved church needed
And in 2007, Jackson bought
the Our Lady Star of the Sea
Convent Chapel, built in 1924,
which is perched on the hillside
The church had been closed
in 2002 because of earthquake
By last year, the refurbished
church had so much new steel
and concrete that it was up to
100% of the building code.
In 2011 the Jacksons bought
Wellington’s Bats theatre,
and undertook earthquake
strengthening. — N Z M E
A 17-year-old girl has been
left in shock after a man tried
to enter a bathroom through a
window as she was preparing to
take a shower.
Police attended the incident in
District Road, Roseneath, about
The girl, who did not want to
be named, was home alone when
the incident occurred and told
the Otago Daily Times she was
getting changed in the bathroom
and turned to see a man trying
to unlatch the window from the
inside through a smaller window
above. She put on a robe and
went to the living area where
she saw another man on the
street. Both men fled the area
when she “made eye contact ’’,
The girl’s mother arrived soon
after and notified police.
“At that point I was really
worried,’’ the girl said. “I was
pretty shaken. The experience
hasn’t sort of quite sunk in.
“I ’m trying not to think about
what could have happened.’’
One man was wearing a black
shirt, jeans and a cap, she said.
The other was “a bigger guy’’
wearing a pale red shirt.
The girl’s mother said police
told them to lock the doors and
not to come out.
“S he’s not a happy camper,’’ the
mother said. “S he’s shaken up.’’
Lennane, of Dunedin, said
police and a dog unit attended
the incident at 3.53pm. No one
Police would conduct regular
patrols of the area.
It was too early to tell what
a possible motive might have
been, Mr Lennane said. There
was no indication it was linked
to other incidents involving
women in Dunedin in the past
People should contact police
if they saw anything suspicious.
— Otago Daily Times
Bathroom intruder a shock
An elderly man was attacked
by men brandishing a baseball
bat and knife in his Hastings
home last night The 79-year-
old, who lives alone, was
watching tv at his home in the
suburb of Camberley when
he heard a knock at the door.
Without opening the door the
victim pulled the curtains back
to find three males aged approx
18-20 years wearing bandanas
across there faces. They were
carrying a baseball bat and a
Police said in a statement that
one of the males demanded
money, the victim opened a
side window and told them all
to leave at this point this same
male has tried to climb through
Fearing he would be attacked
the victim has struck the male
on the top of his head with a
The offenders abused the
victim before one of them took
a large object from the garden
and threw it through the
kitchen window before they all
fled possibly into Kirkpatrick
A witness reported that
around that time they saw
a Blue Honda Civic parked
outside the Takapu Road
address with about five males
“The victim is shaken but
bearing up well considering the
circumstances. Police commend
the victim for doing the right
thing in that he looked out the
window rather than open the
door. Police believe if he had
opened the door then he would
have been seriously assaulted,”
a police spokesperson said.
— N Z ME -Hawke’s Bay Today
Elderly man attacked at his home
A little boy who suffered
critical injuries when the car
his family was travelling in and
another vehicle collided north-
west of Auckland last night is
The four-year-old was fighting
for his life after the crash on
State highway 16 just before
His mother, two siblings and
two other adults were also
injured and rushed to hospital.
Inspector Steve Kose told the
Herald that all the injured were
He said the children were with
their mother and her partner
and another adult friend when
the crash happened.
Their car pulled out of a
driveway near Brigham Creek
Road and was struck by a
northbound car coming up a
“ We don’t know the exact
cause of the crash, why the driver
pulled out in front of the other
car. That is part of the Serious
Crash Unit investigation,” said
The section of State highway
16 where the crash happened was
closed as the SCU investigators
carried out a scene examination.
However, after about an hour
the road was reopened.
Mr Kose said it was not clear
who was driving. Information
about the age and gender of the
other children was not available.
“ We will be speaking to both
drivers. The important thing
is the children. Everyone is
improving and the two older
kids will possibly be discharged
tonight,” he said.
It was too early to say if anyone
would face charges over the
collision. — N Z ME
Young boy injured in car crash improving
A wanted man with access to
firearms and a “lengthy” criminal
history including an arrest for a
violent gunpoint kidnapping is
believed to be connected to the
disappearance of a 57-year-old
Lance John Murphy was last
seen on Saturday, November 21,
at 6.36pm a in Warkworth.
He was travelling in his 2010
Mazda 6, registration HMZ40,
which was found abandoned five
days later by police, 1.6km away
on Goatley Road.
Police revealed they have grave
concerns for Mr Murphy’s
safety and they are looking
for 37-year-old Steven Brent
Gunbie in connection with the
Gunbie is well known to police..
“He is believed to have access
to firearms and should not be
— N ZM E-New Zealand Herald
Wanted man believed connected to disappearance
Specials available South Island only, price valid until Sunday 13 December 2015 or while stocks last. Trade not supplied. Due to current Licensing Trust
laws, liquor not available at Elles Road, Windsor & Gore. Specials may not be available at all stores. Club Deals are only available to Clubcard Members at
New World South Island stores when they scan their Clubcard at the time of purchase.
Kiwi Free Farmed
Ham on the Bone
Whole or Half
2.4 -2 .8L
excludes Nappy Pants
Fresh Chicken Drums
Plain or Glazed
Heineken 330ml 24 Pack Bottles
Blanc de Blancs
Roses 225g or
Wattie's Standard Baked
BeaNZ or Spaghetti 420g
or Peaches, Apricots,
Pears or Fruit Salad 410g,
Links Archive December 8th 2015 December 10th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page