Home' Greymouth Star : January 16th 2018 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Chinese ships are racing to
clean up an oil spill after an
Iranian tanker sank in the East
The 120 square kilometre oil
slick is thought to be made up of
heavy fuel that was used to power
The Sanchi sank yesterday and
officials said all its crew members
It was carrying 136,000 tonnes
of ultra-light crude oil from
Iran which generates a toxic
under water slick that would be
invisible from the surface.
Both the fuel and the ultra-
light oil could cause devastating
damage to marine life.
The Sanchi and a freighter
collided 260km off Shanghai on
January 6, with the tanker then
drifting south-east towards Japan.
It caught fire after the collision
and burned for more than a week
before sinking off China’s east
Iranian officials now say all 32
crew members — 30 Iranians
and two Bangladeshis — on the
tanker were killed.
Yesterday, China Central
Television said a search and
rescue operation had been
cancelled and a clean-up
operation had begun after a fire
on the surface was extinguished.
They said two ships were
spraying the water with chemical
agents designed to dissolve the
The BBC said the oil slick had
more than doubled in size since
The big concern now was for the
environmental impact, he said.
There could also be a very tall
plume of condensate, this ultra-
refined form of oil, underneath
Condensate, which creates
products such as jet fuel, is very
different from the black crude
often seen in oil spills.
It is toxic, low in density and
considerably more explosive than
The cause of the collision is still
Some 13 vessels and an Iranian
commando unit took part in
the salvage operation, amid bad
On Saturday, salvage workers
boarded the vessel and found the
bodies of two crew members in a
lifeboat. Only one other body had
been found during the week of
The rescue workers also
retrieved the ship’s black box
but had to leave quickly because
of the toxic smoke and high
temperatures. — BB C
Huge oil spill after burning tanker sinks
This photograph from the Transport Ministry of China shows smoke and flames coming from the
burning oil tanker Sanchi.
The widow of infamous British
aristocrat Lord Lucan, who vanished
when suspected of the murder of the
family nanny, has left her fortune to a
Lady Veronica Lucan, who has
three children, was estranged from
her husband when nanny Sandra
Rivett was murdered in 1974.
“At a time when over 300,000
people in Britain are without a home,
we are incredibly grateful for the
support we receive. The proceeds from
Lady Lucan’s estate will help Shelter
to continue fighting bad housing and
homelessness,” said a spokesperson
for the British charity.
Shelter said at the end of 2017 the
number of homeless people in Britain
had risen by 13,000 in a year. It said
one in every 200 people in England
Lord Lucan disappeared hours
after nanny Sandra Rivett was
found bludgeoned to death in his
house in central London. A car he
was using was later found on the
south English coast with a length of
It was alleged the peer had mistaken
the nanny for his wife Veronica,
who was also attacked and fled to a
nearby pub covered in blood to raise
the alarm. She later identified her
husband as the assailant.
Lady Lucan was found dead at
home in September last year.
Her daughter, Camilla Bingham,
revealed that her mother had
left her estate, the value of which
has not been reported, to the
charity in an inter view with the
Mail on Sunday newspaper.
Lord Lucan’s widow leaves fortune to homeless charity
to public faith
A blunder that caused more than a
million people in Hawaii to fear that
they were about to be struck by a nuclear
missile is feeding scepticism about the
Government ’s ability to keep them
informed in a real emergency.
Residents and tourists remained rattled
a day after Sunday ’s mistaken alert was
blasted out to cellphones across the
islands with a warning to seek immediate
shelter and the ominous statement, “ This
is not a drill”.
“My confidence in our so-called
leaders’ ability to disseminate this
vital information has certainly been
tarnished,” Patrick Day, who sprang
from bed when the alert was issued,
said. “ I would have to think twice before
acting on any future advisory. ”
Authorities said the warning was sent
during a shift change at the State’s
Emergency Management Agency when
someone doing a routine test hit the live
State officials tried to assure residents
there would be no repeat false alarms.
The agency changed protocols to
require that two people send an alert
and made it easier to cancel a false
alarm — a process which took nearly
The error sparked a doomsday panic
across the islands. Parents clutched their
children, huddled in bathtubs and said
prayers. Drivers abandoned cars on a
highway and took shelter in a tunnel.
Others resigned themselves to a fate
they could not control and simply waited
for the attack.
The 911 system for the island of Oahu
was over whelmed with more than 5000
There were no major emergencies
during the false alarm, Mayor Kirk
An investigation into what went
wrong is now under way at the Federal
The Hawaiian Government “did
not have reasonable safeguards or
process controls in place to prevent
the transmission of a false alert”, FCC
chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement,
calling the mistake
unacceptable”. — AP
97 convicted over PNG
Ninety-seven people have been
convicted of murder at a mass trial in
Papua New Guinea over sorcery-related
killings in 2014 that shocked the nation,
local media reports say.
The National newspaper said at the
trial on Friday at the Madang National
Court, all 97 accused were found guilty
of killing seven people.
They had all pleaded not guilty in
The sentencing will take place at a later
Prosecutors alleged that the convicted
were part of a group of 189 men,
including 69 juveniles, wearing tribal
war paints, who travelled to Sakiko
village with the intent of seeking out and
A bystander was killed by members
of the group on the way to the village,
Judge David Cannings told the court.
The group then attacked the village
and brutally killed six residents with
bows and arrows and bush knives and
axes. Among the dead were two boys
aged three and five.
Superstition is rooted in some of the
tribal cultures in PNG, which has seen
a spate of attacks in recent years in
A six-year-old girl was tortured last
year after being accused of witchcraft.
Her mother had been killed in a similar
attack four years earlier. — DPA
‘Bookkeeper of Auschwitz’
asks for clemency
A 96-year-old German convicted
over his role in the murders of 300,000
people at the Auschwitz death camp in
Nazi-occupied Poland has filed a plea for
clemency, a regional justice spokesman
Oskar Groening, known as the
“ bookkeeper of Auschwitz”,
sentenced to four years in prison in
2015 for being an accessory to murder
at Auschwitz. But he has not yet started
his sentence due to a dispute about his
constitutional court ruled Groening
must go to jail, rejecting arguments from
his lawyers that imprisonment at his
advanced age would violate his right to
Christian Lauenstein, spokesman for
the justice ministry in the northern
State of Lower Saxony where the 2015
trial took place, said Groening’s plea for
c lemency had been passed on to public
He added: “A plea for clemency does
not have a delaying effect such as on
starting the prison sentence. ”
The public prosecutor’s office was not
immediately available to comment.
Groening’s court battle was seen as
one of the last major trials related to
the Holocaust, during which some six
million Jews were murdered by Adolf
Prosecutors said Groening — who did
not kill anyone himself while working
at Auschwitz — had helped support
the regime responsible for mass murder
by sorting bank notes seized from
trainloads of arriving Jews.
Groening admitted he was morally
guilty for the work he carried out at
Auschwitz, which included sending
bank notes he found in Jews’ luggage to
SS offices in Berlin, where they helped
to fund the Nazi war effort. — Reuters
UKIP leader splits with
girlfriend over texts
UKIP leader Henry Bolton says he has
ended his relationship with Jo Marney
after it was reported she made racist
remarks about Meghan Markle.
Bolton admitted that the relationship
was “obviously quite incompatible”
with his position as party chief and the
“romantic” side of their relationship had
He said he would continue to support
the family of Marney, who had been left
“distraught ” by the revelations.
The Mail on Sunday printed texts it
said had been sent by Marney, including
use of the word “Negro” and a message
reading “This is Britain, not Africa”
during a discussion about the royal
In an inter view with ITV’s Good
Morning Britain, Bolton said: “I don’t
defend these comments whatsoever and
indeed Jo has been suspended pending
an investigation under the normal rules
of the party for such things and it is
against the constitution for the party to
be racist in any way.
“As of last night the romantic side of
our relationship is ended.”
Bolton has also faced widespread calls
for his resignation, but he made it clear
he wanted to stay as the party leader,
saying “there are a great many people
who fully support me”.
He said he had been with her for four
days when her messages were revealed,
and had “no idea” about her reported
views. — PA
SPONSORED BY THE
The generosity of people like you make such
a difference for those in the health system.
How would you like to give to the Kowhai
Donation Amount $
to be paid to Maia Health Foundation
Payment options are direct credit to our bank
account, credit card payment, or a deposit of
cash or a cheque to Westpac Greymouth or
I (we) plan to make this contribution in the
Please debit my credit card
For a direct credit, the Westpac bank
account number is 03 1700 0303533 03.
Please include Kowhai and your name
as a reference.
Or go to Kowhai Project on Give A Little.
For a credit card payment please provide
the cardholder’s name, the card number
and expiry date to jo.starr@maiahealth.
org.nz or via telephone 03 378 6134
and post the completed form to Maia
Health Foundation, PO Box 36-757,
Or you can drop your donation into
Westpac Greymouth or Hokitika along
with this form.
Donation receipt required?
Please use the following name(s) in all
I (we) wish to have our gift
I (we) wish to opt out of the Maia Health
The Kowhai Project – We need your help!
Let’s help raise $350,000 for green spaces
around the new Greymouth Hospital
Links Archive January 15th 2018 January 17th 2018 Navigation Previous Page Next Page