Home' Greymouth Star : January 21st 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Saturday, January 21, 2017
Victoria’s police Chief
Commissioner Graham Ashton has
confirmed the driver of the vehicle
that “intentionally” ploughed into
pedestrians in Melbourne’s CBD is
a 26-year-old man known to police
and was on bail.
The man police believe is
responsible for the atrocity is
26-year-old Dimitrious Gargasoulas.
The driver was shot by police in his
arm and is being treated in hospital.
The incident is not terrorism
The deceased are yet to be formally
identified. However police confirmed
one of the deceased is a young child.
Police and emergency ser vices
remain on the scene and request that
people avoid the area.
The homicide squad will be
investigating with the assistance of
the major collision investigation unit.
Police are going to charge him in
relation to multiple homicides and
some other charges.
The driver was under police guard
in St Vincent ’s Hospital as homicide
squad detectives head a major
inquiry into the tragedy.
Gargasoulas had been wanted over
the stabbing of his brother, Angelo,
at their mother’s Windsor home at
It is unclear what happened in the
11 hours after the stabbing, some
of which was spent with a female
Gargasoulas allegedly disrupted a
television journalist ’s report at the
scene of the stabbing, parking in the
background in the stolen car.
Days before the alleged
rampage, an ominous post on Mr
Gargasoulas’s Facebook page
“I’ll take you all out ... you need an
army to take me. ”
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull
offered his condolences yesterday.
“O ur prayers and deepest sympathy
are with the victims and their
families.” — New Zealand Herald
The bloody rampage started with
a stabbing in the pouring rain and
ended in a hail of bullets.
Dimitrious ‘Jimmy’ Gargasoulas
began his horror day stabbing a man
believed to be his brother — at
2am outside their public housing flat
in Windsor in Melbourne’s inner
He was left in a critical condition
as Gargasoulas escaped through the
early morning pouring rain.
Journalists gathered in Windsor for
live crosses to breakfast shows to talk
about the stabbing.
Gargasoulas, who is well known to
police with a history of family violence
and drug use, showed up too, waving
at a Channel Nine cross at 8am.
He then set off on an erratic five-
hour drive across the city and back,
evading all police efforts to stop him.
He drove to Yarraville in Melbourne’s
west and picked up a woman, who
police said may or may not have been
Police tracked him to west
Melbourne, where they pulled guns
and tasers on him in a bid to pull him
The woman jumped out of the
moving car on the Bolte Bridge about
11.45am and Gargasoulas escaped,
police calling off the chase because of
his dangerous driving.
“The driving was of such a nature ...
very erratic driving, the pursuit had to
be terminated because of the actions
of the driver and concerns for the
community in the area,” police Chief
Commissioner Graham Ashton said.
The police helicopter followed him,
watching as he drove to Flinders
Street, waiting for his driving to
“settle” and “give us an opportunity
to come in. But in this case, he has
continued to drive erratically, get
into the city and you have seen what
happens after that,” Ashton said.
He did donuts outside the iconic
Flinders Street Station, screaming
at onlookers out the window of his
stolen red sedan.
But, again, police were unable to stop
him. Several police officers watched
him drive off down Swanston Street.
A pair of cars followed him, but
Ashton said he could not confirm
whether they were police.
Gargasoulas then made his fatal
left turn into the Bourke Street mall,
driving along the footpath. —
Accused Melbourne driver was on bail
The car moments before it crashed.
Man stabbed brother before erratic five-hour drive
Ten alive in
Four children and a woman were pulled
clear overnight from the wreckage of a
mountain hotel in central Italy flattened
two days earlier by an avalanche, the
national fire ser vice said.
A further five people had been located,
trapped under tonnes of snow and
debris, and rescuers said they would
work through the night to free them
while the search continued for other
possible sur vivors.
There were more than 30 people in the
luxury Hotel Rigopiano on Wednesday
afternoon when a wall of snow and
toppled trees smashed into the isolated
building. So far two bodies have been
recovered from the site, officials said.
Fire ser vice spokesman Luca Cari
said an initial group of six people were
found alive overnight, with fire teams
swiftly managing to pull two of them
a mother and her young son — to
safety from a tangled mass of smashed
Rescuers clapped and shouted “bravo”
as the pair were brought to the surface,
led to nearby stretchers and carried by
helicopter to hospital for a health check.
“They sur vived thanks to this bubble of
air that formed inside the hotel,” Marco
Bini, a rescue worker from Italy’s finance
Shortly after the rescue a further four
people were found trapped in the rubble
and, as darkness fell over the mountains,
three children were pulled to safety.
“They are all alive and well,” Cari said.
The disaster struck during a driving
snowstorm, hours after four earthquakes
with a magnitude above 5.
As much as 5m of snow covered much
of what was left of the Rigopiano hotel,
Walter Milan, a member of the alpine
rescue ser vice at the scene, said. Only
sections of the spa and swimming area
were intact, he said.
Two men outside the hotel managed to
escape the avalanche and raise the alarm,
but the first rescuers only managed to
reach the scene by ski some 11 hours
later, with the access roads blocked by
snow and fallen trees.
An investigation has been opened by
a court in Pescara amid accusations that
the emergency response was slow.
Giampiero Parete, a chef who was a
guest in the hotel, had gone to his car to
get headache pills for his wife when the
avalanche struck. His wife and eight-
year-old son were among those saved
overnight, Italian media said. —
Firefighters rescue a sur vivor from Hotel Rigopiano in Farindola, central Italy,
hit by avalanche.
The D uke of Cambridge has
confirmed he will be leaving his job
as an air ambulance helicopter pilot in
the summer and spending more time
in London where his children will be
In a statement, issued on his behalf by
Kensington Palace, William praised the
East Anglian Air Ambulance where he
works saying it was a “privilege” to fly
with the organisation.
The statement added that William and
Kate wanted, as they have in previous
years, to increase their official duties on
behalf of the Queen and their charity
work, which would mean more time in
Prince George, who is three, will begin
school in London in September while
sister Princess Charlotte, two in May,
will start nursery in the capital and later
go to school in the city.
There have been a number of
newspaper reports in recent weeks that
stated William was going to leave his
air ambulance job and, with his family,
spend more time in London away from
their Norfolk home of Anmer Hall.
leaves helicopter job
Iranian officials say
25 people are still
unaccounted for after the
collapse of a 17-storey
commercial building in
Tehran on Thursday, in
addition to 20 firefighters
who were killed in the
disaster, State television
“ Police have received
missing reports of 25
people. We urge people to
report if any of their family
members that worked in
the Plasco building is missing,” a police
Thick smoke and fire were hampering
the search for the bodies of at least 20
firefighters under the rubble more than
a day after the blaze began, television
25 still missing after collapse
40" - WAS $1599.99
NOW $11499 9
50" - WAS $2199.99
NOW $14499 9
55" - WAS $2699.99
NOW $17499 9
60" - WAS $3699.99
NOW $24999 9
*Discount is off our full retail price. Exclusions, fees, terms and conditions apply. See in-store or visit smithscity.co .nz
Cnr Boundary & Herbert Sts, GREYMOUTH
OP YYOUR WAY Delivered to your door or pick up instore
0800 SMITHS (0800 764 847)
on furniture $999 & over*
for 24 months
on everything $499 & over*
for 12 months
BUY NEW ZEALAND
WAS $2799.99 NOW
WAS $2999.99 NOW
UHD FLAT SMART
KU6000 SERIES 6
• Satellite Tuner
• Quad Core Processor
• 3x HDMI
Sumptuous and hardwearing
velour fabric recliner.
• Powerful Performance • Cast alloy BBQ frame • 10mj Burners
• Heat Control without Flare-ups
• Easy to Clean and Pack Away
MOBILE BARBEQUE RED
130W SOUNDBAR WITH
IDAHO 5 SEATER RECLINER LOUNGE SUITE Accessories not included.
8.5KG FRONT LOAD QUICKSMARTTM
SAVE UP TO
WAS $999.99 NOW
WAS $749.99 NOW
WAS $449.99 NOW
WAS $1589.99 NOW
WAS $1399.99 NOW
PRICED TO CLEAR
WAS $179.99 NOW
FINAL WEEK! MASSIVE SAVINGS
HURRY DON’T MISS OUT!
Links Archive January 20th 2017 January 23rd 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page