Home' Greymouth Star : January 4th 2019 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, January 4, 2019 - 9
ARIES (Mar 21-Apr 19): Is your opinion causing
controversy? You could be utterly wrong – or
utterly right. Either way, the winning move is
to take a breath and hear the others out. All
benefit from the civil airing of ideas.
TAURUS (Apr 20-May 20): Inspiration is everywhere
you go – in the grasses underfoot, the clouds
overhead, the hand of someone. Scenery
feeds your imagination, love even more so.
GEMINI (May 21-Jun 21): The dance of love is a push,
pull affair. The tango is on. The trickiest part
is keeping the distance between you at the
optimum ratio to create strong tension and
still maintain freedom of motion.
CANCER (Jun 22-Jul 22): Your approval rating is going
up. Try not to pay too much attention to that,
just as you didn’t give it too much attention
when it was going down. It’s not their job to
like you. That job falls squarely to you.
LEO (Jul 23-Aug 22): You’re not searching for yourself
anymore. You know who you are, and you
reserve the right to change your mind or
even your personality, at any time because
who you are goes deeper than those things.
VIRGO (Aug 23-Sep 22): When your brain is firing on all
cylinders, you feel brightly alive. And when
your brain is a din of unhelpful chatter, you
feel far less so. Rigorous exercise will work
wonders to reset your mental energy.
LIBRA (Sep 23-Oct 23): Try not to make up reasons
why something won’t work before you try it.
This is just fear talking because your mind
doesn’t like uncertainty. That’s OK. Let it talk,
but walk forward anyway.
SCORPIO (Oct 24-Nov 21): When you feel secure in
your relationship, you’re more likely to take
risks in other areas, especially in regard to
professional advancement. To know you’re
loved is a beautiful thing to fall back on.
SAGITTARIUS (Nov 22-Dec 21): While necessity may
be the mother of invention, too much need
and hardship can keep a person’s mind from
working at peak performance. Seek a gentle
pace. Take care of yourself.
CAPRICORN (Dec 22-Jan 19): Maybe life can be easy
and still satisfy your need for a challenge.
The mountain to climb has more to do with
creativity than hardship. It’s about finding the
stimulus to push your imagination.
AQUARIUS (Jan 20-Feb 18): A pound of learning
requires 10 pounds of common sense to use
it. Theoretical knowledge will pale next to
even the most minimal practical experience,
so wherever possible, go in person.
PISCES (Feb 19-Mar 20): Your self-control will be in
strong supply, and that’s why you may find
yourself mentally bickering with someone.
Actual bickering would be regrettable since,
ultimately, those details are petty.
Fill the grid so that every column, every row and 3x3 box contains the digits 1 to 9.
Across: 1. Sharp 4. Varnish 8. Interrogation 10. Twice
11. Node 12. Wild 16. Evert 17. The first thing
19. Seminar 20. Swept
Down: 1. Swimming baths 2. Art 3. Purity 4. Violin
5. Reader 6. Imitative 7. Hundredweight 9. End-of-term
13. Design 14. Lesser 15. States 18. Ice
1. Study the paper pattern and think about it (11)
8. Stage performer roughly backing to the right (5)
9. Struggle that may show who will defect first (3,4)
10. Produced young and got included as marked (7)
11. Richard the First getting awards for clothing (5)
12. They enable one to draw lines of kings and queens (6)
14. Strange way to quote inclusion of animal when reversing (6)
18. Grasp fifty who are in tented accommodation (5)
19. Used to a race with a French newspaper boss (7)
21. Vehicle cleaner takes one back to (7)
23. Bottle of hydrogen given to one chum takes in (5)
24. Rattles one with a girl’s musical entertainments (11)
1. Poor actor to be in the credit, if there’s room (7)
2. Two things tennis players use of a different game (7)
3. Was wrong to express hesitation to a revolutionary (5)
4. Take off the staff involved in wages (6)
5. Sheep disease gave hart an upset with unknown quantity (7)
6. Bend ear: it takes an age to do so (3)
7. Urge a part of the media? (5)
13. Answers the traveller with falsehoods (7)
15. Granite has more of a flavour, perhaps, in Africa (7)
16. Embraces fifty CDs due to be put out (7)
17. It shows one had the needle with army display (6)
18. Hidden store is of money, one hears (5)
20. Is at the head, and in charge of what’s to be discussed (5)
22. Compute sum of Anno Domini 500 (3)
7. Logic (6)
8. Mariner (6)
10. Go before (7)
11. Skilled (5)
12. Tardy (4)
13. Prise (5)
17. Bear (5)
18. Decrease (4)
22. Strategies (5)
23. Clothing (7)
24. Idea (6)
25. Fingers (6)
1. Maim (7)
2. Artist’s board (7)
3. Envy (5)
4. Cure for all ills (7)
5. Hints (5)
6. Verity (5)
9. Practice session (9)
14. Hearing distance (7)
15. A sharp bend (7)
16. One who accepts the truth
19. Exhausted (5)
20. Throws (5)
21. Divided (5)
Across: 6. Eat away 7. Toxic 9. Keg 10. Legislate
12. Magnificent 15. War of nerves 17. Strictest 19. Job
21. Foxed 22. Faraway
Down: 1. Fated 2. Jam 3. Lane 4. Collected 5. Fitting
8. Pilfer 11. Canonised 13. Nonets 14. Caution 16. Total
18. Scam 20. Dab
Puzzles and horoscopes
Previous cryptic solution
Previous quick solution
Simon Shuker’s Code Cracker
Insert the missing letter to complete
an eight-letter word reading
clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Previous solution: EERINESS
How many words of three or more
letters, including plurals, can you make
only once? No foreign words or words
beginning with a capital are allowed.
Good 8 Ve ry Good 12 Excellent 14
Previous solution: ahs, ash, asp, hap,
haps, harp, harps, has, hasp, pah, par,
pars, pas, pash, rah, rahs, rap, raps,
rash, rasp, sap, sharp, spa, spar
Links Archive January 3rd 2019 January 5th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page