Home' Greymouth Star : February 14th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Tuesday, February 14, 2017
An overstayer who gave birth
to her children under assumed
identities and later abandoned
them has been jailed.
Yuruo Qin initially used a
stolen driver’s licence and then
a passport when she went to
Auckland Hospital to have the
She abandoned her first child
when the girl was 14 months old,
and her son eight years later when
he was four.
Qin had since had a third child
and was pregnant with her fourth,
the Auckland District Court was
Qin came to New Zealand from
China as an 18-year-old in 2001.
Two years later immigration
authorities lost contact with her
and she had been an overstayer
since, working as a cleaner and a
She used a driver’s licence stolen
from an acquaintance to register
with health authorities before
giving birth to her daughter at
Auckland hospital in 2006 under
the assumed name.
She later went back to work
and would leave her daughter
in the care of her landlord.
When her daughter was 14
months old, Qin left for work one
day and never came home. The
child was eventually handed over
to the care of Child Youth and
By 2012, Qin was pregnant
again. This time she used a stolen
passport to register with the
hospital under another name and
had a baby boy.
When the boy was four she
left him in the care of a family
she knew, saying she had health
problems. Apart from one visit,
she did not see him again. The
child went into the care of Child
Youth and Family.
Judge Claire Ryan read part of
their victim impact statements in
court yesterday. Qin’s daughter
does not want anything to do with
“Once is particularly bad but
twice is unacceptably bad. We’re
just lucky the police got involved
before the same thing happened
to the third,” Judge Ryan said.
According to the girl’s foster
mother, she cried for the first six
weeks and only slept in half-hour
She was very clingy and did not
want to be left alone. The girl also
did not want Qin to have a photo
of her, for fear that Qin would
come and take her back.
Qin’s son is unable to talk about
what has happened to him and
shows signs of post traumatic
stress disorder. He has refused
to talk at all for periods of three
The person who wrote the boy ’s
statement said without serious
help his behaviour could affect his
ability to learn.
“They are young, vulnerable and
innocent and you let them down,”
Judge Ryan said.
Qin’s third child is in the care
of her partner who is planning to
return with Qin to China once
she has completed her sentence.
She is now pregnant with her
fourth child, RNZ reported
At the time of abandoning her
children, Qin was on the run for
using someone else’s bank details.
In total, she took over $18,000
in withdrawals and
Judge Ryan took time off her
sentence for her early guilty pleas.
Her lawyer, Michael Kan, argued
his client was remorseful for what
she had done but Judge Ryan did
not accept that.
She said a letter written by Qin
to the court was no different from
many others that only expressed
sorrow when contemplating a jail
Qin spoke of having two
wonderful children but Judge
Ryan said she had broken their
hearts, betrayed their feelings and
breached their trust.
“ You appeared disturbingly
unconcerned at the fate of your
children after you abandoned
She said Qin spoke of her love
for her children but the judge said
it was hard to reconcile that with
There was an application from
police for reparations to be paid to
Auckland Hospital for more than
$22,000 — the costs of delivering
Qin’s three children.
Judge Ryan did not make the
order because Qin has no way of
paying it. — NZN
A Hamilton man has described the
terrifying moments of escaping a house
fire that killed three others following
a party more than two years ago.
Toni Maree Johnston, 23, Jake Hayes,
19, and Connor Swetman, 17, all died in
the inferno that gutted the Collingwood
Street villa on November 15, 2014.
Bailey Reid was sleeping in the same
room as Mr Hayes and Mr Swetman
when the fire broke out downstairs.
Mr Reid who was giving evidence
at a coronial inquest into the tragedy
yesterday, said they had been smoking
marijuana before they all went to sleep.
“At 4.30am I heard yelling outside —
a whole heap of people screaming and
shouting out names.
“I then saw the glow and told them:
‘There is a fire and Jake said it will be all
right.’ “ We went to the hallway door but
a heap of smoke came into the bedroom.
I went straight back to the other door,
wrapped a jersey around my hand and
smashed the window.
“The glass shattered and I cut my finger
and burnt three others as I climbed out.
I ran onto the road where I vomited
because of the smoke in my lungs.
“I didn’t know where Jake and Connor
were as I didn’t see them after I escaped,”
Mr Reid said.
A post-mortem found all three victims
died from smoke inhalation.
Earlier yesterday the inquest was told
they had been partying with drugs and
alcohol and the house did not have
working smoke alarms.
No one has ever been charged. — N ZN
Survivor recalls deadly Hamilton blaze
The hearings panel that provided the
foundation of Auckland ’s unitary plan did
not operate outside its jurisdiction, the
High Court has found.
Justice Christian Whata yesterday
ruled against a group of appeals that
claimed the independent hearing panel
misinterpreted its statutory duties when it
included capacity for more than 400,000
new residential homes to meet the region’s
projected population growth over the next
30 years in the new Auckland unitary plan.
“In accordance with relevant statutory
obligations, they correctly adopted a
multi-layered approach to assessing
scope,” Justice Whata said.
Prime Minister Bill English says the
case highlights the importance of the plan
to Auckland’s future.
“I think it ’s still yet to be understood what
a significant change in the opportunity for
housing supply the plan represents,” he
said at his post-cabinet press conference.
Mr English said that under the old
plan, the Government ’s stock of 27,000
State houses could have been increased
to 30,000, while under the unitary plan it
could be increased to 69,000.
The plan attracted 106 appeals after it
was passed and notified by the council
last August, of which 39 were filed to the
The appeals potentially affected 29,000
properties that were rezoned from Single
House to Mixed Housing Suburban in
the plan, including in Grey Lynn, Parnell,
Mt Albert and Blockhouse Bay.
Justice Whata resolved to hold a test
case or cases to help resolve the scope
and jurisdiction of the hearings panel and
to provide a framework for sorting out
He ruled on 10 test cases, of which
he found two where the independent
hearings panel didn’t apply the legal
Justice Whata said both of those cases
relating to two specific addresses
in Parnell and Takanini — should be
referred to the Environment Court.
Auckland unitary plan appeal rejected
The Maritime New Zealand
investigation into the February 9 sinking
of the Oamaru fishing vessel Jane Marie is
likely to last several weeks.
A Maritime NZ spokesman said the
investigation would involve establishing
facts, analysis, and then a recommendation
about what, if any, further action to take.
Jane Marie ran into trouble on Thursday
night while entering Oamaru Harbour
with two crew on board. Both ended up in
the water and were rescued.
The MNZ spokesman said the maritime
officer leading the investigation was
working with the ship’s owners and crew,
insurers, Otago Regional Council and
others as required.— Otago Daily Times
Sinking investigation begins
The Environment Court is being
asked to step in over the Manawatu-
management of fresh water, which
Resource Management Act and its own
Wellington Fish and Game Council
and the Environmental Defence Society
are asking the court to rule the council
must consider the RMA, its regional
“Horizon One Plan”, and the National
Policy Statement for Freshwater
Management when assessing resource
consents, along with the impact on the
environment of effluent discharge.
The council should also have to
provide reasons for its consents granted
under the One Plan, they say.
Both agencies fought the water
provisions in the plan in the
Environment Court and High Court
before it was implemented in 2014.
Sarah Ongley, lawyer for Fish and
Game, who presented the two agencies’
submission, said evidence provided by
the council since proceedings were filed
“ has in some respects ser ved to heighten
the concerns of Fish and Game and
“The consenting policy adopted
for existing intensive land use and
conversions is inconsistent with the
One Plan and does not allow for proper
consideration of the matters over which
discretion is reserved,” she said.
The council’s approach does not assess
the effect of contaminants that could
enter the water for individual consent
applications, and does not impose a
limit on nitrogen leaching for granting
consents, and that approach is not
allowed under the RMA nor the One
Plan, she said.
“For resource consenting as well as
consideration of plan changes, it is no
longer acceptable to make decisions
on an undisciplined basis, ‘balancing ’
competing considerations as desired.”
In an affidavit, the council’s regulatory
manager, Greg Bevin, said the council
“cannot and does not have a duty —
or the discretion — to impose specific
nitrogen reductions on individual
farming operations to provide for
Schedule B values”, which Ongley
said represented a fundamental point
of difference between the parties and
underscored the need to bring the court
The lawyer said if the court grants
the declarations sought, and this
makes it difficult for an existing farm
or conversion to get resource consent
outside existing exceptions in the
regional plan, that would be consistent
with the plan. — NZN
Manawatu mismanaging consents, lobby says
Prime Minister Bill English
says the Government has put
$1 billion on the table for housing
development infrastructure, and
now it is time for councils to
deliver the projects.
“They ’ve been saying they were
short of funding and now they ’ve
got to produce the projects,” he
said at his post-cabinet press
“ We’ve provided the resource — it’s
quite a test for councils as to whether they
really do have projects that are being held
up by lack of infrastructure.”
The Government announced
the $1b infrastructure fund
in July last year in response to
complaints from councils that
they did not have the money to
put in roads, drains and water
supplies for housing projects.
Councils with high population
growth rates can apply to the
fund, and the government
clearly is not happy about how
long they are taking.
Building and Housing Minister Nick
Smith last week said he wanted councils
to put in their final proposals by March
Time for councils to deliver, says PM
Links Archive February 13th 2017 February 15th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page