Home' Greymouth Star : July 19th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Wednesday, July 19, 2017
The frozen bodies of a Swiss
couple who went missing 75 years
ago in the Alps have been found
on a shrinking glacier, Swiss media
Marcelin and Francine Dumoulin,
the parents of seven children,
had gone to milk their cows in a
meadow above Chandolin in the
Valais canton on August 15, 1942.
“ We spent our whole lives looking
for them, without stopping. We
thought that we could give them
the funeral they deser ved one day,”
their youngest daughter Marceline
Udry-Dumoulin told the Lausanne
daily Le Matin.
“I can say that after 75 years of
waiting this news gives me a deep
sense of calm,” the 79-year-old
In an overnight statement, Valais
cantonal police said that two bodies
bearing identity papers had been
discovered last week by a worker
on Tsanfleuron glacier near a ski
lift above Les Diablerets resort at
an altitude of 2615m. DNA testing
would be carried out to confirm the
identities of the couple.
“The bodies were lying near each
other. It was a man and a woman
wearing clothing dating from
the period of World War Two,”
Bernhard Tschannen, director of
Glacier 3000, told the paper. “ They
were perfectly preser ved in the
glacier and their belongings were
“ We think they may have fallen
into a crevasse where they stayed
for decades. As the glacier receded,
it gave up their bodies,” he told the
daily Tribune de Geneve.
Marcelin Dumoulin, 40, was a
shoemaker, while Francine, 37, was
a teacher. They left five sons and
“It was the first time my mother
went with him on such an
excursion. She was always pregnant
and couldn’t climb in the difficult
conditions of a glacier,” Udry-
Dumoulin said. “After a while, we
children were separated and placed
in families. I was lucky to stay with
my aunt,” she said.
“ We all lived in the region but
“For the funeral, I won’t wear
black. I think that white would
be more appropriate. It represents
hope, which I never lost.” — AP
Melting glacier yields bodies 75 years on
The mummified remains of a Swiss couple who went missing 75 years ago and who were found in a glacier in the Diablerets mountains.
A Saudi woman has been arrested for
a video that was widely shared on-line
which showed her strolling along an
empty street wearing a skirt and crop
top, Saudi State television channel
Ekhbariya reported overnight.
The clip had incensed some social
media users in the conser vative
Muslim kingdom who vented their
anger using the hashtag “Model
Khulood must be tried” — a reference
to what they said was the woman’s
Many of those critics shared images
of the video with her bare legs and
midriff blurred out or painted over.
Saudi Arabian news outlets have
even taken to pixelating out the
woman’s bare flesh.
Others offered their support for the
woman, suggesting her behavior was
brave and that prominent foreigners
sometimes dress similarly when
visiting Saudi Arabia, and they are
exempted from the country’s dress
codes. Many of them pointed out that
Melania Trump and Ivanka Trump
did not wear abayas when they visited
the country in May, to little public
In the video, the unidentified
woman walks alone through a an
ancient fort flanked by mudbrick
walls, in what users identified as
Ushaiqir, a heritage village and day-
trip destination outside the capital
“ Riyadh police have detained the
woman who appeared in indecent
clothing in Ushaiqir and referred her
to the public prosecutor,” Ekhbariya
said on its official Twitter account,
including the popular hashtag.
Home to Islam’s holy cities of
Mecca and Medina, the kingdom
cleaves to a strict interpretation of
Islam and requires Saudi women
to wear conser vative dress and bans
them from driving.
“Saudi Arabia’s continuing obsession
with policing women’s clothing
choices shows authorities haven’t
moved on from the paternalistic
and discriminatory mind-set that
hampers women’s lives,” said Sarah
Leah Whitson, executive director
of Human Rights Watch’s Middle
East and North Africa Division.
“Saudi Arabia’s purported plans to
reshape society and advance women’s
rights will never succeed as long as
authorities go after women for what
they wear.” — Reuters
Saudi police arrest woman for skirt video
A uranium miner says uncertainty over
the future of an outback town near the
Northern Territory’s Kakadu National
Park as the company prepares to pull out
has placed residents in limbo.
Jabiru town was built for the Ranger
mine which has been operating for more
than three decades, but Aboriginal land
owners have refused to back the renewal
of its mining authority beyond 2021.
A report commissioned by Rio Tinto’s
Energy Resources of Australia shows
the removal of critical infrastructure
including electricity and water supply
from the 1100-strong town could lead to
the displacement of residents and severe
It may also reduce health and education
ser vices, and result in the closure of the
airport, which would affect tourism.
The report found residents and business
owners were already suffering anxiety
over an inability to plan and make
decisions about their lives.
ERA estimates it will cost $507
million to clean up and rehabilitate the
site, which must be reintegrated into
the surrounding World Heritage-listed
national park by 2026.
“There is still uncertainty about the
future and while there may be a widely
held view that Jabiru can have a future
beyond 2021, it is not yet known what
that might look like, what changes may
take place or when,” ERA chief executive
Andrea Sutton said.
ERA is not developing a road map for
Jabiru beyond the lease expiration when
production stops, which is expected to
cost 350 jobs.
Traditional owners are in talks with the
commonwealth and NT governments
over a future plan, while negotiations
over a new township lease are under way.
Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation,
which acts for the Mirarr traditional
owners, outlined the environmental and
cultural concerns behind the decision to
“ You have Australia’s largest national
park, indigenous communities living
downstream from the mine and a very
sensitive ecosystem around it,” chief
executive Justin O’Brien said.
He said Jabiru was the gateway to
Kakadu and should continue to function
without the mine as a tourism hub and
regional ser vices centre.
O’Brien warned that if the NT
government did not urgently commit to
the town’s future it would effectively be
“ We’ve seen a steady erosion of the
amenity of the town, and it’s a self-
perpetuating down spiral; the more
people who leave, the worse it gets, the
more people leave,” he said.
“The opportunities for certain business
to expand or even exist have been lost,
and it ’s been over 14 years since we
first wrote to both tiers of government
bringing these issues up.” — AAP
A still from the video that has caused such a stir.
A Japanese doctor who saw patients
until just months before his death has
died at the age of 105.
Shigeaki Hinohara was for decades
the director and public face of
St Luke’s International Hospital
in the capital Tokyo. It was so well
known as an “international” hospital
that it treated luminaries such as Paul
McCartney when he fell ill during a
2014 Japanese tour, the Daily Mail
Hinohara is credited with helping
to set up the medical systems that
have made Japan one of the world’s
He was born in 1911, a year before
the Titanic sank, and was working
at St Luke’s as early as 1945, when
he treated victims of the World War
Two Tokyo firebombing that left vast
swathes of the city in ruins.
“ From the start of this year his
health wasn’t so good, but until then
he’d drop into the hospital every so
often to conduct exams and talk with
patients,” a hospital spokeswoman
In 1954, Hinohara introduced
Japan’s “human dry-dock” system of
comprehensive annual physical exams,
which was part of the preventive
medical system and said to contribute
to Japan’s longevity.
Hinohara was an early advocate for
healthier living and released 75 books
on ways to stave off the ills of ageing.
One book became bestseller on living
well which he wrote at the age of
101. He was also a popular guest on
He once described a lifestyle that
included orange juice with olive oil for
breakfast and said that energy comes
from feeling good, not fixed rules
“ We all remember how as children,
when we were having fun, we often
forgot to eat or sleep,” he was quoted
as saying. “ I believe we can keep that
attitude as adults — it’s best not to
tire the body with too many rules such
as lunchtime and bedtime. ” — DPA
Doctor worked until months before death at 105
Shigeaki Hinohara was for decades the director and public face of St Luke’s
International Hospital in the capital Tokyo.
The mystery of why a United States
police officer shot dead Australian
bride-to-be Justine Damond in her
pyjamas in an alley could be explained
by the possible setting off of fireworks in
the Minneapolis suburb at the time she
was gunned down.
A source with knowledge of
Minneapolis law enforcement, who
asked not to be identified, said overnight
it “would be good common sense to
investigate” the fireworks link.
The sound of fireworks may have
startled officer Mohamed Noor, the
policeman who fired the fatal bullet.
The reference to fireworks is heard
during the police radio conversations
between officer Noor, his partner officer
Matthew Harrity, the police dispatcher
co-ordinating the emergency call and
other officers rushing to scene.
At one point the dispatcher asks for
a precinct sergeant to acknowledge a
report of “two shots heard from the east ”.
“ We heard those sounds from the
station,” an officer responds.
“Those are probably aerial fireworks.”
Damond’s heartbroken fiance, Don
Damond, spoke out yesterday criticising
law enforcement for failing to offer
details on why officer Noor shot the
Damond, a spiritual healer and life
coach originally from Sydney ’s northern
beaches, called police at 11.28pm on
Saturday when she heard a woman’s
screams near her Minneapolis house.
She feared a sexual assault was taking
When Damond, believed to be holding
a cellphone, approached officer Noor’s
squad car in her pyjamas he shot her in
Department of Public Safety Bureau
of Criminal Apprehension, not the
Minneapolis Police Department, is
investigating the shooting and has
released few details.
Officers Noor and Harrity, both new to
the police force, had their body cameras
switched off during the incident.
“I don’t know what the answers are,”
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges, who
also has received little information about
the police investigation, said overnight.
“That ’s the trade-off of an independent
“ We aren’t in charge of it.
“I know the BCA is doing the best they
can and moving as swiftly as they can.
hope they release as much
information as they can as swiftly as they
Hodges, who fought to force
Minneapolis police to wear body
cameras after several previous high-
profile incidents in the city, said the
failure to have them switched on was one
of the key questions of the investigation.
A Mediterranean-style diet rich in
oily fish, fresh vegetables and nuts
could help cut the risk of dementia.
New studies presented
International Conference in London
examined links between diet and
dementia and found following a
nutrient- rich diet helps keep the
In a study on almost 6000 people
led by the University of California,
scientists found those who stuck
closest to a Mediterranean or similar
diet over a year were 30-35% less
likely to have low scores on cognitive
tests than those who did not.
This was even after taking into
account factors such as smoking,
exercise, overall health and socio-
Co-author Claire McEvoy said the
benefits of healthy eating seem to
exist on a sliding scale.
“ Even moderate adherence to
these high-quality dietary patterns
showed a protective association with
cognitive function,” she said.
Dr Maria Carrillo, chief science
Association, said the study showed
changing your dietary pattern “really
is quite impactful”.
She said: “ You can change your
trajectory of cognitive decline if
you are adherent, for example, to
Mediterranean diets or other diets
low in saturated fats, low in processed
flour and processed sugar.
“Good fats are important. Fats
found in fish and good meats, as
opposed to red meats, are all very
good for your brain.”
Another study from Columbia
University had shown poor nutrition
may increase inflammation in the
body and lead to brain shrinkage.
“ People that perhaps eat a lot of junk
food and processed foods may end up
having less brain cognition over time
as they age and may actually have
A Mediterranean diet includes
vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, fish, olive
oil and whole grains, while being low
in red and processed meat and with
alcohol kept to a minimum.
People considered to get maximum
benefit from the diet have less than
one alcoholic drink a day for women,
or one to two for men.
They also eat several ser vings of fruit
and vegetables per day, one ser ving of
wholegrains and up to four ser vings
of fish per week.
Another study on more than 2200
older adults, from the Karolinska
Institute in Sweden, found people
who stuck to a Nordic diet that
consists of non-root vegetables, fruit,
fish and poultry enjoyed a better
cognitive status than those who ate a
less healthy diet.
And another study on more than
7000 people in the US found older
women who ate diets traditionally
thought of as heart-healthy, such as
a Mediterranean diet, were less likely
to develop dementia. — PA
Mediterranean diet may cut dementia risk
Abuse victims say choir school like hell
Teachers at one of Germany ’s
most famous Catholic choir schools
physically or sexually abused 547
pupils between 1945 and 2015,
an independent report found
overnight, with some boys likening
the institution to a concentration
The 440-page report chronicles
teachers doling out physical
violence including slapping boys
in the face so hard that the marks
could be seen the next day, whipping
them with wooden sticks and violin
bows and subjecting them to severe
Boys who tried to escape the
“ Regensburger Domspatzen”, or
Regensburg Cathedral Sparrows,
were hauled back into the school
and beaten and humiliated in front
of other boys, it said.
Allegations of abuse at the
school, which dates back over 1000
years and now tours the world to
perform choral music, surfaced in
investigation, the diocese, which
acknowledged overnight it had
“made mistakes”, commissioned
lawyer Ulrich Weber in 2015 to put
together the independent report.
Former Pope Benedict ’s brother,
Georg Ratzinger, 93, led the
choir from 1964 to 1994. He
acknowledged in 2010 that he had
slapped pupils in the face but said
he had not realised how brutal the
Weber said he was “to be blamed
especially for turning a blind
eye and not inter vening despite
having knowledge”, adding the
investigation did not show he
was aware of sexual abuse. Several
testimonies said he was generally
It was not possible to contact
Ratzinger for a comment.
Weber said the system was
focused on achieving musical
excellence choral success and to
that end, a high degree of discipline
was commonplace. That provided a
basis for violence.
He found that a total of 547
former pupils had probably been
victims of physical and/or sexual
violence. Of those, some 67 suffered
He blamed 49 individuals, 45 of
whom were physically violent and
nine of whom were believed to have
committed sexual violence.
“ Victims . . . described the
institution as a prison, hell and a
concentration camp,” Weber told a
“ Many of them called the time
there as the worst of their lives
which was marked by violence, fear
and helplessness. ”
physical abuse in Catholic schools
in Germany, in particular in the
former Pope’s native Bavaria, have
shaken the Church and abuse
scandals have also rocked it in the
United States, Austria and Ireland.
Choir school victims, many of
whom implored their parents to let
them come home, said they were
“These are not 547 cases where an
individual was affected once. Rather,
this was an ongoing practice over
decades where 547 children were
tormented, abused, mistreated and
socially harmed,” former choir boy
and abuse victim Alexander Probst
told Reuters Television.
“They are severely traumatised
to this very day. This upsets me. I
thought I had got over it after a
seven-year battle but in fact this
greatly upset me today. ”
The Diocese of Regensburg
acknowledged its past mistakes
and said it wanted to find out what
happened and deal with it.
“ We all made mistakes and have
learned a lot. We see today that we
could have done things better and
sooner,” Michael Fuchs, General
Vicar of Regensburg Diocese said.
Shark good sign for
A 150kg mako shark hooked by a
fisherman in a Sydney river proves the
harbour and its rivers are in good health,
a marine expert says.
Many were surprised when angler
Patrick Melograna and his mates caught
the 2m mako when fishing on the
Parramatta River near the Gladesville
Bridge on the weekend.
The species usually inhabits open ocean
rather than river waters.
“The moment one of the boys picked
up the rod, they knew it was something
big,” Melograna told the Seven Network.
“ To see something this big come out
of Parramatta River — we were blown
Some people hypothesised the animal
was sick and disoriented, but Macquarie
University marine predator expert
Professor Rob Harcourt believed the
shark probably followed prey through
Sydney Harbour and into the river.
“I don’t think it was sick. It was in a
clean water way with lots of food,” he
“It was clearly still feeding when it was
Harcourt says mako sharks feed on
squid and fish in the open ocean during
summer, but during winter come closer
to the coast in search of mullet.
The mako’s presence shows the harbour
and river system are healthy enough to
sustain large amounts of fish, Harcourt
“It’s salt water, it ’s full of fish, plenty of
bream — that ’s why people fish in it,”
“It’s a good sign for the harbour. It ’s
unusual, but not amazingly strange.”
Makos might be “unusual” but bull
sharks are common in the river.
“ We get bull sharks right through the
summer,” Harcourt said.
“There are a lot of them — and they ’re
a big shark.”
Melograna initially thought he had
snared a bull shark. — AAP
Police body cameras switched off
Links Archive July 18th 2017 July 20th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page