Home' Greymouth Star : June 1st 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, June 1, 2017 - 9
Blood-sucking vampire bats terrorising Brazilians
A plague of bloodsucking vampire
bats has caused panic in regions
across Brazil after they began feasting
on humans, leaving one person dead.
The diseased creatures first began
terrorising populated areas in March
after their natural home in nearby
forests and caves were destroyed.
Since then, terrified residents have
reported being feasted on by the
hungry mammals as they sleep in the
middle of the night.
Health chiefs say more than
40 people have been admitted to
hospital and treated for rabies after
A farmer in the township of
Paramirim named as Edivalson
Francisco Souza, 46, died in March
after he was bitten on the foot by a
It was Brazil’s first case of the deadly
disease being transmitted from a bat
to a human in 13 years.
Souza was reportedly milking a
cow when he stood on a bat and was
bitten. He washed the wound but
avoided seeing a doctor.
Three weeks later he died, after
suffering headaches, shortness of
breath, severe anxiety and nausea. It
was too late for doctors to administer
a life-saving vaccination.
Health authorities issued a public
alert, prompting a flurry of reports of
A resident in Salvador, some
650km, recounted waking up to find
his bed sheets soaked in blood after
being bitten during the night.
Matheus Andrade said he was
terrorised in his sleep by bats with a
taste for blood over two nights.
“I was bitten three times, twice on
my toes and once on my heel, on two
successive nights around the middle
of May,” Andrade, 22, said.
“I didn’t realise until the second
time that I had been attacked by a
“At first I thought I had somehow
cut my toe during the night.
“ I normally sleep with the windows
and doors open and the bats flew in.
I never felt any pain at all on both
the nights I was bitten. But in my
dreams, I did feel as if something had
hooked itself on to my toe.
“ When I woke up in the morning,
I found the bed was wet. It had been
raining overnight and I thought
water had dripped in. But it was my
blood. It was such a shock.”
He is now one of dozens of
Brazilians on a 30-day course of anti-
This latest terrifying spate of
attacks mirrors similar incidents
in 2005, when rapid vampiric
bats began attacking people —
predominantly children — while
Over several weeks a staggering
23 people died and 1300 sought
treatment, New Scientist reported.
To avoid similar pandemonium,
disease control officers have started
a large-scale cull of bats in regions
that have been inundated with new
They have also taken to vaccinating
people’s pets. A public awareness
campaign is now under way.
Councils and funeral directors have
refused to deal with Salman Abedi’s
body as it emerged his corpse is
currently being kept at a morgue outside
Sources have said authorities will do
“e verything in their power” to stop him
being buried, cremated or laid to rest in
The move comes just weeks after
councils across Britain refused to deal
with the remains of the Moors Murderer
Ian Brady, who had wanted his ashes to
be scattered in his home city of Glasgow.
A source told the Manchester Evening
News: “Just like Ian Brady, every effort
is going in to making sure that there
is not a chance Abedi can be buried or
cremated in Greater Manchester. ”
Abedi’s body is believed to be the
property of the coroner.
Inquest hearings will be held in due
course, and any final decision about his
remains will be down to a coroner.
His body has never been kept in the
same place as his 22 victims, the source
told the men.
Abedi’s family cannot receive his body
as his parents Ramadan and Samia as
well as younger brother Hashem, 20, are
His father and younger brother are still
in detention in the country. Detectives
said Hashem had links to ISIS and was
planning to carry out a terror attack in
His elder brother, Ismail, 24, remains
in custody in Manchester.
The revelations come as counter-
terrorism police said last night that
Salman may have acted alone.
In the four days between travelling to
the UK from Libya and carrying out the
atrocity that killed 22 people, he bought
most of the components and built the
bomb by himself, they said.
Police said they could not rule out that
the Libyan was part of a wider network,
but after seven days of investigation
involving 1000 officers and “hundreds”
of witnesses, they concluded that he
mostly acted alone.
This runs counter to the impression
given so far in the investigation, which
has seen 16 arrests.
Last night three suspects, aged 20, 24
and 37, were released without charge.
Officers said a blue suitcase Abedi was
seen with hours before he launched the
attack remains a focus of their inquiry.
It may contain crucial evidence that
could allow forensic experts to piece
together the gaps in his final movements.
Although detectives have no reason
to believe the bag contains anything
dangerous, they are warning the public
not to approach it, and instead call 999
Detective Chief Superintendent
Russ Jackson, head of the North-west
Counter-terrorism Unit, said: “O ur
enquiries show Abedi himself made
most of the purchases of the core
components. Many of his movements
and actions have been carried out alone
during the four days from him landing
in the country and committing this
“It is vital that we make sure that he
is not part of a wider network and we
cannot rule this out yet. There remain a
number of things that concern us.”
Abedi had a “relatively minor” criminal
record as a teenager but was not known
to police for holding extremist views.
He appeared on police logs in 2012
over offences of theft, receiving stolen
goods and assault, Greater Manchester
police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins
However, Abedi had not featured in
Prevent, the Government ’s voluntary
Hopkins also said charges of conspiracy
to murder could be brought as a result
of the huge investigation into Abedi’s
suspected network. — PA
Sewage tanker bomb kills 90
A powerful bomb hidden in a
sewage tanker exploded in the
morning rush hour in the centre
of Kabul early overnight, killing at
least 90 people, wounding hundreds
and damaging embassy buildings
in the Afghani capital’s unofficial
The victims of the explosion at a
busy intersection appeared mainly
to have been Afghani civilians
on their way to work or school,
as well as office workers whose
nearby buildings did not have the
protection of the blast walls that
fortify the zone.
The bomb, one of the deadliest
in Kabul and coming at the start
of the holy month of Ramadan,
exploded close to the entrance to
the German embassy, wounding
some staff, German Foreign
Minister Sigmar Gabriel said.
A huge hole was ripped into the
ground at the site of the explosion,
which tore off the front of the
embassy building and shattered
windows and blew doors off their
hinges in houses hundreds of
One Afghani security guard
was killed and others were likely
among the dead, Gabriel said. A
spokeswoman for the German
foreign ministry said the bomber’s
target was unknown.
“Such attacks do not change
our resolve in continuing to
support the Afghan government
in the stabilisation of the country,”
Basir Mujahid, a spokesman for
the city police, said the explosives
were hidden in a sewage truck. He
also suggested that the German
embassy might not have been the
target of the blast, which sent
towering clouds of black smoke
into the sky near the presidential
“There are several other important
compounds and offices near there
too,” he said.
No group had claimed
responsibility by mid-morning.
The Taliban, seeking to reimpose
Islamic rule after their 2001
ouster by United States-led forces,
denied responsibility and said
they condemned attacks that have
no legitimate target and killed
Islamic State, a smaller militant
group in Afghanistan seeking
to project its claim to a global
Islamic caliphate beyond its
Middle East base, has previously
claimed responsibility for high-
profile attacks in Kabul, including
one on a military hospital in
March which killed more than 50
The Nato-led mission in Kabul
said Afghani security forces
prevented the vehicle carrying the
bomb from entering the Green
Zone, which houses many foreign
embassies as well as its own
headquarters, also suggesting it
may not have reached its intended
A public health official said at
least 90 people had been killed
and more than 400 wounded.
Foreigners were among the
wounded, including 11 US citizens.
An Afghani man at the scene of the deadly blast in Kabul.
A Canberra man is in police custody
after bomb threats were made on board a
Malaysia Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur,
less than 30 minutes after taking off from
Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport.
The mid-air drama occurred 4km out
of Melbourne, when the man left his
seat, claiming to have explosives and
tried to move towards the cockpit.
Flight MH128 was forced to make an
emergency landing late last night “after
the operating captain was alerted by a
cabin crew of a passenger attempting to
enter the cockpit”, the airline said.
The airline stressed that “at no point
was the aircraft ‘hijacked’.”
It has been revealed the man has a
history of mental illness, Victoria police
Superintendent Tony Langdon said.
“ We do not believe this is terrorist-
related at the moment. We are obviously
concerned for the passengers and crew.
“ It would have been a very traumatic
experience for them. We are now
debriefing those people and looking after
Former AFL player Andrew Leoncelli,
who was on board, said the man
screamed: “I’ve got a bomb and I’m going
to f—ing blow the plane up” before flight
attendants and other passengers tackled
and restrained him.
According to a report in Malaysia’s The
Star, Deputy Transport Minister Datuk
Seri Ab Aziz Kaprawi said the disruptive
passenger, thought to be a Sri Lankan
national, was drunk.
The minister said the man was holding
a “power bank”, or phone charger, while
Leoncelli described it as a “giant black
In air traffic control audio posted on-
line, a male voice can be heard saying:
“ We have a passenger trying to enter the
About three minutes later the same male
voice can be heard saying the passenger
was “c laiming to have an explosive
device, tried to enter the cockpit, has
been overpowered by passengers”.
“ However we’d like to land and have
the device checked,” the voice reportedly
The airline said the man was
apprehended by airport security after the
plane landed and was sent to a remote
part of the airport, where Leoncelli said
passengers waited 90 minutes before
police boarded the plane. — AAP
A man has been arrested on
suspicion of murder after the bodies
of a woman and two children were
discovered in the former home of John
Police launched an investigation
after being called to a ground-floor
flat in Falkner Street, Toxteth, on
Tuesday after concern for the safety of
Officers said the investigation was
in its early stages, but believe it is
Neighbours say the property was
regularly visited by Beatles fans
on tours of the city as the band’s
manager Brian Epstein had owned a
flat there, where L ennon lived with
his first wife Cynthia shortly after
One man, who did not want to be
named, said: “ The tourist tours are
always stopping at the house because
John Lennon used to live there.”
He said a family with two young
children had lived in the flat.
He said: “I didn’t know them, I just
knew there was a family living there.
The children were toddler age.”
Police have said they are not looking
for anyone else in connection with the
deaths at this stage.
A 30-year-old man was arrested and
then taken to hospital after falling
ill. — PA
Bodies found in former Lennon home
The police cordon on Falkner Street, Toxteth, after a 30-year-old man was
arrested on suspicion of murder after the bodies of a woman and two children
were found in the house.
Donald Trump is an angry man
who has gained weight and distrusts
those around him.
Trump has also discovered being
President of the United States is not
an easy or natural fit.
According to CNN, the president
distrusts a lot of people around him
and was “ in a pretty glum mood”
when he left for his first foreign trip
earlier this month.
He is far from being happy since his
return to the White House.
One source close to the President
told CNN: “He now lives within
himself, which is a dangerous place
for Donald Trump to be.
“ I see him emotionally withdrawing.
He’s gained weight. He doesn’t have
anybody whom he trusts. ”
The source also said Trump had
reportedly claimed his trip was too
long and that he was not looking
for ward to it.
Trump’s nine-day journey was
packed with engagements in Saudi
Arabia, Israel, Vatican City, Brussels
and Italy and saw him receive a warm
welcome at first.
However, Ivo Daalder, a former US
ambassador to Nato in the Obama
administration, told USA Today the
trip really did not go down well with
“ I think what grates on European
leaders is the sense that he does not
treat them as equals, let alone as
allies,” he said.
“He approaches them in this
confrontational way, in an attempt
to constantly get a better deal out of
Trump has returned to the US as the
controversy over Russian interference
in the 2016 election campaign
continues — with his son-in-law
and senior adviser Jared Kushner
now part of the counter-intelligence
The Kushner investigation comes as
the fallout over the sacking of Federal
Bureau of Investigation director
James Comey continues and sees the
president facing an uphill battle over
health care reforms.
Trump also faces a test of whether
he will now listen to those around
him with the president often
receiving conflicting advice, CNN
“ He only really listens when he’s
down in the dumps,” he said.
The revelations are not the first
insight into how the president is
coping with life inside the White
In February the New York Times
revealed embarrassing descriptions
of Trump inside the White House
during his first two weeks in
office, including him ranting in his
bathrobe and his staffers literally
struggling to turn on the lights in
Trump unleashed and called the
story complete fiction and accused
the paper of waging a fake news war
Based on anonymous accounts from
government officials, congressional
aides and other insiders, the Times
revealed at the time that the president
had a tough couple of early weeks in
the White House.
It also claimed he was not fully
briefed before signing an executive
order elevating his adviser Steve
Bannon to the National Security
Council. — ne ws.com.au
Trump withdrawn, in ‘pretty glum mood’
Jihadis in Philippines rampage
Teenage Islamic fighters are said
to be shooting people dead for
failing to quote the Koran in a
besieged Philippines city.
As 50,000 people fled the city of
Marawi in the south of the country,
some reported the terror they had
young jihadis taking orders from
commanders in their early 20s to
force people to recite verses of the
Islamic scripture, but when they
failed, they would be shot dead to a
chorus of laughter.
Tuesday warned Islamist militants
occupying parts of a southern
city to surrender or die, as attack
helicopters pounded the gunmen’s
strongholds where up to 2000
residents are still feared trapped.
More than 100 people have been
confirmed killed in the conflict,
which began last week when
gunmen waving black flags of the
Islamic State (IS) group rampaged
through the mostly Muslim-
populated city of Marawi.
Tens of thousands managed to flee
and one woman said her decision
to leave was sealed when she
witnessed teenage jihadis laughing
at innocent people being shot.
President Rodrigo Duterte
declared martial law across the
entire southern region of Mindanao,
home to roughly 20 million people,
in response to the crisis as he
warned that local militant groups
were uniting behind Islamic States
and becoming a major security
But the militants, initially
estimated by the nation’s defence
chief to number just 100, have
withstood eight days of intense air
assaults and street-to-street combat,
prompting the government ’s
“ We call on the remaining
terrorists to surrender while
there is an opportunity,” military
Restituto Padilla said in a statement.
surrendering will mean their sure
Padilla also said the surrender call
warning was aimed at limiting the
loss of more lives and property.
The militants took a priest and
up to 14 other people hostage at
the start of the crisis, and their fate
The militants released a video in
which they threatened to kill the
hostages, according to a report by
the SITE Intelligence Group on
Monday that could not be verified.
The gunmen were being backed
by foreign fighters, including those
from Malaysia, Indonesia and
Singapore, authorities said.
The militants had killed at least
19 civilians, while 20 security forces
and 65 gunmen had died, according
to the military.
The death toll looked likely to
climb, with soldiers reporting the
smell of corpses in a public market
still being held by the militants.
The violence began when dozens
of gunmen went on a rampage in
response to an attempt by security
forces to arrest Isnilon Hapilon, a
veteran Filipino militant regarded
as the local leader of Islamic State.
Doctor gets 15 years
for needless breast
A British breast surgeon who carried
out unnecessary operations on 10
patients for personal gain was sentenced
to 15 years in prison, a court heard
In his private practice, Ian Paterson
lied to exaggerate risks that patients
would develop breast cancer, performing
needless surgery and in some cases
mastectomies for which patients paid,
judge Jeremy Baker said.
“The physical, and particularly,
psychological effect upon each of them,
has been profound,” the judge told the
Nottingham Crown Court.
The trial had heard that patients
trusted the doctor who was charming
and reassuring, but were later left feeling
violated and vulnerable, with some
having suffered prolonged psychological
The 59-year-old surgeon’s motives
were not clear, the judge said, but he
had shown a “complete lack of remorse”
during the trial.
“I have no doubt that in pursuit of
your own self-aggrandisement and the
material rewards which it brought from
your private practice, you lost sight
of the fact that you were carrying out
significant surgical procedures,” Baker
“ Without any regard for the long-
term effects which it had on them, you
deliberately played upon their worst
fears,” he said.
Speaking after the sentencing, Patricia
Welch, one of Paterson’s victims, said
she felt justice had been done but called
for an inquiry so that patients had full
protection when seeking private medical
“ We will never know the real reason
he has acted in such an evil way,” she
said outside the court. “It will never go
away because you just see it in the mirror
every morning.” — Reuters
Links Archive May 31st 2017 June 2nd 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page