Home' Greymouth Star : August 4th 2017 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Friday, August 4, 2017
Danish Queen’s husband refuses to share her grave
Prince Henrik of Denmark
announced overnight he does not wish
to be buried next to his wife, Q ueen
Margrethe of Denmark, saying he is
unhappy he was never acknowledged
as her equal.
Queen Margrethe in 1967, was
later named the Q ueen’s Prince
Consort, but has repeatedly said he
would have liked to be named King
“It is no secret that the prince for
many years has been unhappy with
his role and the title he has been
awarded in the Danish monarchy.
“This discontent has grown more
and more in recent years,” the
Royal Danish House’s director of
communications told tabloid BT.
The royal house confirmed the
“ For the prince, the decision not
to be buried beside the queen is the
natural consequence of not having
been treated equally to his spouse —
by not having the title and role he has
desired,” she added.
Prince Henrik retired
year and renounced his title of
prince consort. Since then he has
participated in very few official
duties and instead spent much of
his time at his private vineyard in
France, although he is still married
to the queen and they officially live
In Denmark, a princess traditionally
becomes queen, when her husband
takes the throne.
It had been expected that the
prince would be buried next to the
queen, 77, who is to be interred
in the Roskilde Cathedral in a
sarcophagus made by Danish artist
Born Henri Marie Jean Andre de
Laborde de Monpezat in France in
1934, Henrik has two sons with the
queen, Crown Prince Frederik and
Prince Joachim. — Reuters
The actor who played Luke on the 1980s
television show The Dukes of Hazzard
has been charged in Massachusetts with
groping a female member of the cast of
a musical he was supposed to appear in.
Tom Wopat pleaded not guilty
overnight to indecent assault and battery
and drug charges.
He was released on $US1000 ($1342)
bail and told to stay away from the
woman. He refused to comment outside
Waltham police arrested the 65-year-
old Wopat about 11pm on Wednesday.
Police say during a search of his vehicle
they found a white powder believed to
Wopat was supposed to play Julian
Marsh in 42nd Street at the Waltham-
based Reagle Music Theatre of Greater
Boston, but the theatre announced
overnight a different actor would play
the role. — AP
Dukes of Hazzard
PICTURE: Getty Images
Prince Henrik and Queen Margrethe during her 77th birthday
celebrations in April.
Switzerland has inaugurated the
world’s longest suspension foot
bridge along a trail toward the
famed Matterhorn that features
majestic Alpine views.
A Swiss tourism official said the
494m bridge can cut hiking time on
the Europaweg trail by at least three
hours between the south-western
towns of Graechen and Zermatt.
Before Saturday ’s opening, Alpine
explorers had to descend into the
town of Randa and scale another
ascent since a shorter bridge was
closed in 2010 due to unstable terrain.
Only 65cm wide, the bridge soars
as high as 85m above the ground,
traversing over the deepest-cut
valley in Switzerland. Swiss
media said the structure surpasses
Germany’s 459m Titan-RT as the
world’s longest suspension bridge.
Swiss open new foot bridge near Matterhorn
Producers of a new documentary about
Princess Diana say it offers insight.
Critics say it is nothing but exploitation.
A former bodyguard says Diana would
have been pleased that candid recordings
of her are being broadcast in Britain for
the first time.
Friends of the late princess have
slammed a British broadcaster’s decision
to air private recordings in which she
speaks frankly about her unhappy
marriage to Prince Charles, commenting
on their sex life, her fury at her husband’s
mistress, and her love for another man.
Yet Ken Wharfe, Diana’s protection
officer between 1986 and 1993, says
the princess, who died in 1997, would
appreciate the chance to be heard.
“S he would love it,” Wharfe said in
an inter view yesterday. “She would say,
‘For the first time, people are actually
listening to and hearing what I am
Wharfe also ser ves as a commentator
in the documentary.
Diana was a huge star in her lifetime
at once princess, style leader, charity
worker and tabloid celebrity — and has
rarely been out of the news since her
shocking death in a Paris car crash 20
years ago this month. But she has usually
been seen through the eyes and words of
Diana: In Her Own Words, which
airs on Sunday in Britain on Channel
4, includes portions of recordings made
by Diana’s voice coach Peter Settelen
in 1992 and 1993, just after Diana and
They divorced in 1996, and Charles
married his longtime paramour Camilla
Parker Bowles in 2005.
Portions of the tapes were broadcast by
United States network NBC in 2004 but
they have not been shown in Britain.
The tapes were made to help Diana
practice public speaking as she struck out
on her own in a career devoted to charity
work. On camera, she seems relaxed and
keen to tell her side of the story.
She recounts Charles’s awkward
attempts to woo her — “ He chatted me
up like a bad rash” — and says of the
couple’s sex life: “Once every three weeks
and then it fizzled out.”
Diana discusses her battle with bulimia,
saying: “I didn’t think I was good enough
for this family, so I took it out on myself.”
Diana also talks about falling “deeply
in love” in the 1980s with her bodyguard
Barry Mannakee, who later died in a
“That was the biggest blow in my life,”
She also describes confronting her
husband and Parker Bowles at a party —
a moment that Wharfe said marked “the
real beginning of the end” of the royal
“She realised there was no chance of
reconciliation,” he said. “ There was only
one direction and that was divorce.”
The intimacy of the conversations has
drawn criticism from some people close
to Diana. Her friend Rosa Monckton
said the material “doesn’t belong in the
“It is a betrayal of her privacy and of the
family’s privacy,” she told The Guardian
The office of Diana’s sons, Prince
William and Prince Harry, has declined
to comment on the programme.
Channel 4 said the tapes are “important
historical source” and the subjects
covered “a matter of public record”.
The videotapes have had a twisting
journey to public view. They were seized
by British police during a 2001 raid on
the home of Diana’s former butler, Paul
Burrell, who was accused of stealing
from the princess.
The case against Burrell was later
abandoned. Diana’s family made a legal
claim to the recordings but they were
eventually returned to Settelen.
Wharfe — who has a book coming
out next week on his time with the
princess — says the documentary is a
valuable reminder of Diana’s role in “the
reshaping of the monarchy”.
Her death unleashed a public
outpouring of grief in Britain and
around the world. The royal family,
whose stoic reser ve suddenly seemed
out of touch, has since softened its stiff
William and Harry have both
campaigned for more open discussion of
mental health, and have spoken of their
own struggles after their mother’s death
when they were just 15 and 12.
“They are picking up exactly where
their mother left off,” Wharfe said. “In
my view, the Queen — to this day —
and other members of the royal family
have a lot to thank Diana for.” — AP
The infamous January 28 phone
call between United States President
Donald Trump, just days after his
inauguration, and Australian Prime
Minister Malcolm Turnbull began
They chatted about a mutual
acquaintance, Australian golf great
“I guess our friend Greg Norman,
he is doing very well?” Trump asked.
“He is a great mutual friend, yes,”
The pleasantries, however, soon
evaporated as Turnbull firmly pushed
Trump to accept the Nauru-Manus
Island refugee deal Australia struck
in 2016 with then-president Barack
The full transcript of the call was
leaked to the Washington Post and
Trump told Turnbull the refugee
deal was “a horrible deal, a disgusting
deal”, would make him look like a
“dope” and “a weak and ineffective
leader”, and he feared the refugees
would turn into terrorists who would
pull off San Bernardino or World
Trade Centre-style terror attacks.
Turnbull, with plenty of political
stock invested in getting the deal
done, pushed Trump.
“I am asking you as a very good
friend,” Turnbull said. “ This is a big
“It is really, really important to us
that we maintain it.”
Turnbull explained the deal was
for 1250 to 2000 refugees, but added
Trump in the end, after vetting,
would not have to take any refugees.
“ You can decide to take 1000 or 100.
It is entirely up to you,” Turnbull said.
“The obligation is to only go through
the process. ”
Turnbull also said: “I say this to you
sincerely that it is in the mutual interest
of the US to say, ‘Yes, we can conform
with that deal — we are not obliged to
take anybody we do not want, we will
go through extreme vetting’ and that
way you are seen to show the respect
that a trusted ally wants and deser ves”.
Trump said the deal “is going to kill
me” and “makes me look so bad”.
“ I am the world’s greatest person
that does not want to let people into
the country. And now I am agreeing
to take 2000 people and I agree I can
vet them, but that puts me in a bad
position,” Trump said.
Trump ended the call early, just 24
minutes into the 60 minutes allotted.
The call was Trump’s last of
numerous calls with world leaders on
January 28, including with Russian
President Vladimir Putin.
“As far as I am concerned, that
is enough Malcolm,” Trump said,
ending the call.
“I have had it.
“I have been making these calls all
day and this is the most unpleasant
call all day.
“Putin was a pleasant call.
“This is ridiculous.”
Turnbull then asked: “Do you want
to talk about Syria and DPRK?”
Trump responded: “ This is crazy.”
Turnbull: “ Thank you for your
commitment. It is very important to
Trump fired back: “It is important
to you and it is embarrassing to me.
It is an embarrassment to me, but at
least I got you off the hook. So you
put me back on the hook.”
Turnbull replied: “ You can count on
me. I will be there again and again.”
I have had it, Trump told Turnbull
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
A residential tower which home to
hundreds of expats in Dubai’s famous
Marina caught fire early today.
Flames were seen limbing up the
79-storey Torch Tower, a residential
building in the United Arab Emirates
tourism hot spot. It was once the tallest
residential building in the world and
stands at more than 335m tall.
Burning debris could be seen spiralling
down to the ground below as firefighters
desperately attempt to tackle the blaze.
Dubai Media Office confirmed that
everyone had been evacuated succesfully.
Firefighting squads from four civil
defence stations were deployed to bring
the fire under control.
The same skyscraper was devastated by
fire in 2015 and the flammable cladding
was blamed in part for the blaze.
The latest blaze started on the 30th
floor and had now reached the roof of the
79-storey residential building. —DPA
Huge fire in
British trio given
20 years for terror plot
Three British men convicted of
planning a knife and bomb attack on
troops or police inspired by Islamic
extremism have been sentenced to at
least 20 years in prison.
An accomplice received a minimum
Naweed Ali, Khobaib Hussain,
Mohibur Rahman and Tahir Aziz were
convicted in a London court yesterday of
preparing terrorist acts after a trial that
was partly held in secret for national
Ali, Hussain and Rahman met while
ser ving prison terms for terrorism
offences, and later set up a group called
the Three Musketeers on a messaging
The men were arrested in August 2016
after weapons were found in Ali’s car,
including a partial pipe bomb and a
meat cleaver with “kaffir” — infidel in
Arabic — on the blade. Prosecutors say
they intended to attack police or military
Prosecutor Bill Emlyn Jones said the
defendants probably intended to use
their cars as weapons in an attack, as well
as knives and the pipe bomb.
Judge Henry Globe sentenced Ali,
Hussain and Rahman to life with no
chance of parole for 20 years. He said
Aziz, a late recruit to the plot, must ser ve
at least 15 years before being considered
The judge noted that Britain had
experienced four deadly attacks during
the four and a half-month trial. He
said that had the “musketeers” gang
not been caught, “there would have
been not dissimilar terrorist acts in
this country using at the very least the
explosives and or one or more bladed
The defendants, from central England,
denied the charges and accused police
of planting evidence. Defence lawyers
also criticiced the decision to hear from
two witnesses in secret as they discussed
claims by the defendants that Britain’s
domestic spy agency had tried to recruit
Gareth Peirce, lawyer for Ali and
Hussain, released a statement after
concern that the jury in this case has got
it wrong”. — AP
Man gets 17 years for torching daughter, 3
A massive pile-up involving 29 vehicles
on a highway in southern Germany has
injured 27 people.
The rear-end collision of two cars
during the last evening’s rush hour on
Bavaria’s Autobahn 8 led to a chain-
reaction crash that stretched 150m.
Police said 27 people were taken to
nearby hospitals and one person was in
a serious condition. Most of the victims
were expected to be quickly released after
There was heavy rain at the time, but a
police spokesman said investigators had
yet to determine if weather played a role.
An eastbound portion of the highway
that takes drivers towards Munich has
been closed off. A several-kilometre-
long back-up was reported near the scene
of the pile-up, between the towns of
Adelzhausen and Odelzhausen. — DPA
Investigation director James Comey,
who was fired by President Donald
Trump, has signed a deal for a book
on leadership and decision-making
that will come out in spring 2018,
the publisher said yesterday.
The book deal with Macmillan’s
Flatiron Books comes three months
after Comey ’s firing raised questions
about whether Trump tried to
interfere with the FBI’s probe into
Russia’s alleged meddling with the
American presidential election.
Russia denies any interference,
and Trump has denied collusion
with Russia and interfering with the
The book, which has not yet been
given a title, will discuss “what good,
ethical leadership looks like and
how it drives sound decisions,” Bob
Miller, president of Macmillan’s
Flatiron Books, said in a statement.
Flatiron won the rights to the book
after an auction and did not respond
to a request for comment.
In addition to reflections on
Comey ’s interactions with Trump
this year, the book will feature
anecdotes from his role in leading an
investigation into the use of a private
e-mail ser ver by Democrat Hillary
Clinton during her 2016 presidential
Comey ’s announcement that the
FBI was reopening the Clinton
e-mail investigation days before the
November election led to accusations
by some Democrats that he was
unfairly influencing the outcome.
The FBI eventually closed the probe
without taking any action. — Reuters
Ex-FBI boss Comey signs book deal
A Perth father who set his three-
year-old daughter alight and doused
her seven-year-old autistic sister
with petrol while in a drug-induced
psychosis has been sentenced to 17
years behind bars.
Edward John Herbert admitted
intending to murder the girls at
the family’s Doubleview home in
August 2015, but pleaded not guilty
to five charges, claiming insanity, a
defence that Western Australian
Supreme Court Justice Lindy
Jenkins rejected in April after his
Herbert had been drinking almost
a carton of beer and smoking $50
worth of cannabis a day in the weeks
leading up to the attack, in which he
inflicted life-threatening burns to
13% of his youngest daughter’s body
and left her permanently scarred.
Earlier that night, the 45-year-old
shouted that aliens were coming to
get him and said: “ The werewolf is
coming at 12 o’clock. ”
He ran around naked and grabbed
a knife, telling his now ex-partner he
was going to kill her as she fled the
house in fear.
Off-duty policewoman Stephanie
Bochorsky heard a commotion from
her nearby home and ran into the
She fought back tears as she told
the trial she saw the three-year-old
standing up in her cot with “her
whole head on fire” and put out the
flames using a blanket.
She then saw Herbert pouring
petrol over the autistic girl as she
lay in her bed and dragged the child
out of the house while holding her
The trial heard a different
neighbour rushed in with a fire
extinguisher and found Herbert
naked, pacing and drinking beer in
He told the neighbour he burned
his daughter because she was “too
f—ing beautiful”, then lunged at the
man with a knife but was hit on the
head with the fire extinguisher.
When another neighbour rescued
Herbert ’s six-year-old son, the
offender told her: “Don’t worry, I
wouldn’t have lit me boy up.”
Prosecutor Amanda Forrester said
the boy had to be physically removed
from his bed as he was frozen with
fear from what he had heard.
If the policewoman had not
inter vened, it was highly likely
Herbert would have set his older
daughter alight, Forrester said.
Aside from disfigurement, the
younger girl had suffered damaged
vocal chords and hearing and would
continue to feel pain from her burns,
Justice Jenkins commended the
neighbours for acting quickly and
courageously, saying Bochorsky
saved the girls’ lives.
Herbert, who no longer suffers
from psychosis or bi-polar disorder,
has been banned from contact with
his daughters and ex-partner under
lifetime restraining orders, while
an order applying to his son will
expire two years after his release
Defence lawyer Mara Barone said
her client had told his psychiatrist
he felt profound shame and guilt and
was in “hell” knowing what he had
done to his daughter.
Justice Jenkins told Herbert his ex-
partner had said he had “broken her
heart into many pieces”. — AAP
Links Archive August 3rd 2017 August 5th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page