Home' Greymouth Star : June 7th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, June 7, 2017 - 7
An Auckland man jailed for
distributing terrorist material
to 52 people has had his second
appeal over the length of his
sentence dismissed by the Court
Imran Patel was sentenced
to three years and nine months
in June 2016 for distributing
footage of people being shot,
beheaded and burned alive.
However, the Court of Appeal
has also dismissed his appeal
of the sentence and said his
criminal record “reinforced the
need for the sentence imposed to
serve the purposes of deterrence
Justice Helen Winkelmann, in
her judgment, said Patel “posed
a threat to the community’’
and that a starting point of five
available for this type of serious
Patel applied to the Court of
Appeal to have the length of
his sentence reduced because an
uplift of previous convictions was
too great and his end sentence
was “manifestly excessive’’.
He had already had his appeal
over his sentence to the High
Patel pleaded guilty to four
charges under the Films, Videos,
and Publications Classification
Act 1993 of making, possessing
and distributing objectionable
These charges usually relate to
child pornography and Patel was
understood to be the first person
in the country to be sentenced
The Mt Roskill man was
charged for activity which
involved sending text messages
to 52 people with a link to an
Isis-made video in 2015.
The montage showed 14
prisoners lined up before two
men shot them in the head one
Despite being warned by his
mobile phone network about
the content he was sending, he
sent a similar video the next day
showing people being beheaded
by masked men.
He was warned again by his
network provider and later
barred from sending messages.
Patel acquired a new number
from a different provider and
sent texts to the same people
again telling the non-believers
to “behave like muslims’’.
A police search in December
2015, uncovered 62 objectionable
files on Patel’s laptop.
Patel had earlier been jailed
for 10 months for intimidating
behaviour, threatening to kill
and assault with a weapon.
for terrorist material
A Glen Innes resident who has been
fighting eviction from her home of more than
two decades will take her battle to the High
In a decision out yesterday, an Auckland
District Court judge has ruled against
62-year-old Ioela (Niki) Rauti and upheld an
earlier Tenancy Tribunal decision to have her
But Rauti and her supporters are vowing to
keep up the fight, with an appeal to the High
Rauti has released a statement, saying
yesterday ’s decision was just the beginning,
and “only a setback”.
“I don’t want to be transient, I am fighting
the privatisation of State housing for the poor,
sick, elderly and vulnerable.”
In February the tribunal granted a
possession order of the former State house
Rauti has called home for 21 years to a
housing development company.
Following the court’s decision yesterday, 30
of her supporters have gathered outside the
house at 14 Taniwha Street.
Lisa Gibson, one of Rauti’s supporters,
spoke on her behalf.
“She’s obviously not very happy about the
Gibson said despite the ruling Rauti and
those who had her back would be staying put
“for as long as it takes”.
“Niki is in her house, her supporters are
outside at her house. All are sitting there
Last month Rauti was in court seeking
appeal against the decision that gave
possession of the Taniwha Street house to the
Tamaki Regeneration Company.
It is one of 2800 state houses TRC has
pinpointed to be replaced with thousands of
new homes over the coming years.
The company wants the house and her land
for redevelopment but Rauti has so far refused
to leave, despite orders to do so and offers of
alternative houses nearby.
The house was leased to Rauti in 1999 after
the death of her mother, who had lived there
since the 1980s.
She said alternative homes offered were not
suitable for her needs — they were too damp
or the two-storeyed homes were too difficult
for her to access.
She has been fighting TRC since it took
ownership of her house, along with 2700
other houses in the area, from Housing New
Zealand last year.
Rauti planned to lodge an appeal with the
TRC general manager Neil Porteous said
now a decision had been made the company
would be working with the “relevant
authorities to gain legal possession of the
He acknowledged it was a difficult
time for Rauti but said the company had
been transparent with its plans and its
communications with her.
“ We would still welcome the chance to
talk to Ms Rauti about her specific housing
needs,” he said.
“ We would also like to show her the
property we have available for her which is
approximately 500m away from her current
home.” — New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Ioela (Niki) Rauti outside her Glen Innes home.
Tenant takes eviction fight to High Cour t
The search for a man missing
after he fell from a party boat
on Waitemata Harbour has been
Mangere man Tevita Kava
hasn’t been seen since he fell
while celebrating his friend’s
30th birthday aboard a Red
Boats charter vessel with 50
others on Saturday evening.
Police announced in a press
release this morning that the
search for the 29-year-old has
“O ver the last two days a land
and water search was undertaken
utilising the Police Maritime
Unit, Eagle helicopter, land SAR,
Coastguard and harbourmaster.
“The police dive squad was
called in on Saturday afternoon
and the navy assisted police on
“A significant area has been
searched but unfortunately with
no success. ’’
Kava’s family have been told
of the decision to suspend the
Paul Tuvae, who was on the
boat, said yesterday that Kava
went to the back of the boat
to check on men cooking on a
As they were talking, he leaned
against a barrier. It released and
Kava fell backwards into the
freezing, pitch-black water.
The barrier, when unlocked,
“It was a bit rough and the boat
was moving pretty fast. The fact
that he can’t swim, he wouldn’t
have been able to float long
Friends who witnessed him fall
were not confident swimmers
either, and it took time for the
skipper to be alerted and turn the
boat around, Tuvae said.
Red Boats owner Andrew
Somers said the ramp was not
broken and staff had since tested
Kava was in an area at the rear
of the vessel which was off limits
to patrons, Somers said.
Only one person was meant
to be in that area for the
“The ramp is locked and tied in
place. I’m unsure as to how it was
unlocked and untied.’’
Red Boats had cancelled all
charters for the company ’s fleet
until it was established what
Somers said the company had
owned the boat for 20 years and
never had an issue with the ramp.
He was confident his staff
followed the correct man-
overboard procedure. They did
regular drills and had just done
one that afternoon.
Red Boats provided lifejackets
but people were only told to wear
them in an emergency situation,
“ We are devastated ... we ’re
working with the authorities to
establish what has happened.
The ramp’s bolt is still in working
order. I’m unsure why it was let
down like that.’’
Elim Leadership College chief
executive Darryl Booth said
students and staff at the college
where Kava had completed the
one-year diploma in Christian
ministries last year
saddened by the news.
He said Kava was a “ lovely,
really genuine guy ’’ who would
do anything for anyone.
Work Safe NZ has been
notified of the incident.
Search for party boat man suspended
A ‘monster’ turkey is roaming
the streets of St Clair and
chasing people at a popular
South Dunedin walking spot.
St Clair, said he first encountered
the turkey when he was running
up the Jacobs Ladder steps about
a month ago.
“He jumped out at me and
chased me in the dark.
“I didn’t know what it was.
“It was huge though so I
initially thought it was a dog.’’
Two weeks later the bird was in
“I just pulled up in my car
and when I got out I dropped
everything and ran because he
was going to go at me.’’
He had named the bird “Elliot ’’
because “he looks like an Elliot ’’.
The bird had been spotted in
Aberdeen Road, Earls Road,
Lock Street, Jacobs Ladder, Valpy
Street and Norfolk Street in
St Clair, as well as in neighbouring
Conrad Stedman said he was
also chased by the turkey on
Attempts to catch the bird had
The bird did not come
under Dunedin City Council
environmental health and animal
ser vices control.
Otago SPCA executive officer
Sophie McSkimming said the
organisation would inter vene if
the bird became sick or injured.
— Otago Daily Times
‘Monster’ turkey terrorising Dunedin streets
The cash-strapped Auckland Council
has little interest in a commuter
rail ser vice between Hamilton and
The Waikato Regional Council
provided a paper on the issue to
Auckland councillors, who supported
the idea in principle but said it is a low
priority, particularly given the growth
challenges facing the region.
Mayor Phil Goff said at the weekend
the funding shortfall for transport
over the next decade has risen from
$4 billion to $7 billion.
Labour MP Sue Moroney and
Hamilton deputy mayor Martin
Gallagher are among those pushing
for a commuter ser vice between the
“Anyone with a half a brain would
know that if you have a city 100km
away, with two million plus and a
greater Hamilton of 200,000-plus, go
figure,’’ Gallagher said in March.
At yesterday’s Auckland Council
the Waikato Regional Council
presentation identified significant
With previous work being out of date,
the committee agreed to participate in
the preparation of a high-level review
to identify the key constraints, benefits
and options of a passenger rail ser vice
between Auckland and Hamilton.
It also recognised that existing issues
can not be resolved without significant
Auckland councillor Daniel Newman
said the idea was ludicrous and
He said it was essential that the
Auckland and Waikato regions
respectively declare what each can and
can not afford to fund.
“Auckland already faces billion-
dollar deficits and we still have not
got electrification to Pukekohe; we
don’t have rail to Huapai and Kumeu;
we don’t have Penlink and we are still
waiting to get the Mill Road corridor
— NZ ME -New Zealand Herald
Specials available South Island only, price valid until Sunday 11 June 2017 or while stocks last. Trade not supplied. Due to current
Licensing Trust laws, liquor not available at Elles Road, Windsor & Gore. Specials may not be available at all stores. Club Deals are
only available to Clubcard Members at New World South Island stores when they scan their Clubcard at the time of purchase.
Peas, Lentils, Salad
Beans or Flavoured
excludes In Sauce
3 Pack, excludes Organic
Rapaura Springs &
Huggies Bulk Ultra-
Dry Nappies 32-54s,
Pants 26-31s or
Baby Wipes 384s
Fresh Quality Mark
Plain or Crumbed
Citrus or Tui 330ml
12 Pack Bottles
Links Archive June 6th 2017 June 8th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page