Home' Greymouth Star : February 22nd 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 3
A man suffered a cut hand in a
machete attack in Otago yesterday.
Police were called to the Taieri
Mouth fishing village just after
midday. A 33-year-old man had been
charged with wounding with intent
to cause grievous bodily harm, and
was due to appear in the Dunedin
District Court today, police said. The
injured man was in a stable condition
in Dunedin Hospital last night.
— Otago Daily Times
The person who died in a crash on
State highway 1 just out of Blenheim
on Sunday was local teenager Lara
Jayne Glover, police have confirmed.
The 16-year-old was killed when a
minivanrolled near Spring Creek
about 4.30pm. Five others were
injured, one critically. Four people
were taken to Wairau Hospital in
Blenheim, with the most seriously
injured person being flown to
Wellington Hospital. — N ZM E
Boy hit by trailer
A six-year-old boy was flown to
hospital after being struck by a
trailer being towed by a sport utility
vehicle in Waikato. Emergency
ser vices were called to First Avenue
North, at Waihou, near Te Aroha, at
3.24pm yesterday. Police say the boy,
a pedestrian, is in a serious but stable
condition. — NZ N
Cannabis, cash seized
Police say the cannabis supply in
west Auckland has been disrupted
after the discovery of a large-scale
commercial operation. More than
$100,000 in cash and 160 mature
cannabis plants were seized after
warrants were executed at four
addresses. Police say the seizure
prevented sales of about $3 million.
Two men were arrested. — NZ N
Mail truck hits trees
A courier truck driver escaped
serious injury after crashing into
trees in Tauranga. Police say they
received a call about the mail truck
leaving the road on State highway 2
at Bethlehem last night. The driver
was initially trapped by the foot but
not seriously injured, police said.
National picks Yule
Hastings Mayor Lawrence Yule
has been selected to stand for the
National Party. He will be up against
Labour’s Tukituki candidate Anna
Lorck in September. He said in
January that, if successful, he would
remain full-time as mayor until June
30. A by-election will be held as the
mayoralty comes up for grabs.
— N Z ME-Hawke’s Bay Today
Numbers in Keno draw No 13776:
56, 57, 61, 62, 68, 72, 74, 77. Draw No
13777: 10, 16, 19, 23, 31, 33, 34, 36, 37,
41, 43, 49, 56, 58, 59, 61, 67, 68, 72, 78.
Draw No 13778: 3, 6, 9, 11, 17, 25, 28,
31, 32, 39, 44, 46, 54, 59, 63, 66, 67, 69,
73, 80. Draw No 13779: 1, 3, 4, 6, 13,
16, 18, 29, 32, 35, 43, 51, 52, 56, 58, 64,
66, 74, 76, 79.
Dairy product prices fell at the Global
Dairy Trade auction, stemming two
straight gains, amid increased supply.
The GDT price index fell 3.2% to
$US3474 ($4848), down from $3537
($4936) at the previous auction two
weeks ago. Some 20,479 tonnes of
product was sold, down from 21,273 at
the previous auction.
Whole milk powder slid 3.7% to $3189
($4451) a tonne.
Last week Auckland-based Fonterra,
the world’s biggest dairy exporter, said
it would more product available for sale
on GDT after it upgraded its milk intake
expectations for the current dairy season.
“ Many buyers will be aware that milk
intakes in New Zealand are starting to
improve following very poor production
during the spring,” Agri HQ dairy
analyst Susan Kilsby said in a note.
“The dairy markets however are very
closely balanced so it does not take much
to tip the balance one way or other with
small changes in supply volumes,” Miss
The outlook, however, remains positive,
At the latest GDT auction, butter milk
powder sank 12.9% to $2090 a tonne,
while rennet casein dropped 5.8% to
$6135 a tonne.
Cheddar retreated 5.3% to $3590 a
tonne, while skim milk powder declined
3.8% to $2574 ($3592) a tonne.
Anhydrous milk fat declined 1.3% to
$5693 a tonne.
Bucking the trend, lactose climbed
6.8% to $966 a tonne, while butter
inched 0.2% higher to $4598 a tonne.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
The Canterbury Earthquake
Memoriaal wall was unveiled today on
the sixth anniversary of the February
The national earthquake memorial
is a multi-million dollar wall that has
the names of the 185 people who lost
their lives etched into it. Those who
lost family members viewed it last
The names have been sandblasted
on to 21 of the wall’s 517 panels of
Otakaro Ltd, Christchurch City
Council,Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu and
the Ministry of Culture and Heritage
worked closely with families, those
who were severely injured and first
responders through the development
of the design for the memorial.
Mayor Lianne Dalziel said the wall
acknowledges death and life.
She said it was there for the dead,
the seriously injured and those
who lost homes and jobs, but also
acknowledges all those who have
contributed to the Christchurch
Christchurch Central MP Nicky
Wagner was proud of the way the
wall — on the north side of the
Avon River — encompasses what the
There was plenty of emotion on the
eve of today ’s anniversary, when Bruce
Springsteen performed a three-hour
show in Christchurch last night.
PM Bill English also tweeted
encouragement to remember the
earthquake at 12.51pm today, the
time the quake struck six years ago,
The names of the 185 people
who died were read out in a ser vice
marking the anniversary.
Their names were read out in an order
reflecting their arrangement on the
Memorial Wall, the central element of
the Canterbury Earthquake National
Memorial alongside the Avon River.
The 112m long wall, made up of
517 marble panels, was unveiled by
emergency ser vices people who were
in Christchurch at the time and
dedicated as part of the ser vice.
At 12.51pm, the time when the
6.3-magnitude quake struck on
February 22, 2011, there was a
Greater Christchurch Regeneration
Minister Gerry Brownlee said the
memorial honoured those who lost
their lives, acknowledged the injured
and paid tribute to the rescuers.
“The memorial will be a place
for people to remember a day that
changed Canterbury forever,” he said.
Ms Dalziel said the day was be
an opportunity for people to come
together and quietly reflect.
“The impact of the quakes went
right through the country and around
the world for those who lost loved
ones in our city on this day six years
ago,” she said.
“It is a time to reflect on our
shared sense of loss and also to give
thanks for the incredible work that
emergency ser vices did in our city
after the quakes.”
Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu chief
executive Arihia Bennett says the
unveiling of the memorial will be
a positive step for ward after an
extended period of upheaval.
“Oi Manawa, The Canterbury
Earthquake National Memorial, will
be a place where all people can spend
time reflecting and honouring those
who lost their lives, or were injured in
the earthquakes,” she said.
“ It will be somewhere people can
contemplate and learn new ways
to cope with the trauma they have
experienced.” — NZME-NZN
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest co nz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
source: interest.co .nz
mark tet move t
As at 4pm February 21, 2017
a2 Milk Company
230 –14 1882
ANZ Banking Gr
3285 +7 30.24
Auckland Intl Airpt
677 +2 0.85
491 +1 24.37
1815 +4 10.03
895 +16 0.23
980 –41 535.6
Fonterra Share Fund
635 –3 10.10
704 +2 8.82
Goodman Prop Tr
126 +0.5 41.16
289 +1 3.48
Kiwi Property Gr
2115 +2 2.86
304 –1 24 .36
267 +0.5 146.5
545 +1 0.40
Metro Perf Glass
141 –4 200.0
Port of Tauranga
448 +1 12.25
123 +0.5 59 .07
Prop For Industry
891 +8 41.72
Sky Network TV
445 –2 130.3
348 +1 750.4
Stride Prop & Inv
Summerset Gr Hldgs
491 +3 9.75
Tegel Gr Holdings
128 –1 132.9
Trade Me Gr
506 –5 254.2
446 –1 8.64
Vista Gr Intl
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
3665 +7 59.55
708 +1 11.80
Trading to 10:30am,
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
DECLINERS: 17 TRADED: 84
Aluminium High Grade
0.6090 0 .5651
Ear thquake memorial wall unveiled six years on
The Canterbury National Earthquake Memorial, which was unveiled today.
PICTURES: Otago Daily Times
Castle owner Dot Smith examines one of the castellations to be put atop her creation today.
Today, one of the final touches
to Riverstone Castle, being built
just north of Oamaru, will be
lifted by crane into place at the
top of Dot Smith’s family home.
The castellations will be set on
top of several turrets in the castle
complex. O wner Dot Smith was
excited at the latest stage of her
big project. “ They ’ll add such a lot
“They’ll finish the turrets
and give them a lot of drama,
especially when you see the sun
set and see them standing out
there . . . looking majestic.”
The building was expected to
be finished within the next three
months, but the grounds of the
1150 square metre two-storey,
six-tower castle would take
longer to bring to completion,
The castle, which is Mrs Smith’s
home, has taken about four years
to construct after 30 years of
planning. Seddons Plasterers, of
Mosgiel, made the castellations
on the turrets. “ We put the wee
crown on top.”
John Seddon said he was happy
to take part in the North Otago
“Dot came down and we had a
chat. She convinced me we had a
job to do.”
The castellations are made
out of glass-reinforced concrete
(GRC). “ My dad said, ‘If you can
draw it, we can make it’.”
GRC was chosen because it
could be used to create detailed
work and could withstand the
weather, Mr Seddon said. It was
the first time he had worked on a
castle but he said he would do it
again. — Otago Daily Times
Castle gets its crowning glory
Junior doctors upbeat
Junior doctors’ long-
running battle over work
hours appears to be coming
to an end.
the doctors have been
rosters since January 1 last
But today the New
Zealand Resident Doctors’
secretary, Dr Deborah
Powell, confirmed the district health
boards’ bargaining team will recommend
settlement of the agreement to board
chief executives on Thursday, before
the association formally proceeds to
ratification by its members.
She was cautiously optimistic the long
battle was coming to an end.
“ I’m apprehensive. We’ve thought
we’ve had a deal before, although in
fairness that hadn’t been recommended
by the bargaining team.”
She was not aware of any previous
occasions where the chief executives
had turned down an agreement that
had been recommended by the boards’
Junior doctors would be relieved, Dr
“The residents want this settled.
“They’ve been fighting for rosters to
be changed so they don’t have to work
seven night shifts in a row or 12 days in
Almost 3000 junior doctors went on
strike for three days in
January, following another
walk-out late last year.
The proposed settlement
included that doctors
would not be required
to work more than 10
consecutive days and would
be rostered a corresponding
day off during the week for
each weekend day worked,
Dr Powell said.
This means doctors on
the identified rosters will
have four rostered days off
in a fortnight.
Doctors will be rostered no more than
four consecutive night shifts of up to 10
hours, with stipulated recovery time post
When a resident doctor has rostered
days off during the week because they
have worked the weekend there will be
a corresponding drop in pay of between
$192 and $342 a day, depending on
salary level and seniority of the doctor.
agreement which expired in February
last year will remain in force until
February next year.
Doctors will be allowed to work
back-to-back weekends, but some
rostered days off will adjoin weekends
where the doctor is not working, Dr
There will also be a 1.5% pay rise
effective immediately and an increase
in the rates paid when a resident doctor
carries out work over and above that
described in their job description.
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Five years for $1m
A former senior Auckland Transport
manager who took more than $1 million
in payments from a contractor has been
Murray Noone, 53, was last year found
guilty of taking what prosecutors say was
about $1.1m in bribes between 2006 and
2013 . Today he was handed a sentence
of five years’ prison.
His co-accused, Stephen Borlase,
52, who owned and ran engineering
consultancy company Projenz, was
sentenced to five years and six months’
jail for bribing Noone and another
Sentencing the pair in the High Court
at Auckland, Justice Sally Fitzgerald said
such offending seriously undermined
confidence in the public ser vice and
risked damaging the international
reputation of the country, where public
corruption was “virtually non-existent ”.
In a victim impact statement, Auckland
Transport said the case had left some
staff demoralised and embarrassed from
being tarred with the same brush, Justice
She said while there was no evidence
the payments had actually influenced the
outcome of two council tenders in the
period, the logical conclusion was they
were meant to influence Noone.
Prosecutor Brian Dickey told the court
the offending had been large-scale,
prolonged — nearly monthly over seven
and a half years — and the two men had
gone to lengths to cover it up.
Corruption “flourished” and had been
“normalised” by the scale and extent of
the exchanges between Projenz and staff,
But Noone’s lawyer Simon Lance
said his client had gone as far as not
attending meetings involving Projenz
to stay neutral on council contract
“The only gain achieved was the
maintenance of a relationship,” Borlase’s
lawyer, Ron Mansfield, said.
The court heard Noone — who
managed the council’s contracts for
its northern road maintenance — was
given about 300 payments from Projenz
and another $56,000 in gifts, including
accommodation and overseas trips that
had nothing to do with work — and
failed to disclose his relationship with
In the period of the offending Projenz’s
invoices to the council rose from $4m to
$16m, becoming the bulk of its business,
During the trial, Borlase argued
Noone was being paid as a consultant
for Projenz’s South Island division, but
Justice Fitzgerald said no documented
evidence had been provided of that.
After sentencing, Auckland Transport
Edmonds noted the judge had said the
pair’s actions did not reflect on other
“At the heart of this issue is a serious
breach of trust by two individuals whose
actions are in no way an indication of
any sort of systematic failure,” he said in
Another senior Auckland Transport
manager, Barrie George — who
reported directly to Noone — was last
year sentenced to 10 months’ home
detention for taking about $100,000 in
gifts. — NZN
Drone keeps watch on fire
A drone is being flown above the
Port Hills in Christchurch to help
the Fire Ser vice gather thermal and
infrared hot spot information.
At the same time, civil defence
has issued a reminder that there is
a strict no-fly zone over the area for
members of the public.
That means they cannot operate
drones or remotely piloted aircraft
systems in the zone until midday
The state of emergency declared
last week was extended yesterday
as fires in the area kept firefighters
busy, despite being contained.
About 20 crews were creating
control lines with heavy machinery
and with support from helicopters.
They were also removing dangerous
Civil defence warned that smoke
might cover central Christchurch
and airport over the next few days
and that people should phone their
GP if they suffered respiratory
Yesterday morning, residents of
about 100 homes from Kennedys
Bush and Hoon Hay Valley
Roads were allowed back to their
conditions could still cause hot
spots to flare up and the fire to
spread, so residents should be
prepared to evacuate immediately.
Chalk will again be a mode of protest
for residents upset about their insurance
claims as Christchurch marks the sixth
anniversary of the 2011 earthquake.
The community group Empowered
Christchurch held a silent rally in
Cathedral Square for “unheard and
unsettled EQC and insurance claimants”.
The action started at 2pm so as not to
clash with the quake memorial dedication.
A year ago, the group also held a protest,
which ended with buckets of chalk being
handed out for people to express their
frustrations by writing a word.
Empowered Christchurch says in
the inter vening period it has made
submissions on relevant legislation and
highlighted injustices in the recovery
process. It has also “engaged in endless
and, unfortunately, largely fruitless
correspondence with the different local
and national authorities and politicians
from the various parties”.
But it says there has been no substantial
progress over the 12 months for
claimants, a growing number of whom
are heading to the High Court.
The group produced a summary of the
status quo 72 months on, including. —
83% of insurance claims settled
(ICNZ statistic as at end of 2016).
2000 properties with no land
remediation solutions (EQC statistic).
$861 million in declared claims in
earthquake cases before the High Court,
with no amount declared for about 25%
Land claims against the EQC in
Over 10,000 botched EQC repairs,
with many claimants heading to court.
Large number of as-is properties
posing a risk in future seismic events.
Ministry manager gets three years for fraud
A former senior manager at
the Ministry of Transport who
department of more than $700,000
has been sentenced to more than
three years in jail.
Joanne Harrison, 50, last year
admitted to using fabricated
invoices to fraudulently take
$726,000 from ministry accounts
she controlled while working as a
Harrison had worked for the
ministry from April 2011 until
April 2016, when management
became suspicious and launched an
internal investigation before calling
in the Serious Fraud Office.
Passing down a sentence of three
years’ and seven months’ jail in the
Manukau District Court yesterday,
Judge Sanjay Patel said she had
used taxpayer money to pay bills to
three fictitious companies in order
to disguise her theft.
He called the offending a
“considerable” breach of trust and
said the offending went on for more
than three years.
The money had largely been spent
on credit cards and a home loan, he
Judge Patel said Harrison had
also been convicted for forging
documents in 2007.
But he said she was also making
efforts at rehabilitation, was
receiving counselling in prison and
had tried to access her Kiwisaver to
pay back some of the money.
Lawyers for the Crown did not
seek a reparation order, saying it
was not clear how much money
could be recovered.
Prosecutor Sarah Allen said
Harrison had hampered efforts to
recover assets by turning over part
of one property she owned to her
husband, Patrick Sharp.
The investigation was launched
last year while Harrison was
in Canada, and she returned
voluntarily in August.
Her lawyer, Nathan Bourke, told
the court Harrison was aware of a
workplace investigation, but not
a criminal one, when she left the
country. She had returned of her
own accord. — NZ N
A woman has appeared in court
charged with murdering her sister
almost a decade after her sister’s
body was found.
The woman appeared in the High
Court at Auckland for the first time
She was charged with murder
in 2008, when she was a teenager,
after her sister’s body was found
badly burned in the boot of a car in
The reason why the case has
taken so long to come to court is
suppressed, as is her identity.
The woman has denied the
charge of murder. A seven-week
trial was set for September and the
suppression orders will continue
until that date. — NZ ME
Woman in court over sister’s murder 10 years on
Links Archive February 21st 2017 February 23rd 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page