Home' Greymouth Star : May 29th 2017 Contents P2
bids for council funds
MONDAY, MAY 29, 2017
$1.20 (Home Delivery 90c)
Phone 769 7900
The most read newspaper per capita in New Zealand
Readership of 11,000
Buller loses its last
tracked by GPS
A man who stole a Truline work
truck late on Friday probably did
not count on being traced via GPS.
The truck was reported stolen from
Dunollie and traced to the Ngahere
area where the man “decamped” and
fled, before being tracked down by a
police tracker dog. Acting sergeant
Jayne Bretherton of Greymouth
said the thief was known to police
and the truck he allegedly stole was
able to be tracked using the GPS
device in the vehicle. The culprit
had been charged with stealing the
vehicle along with breaching his
bail, Ms Bretherton said. He was
on bail due to a number of other
matters before the court. Meanwhile
a Westport man was arrested
following an incident at a hotel in
the town over the weekend, after
he failed to comply with a previous
A fire on the beach behind the
Paroa School and the Paroa Hotel
was extinguished over about 30
minutes on Saturday afternoon.
Greymouth fire chief Lee Swinburn
said they were called out about 1pm
to the beach area between the hotel
and the school where a large tree
stump, which had been washed up,
was alight. No one was at the scene
when the brigade arrived. A 4x4
utility with a water pump mounted
on the back was used to gain access.
From a fish giving birth to having
a baby on the side of the road
and a third grandmother dying
in six months, these are some of
the ‘weirdest ’ excuses people have
used for not showing up to work.
What makes them even stranger is
that they all turned out to be true.
Somebody took to Reddit to ask
employers to reveal the weird and
wonderful excuses their employees
have given to get out of coming
into work — and they did not
disappoint. One person called up
the workplace to say that they could
not make it in because one of their
goats was in labour and they even
sent a picture to prove it. One of
the most bizarre reasons given was
from a man whose fish was due to
give birth and he had to stay around
as it is extinct in the wild, making
the offspring very valuable. Another
user revealed that their cat got stuck
inside a desk so they had to take the
day off to help free it. — Daily Mail
By Paul McBride
and Brendon McMahon
A father and son sur vived a
harrowing ordeal to make it
into a liferaft as their boat was
pounded by heavy seas in the
middle of the night, before
coming ashore on Cobden beach.
Mathew Fisher and his son
Adin were on the fishing boat
the Kutere, along with owner Les
The vessel became stranded on
the sandbar while pounded by
waves, but the men managed to
set off flares and then get off the
boat by liferaft.
All three are safe and well.
“I was down below sleeping at
the time when the boat lurched
and next minute I was hit by a
wave,” Mr Fisher said.
“I was yelling out for my son
(Adin) but it just happened that
he was up relieving himself up in
the wheelhouse. We were sitting
on the sandbar and the boat was
leaning right over, I was getting
hit by waves but we got the
liferaft and got ashore.
“It was dark but the lights were
still going on the old girl. We had
only five tonnes of fish but I’ve
been fishing on the old girl since
I was 18 years old.”
The Kutere remained on the
Cobden beach and will face
another heavy sea this afternoon
while a decision is made by
parties concerned on what to do.
The vessel is owned by former
Greymouth fisherman Mr
Horncastle. A Talley ’s spokesman
said at this stage there was
nothing to say until an official
arrived from Christchurch to
meet with Mr Horncastle and
the insurance company.
The Kutere sent a Mayday
message shortly before 1.45am to
say it was in trouble at the Grey
River mouth and drifting north
towards the beach.
A short while later the boat
sent a radio message to Maritime
Centre to say it had run aground
on the beach.
All were safe, but cold and
A Maritime NZ spokesman
said the 16.5m fishing vessel was
intact with no evidence at this
stage of any oil or fuel spill from
Police were notified and
St John attended briefly and
checked the crew, the Martitime
NZ spokesman said.
Talleys along with the West
Coast Regional Council had
Martitime NZ would follow
up with inquiries into what
happened in due course.
Greymouth Coastguard skipper
Doug Griffin said it was not
called, which he assumed was “a
“They put the Mayday out and
then not long after they said they
were safe and well.”
Greymouth police said this
morning that apart from them
initially responding, Maritime
NZ was the lead agency in
investigating what happened.
The three crew “were lucky
PICTURE: Paul McBride
Mathew Fisher and his son Adin on Cobden beach this morning after sur viving a harrowing ordeal when their fishing boat the Kutere came aground in the early
of the Hokitika Guardian
The death of a Hari Hari toddler
who was swept away last year in a river
fording gone wrong could possibly still
result in further charges.
Her father Michael Saunders has been
charged over her death and that of the
man who tried in vain to save the girl.
Work Safe New Zealand said today it
was still investigating.
Saunders, his wife Sandra and one
other man sur vived the ordeal when
their four-wheel-drive vehicle got stuck
in rising waters while attempting to
cross the Poerua River, near Hari Hari.
Their two-year-old daughter Emily,
and Greymouth possum trapper Barry
Petrie, 66 — who had tried to rescue her
— did not sur vive.
Mr Petrie’s body was found a few days
later. The search for Emily’s body was
eventually called off.
Almost a year after the drowning
tragedy police have now charged Mr
Saunders with two counts of dangerous
driving causing death.
The couple had been working as
sharemilkers in the Poerua area at the
time on the farm of Frank and Anne
Simpson, who have taken in the family
since the double drowning on June 9 last
Mrs Simpson told Stuff that Saunders
had since quit sharemilking and was
now driving trucks.
The family would soon be moving to
Ashburton, where Mr Saunders would
take up a new job.
He had been due to appear in the
Christchurch District Court on Friday,
via video link from the Greymouth
Courthouse, but the appearance was
abandoned. It was his sixth court date to
face the charges.
Worksafe NZ is conducting its own
investigation into the accident.
Work Safe still investigating Hari Hari drownings
The contractor who won the tender
to make the Taramakau Bridge beams
is also paying to transport the 44 loads
to the West Coast, the New Zealand
Transport Agency said this morning.
From today for three months, up to
three oversized loads a week will be
brought from Christchurch over the
mountains to the site of the new bridge.
The 45m loads will travel bumper to
bumper from Hornby. All up, there are
44 concrete bridge beams.
NZTA project delivery manager
Colin MacKay, said Fulton Hogan’s
competitive tender for the Taramakau
Bridge replacement included the cost
of manufacturing and transporting the
concrete beams from Christchurch to
the West Coast.
The contractor for a project was
responsible for all the work entailed, he
“In this case, there is a lot of West
Coast labour and manufacturing
involved in other parts of the project, for
example, Gray Brothers Engineering
work for the steel casings that form the
bridge piling system.”
While there would be some road
disruption in the transportation of the
very long beams, the road carrier would
be doing its best to minimise hold-ups
by leaving each day at 4.30am and being
aware of the need to allow traffic to
pass along the route without significant
The loads are due to arrive at
Taramakau about 6pm.
Delays for 10 to 20 minutes can be
expected going up Porters Pass and
going down the Otira Viaduct.
It is expected that the load will be
between Springfield and Arthur ’s
Pass 7.30am to 12.30pm and between
Arthur’s Pass and Otira about 2.30pm
Before travelling this route motorists
can check http://www.nzta.govt.nz/
traffic on the day to see if a truck is
Contractor pays to move huge bridge beams
A dog allegedly used by its
owner to attack Railway Hotel
bar staff and patrons on May 12
has been put down.
Grey District Council animal
control officer Paula Kerr said the
dog, a Staffordshire-type cross,
was euthanised late last week with
the consent of the owner.
William James Andrews, 25,
a recent arrival to Runanga
from the Wellington area, is in
prison awaiting his next court
appearance on June 13 for several
charges including using a dog to
Ms Kerr said the dog had
formerly been registered in
Andrews’ name while in the Hutt
Valley, but it had more recently
been registered in the name of
his partner. Andrews’ partner
was fairly co-operative and had
authorised the destruction.
“That ’s the main thing from
our point of view, that this dog
is no longer a risk out in the
community,” Ms Kerr said.
Council destroys attack dog
Links Archive May 27th 2017 May 30th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page