Home' Greymouth Star : March 25th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
2— Saturday, March 25, 2017
PICTURE: Paul McBride
Students grow lettuce in the dark
Paparoa Range Area School Blackball site pupils Rebecca Little, left, Ashton Middleton and Storm Tissiman-Gempton check the
school vegetable garden and tunnelhouse yesterday. Teacher Joella Hagenaar said the children had been learning about gardening
and it had been enlightening. “ There has been a real focus on gardening around the school, and the children even did experiments to
see if lettuce can grow in the dark.”
Police swoop on $10k bank
Banks will be forced to provide
police with customer details on all cash
transactions over $10,000 in a fresh
crackdown on money laundering and the
potential financing of terrorism.
Under new rules to be introduced from
November, banks will give police sensitive
information including names, locations
and even phone numbers.
Police say it is a crucial step in gathering
intelligence — but it has prompted fears
of more erosion of privacy.
Banks say they cannot rule out passing
on the cost to customers in fee rises.
New Zealand Council for Civil Liberties
spokesman Thomas Beagle said police
seemed to be gathering data without
reason to suspect a crime.
“It’s particularly worrying that police
will be collecting all this information
without the need for a warrant,” he said.
“If they suspect someone of a crime they
can go see a judge and get a warrant.”
The new rules will also see banks alert
the Financial Intelligence Unit to all
international wire transfers from New
Zealand of $1000.
It is a harder line to current rules
which mean “suspicious transactions” are
by reported banks and other financial
The new regulations are expected to lead
to a huge increase in delicate banking
data— including of individual clients —
Customer details submitted to police
will include names, account numbers,
types and amounts of funds, locations,
addresses, phone numbers, and “any other
Mr Beagle said the new thresholds of
$1000 for international and $10,000 for
domestic transactions appeared too low.
“Police are doing this more and more
because they can, rather than because
they need it. It’s concerning the
Government will have access to all this
personal information, just in case they
According to police statistics, 8989
transactions were reported to police in
2016 with a total value of $6.06 billion
an increase in value from 2015 when
10,247 transactions were reported at a
value of $3.7 billion.
Of those transactions, police estimate
$1.6b in dirty money was being laundered
In a submission to the Ministry of
Justice last year, the New Zealand Bankers’
Association raised concerns about the
security and vast volume of customer
information police will be handling from.
It warned the increased workload “will
require significant cost and resources”
to deal with the transactions which are
“expected to be very large”.
Several banks stated it was too early to
know if the added cost would be passed
on to customers.
The Financial Intelligence Unit said
the intent of the new rules was to further
build an intelligence picture across the
entire financial system and “identify any
suspicious looking activity or patterns”.
It said customer details would be tightly
controlled to prevent improper access and
Karen Scott-Howman, chief executive of
the Bankers’ Association, acknowledged
the role banks play in fighting financial
crime but said customer privacy and
confidentiality was taken seriously.
“It ’s not unusual for policy and lawmakers
to strike a balance between personal rights
and other obligations to maintain the law
and security,” she said.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner
has also warned that any collection
of citizens’ data “should have a clear
purpose, and the data collection should be
It said the new regulations appeared to
meet that threshold.
A Financial Markets Authority
spokesman said it starts monitoring
reporting entities for compliance from
New Zealand Herald
When Hastings resident Neville Lush
turned to his lawyer to withdraw money
from a family trust in 2014 the last thing
he expected to hear was that the account
Three years later Mr Lush had the
satisfaction of seeing his now-disgraced
lawyer David John Porteous sentenced to
six months’ home detention for stealing
almost $80,000 from clients during the
latter years of a three-decade legal career.
Porteous, 66, pleaded guilty to
two charges of theft by person in a
special relationship in January after
unassumingly misappropriating his
clients’ funds for years.
“He had been our lawyer for about 30
odd years. I mean you’d never expect
anything like that to be going on. I just
couldn’t believe it,” Mr Lush said.
Mr Lush and wife Morag had
unknowningly been theft victims since
2009 and said they had only thought
good things of Porteous, as their good
friend and family lawyer, until several
The relationship was close and the two
men had played bowls together for many
Mr Lush said what was perhaps the
most frustrating part of it all was that if
Porteous had asked to loan their money
they would have been happy to help.
“He had to be desperate to do what he
did,” Mr Lush said.
“ We’ve actually been told he would
probably get home detention. Home
detention (is) fine. All we wanted was
the guilty plea”
When Mr Lush could not withdraw
several thousand dollars from his family
trust in 2014 for a major heart surgery he
complained and Porteous proceeded to
close his firm and hand in his practising
certificate amid investigations into the
misuse of the trust fund.
“All we wanted was him to admit that
he had stolen our money and he never
(did) until the 11th hour,” Mr Lush said.
The couple said while they had been
repaid the “majority” of the funds stolen
from them, about $50,000, they would
find it hard to trust people with money
Porteous appeared in the Napier
District Court yesterday for the
sentencing in what was described by
Judge Stan Thorburn as a “sad case”.
“It seems to me this is a man who
got in a vortex of dishonesty which, as
dishonesty does, compounded and drove
him into the dilemma of continuing to
make bad choices.”
“ He stands in the state of his life as a
shamed lawyer not able to practise now
having lost his reputation and having
lost his friendships and having lost all
material assets. He’s bankrupt,” Judge
As one of Hastings’ longest-ser ving
lawyers, Judge Thorburn said he could
not understate the importance that
people in Porteous’s position should be
unequivocally and confidently trusted.
“ It is a truly disappointing end to his
He was sentenced to six months’ home
detention, 250 hours of community
work and ordered to pay reparation costs
totalling approximately $35,000 to the
New Zealand Law Society.
Represented by Mathew Phelps,
the court heard Porteous had “lost
everything” and was now bankrupt and
living in a rental property with his son
in Raureka where he will spend the next
While this is Porteous’ first conviction
it is not the first time he had been in
court facing dishonesty charges.
In 2004 Porteous was found not guilty
of altering and using a document with
intent to defraud after a four-day trial in
the Napier District Court.
New Zealand Herald
The owners of a new Vietnamese sandwich
shop in west Auckland have been roasted
by outraged customers who took offence to
‘ homophobic’ terms being included on its
The Bun Mee Kiwi outlet in Henderson
only opened last week.
Some customers have been quick to take
offence at the message at the top of its menu
board — which said people could have their
hot, spicy foods and jalapeno ”unless you are
a poof ”.
Gay and lesbian support groups have
expressed outrage at the menu.
“This is highly offensive,” Trevor Easton,
general manager of Outline NZ, said.
“For someone like myself who has
been called a poof during childhood and
adulthood, this is really not on.
“Maybe the sandwich shop owners
thought it was funny, but it is not. It is very
unfortunate that these kinds of attitudes
still exist in New Zealand in 2017.”
Toni Duder, spokeswoman for Rainbow
Youth, was also appalled.
“This is really offensive and it is a good
example of casual, everyday homophobia
that is still going on out there.
“It is all good to have a laugh but not at
the expense of other people. It is ridiculous.”
Bun Mee Kiwi owners — who would
only give their names as Mark and Saffron
said they had taken down the offending
menu board and were having a new one
updated, minus the reference to “poofs”.
“The backlash has been quite shocking,”
actually,” Mark said.
“ We have many gay friends and it is not
a homophobic slur where we come from in
the Pacific islands.
“If we have offended anyone, we apologise.”
In 2013 All Black Israel Dagg apologised
for the use of a homophobic slur on Twitter.
New Zealand Herald
Shop embroiled in ‘homophobic’ menu stoush
Died March 25,
12 months have gone so
fast, and we miss you
Happy memories will be
Love always Robert
and Leigh, Sue and
Alex, Gary and Julie,
Mark and Leigh, and
children and great-
77 Shakespeare Street
Telephone 03 768 5868
14 McGlashen Ave
Telephone 03 544 1129
• Professional care you can
rely on and trust
• A company with
compassion and honesty
• Personal audio visuals
designed for you
• Cremations and burials
• Monumental designed
Thelma. — On March
21, 2017 at Allen Bryant
Lifecare, Hokitika, aged
86 years. Dearly loved
wife of the late Michael,
Stephen (Bede) (Hari
Hari), Christopher and
Lisa (Perth, Australia),
and the late Jacinta,
loved nan of Ben,
David; Nicholas, Chloe;
Lauren, and Ronan,
loved sister of Roy, Ken,
Kay, and the late Trevor,
Dudley, and Harold, and
a loved aunty of all her
nieces and nephews.
Messages to 89
Wanganui Flat Road,
RD1, Hari Hari 7814. In
Doreen's memory dona-
tions to the West Coast
Cancer Society can be
made at the service or
posted to PO Box 81,
Greymouth 7840. A
Funeral Mass for
Doreen will be celebra-
ted at St Anne's Catholic
Church, Hari Hari, on
Monday March 27,
commencing at 2pm.
Following the Mass
Doreen will be laid to
rest with Michael in the
Hari Hari Cemetery.
Directors Ltd. FDANZ,
Hokitika. Phone (03)
Ph 768 0250
Value the life,
make it right
Don’t live with
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
NZ police helped probe that led to arrest of teen in Israel
The arrest of a 19-year-old in
Israel follows a wave of telephone
bomb threats to New Zealand
The Jewish-Israeli teenager
allegedly made dozens of
threatening phone calls to Jewish
community centres across the
United States, Australia and New
Zealand in recent weeks.
New Zealand police became
involved in an international
investigation into telephone
threats in response to bomb
threats, which saw a number
of schools across the country
evacuated last year.
As a result of these inquiries,
they provided information to the
A threatening pre-recorded
message had been phoned in to
a number of schools in Auckland,
Hamilton, Tauranga, Gisborne,
Palmerston North, Masterton
and Christchurch in December.
Hoax bomb threats were also
made to at least 33 schools
around the country in February
The calls happened over two
days and the police believed they
National manager of criminal
Superintendent Tim Anderson
said the threats
considerable disruption and fear.
“I hope that today ’s development
will bring some comfort to the
victims involved in New Zealand.
“This was a
utilised voice over internet
Mr Anderson said the arrest
showed the value of the strong
international partnerships New
Zealand police have with overseas
law enforcement jurisdictions.
“I am mindful that we must let
the Israeli judicial process run
its course, meaning that we are
limited in the information we can
Israeli police spokesman Micky
Rosenfeld said the teenager, from
the south of Israel, holds Israeli
and United States citizenship.
Rosenfeld said the suspect used
technology to make himself
harder to track and mask his
identity while making the threats,
which caused “fear and panic in
Jewish communities’’ around the
He added that, in one instance,
bomb threats made by the
suspect caused a plane to make
an emergency landing.
An Israeli court ruled police
could keep the teenager, whose
name cannot be disclosed, in
detention until April 30.
Petition launched after spate of brutal Auckland shop robberies
Shocking video footage of an
Auckland shopkeeper desperately
trying to fend off a violent
robbery is the latest incident in a
spate of brutal attacks.
The violence has grown to such
a level that a petition will be
submitted to Parliament calling
for a review of the effectiveness
of current police policies and
strategy, Stop Crime NZ crime
prevention group founder Sunny
Video of Wednesday night’s
Otahuhu liquor shop robbery
shows three men enter the store
One of the offenders jumps
across the counter and begins to
attack the shopkeeper with a pole.
After the offender drops the
pole, the shopkeeper uses it in an
attempt to ward off his attackers.
However, the offender returns
and wrestles the shopkeeper to
the ground before repeatedly
Mr Kaushal said the shopkeeper
was lucky to suffer only minor
injuries, but said the violent
upswing in robberies has left
shop owners forced to call for a
Last night, a second Stop Crime
NZ meeting was held, following
an initial meeting after a brutal
robbery at a Mount Roskill dairy
“Our concern is the continuing
robberies and brutal attacks on
shop owners and small businesses
in public places,’’ Mr Kaushal
“Our concern is the safety of
residents, which is a fundamental
right. Our concern is, the law-
and-order situation appears out
He said six shops in Auckland
have been robbed during the past
10 days, including the Crown
Superette in Mount Roskill
where a group of seven offenders
attacked and seriously injured the
dairy owner and his wife.
Along with the petition, a
community protest march is
being planned for next month.
The officer in charge of the
investigation that resulted in the
conviction of a Bay of Plenty
man for shooting four policemen
has welcomed the guilty verdicts
Rhys Warren, 27, was found
guilty in Hamilton District
Court of two counts of attempted
murder, one of wounding with
intent to cause grievous bodily
harm and one charge of using a
firearm against a police officer.
Warren’s house was surrounded
by police after he allegedly fired
at a spotter plane searching for
cannabis in March last year.
There was a 22-hour stand-off
and a shoot out occurred when
the Armed Offenders Squad
entered his house.
He had admitted firing shots
but argued it was in self-defence.
Outside the court, detective
inspector Mike Foster welcomed
“ We’re very pleased — it’s a
miracle we didn’t have two police
officers killed on that day. ”
Warren will be sentenced on
May 26 in Tauranga. —
Guilty verdicts in police shootings welcomed
A 38-year-old woman
has been charged with
assault with intent to
cause grievous bodily
harm in relation to an
attack on a person in
a Sumner car park on
Police arrested the
woman and a 16-year-
old, who has been
charged with burglary
and with being an
accessory after the
The teen will appear in
the Christchurch Youth
Meanwhile, the victim
of the assault, who
suffered serious head
injuries, is in hospital in a
making inquiries and
are likely to lay further
charges, a police
are under way at three
Officers will continue to
investigate the incident
Police want anyone who
may have seen a gold-
coloured Toyota Vitz
car or its occupants near
Ferrymead and Sumner
late yesterday. They are
particularly interested in
sightings of the vehicle in
the Sumner beachfront
area near Clifton Terrace.
Two arrests following
are calling on Cobden
residents to dial 111
straight away after a
Bright Street resident was
disturbed early today by a
Acting sergeant Scott
Crook, of Greymouth,
said police were called
to Cobden at about 3am
after a resident reported
a knock on their door
then movement by an
unknown person on their
Mr Crook encouraged
people to report such
incidents to police straight
away by dialling 111 and
police would attend.
A 17-year-old boy was
nabbed drink driving in
Marlborough Street early
The young driver is
subject to a zero alcohol
limit being under the age
of 20. He blew 559mg
and will appear in court.
Meanwhile a Westport
man was released on bail
from the Greymouth
police cells this morning
following his arrest in
Westport last night
following a domestic
The NZCC West
Coast Rescue Helicopter
was called to Reefton
yesterday at 4pm to
transfer a patient from
the medical centre to
The helicopter was
on its way north to the
Kahurangi National Park
this morning shortly after
9 o’clock after the Rescue
received a personal locator
No further details were
available this morning.
Links Archive March 24th 2017 March 27th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page