Home' Greymouth Star : May 30th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 5
Thousands of sur vivors of
devastating floods and landslides
in Sri Lanka are at risk of
potentially fatal diseases such as
dengue fever, charities warned
overnight as the death toll from
the disaster continued to rise.
Torrential rains over the last four
days have sparked widespread
flooding and triggered landslides
in south-western parts of the
Indian Ocean island. At least 177
people have died and almost half
a million others have had their
As search and rescue teams look
for more than 100 people who
remain missing, and Sri Lanka’s
military in boats and helicopters
struggle to reach marooned
villagers with food and clean
water, charities are warning of a
looming health threat.
“The threat of water-borne
diseases is a big concern with
over 100,000 people displaced
from their homes, many of whom
are staying in damp, crowded
conditions,” Chris McIvor, head
of Save the Children Sri Lanka,
“I ’m particularly worried we
could start seeing even more
dengue cases because of the
floods, as stagnant water provides
the perfect breeding ground for
mosquitoes. It’s the last thing
needed by communities that have
already lost so much.”
Outbreaks of diseases such
as dengue fever and cholera,
and illnesses like diarrhea and
dysentery, are often a threat
in the aftermath of floods, aid
Dengue is common in South
Asia, especially during the
monsoon season which runs
from June to September, and if
untreated, it can kill.
Sri Lanka’s ministry of disaster
management says almost 558,000
people from 15 of the country’s
25 districts have been hit by the
disaster. Villages and towns have
been inundated, thousands of
homes damaged and agriculture
About 75,000 people in the
worst-affected districts have been
relocated to temporary shelters.
Sri Lankan authorities have
called for international assistance
to help with search and rescue
efforts, and have also appealed
for aid ranging from boats,
generators and mobile toilets to
mosquito nets, c lothes and clean
But aid workers say reaching
sur vivors remains a challenge.
Entire communities remain
marooned, living out in the
open as their homes have been
destroyed, with roads submerged
under water or blocked by
communities is of the highest
priority right now so we can find
out exactly what the needs are
and respond,” McIvor said.
“At the same time more rains
are predicted since we are only
at the start of the south west
monsoon season, so the situation
could worsen even more over the
coming days and weeks. ”
Britain said intelligence ser vice MI5
was reviewing its processes following
a suicide bomb attack which killed 22
people in Manchester, as questions
continue over how much the
authorities knew about the assailant.
MI5 has launched two urgent
inquiries into how it missed the
danger posed by bomber Salman
Abedi, the Guardian newspaper
reported. The BBC said MI5 was
alerted at least three times to his
A source said last week that Abedi
was one of “a larger pool of former
subjects of interest ” whose risk
remained subject to review by MI5
and its partners.
Interior minister Amber Rudd
declined to comment on exactly what
was known about Abedi when asked
in several inter views overnight. But
in a highly unusual move for British
authorities, she confirmed that MI5
was reviewing its practices.
“ I do think it is right that MI5 take
a look at their processes to ensure that
they work to the best of the possible
limits to make sure that we keep
people safe,” she said.
Earlier, police made a 16th arrest
in connection with the Manchester
suicide bombing at a concert by
American singer Ariana Grande,
the deadliest attack in Britain for 12
Britons head to the polls in 10 days’
time to elect a new government.
Prime Minister Theresa May ’s
Conser vatives have seen their poll
lead cut in the wake of the attack and
after a u-turn over their social care
plans for the elderly.
Sur veys suggest May — who as
a former interior minister oversaw
the police and domestic intelligence
agency — might not win the landslide
predicted just a month ago. — Reuters
British police released a picture of
Manchester bomber Salman Abedi
overnight showing him wheeling a
blue suitcase on the day of the suicide
attack last week, asking the public to
come for ward with information as their
Abedi killed 22 people in a suicide
bombing at a concert by American
singer Ariana Grande last Monday,
in the most deadly militant attack in
Britain for 12 years.
“ We continue to track the final
movements of Salman Abedi and
are particularly interested in his
whereabouts between May 18 and 22,”
Detective Chief Superintendent Russ
Jackson of the North-west Counter-
Terrorism Unit said in a statement.
“ We believe Abedi was in possession
of this case in the days before the attack
at Manchester Arena on Monday,
May 22. I want to stress that this is a
different item than the one he used in
the attack,” he said. — Reuters
Salman Abedi with a distinctive suitcase in central Manchester on the day of
Bomber’s suitcase focus of probe
A mother has been reunited with her
daughter 41 years after she was stolen and
sold as a baby.
Julia, 64, who prefers not to disclose her last
name, describes how she was told her baby
had died shortly after she gave birth at an
illegal clinic in the city of Cordoba in 1976,
in the north-central Argentinian province of
the same name.
Julia says she was 23 and alone after her
partner abandoned her, so a friend took her
to the clinic of Malfada Espina de Journade.
Alone and without work, she says she was
the perfect victim for Malfada, who would
allegedly put the mothers to sleep after they
gave birth and told them their babies had
died when they woke up.
The midwife who ran the clinic in her house
between 1959 and 1991, then allegedly lied
to adoptive parents, telling them the babies
has been abandoned by their families as she
Julia, who could never have more children
for medical reasons, did not believe the story
clinic staff told her and continued to look for
However the clues were few and far
between until she joined an association called
Mothers and Sisters of the Soul.
She was also helped by Maria Gracia
Iglesias, Argentina’s Secretary of Human
Ms Iglesias said: “Last year we began
looking for Cristina and we found her in
a province of Buenos Aires, then we did a
DNA test to make sure.”
Shortly after wards Julia and her daughter
Iglesias described the event saying: “ The
meeting was very emotional, nobody could
believe how much they look like each other.
They hugged each other for ten minutes.”
Cristina stayed in her mother’s house for
three days and now she is planning to move
with her family to Cordoba.
Ms Iglesias added: “It was a big event,
Cristina came with her six children and they
called Julia grandmother.”
Cristina, whose adoptive parents have both
died, says she will move to be closer to her
mother; “who always looked for her”.
She is the second child sold by Malfada to
be reunited with their family. The first was
Soledad Carillo Pinero, 38, who was also
taken from her mother.
She was reunited with brothers and sister
Daniel, Jose Luis and Susana last year.
Midwife Malfada operated with impunity
from 1959 until 1991. She was then jailed
for six years, not for child trafficking but for
carrying out illegal abortions.
Ms Iglesias said: “She decided her prices
depending on the skin colour of the baby
and always sold to rich families, sometimes
charging what a house cost at the time.
“S he even sometimes made the mothers
work for two months after to cover the cost
of the birth.”
She died at liberty in 2012. — CEN
Julia, right was reunited with her long lost daughter Cristina after she was stolen and
sold as a baby.
Woman reunited with her stolen baby 41 years on
Assange a hacker, says
Ecuador’s new leftist
president Lenin Moreno
said overnight Julian
Assange is a “hacker,”
making his strongest
comments to date against
the Wikileaks founder
while still stressing he
could stay on in the
country’s London embassy.
Moreno, who was sworn
in earlier this month, has
broken with his predecessor
and mentor Rafael Correa,
who had said Assange was
a “journalist ” and granted him asylum in
London in 2012 to avoid extradition to
Sweden over rape allegations.
Assange, who denies the allegations,
feared Sweden would hand him
over to the United States to face
prosecution over Wikileaks’ publication
of thousands of classified military and
diplomatic documents in one of the
largest information leaks in US history.
During the campaign, Moreno had
already taken a tougher stance on
Assange, warning him “not to inter vene
in the politics” of countries
friendly to Ecuador.
“Mr Assange is a hacker.
That ’s something we reject,
and I personally reject,”
Moreno said overnight.
“But I respect the
situation he is in, which
calls for respect of his
human rights, but we also
ask that he respects the
situation he is in.”
eviction order in Ecuador’s
April election, after the
who had vowed to kick him out of the
embassy lost to Moreno.
Still, the tight presidential election
highlighted just how vulnerable Assange
is should a new government be ushered
In May, Swedish prosecutors dropped
their investigation into the rape
allegations but British police said
Assange would still be arrested if he
left the Ecuadorean embassy where he
has been holed up for five years.
Rescuers who rushed to help
a New South Wales fisherman
after a shark jumped into his
boat say the 2.7m great white was
“thrashing around and destroying
everything in sight ” when they
arrived at the scene.
Fisherman Terry Selwood,
73, was fishing off Evans Head
on the New South Wales north
coast on Saturday when the
200kg shark suddenly leaped
aboard his 4.5m boat.
“He came right over the top of
the motor and then dropped on
to the floor,” Selwood told ABC
“ I looked over and I thought,
‘Oh, a bloody shark! Well I’ll be
Selwood was knocked over
and left sprawling on the floor
of the boat. His arm was deeply
“There I was on all fours and
he’s looking at me and I’m
looking at him and then he
started to do the dance around
and shake and I couldn’t get out
quick enough onto the gunwale,”
he said. — AAP
Shark jumps into
uDeath toll 177
uOver 100,000 displaced
NZ trio leads crash rescue
Three New Zealanders have reportedly
played a leading role in a dramatic rescue
near Mount Everest after a cargo plane
crashed while landing at one of the
world’s most dangerous airports.
The plane, carrying three crew
members, crashed in foggy weather
at Tenzing-Hillary Airport in Lukla,
Nepal on Saturday (local time) where
photos show the wreckage dangling
precariously on a cliff.
This is when Andrew Roy, Andrew
Gutsell and Alyssa Lowe from
paramedic group Air Dynasty leaped in
to help out, according to NZME.
Roy, 24, helped cut open the plane’s
cockpit and pulled the pilots out, while
Gutsell jumped in to attempt to shut the
Despite the rescue efforts, the plane’s
pilot likely died on impact, while the co-
pilot died while being treated.
“The plane was a complete wreck but
after making sure it was safe and secure
I was able to find my way to and assess
both pilots,” Roy said.
“One pilot was dead, most likely on
impact, but I was able to reach the co-
pilot from the underside of the plane.
“ He was alive, though trapped and
unconscious. I found a small opening
and was able to cut through obstructing
metal to free the co-pilot. ”
The flight’s hostess was flown to
Katmandu the next morning.
Air Dynasty nurse Lowe praised her
colleagues on Facebook.
“ Mero Babu Andrew Roy, leading
the rescue like a boss and getting the
passengers out quickly and safely and
Mero Dai captain Andrew Gutsell who
gave me palpations jumping in the plane
in attempt to shut down the engine,” she
She told NZME she had no idea how
Roy got the pilots out of the wreckage.
“The plane was on the side of a cliff,
reeked of jet fuel, and the army were
hitting it with axes, causing the wreckage
to spark,” she said.
“ I thought it was going to blow. His
professionalism and courage were next
to none.” — NZN
Corby posts clip watching
media’s false car pursuit
Schapelle Corby has posted an
Instagram clip of her watching
live television footage of two
black vans on a motor way leading
media on a false trail after she
flew in from Bali.
The convicted drug smuggler
has eluded journalists in her
first 48 hours back on home
soil and the clip is believed to
be the first time she has shown
herself publicly since her return
The one-time Gold Coast
beauty student has not been
properly sighted since returning
to Q ueensland early on Sunday,
sparking an elaborate cat-and-
mouse game with waiting media.
The Instagram clip posted late
last night starts with a large
television screen showing live
chopper footage from Channel
7’s Sunrise programme of two
black vans taking a motor way
The camera pans away to
show Corby, dressed in black
and white, smiling and giving a
one-shoulder shrug as she stands
watching the television with
other adults in what appears to
be a hotel room.
It has been thought she might
be hiding out in Brisbane’s
“There’s the convoy. Pelle’s
being chased by helicopter,” her
sister Mercedes is heard saying as
she shoots the video and gives a
are,” she is heard saying as she
pans to her sister.
Corby was reported to have
31,240 views of the Instagram
Mercedes Corby also posted the
video on her Instagram account,
writing sarcastically: “Doing
what they do best . . . factual news
Rosleigh Rose, was not keen to
divulge Ms Corby’s whereabouts
to a thinned-out media pack
camped outside her Loganlea
home, south of Brisbane.
Corby was deported to
Australia from Indonesia over
the weekend. — AAP
Every day since March 1866.
Check out our photo galleries at
and order a copy now!
Looking for a photo
from local events?
Links Archive May 29th 2017 May 31st 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page