Home' Greymouth Star : April 29th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Saturday, April 29, 2017
PICTURE: Ami Dhabuwala
Toys sleepover at library
A stuffed toy sleepover this week drew littlies and their animals to the Grey District Council — Rohan Macgillivray with Wee
Doggy, left front, Kayson Reid with Wabbit, Alice Farrelly named her teddy ‘Dog’ after her dad’s ‘Dog’, Amelia Mckirdy with Blue
Bird, Leilani Weil with Foxy, left rear, Corianna Kitchin with Piggy, and Kahlen Harnett with Tim the Dog. The children were also
busy creating animal passports and personalised sleep masks for their toys. They left their furry friends at the library overnight and
today collected photos of what they all got up to in their absence.
PICTURE: Viv Logie
Road safety boost
The new pedestrian island in Shakespeare Street,
outside the Westland Recreation Centre, is part of
$80,000 of work to make the area safe, according
to the Grey District Council. Transport engineer
Karl Jackson said a pedestrian crossing would be
put in place by the Marlborough Street intersec-
tion, along with new road markings and a ‘slow ’
school zone. The street was busy and the changes
would make it safer for schoolchildren in the area,
along with visitors to the recreation centre.
A Dunedin businessman is stunned the
man who stalked him for two and a half
years tried to arrange a community-work
placement through a family member.
Jeremy Fraser Buis 39, was sentenced to
200 hours’ community work and ordered to
pay the victim, Danny Pryde, $15,000 after
being found guilty of criminal harassment,
intentional damage and threatening to do
gross bodily harm, before the Dunedin
District Court last week.
The case made headlines after the public
servant subjected his victim to a torrent of
Defence lawyer Anne Stevens told the
court an agency placement had been found
with Age Concern Otago and Judge Paul
Kellar said it seemed “entirely appropriate”.
But it emerged this week that the offer by
the organisation to take Buis was initiated by
his de-facto brother-in-law Rob Aitken — a
board member of Age Concern.
He said last week that he was confident
the convicted stalker — whose occupation
was suppressed — was someone of “good
Yesterday he said he did not disclose the
family link because he did not think it
was significant. But Corrections, which is
responsible for administering community-
work sentences, called it a “conflict of
District manager Raymond Clark initially
said a placement for Buis had not yet
been finalised before later confirming Age
Concern had been ruled out.
He said the 39-year-old had made the
family link clear in initial discussions with
“Staff are working closely with Mr Buis to
ensure the safety of both him and the public,
regarding an appropriate community-work
placement,” Mr Clark said.
Mr Pryde, who suffered “a living hell’’
at the hands of the defendant, said he
was shocked at what he saw as another
“He’s obviously tried to make the sentence
as light as possible for himself,” he said.
The bizarre campaign of stalking was
prompted by an episode on June 14, 2012,
when Buis parked his car in front of the rear
driveway to Pryde Engineering in Ward
Street, and his vehicle was then ticketed.
Buis’s rage over the incident led to
anonymous text messages, progressed to the
defendant leaving the victim’s contact details
at a notorious gay hangout and later he set
up a fake homosexual internet dating profile
using Mr Pryde’s photo from his work
There was also graffiti around D unedin
bearing the victim’s name.
Mr Pryde said some of it was still there
and he believed Buis should spend his
community work cleaning that up.
Mr Aitken said he was up front with Age
Concern about providing a placement for
his brother-in-law and just wanted to help
someone he knew “really well”.
“I was 100% certain it was a genuine
comment from Jeremy he wanted to do
something useful and helpful,” he said.
“I don’t see necessarily a conflict of interest,”
Mr Aitken said.
Mr Aitken said he was involved in the
strategic side of the organisation and would
not have had contact with Buis.
Age Concern chief executive Stephanie
Clare said the organisation accepted
many offenders on community work
placements and each regional office operated
Mr Pryde voluntarily lifted his own name
suppression at Buis’s sentencing because he
did not want other Dunedin businessmen to
be put in the spotlight.
He felt his decision had been vindicated
over the past week.
“I’ve found a bit of peace in discussing (the
case),” he said. — Otago Daily Times
Shock over stalker’s placement
An impatient driver has staged
a protest against Auckland
gridlock traffic by driving along
A video shows the people mover
manoeuvring between fences and
power poles as it travels along
the pavement in a bid to beat
the traffic on Mahia Road in
Eyewitness Roberta Leevard,
whose son took the video, said a
pedestrian was forced to jump out
of the way as the car drove along
the sidewalk on Thursday evening.
“She (the pedestrian) was
walking towards the car and he
made her move. He just kept
going, he wasn’t going to stop.
“She stopped and stared at him.
I think she was shocked.’’
Other drivers watched in shock,
while some tooted at the vehicle,
“I’ve never seen a person make a
third lane before and drive along
“A t fi rst I noticed the car coming
“I thought perhaps he was stuck
in a driveway. He tried to imply
he was going down a side street
but he didn’t.
“That ’s when I realised what he
was doing,’’ Mrs Leevard said.
“The car hardly fitted along the
She said the car travelled along
the footpath from the intersection
of Mahia and Christmas roads
all the way to Beaumonts Way
Extension — about 300m.
Mahia Road is a major
thoroughfare, which connects to
the Southern Motor way.
Driver takes footpath shortcut Dunedin
Oceana Gold has booked record quarterly
gold production, up 44% on a year ago,
delivering 147,946oz for the period, albeit
with an impairment charge which dragged
For the just second time in 27 years, a mine
other than its mainstay Macraes site in east
Otago has produced more gold during a
quarter. Its northern Philippines Didipio
mine contributed 62,748oz while Macraes
For the quarter, Oceana’s after-tax profit
of $US53.7million ($78.09million) was
dragged down by legal costs in an El Salvador
venture, which attracted a $US17.7m
impairment charge, delivering a final after-
tax profit of $US36m.
Oceana chief executive Mick Wilkes said
it was “another strong quarter” for New
Zealand’s largest gold miner, highlighting its
strong balance sheet, quality assets, growth
opportunities and industry-leading profit
margins gained from low production costs.
“ We achieved record quarterly gold
production on the back of record production
at Didipio and the commencement of
production at our newest asset Haile (in
South Carolina),” Mr Wilkes said in a
In the Philippines, Oceana had in recent
months become embroiled in a round
of mine closures and suspensions by the
Department of Environment and Natural
Resources, but because Oceana immediately
appealed that ruling, it was able to continue
Oceana said yesterday it was awaiting a
ruling from the Office of the President, the
hard-line Rodrigo D uterte.
In February Philippine Environment
Secretary Regina Lopez ordered the
permanent closure of 22 mines, for
The Philippines is the world’s top nickel ore
On Thursday, Ms L opez said the ban on
open-pit mining would not apply to existing
mines, but only to undeveloped ones, Reuters
Oceana’s crucial all-in sustaining costs to
produce an ounce of gold, from consolidated
operations, was $US521, following sales of
114,022oz and 4148 tonnes of copper.
Revenue for the quarter was up 10% on the
previous at $US161.8m and earnings before
interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation
were a record $US101.7m.
Cash in hand stood at $US70.6m, while
total debt was $332.8m. Oceana maintained
its earlier production guidance for calendar
2017 at 550,000 to 610,000oz, which would
be its first year delivering more than half
a million ounces. Other company filings
“The focus for 2017 will continue to be
on growing the company ’s (estimated gold)
resource base, leading to mine life extensions”.
— Otago Daily Times
Production record for Oceana
After the loss of their
Rosemary and their
families wish to thank
everyone for their many
cards and kind messages
of sympathy that they
have received. Your
support has been truly
appreciated. Thank you.
• Professional care you can
rely on and trust
• Highly qualified personnel
• A company with
compassion and honesty
• Chapel and catering
• Personal audio visuals
designed for you
• Available any hour, day
• Cremations and burials
• Monumental designed
77 Shakespeare Street
Telephone 03 768 5868
14 McGlashen Ave
Telephone 03 544 1129
Ph 768 0250
Value the life,
make it right
Don’t live with
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
Mary. — Peacefully at
Julia Wallace Retire-
ment Village on Thurs-
day, April 27th, 2017.
Aged 86 years. Loved
wife of the late Gil.
James, Phil (Spinner),
Chris, Greg, Susan,
Gerard (deceased), and
Helen. Requiem Mass
will be held for
Margaret at St Mary's
Catholic Church, 69
Ruahine Street, Palmer-
ston North on Tuesday,
May 2, at 1.30pm.
Followed by private
Home. Phone (06) 355
SMITH, Conor Jon
Neil. — Passed away on
April 22, 2017 in the
Fiordland doing what he
loved, aged 22. Deeply
loved and precious son
of Neil and Ann, adored
brother and great friend
of Olivia and Nick,
cherished grandson of
Malcolm and Jan Smith,
and the late Frank and
May Barltrop, a special
friend of Julie, Jake, and
Megan, a loved nephew,
cousin and a friend of
many. In lieu of flowers
donations to Wakatipu
Land Search & Rescue
would be appreciated
and can be made at the
service or posted to C/-
PO Box 45, Queenstown
9300. Messages to 19
Karoro Place, Grey-
Life is either a daring
adventure or nothing
A funeral service to
celebrate Conor's life
will be held in Holy
Trinity Anglican Church
on Tuesday at 1pm
followed by cremation
here in Greymouth at the
Phone (03) 768 0250
David Dougherty, the man wrongly
convicted of kidnapping and raping an
11-year-old girl, has died. He was 50 years
Dougherty succumbed to pancreatic
cancer in the early hours of last Thursday
morning at his Palmerston North home.
He was acquitted of the 1993 rape
charges after a retrial in 1997 with new
In 2001, he received an apology from the
Government and was awarded $868,728
Yesterday, Dougherty was cremated at
Waikumete Cemetery in west Auckland
after spending the final weeks of his life
saying his goodbyes “in his own way ’’ to
family and friends.
“He’s was incarcerated for so long for
something he didn’t do, and when he came
home to west Auckland, he was free. In a
wider sense. So we wanted to send him
free at home,’’ his niece, Jamie Tau Harris,
Dougherty, whom she described as being
“ like a father to me’’, will have his ashes
taken to Northland to join his mother’s
She said Dougherty had suffered from
cancer “the last two, maybe three years’’ of
“The doctors told him to look after
himself but I guess after a lot of wear and
tear ... He was in a lot of pain. He actually
came up here to stay a lot. He was in
intense pain, sleeping was just a nightmare
for him, he said.’’
She said Dougherty had just celebrated
his 50th birthday.
“He was up here (in Auckland) and was
having a great time.
“My mum was talking to him every
couple of days and he was starting to feel
“S he got a phone call the morning that
he passed to say that he had not woken --
he’d died in the early hours of the morning.
“He was such a large-hearted man, I
couldn’t express his endless love. I’m just
so glad he’s at peace now.’’
Murray Gibson, Dougherty ’s lawyer and
the man who fought for him during his
legal battle, said he had recently received a
“poignant ’’ phone call from his old client.
“He finished the call by saying he loved
me, twice. It’s something a lawyer doesn’t
always get to hear from their past clients.’’
Mr Gibson said he had been very
fortunate in the way he met Dougherty.
“A scientist that I’ve previously worked
with, Arie Geursen, read a report for
David’s Court of Appeal hearing, where
the court dismissed his appeal, but had
made comments that alerted Arie to the
fact that something was very wrong.
“I’ll never forget that (Dougherty) said to
me, he said ‘Murray, I’m innocent ’. With
the assistance of Arie and (journalist)
Donna Chisholm we were able to establish
that, indeed, he was.’’
Mr Gibson said Dougherty was “one
of the only people I know who has been
proven innocent by someone else being
proven guilty ’’.
he said Dougherty’s
incarceration for three years had had a
negative affect on his client.
“He was working and had a happy
relationship with his long-standing
partner and children when he was wrongly
arrested for that offence.
“I suspect the effects of being in jail for
approximately three years, when every day
he had to suffer with the knowledge that
he was innocent. It took its toll.’’
Dougherty had several issues with the
law after his release, often for alcohol-
He appeared in the Palmerston North
District Court this year for assaulting a
police officer last November.
Mr Gibson said he had had a special
bond with Dougherty, as did Chisholm,
whose stories and continued coverage of
the case led to his release and pardon.
Ms Chisholm, an award-winning
Dougherty ’s retrial, was shocked and
saddened by the news of his death.
“I’m feeling awful that I couldn’t do more
for him,’’ she said last night.
“He was a kind, intelligent and articulate
man whom I liked and cared for.
“ We could get him out of jail but we
couldn’t release him from his pain — and
that ’s unbearably sad.’’
Ms Chisholm had spoken to Dougherty
sporadically in the years following his
release from prison.
A tele-movie called Until Proven
Innocent was made about the Dougherty
case, in which Ms Chisholm was a main
In 2003, Nicholas Reekie was jailed 25
years for the crime, and several other sex
offences against women.
Dougherty’s fight for freedom
In 1993, Dougherty is wrongly
convicted on charges of abduction and the
rape of an 11-year-old west Auckland girl.
In 1997, new DNA evidence rules
him out as the attacker, and Dougherty
is acquitted. He had spent three years in
In 2001 he is issued a public apology,
and $868,728.80 in compensation.
In 2003, Nicholas Reekie is found
guilty and convicted of the crime.
Man wrongfully jailed dies
Four of China’s “most wanted’’ fugitives
have reportedly fled to our shores.
China’s anti-corruption watchdog,
the Central Commission for Discipline
Inspection (CCDI), has revealed the
identity, possible addresses and travel
documents for 22 of their country’s top
Referring to the alleged fugitives as
“a community stain’’, the CCDI stated
the information in the list came from
whistleblowers. It has encouraged more
informants to come forward.
No 2 on the most-wanted list is Jiang
Lei, who is believed to be living in
Lei reportedly fled to New Zealand
10 years ago and is suspected of
Chen Xingming comes in at No 5 and
has reportedly been living in Half Moon
Bay after he arrived in New Zealand in
misappropriating public funds.
No 10 on the list is Xuan Xiuying who
is also suspected of misappropriating
public funds as well as concealing an
She has reportedly been living in
Eastern Beach since fleeing China in
Yu Tainan is 15th on the list and is
accused of embezzlement and corruption.
It is believed he has been in New Zealand
since 2007 and lives near One Tree Hill.
Another fugitive, Cheng Muyang, is
understood to have fled to New Zealand
in 2000 before moving to Canada.
The Chinese government believes the
other suspects are located in America,
London, Canada, Caribbean and one in
“ We hope that the majority of overseas
Chinese and international friends to
recognise the true face of these corrupt
elements, do not allow them to tarnish
the Chinese community and where the
community, so that they nowhere to
hide,’’ the CCDI website stated.
The commission urged countries
not to pursue their own “economic
interests’’ by “issuing passports and
visas through investment immigration
schemes when applicants are suspected
The CCDI website claimed to
have repatriated 2873 fugitives from
more than 90 countries by March 31,
2017, through the operation “Skynet
During a visit to New Zealand in 2014,
Chinese President Xi Jinping sought
New Zealand’s help to return a number
of fugitives who had fled China with
the proceeds of corruption, according to
John Key. — NZ ME
Fugitives may be in Auckland
A man is dead after a quad bike crash
in rural Canterbury late last night. The
incident occurred at the intersection of
Hakataramea Highway and Shearers
Hill Road, near Waimate, shortly before
midnight, police said in a statement.
Police were in the process of informing
next of kin and the serious crash unit
would be investigating. - - NZ ME
Man dead following quad bike crash
Links Archive April 28th 2017 May 1st 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page