Home' Greymouth Star : February 23rd 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 3
Woman’s body found
The body of a Taupo woman who
went missing during a fishing trip
has been found, police say. Barbara
Thompson, 75, did not return from
a regular fishing trip at the mouth
of Waitahanui River, 5km from her
home, on Tuesday morning. Dive
teams searching Lake Taupo found
her body yesterday afternoon, police
said. — NZN
Pilot walks from crash
A pilot was lucky to walk away
from a plane crash in South
Auckland unharmed yesterday.
The topdressing plane crashed in
a paddock near Kawakawa Bay,
close to Clevedon, just after 2pm.
It stopped short of a fence but its
wing was damaged, police said. It
appeared the plane crashed during
take-off because of a change in wind
conditions, police said. — NZ ME
Nearly 300 small earthquakes have
been recorded in the Taupo and
Rotorua areas since Monday last
week, according to Geonet. Geonet
seismometers between Taupo and
Tongariro National Park recorded the
swarm of earthquakes, centred about
10km north-west of Tokaanu, near
Turangi. Since the quakes started
on February 13 at 6pm, there have
been 290 tremors. The largest was a
magnitude 3.8 at 9.35pm on Tuesday.
— NZ M E -Rotorua Daily Post
A motorcyclist who collided with
a school bus south of Whangarei
suffered spinal injuries. The crash
happened about 3pm yesterday at
the intersection of Cove Road and
McLean Road in Waipu. Constable
Trevor Millard of Maungaturoto
said early investigations revealed the
male motorcyclist was overtaking
a car when he collided with the
bus. He was flown to Middlemore
Hospital in Auckland in a moderate
— NZ ME -Northern Advocate
The driver killed in a crash on State
highway 1 near Waimate on Friday
was Robert James Meldrum, 20, of
Christchurch. — Otago Daily Times
$1m Lotto win
A ticket sold in Christchurch won
its holder $1 million in division one
of Lotto draw No 1623 last night.
Successful numbers were 6, 14, 19,
30, 34, 36; bonus 12. Strike numbers
were 34, 6, 30, 14. There were two
Strike Four winners, from Gore and
Hawera, each taking home $350,000.
Powerball number 3. There was no
division one winner.
Numbers in Keno draw No 13780: 8,
10, 17, 25, 27, 28, 35, 37, 38, 43, 45, 46,
49, 53, 54, 55, 60, 65, 70, 73. Draw No
13781: 2, 10, 17, 19, 23, 29, 30, 32, 33,
43, 48, 54, 57, 58, 65, 69, 70, 71, 72, 80.
Draw No 13782: 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14,
18, 22, 29, 31, 38, 40, 41, 46, 51, 60, 61,
63, 70. Draw No 13783: 4, 10, 15, 20,
21, 25, 30, 37, 39, 40, 45, 46, 47, 51, 55,
56, 65, 67, 76, 78.
Crowds flock to memorial wall
Stolen moments in a shower and an
“attitude” have cost an Austrian woman
The 30-year-old appeared in front
of Judge Joanna Maze in the Oamaru
District Court yesterday to face a charge
of being unlawfully in a building, namely
shower facilities at the Omarama Top 10
Camping ground co-owner Tony
Chapman said that at least once a week
he had to deal with people trying to use
his facilities for free.
He said he understood making Alexia
Virginie Cujus go to court could be seen
as a waste of time, but it was her attitude
about the situation he wanted addressed.
To use the showers at the camp people
had to stay the night, he said, and Cujus
was not a guest.
He said the cost of the shower Cujus
had was hard to calculate, but when the
cost of amenities like electricity were
worked out coupled with other people
also trying to obtain ser vices for free it
all added up.
The police summary of facts stated
Cujus walked into the camping ground
on January 31, 2017.
She walked into the shower block,
which had been closed for cleaning,
ignoring the closed signs and going
under rope over the entranceway.
Cujus had a shower.
A staff member, in a neighbouring
cubicle, challenged Cujus who ignored
him and continued to have a shower.
She then left.
When police caught up with her Cujus
said she had intended to pay for the
shower on leaving the camping ground.
conviction and ordered to pay $20
reparation. — Otago Daily Times
A marble memorial wall etched with
the names of the 185 people killed in the
Christchurch earthquake was yesterday
unveiled in front of their families and
loved ones on the sixth anniversary of
The 112m-long wall made of 517
marble panels is the focal point of
the memorial unveiled by emergency
ser vices responders who were in
Christchurch when the magnitude-6.3
quake struck on February 22, 2011.
It is called the Oi Manawa Canterbury
Earthquake National Memorial. Oi
Manawa means tremor of the heart.
Personal notes were stuck to it,
remembering those lost in the quake.
A note written to Matthew Beaumont,
known as Matty, was stuck next to his
name on the marble. “Dear Matty. We
think of you every day and miss you.
Lots of love, the Thorndycrofts.”
Mr Beaumont worked for Canterbury
Television and was killed when the
Madras Street building collapsed. He
Notes have also been written and
attached to a tree on the bank of the
Avon River opposite the memorial.
They are in different languages, from
family members who travelled to
Christchurch from all over the world
to remember their children, brothers,
sisters, parents or grandparents who died
One says: “Dear Mummy. It is so sad
that you died. I miss you so much. Love
Another reads: “Dear Mummy. I will
love you forever. I wished you were still
here. Love Aimee xoxoxo. ”
Prime Minister Bill English said the
absence of those who died in the quake
was keenly felt in the city.
Their names were read out and a
minute’s silence held yesterday at
12.51pm, exactly the time the quake
struck, to reflect on the memories of the
dead, the injured and the first responders
who risked their lives to help.
“ We cannot know what fear or courage
or hope filled the past moments of your
loved ones,” Mr English said.
“ Today we stand with you and those
who watched them go. Families, friends,
workmates and complete strangers who
reached for them and tried their utmost
to protect them and comfort them.”
responsible for the greater Christchurch
regeneration, said the memorial would
be a place to remember the day that
changed Canterbury forever.
Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel
said yesterday was an opportunity for
people to come together and quietly
“The impacts of the quakes went right
through the country and around the
world for those who lost loved ones in
our city on this day six years ago,” she
“It is a time to reflect on our shared
sense of loss and also to give thanks
for the incredible work that emergency
ser vices did in our city after the quakes.”
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest co nz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
source: interest.co .nz
mark tet move t
As at 4pm February 22, 2017
a2 Milk Company
235 +2 3755
223 +8 1535
ANZ Banking Gr
Auckland Intl Airpt
700 –3 123.2
491 –1 19.25
883 +8 21.65
972 +4 3565
Fonterra Share Fund
Goodman Prop Tr
125.5 +0.5 41.65
157 –1 114.4
136 –1 0.93
Kiwi Property Gr
308 –1 141.6
267.5 +0.5 28.46
547 –2 0.48
Metro Perf Glass
278 –1 10.00
Port of Tauranga
447 +5 71.20
122 +0.5 20.84
Prop For Industry
162 +1 5.00
886 –1 26.94
363 –1 2.71
Sky Network TV
370 –65 1453
356 +7 413.8
Stride Prop & Inv
Summerset Gr Hldgs
505 +14 97.37
Tegel Gr Holdings
389 +4 6.00
Trade Me Gr
515 +8 227.6
326 +2 2.16
Vista Gr Intl
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
207.5 +1.5 159.1
1872 –3 0 .26
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, February 23, 2017
DECLINERS: 21 TRADED: 85
Aluminium High Grade
0.6085 0 .5646
PICTURE: Setford Photos
Visitors with the pounamu touch stone at the Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial on the banks of
the Avon River yesterday after the dedication and opening on the anniversar y of the Canterbur y earthquake
six years ago. The pounamu boulder was donated by West Coast iwi Te Runanga o Makaawhio.
Cruise ship passengers injured in a
horror bus crash on Akaroa peninsula
had spent the day experiencing New
Zealand farm life and tasting local
Two American passengers from
the Celebrity Solstice remain in
Christchurch Hospital after the bus
they were in collided with a car and
smashed down a steep bank.
Today police are still at the site,
on the Christchurch Akaroa Road,
although the highway was re-opened
to traffic around midnight.
The Royal Caribbean cruise line
said the most seriously injured of the
31 passengers were from the United
Spokesman O wen Torres said six
guests from the US were among the
injured along with the drivers of both
The remaining passengers had
returned to the ship and were
continuing their trip around New
Zealand. The ship has now arrived at
Torres said those on the bus were
participating in the “farm wine and
cheese — sheep farm and dog show ’’
Four tourists had been discharged
from hospital overnight and the
company ’s care team was helping
with their travels.
“All other guests have returned to
the ship. Our thoughts are with all
those involved and we are praying for
their speedy recovery,’’ Torres said.
The tourist bus and car collided
just after 5pm and the bus ended up
down a bank near the intersection of
Summit Road and the Christchurch
Two people suffered critical injuries,
five were seriously injured and one
person had moderate injuries. Those
with the worst injuries were flown to
hospital by rescue helicopter.
Another 26 people, who either had
minor or no injuries, were taken to
Akaroa Fire Station on another bus
for paramedics to assess them before
rejoining the cruise liner in Akaroa
Harbour. The ship has now arrived in
Inspector Paul Reeves said the crash
investigation was expected to be
completed by 11am today.
The road would then be closed for
several hours while the bus wreck was
No diversions would be in place and
motorists were asked to avoid the
The New Zealand woman driving
the car remained in a critical
Reeves said the bus driver was in
a serious but stable condition and
two bus passengers were in a stable
Christchurch Akaroa Road (State
highway 75) reopened at about
midnight following yesterdays bus
Camera operator Matthew Simons
said the bus was about 50m down the
bank and a blue Toyota was on the
Debris from the smash was strewn
on the road and the front of the car
was mangled. Pieces of the car were
lined up on the side of the road,
resting on a bank.
Tragedy has struck Celebrity
Solstice on New Zealand roads three
times in the past few months.
A Canadian passenger from the
ship was severely injured when he
was hit by a camper van while cycling
with his partner on Otago Peninsula
nearly two weeks ago.
And an elderly American woman
was killed in November while riding
a bike in Tauranga the day the ship
arrived in the city.
The same afternoon a bus carrying
ship passengers collided with a car
on State highway 29. The car’s driver
died, but nobody on the bus was
— NZ ME-New Zealand Herald
Day of enjoyment ends in crash horror
PICTURE: Northern Advocate
The scene of the overnight shooting at a home on Clark Road in Kamo where five people were shot.
Five people have been seriously
injured after a group shot at each other
and fighting broke out in Whangarei
All five people were taken to
Whangarei Hospital after being shot.
An employee at a Mobil petrol
station that backs on to Clark Road in
the suburb of Kamo said his colleagues
saw people shooting at each other from
cars last evening.
He said the group were on an empty
section behind the Kamo Rd shops
where the petrol station is.
A Clark Road resident, who did not
wish to be named, said he believed the
shooting started near the Kamo Vets
on the corner of Carlton Cres and
He said the Kamo Road end of Clark
Road was blocked off by police this
Police had cordoned off a house at
53 Clark Road and the driveway of the
The rental property was believed
to have been occupied by a gang
One woman said she heard people
shouting and arguing last night,
people fighting and a man crying,
so she called the police. She said the
occupants had not been at the address
Four of the injured people were
found on the property and the
fifth on a neighbouring property.
Other neighbours said they heard a
commotion from the property last
night, but did not think too much of
it as there was often plenty of noise
coming from the house.
Three of the injured people were
operated on overnight and a fourth
person is awaiting surgery.
The fifth person has since been
flown to Auckland Hospital and is
Police were called about 10.30pm.
Detective senior sergeant Dene
Begbie said police were speaking to
— NZ ME-Northern Advocate
Five shot in Whangarei
Sky-Vodafone merger blocked
The Commerce Commission does
not like the idea of the proposed
monopolising premium sports,
citing it as a key reason for rejecting
“ Had the merger not included all
premium sports content we would
likely have cleared this merger,”
commission chair Mark Berry told
a media briefing in Wellington this
The Sky Sports channel was
unique in the New Zealand market
because of the extent of Sky’s hold
on “must-have” sports followed by
New Zealanders — principally
rugby and netball.
Dr Berry said unresolved issues
outlined to the applicants last
October had remained unresolved
and that its concerns particularly
related to the impact of the merger
on challenger competitors in the
telecommunications market, Two
Degrees and Vocus.
“The commission has not been
able to exclude the real chance
substantially lessen competition,”
Dr Berry said.
Sky may have initially been able
to offer more attractive television/
“ However, we have to take into
account the impact of the merger
over time, and uncertainty as to how
this dynamic market will evolve
is relevant to our assessment,” Dr
“These are difficult markets to
assess. If we are in doubt, then we
are not satisfied. ”
The main concern was a single
dominating ownership of premium
sports content. About half of all
New Zealand households have
Sky TV and a large number are
Sky Sports customers, where
sport is a “must have” element of
the subscription, the commission
Acknowledging the international
trend for packaging of broadband,
mobile and sports content was
growing, the commission said it
couldn’t rule out the real chance
that Vodafone-Sky would be able
to leverage their sports content
to attract a large number of non-
Detailed reasoning for the
decision has yet to be published.
A rookie Auckland police officer
should never have fired his taser at a
fleeing suspect, the police watchdog
In a report released today, the
Independent Police Conduct
Authority says the probationary
constable shot a man running from
officers in the back and leg during a
chase in Mt Eden in October 2015.
“ Police policy is clear that a taser
can only be used on a person who
is assaultive”, authority chair Sir
David Carruthers said.
“As the man was running away
at the time he was tasered, his
behaviour had not met that
threshold. The officer’s use of the
taser on the man clearly breached
The man had earlier led police on
a pursuit in a stolen Porsche, before
fleeing on foot when the car was
stopped by spikes.
The authority said the officer
believed the man was trying to get
into a house and fired twice to stop
him. It accepted the constable was
inexperienced and worried about
The probes hit the man in the leg
and back. However the man pulled
them out with no obvious ill effects
and continued running.
The man was arrested shortly after
following a struggle and charged
with stealing a car, assaulting police,
not stopping for police and carrying
tools for burglary.
There was no evidence to support
the man’s claim the officer had
pushed him down a flight of stairs,
tried to break his arm and told
ambulance staff to “knock him out ”.
“The force used by the officer
to handcuff and control the man
was reasonable and justified in the
circumstances”, Sir David said.
In a statement, police said while
the accepted the tasering was a
breach of policy, officers often had
to make split-second decisions.
“ We have acknowledged that
while the officer’s actions were not
in line with policy, he and the other
officers were acting in good faith,”
Auckland city district commander
Superintendent Karyn Malthus
said. — NZN
The Australian businessman who
crashed his $20 million McLaren
F1 sports car near Queenstown has
been granted diversion.
Barry Leigh Fitzgerald, 63,
of Melbourne, was charged
with careless driving after the
December 3 smash.
The owner of several McDonalds
franchises in Victoria, Fitzgerald
did not appear in court and was
remanded at large so police could
A Wellington-based police
media adviser said Fitzgerald had
completed diversion, but would
not say what the conditions of his
diversion agreement were.
Fitzgerald was on the final leg of
a rally of 31 McLarens between
Auckland and Queenstown when
his 1994 model — capable of
reaching 386kph — ended up in a
ditch after skidding off Glenorchy-
Queenstown Road about 9km from
the resort. — Otago Daily Times
Sports car crash driver granted diversion
The whodunnit over
disappearance of 10 heavy, wooden
pews from an Auckland church has
Police originally thought the seats,
which are more than 117 years old,
were taken from Mount Eden
Presbyterian Church in a break-in.
But rather than a burglary, it
seems confusion was to blame.
Constable Laura Van Doormaal
say police received several calls
who provided information that
the building was due to be
demolished and they removed the
Police then contacted the church
managers, who were not aware the
pews were due to be removed.
Ms Van Doormaal said the case
was no longer being treated as a
burglary as there appeared to have
been a misunderstanding.
She said police will speak further
to the parties to establish exactly
what happened, but “the good
news is that no one has burgled the
church”. — NZ N
Missing pews puzzle solved
A kayaker was rescued off Wellington’s
south coast after losing his kayak.
Police were called to help the man who
was waiting about 60m off Island Bay,
but when they arrived he had gone.
A police spokeswoman said inquiries
revealed a Dive Centre boat picked up
the kayaker and a dog and brought them
safely to shore. — NZ ME
Port Hills fire crews
Firefighters say they are making good
progress in controlling the fire in the
Worsleys Road area of Christchurch’s
Patrols will continue in the area, but
crews will no longer be actively working
there unless called in for a flare-up.
Fire Ser vice liaison officer Bruce Irvine
said residents were asked to help by
being vigilant and to contact emergency
ser vices if they see any sign of the fire
“O ur crews have made great progress
and we’re pleased to be able to pull back
from the Worsleys area, but we really
need people to keep a watch on things
for us,’’ he said.
“The more eyes we have out there
looking the better.”
Fire crews are continuing operations
in other areas affected by fires that broke
out more than a week ago and burned
through 2000ha of scrub and forest.
Yesterday, civil defence announced that
cordons had been relaxed at Worsleys
Road, Kennedys Bush Road and Hoon
Hay Valley Road to allow residents and
landowers to return to their properties.
The state of emergency declared last
week was extended on Tuesday as fires
in the area kept firefighters busy, despite
Officials have warned conditions
could still cause hot spots to flare up
and the flames to spread, and said
residents should be prepared to evacuate
immediately. — NZ N
Boy falls through window
A family holiday turned into a medical
emergency yesterday when a young
boy was flown to hospital after falling
through a glass window.
The 10-year-old suffered lacerations to
his body after he tripped and fell through
a window in Papa Aroha, Coromandel,
just after 10am.
An Auckland Westpac
helicopter spokeswoman said the boy and
his family were visiting from America.
He was treated at the scene and flown to
Starship Hospital. — N ZM E
Links Archive February 22nd 2017 February 24th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page